dirts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Again, that's a slightly immature viewpoint; and also unnecessary. I don't need to know everything about what it's like for the people on the ground, because my job does not always directly influence that. You're right that the training you'd receive as a pilot is exceptionally hard. Exceptionally.
Our job always influences people on the ground, always! Never forget that. We're not God's gift just because we fly in the heavens, merely pawns at a politician's whim. The training was hard, sure. But so is that of a lawyer, doctor or any other demanding vocation.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was just reading through the RAF 'Fit for Action' booklet, and was amused to find the following advise to people wanting to join. " Cut drinking alcohol to a minimum" :eek: Is that because you make up for it afterwards??

And I must remember to attach the shuttle run tables in FAQ's. :rolleyes:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I was just reading through the RAF 'Fit for Action' booklet, and was amused to find the following advise to people wanting to join. " Cut drinking alcohol to a minimum" :eek: Is that because you make up for it afterwards??

And I must remember to attach the shuttle run tables in FAQ's. :rolleyes:
I've got the same booklet maybe they like us all to fall about drunk after one drink in the mess :p:
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
So how are you going to feel when the RAF send you to fly something which isn't your top choice? Very niaive to assume that you'll get your first choice. Do you really want to be a pilot, or what?

What does this give you over any other candidate? The only difference is that you've been "paid a wage." What about the airman aircrew and RAF trade guys applying; how will you stand out from them? A university graduate with 3 years on a UAS and 60 hours flying, with a high average pass at EFT? Someone straight from school who aced their A levels while working as a volunteer, raising money for charity, and holding down a part time job?

There's nothing specifically impressive about passing Army basic training. Compared to 99% of the stuff you claim to want to get into; IOT, flying training et al; it's vastly simpler. You'll be in competition with some very bright, very capable, very very intelligent high achieving people. I don't want to rubbish anything you're saying, but you get many, many more high quality graduates in the RAF than you do crossover ex-Army NCOs.

You'll find that people on IOT manage their 1.5 miles in 7 mins 30 secs, or at least some did when I arrived there. Do not arrive thinking that an Army level of fitness puts you necessarily anywhere near the top level of fitness an RAF officer will have.

With reference to other candidates, I don't mean to be harsh, but look at the level of your spelling and grammar to begin with. How's that going to come across on an application form? How's that going to seem when you try to make your first impression to an interviewing officer? How is your English diagnostic test going to weight your application? I don't claim to be perfect when it comes to the written word by a long shot, but think about it.

You're completely right that successfully joining the forces does not mean you're what they want yet. However, it's extremely immature to claim that a small amount of Army basic training means you're what the RAF want from an officer and a pilot. Are you suggesting that your training could enable you to jump some of IOT? The further officer development? Flying training? You're what the Army want from a young guy straight in as a soldier; not what we look for in an officer.

Again, that's a slightly immature viewpoint; and also unnecessary. I don't need to know everything about what it's like for the people on the ground, because my job does not always directly influence that. You're right that the training you'd receive as a pilot is exceptionally hard. Exceptionally. The numbers who pass out from the end of fast jet training are absolutely tiny; even EFT is likely to stretch you much, much more than anything you'll have done in the Army.

It doesn't work like that. See my above comment; I wouldn't be inclined to just give up and not fly again because I don't know how much someone on the ground would appreciate my last sortie. You do your job to the best of your ability, all the time, regardless of what the specifics of that job are, because you're a professional.

I know this will seem like another of the remarkably harsh posts that I tend to get critical private messages about all the time, but I hope it serves as a minor reality check. Based on what you've said, you do not come across as anywhere near ready to become an officer in the RAF, nor to become a pilot. Congratulations on having your sights set on something, but do not become complacent for a second and think that anything you've done in the Army will be of any help whatsoever. You seem to have very little idea about the work you'd be doing and the training you'd receive, and fair enough, you're at the beginning of thinking about it so that's to be accepted. I applaud your confidence, but if you came out with some of the comments you've made to me in an interview I wouldn't rank you any higher.

You need to research this job long and hard, and I fully recommend you do. Have you thought about the AAC properly? Do you know what life in the RAF is like compared to the Army? Did you realise you could be an NCO pilot in the AAC, removing the need for officer training? How much studying have you done?

Feel free to PM, email, or reply with your thoughts.
Ever thought about being a judge, or a jury member? Or maybe just the executioner?
shazzam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I tried looking throught this thread for the answer to my question but its so long and :confused:
When the officer entry simply says '2 A levels' is it no more specific as to which A levels?
This is more a question about the FAA and I don't do any scientific or maths A levels and won't be doing that kind of degree either so am I at a disadvantage? Even though on the Royal Navy site in the Aircrew Officer it says 2 A levels without being specific. Is this the same for the RAF?
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
2 A Levels means 2 A levels and nothing more. They will be the judge of whether you have what it takes, not AQA, EXECEL et al.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Shazzam, is your question around the 'A' levels you need? As you've already read, the 'A' levels don't need to be for any specific subject, although they would probably be looked on more favourably if they were academic rather than vocational type subjects. And there're lots of peope on here applying for pilot without having maths or science based 'A' levels so don't worry. They only make you eligible to apply anyway, the real test of ability comes through the aptitude tests. Both Maths and English are needed at GCSE though.

It'd probably be useful to do a search on the thread for 'A' levels as the subject has come up a number of times.
jon.s
Report 14 years ago
Just to update you guys.....

I received a letter from OASC regarding a change in the fitness requirements to pass the test at OASC. In the bleep test/shuttle run a 17 - 24 year old male must achieve a MINIMUM of level 9.10 and they have also introduced a press up and sit up test which are 13 and 35 respectively, in a minute. Some of you may recognise that this is now similiar to the RAF fitness test which is undertaken by RAF personnel annually. Extra credit will still be given for exceeding the levels mentioned.

If any info on the other age groups or for females is needed please leave a post and I will find out as soon as possible.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm guessing I'll get my letter tomorrow then
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jon.s)
Just to update you guys.....

I received a letter from OASC regarding a change in the fitness requirements to pass the test at OASC. In the bleep test/shuttle run a 17 - 24 year old male must achieve a MINIMUM of level 9.10 and they have also introduced a press up and sit up test which are 13 and 35 respectively, in a minute. Some of you may recognise that this is now similiar to the RAF fitness test which is undertaken by RAF personnel annually. Extra credit will still be given for exceeding the levels mentioned.

If any info on the other age groups or for females is needed please leave a post and I will find out as soon as possible.
Hey, I almost got the minimum for guys in the shuttle run
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Our job always influences people on the ground, always! Never forget that.
Not exactly what I wanted to get across. I don't think you can be criticised as a pilot because you don't have a full understanding of what it's like to be there on the ground. I don't think I know anyone who'd do their job better if they had been on the ground themselves; I'm sure they all do it as well as they can regardless.

While everything you do on the front line when off on ops does affect those on the ground, my point was more that the way most go about their job isn't influenced by those anywhere else. The way they act, the professionalism they display and the work they do doesn't change just because they don't know exactly how it is to be on the ground at that end.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Ever thought about being a judge, or a jury member? Or maybe just the executioner?
No, but I did once think about getting involved in recruiting, and did wind up as an interviewer. Then I interviewed a lot of chaps like poor jskarl there. I get a lot of fairly offensive PMs and emails, and replies like this, whenever I say anything which isn't directly complimentary to people here. There were a lot of things he said which would come across very badly at OASC, and it's better he hears it here rather than there.

I've only ever done my best to offer advice here. I passed selection a pretty long time ago, and my time working there's getting a bit distant, but I'm sure most of it is still valid.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Although i disagree with what you say, I will fight to the death your right to say it...

Wzz comes on here completely voluntarily to help prospective pilots and officers alike. He gives very useful information which you can use to your advantage and prepare yourself for the onslaught at OASC.

Will you guys just stop being so critical about what he says and just take it in, he has after all, been there, done that, and got the results.

Cal
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Glad you find some of it useful.

To be fair, there are a lot of people who have been to OASC, quite a few who have passed, and a good selection who are doing the job; some with more experience than me. There's at least one other chap working in recruiting, and more recently than me, so I'm far from unique. But, I do try to help.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Glad you find some of it useful.

To be fair, there are a lot of people who have been to OASC, quite a few who have passed, and a good selection who are doing the job; some with more experience than me. There's at least one other chap working in recruiting, and more recently than me, so I'm far from unique. But, I do try to help.
Thank you very much Wzz.

I know alot of the people who are serious about the RAF listen to you and don't give you critical responses. Just don't think that you are wasting your time with us.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which officers are those then?
I've got one-and-a-half I know of! One guy who emailed me a lot for advice got into IOT and passed out earlier this year. I heard from him a few times during IOT, which was very kind of him; and it was very nice to get an email from him post-IOT thanking me for the tips and advice.

There's another fairly regular contributor who I like to secretly think I've helped a fair bit, who's in the process of polishing his boots for day 1; so hopefully some of the tips I've thrown his was for IOT will help him get through it too.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which officers are those then?
Well you are a prospective officer, and if you have read his posts then i can imagine he has helped you in some way.

So have some of the people you're addressing that to!
If so, then the people i'm addressing that too should grow up a bit and they should be less critical about what he says.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When he said "prospective pilots and officers alike" I assumed he meant "prospective pilots" and "prospective officers."

I doubt I've got much to say that anyone with a commission will find remotely useful, but that's not the point here.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Officers that post on this thread?

And my point, addressed to Cal, was that there are other experienced RAF officers and military personnel that post a lot of valuable advice on this thread, something he didn't seem to be aware of.
I am very much aware of that, stop picking at my arguments.

You have contributed, i would even like to think that i have contributed. I think that for someone who volunteers to give us alot of useful information (and i know alot of other people volunteer, bla, bla, bla), he gets treated worse than anyone else.

Just give the guy a break, he is helping us!!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree
... unless they happen to be doing any of the training I've been through, in which case I like to think I could offer something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.25%
No (599)
65.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed