BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not going to get involved, but I think Cal was referring to prospective officers in general, not officers on here. Maybe it came across the wrong way

Wzz has been very helpful, as have others. About 5 or so I can remember off the top of my head. A lot of people have put work into this thread, not all officers, not all personnel. There is no need to critisise one in particular, it is a fact that Wzz has spent the most time trying to help people. 18 months, and hundreds of posts.
mankyscot2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I'm not disputing that I've had a lot of help from this thread. And my 'picking at your arguments' was in resposne to your criticism of the other experienced officers who have voiced an opinion,and disagreed with what has been said. We don't all have to agree with one another all the time! And one person doesn't have all the answers.
Oh for god sake, i'm not saying that one person has all the answers, i challenge you to find a thread in which i say that 'Wzz has all the answers, don't listen to anyone else'. I don't think that I am at all saying that other people don't contribute, and i think you are making a fool of yourself for saying that I am.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
... and I think everyone's dragging this thread suitably off its topic.

Nobody has to agree with me, nobody has to listen to anything I've got to say. I've always mentioned that I've worked in recruiting, but not for a few years, and therefore don't know everything that goes on at OASC now; but I did once, and it doesn't seem to change much.

If people think I'm talking nonsense, then so be it. With regard to my opinions on interviewees, I used to be one of the guys filling out the report sheet so I can still remember how certain things made me react and what they made me think of a candidate. Whether or not I'm representative of all the interviewers at OASC now is debatable, but I was taught by the same people they are.

Same as anything else; I do my best to help, and in the face of negative comments it's nice to have the occasional good one. If I posted somewhere like here purely for the plaudits I wouldn't have lasted a week. If anyone really still wants to discuss this, feel free to drag it over to the chat thread, but I don't think this is the place for it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Fair enough If it wasn't meant in that way then my apologies for the misinterpretation.

I agree. My criticism was not aimed at wzz it was in relation to

"stop being so critical about what he says and just take it in, he has after all, been there, done that, and got the results."

when at least one of the people that was addressed to has also been there, done that, and got the tee-shirt.
I know, I was just making a point to the whole topic in general
cwarranto
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
... and I think everyone's dragging this thread suitably off its topic.
Here Here !

Change of direction approaching....

Anybody heard about the new Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR) that will be operational from April 6th 2005? Suposed to be tri-service. What part is the RAF playing in this? Air Platform / photo recc.??

News is public domain btw.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Here Here !

Change of direction approaching....

Anybody heard about the new Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR) that will be operational from April 6th 2005? Suposed to be tri-service. What part is the RAF playing in this? Air Platform / photo recc.??

News is public domain btw.
Is this anything to do with the amalgamation of the RAF Reg that I've been hearing rumours about?
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Is this anything to do with the amalgamation of the RAF Reg that I've been hearing rumours about?
Not that I know of, but that sounds like a good band waggon? Can I hop on and have a look?
ravnos
Report 14 years ago
Hey all

Just thought id do a little post and ask ppls opinions on the coming changes to OASC selection. 'Change to fitness test and the new individual test'. Personally I think its quite good and gives you the opportunity to show off what you can do individually more and not just primarily focus on team efforts. But that’s just my opinion. What you guys think?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ravnos)
Hey all

Just thought id do a little post and ask ppls opinions on the coming changes to OASC selection. 'Change to fitness test and the new individual test'. Personally I think its quite good and gives you the opportunity to show off what you can do individually more and not just primarily focus on team efforts. But that’s just my opinion. What you guys think?
I never saw the bleep test as a team effort in the first place
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Not that I know of, but that sounds like a good band waggon? Can I hop on and have a look?
Sure, why not! Heard a couple of officers talking about it so a very big rumour at that.

Can anyone tell me when the C-17s lease is up?
ravnos
Report 14 years ago
I never saw the bleep test as a team effort in the first place

I was meaning the individual situation analysis test. Glad that there are extra tests as well as bleep test now. Like press up test and sit up test.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ravnos)
I was meaning the individual situation analysis test. Glad that there are extra tests as well as bleep test now. Like press up test and sit up test.
I don't quite see your point as to how a press up and sit up test will show anything that a hanger exercise or three won't, other than 'Gee he/she is fit'. The fitness test is about fitness, nothing else. There are other exercises to show team and individual efforts. As for individual situation analysis test, what on earth are you on about, I've never heard anything referred to as that.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Can anyone tell me when the C-17s lease is up?

Thought i'd go have a look into this one. Found a news piece from july 2002 talk about the recently then signed C-17 deal, The lease is for 7 years, So that would mean if 2002 is the start date anyway, that the lease ends 2009

edit: Just found on boeing website, first C-17 was delivered May 2001. So thats 2008 the lease would end
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't quite see your point as to how a press up and sit up test will show anything that a hanger exercise or three won't, other than 'Gee he/she is fit'. The fitness test is about fitness, nothing else. There are other exercises to show team and individual efforts. As for individual situation analysis test, what on earth are you on about, I've never heard anything referred to as that.
Well, I think the fitness test at OASC is a bit daft. After all, if you're not fit on OASC, you can get fit pre-boots course. If not fit on your boots course, you can get fit by IOT. If not fit on IOT day one, then you need a slap, but also there's no reason why you can't be shoved onto holding flight and forcibly made fit before the next course starts.

I don't think a candidate's relative fitness when they pitch up for selection has any bearing on their ability. If the "individual situational analysis" test is a term for the "individual problem" we used to give everyone, then it's a shame that's gone. It's good that you have to work as a team for the group problem, and defend the whole plan solo, but it was great seeing how people work through them on their own. Bring it back, if it isn't still there!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Thought i'd go have a look into this one. Found a news piece from july 2002 talk about the recently then signed C-17 deal, The lease is for 7 years, So that would mean if 2002 is the start date anyway, that the lease ends 2009
you are an absolute star! Thank you so much!!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you are an absolute star! Thank you so much!!
No problem

hope you saw the edit, its a year earlier
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, I think the fitness test at OASC is a bit daft. After all, if you're not fit on OASC, you can get fit pre-boots course. If not fit on your boots course, you can get fit by IOT. If not fit on IOT day one, then you need a slap, but also there's no reason why you can't be shoved onto holding flight and forcibly made fit before the next course starts.

I don't think a candidate's relative fitness when they pitch up for selection has any bearing on their ability. If the "individual situational analysis" test is a term for the "individual problem" we used to give everyone, then it's a shame that's gone. It's good that you have to work as a team for the group problem, and defend the whole plan solo, but it was great seeing how people work through them on their own. Bring it back, if it isn't still there!
I know what you mean, but then again I suppose it is a way to show motivation, not only fitness.

As for the individual problem, I've heard several recruiters say they would like to see that back again and its not a bad idea. As for individual situational analysis, god knows what that means, it isn't in any of my OASC books.
ravnos
Report 14 years ago
Im off to do my OASC selection on June 5th. Got a letter a few days from the RAF saying that there will be changes to the selection as of 1st May 2005. Firstly they say they need fitter people because too many people have not been fit enough to undertake IOT or get injured during it. Hence the candidated need to be able to meet the minimum pre-joining fitness test(PJFT). They are looking into fitness testing alot more now so just scraping the minimum might not really do you any favours considering the competetion you will be up against. The fitness test now consists of a bleep test as before, press up test and sit up test. All the required levels are detailed on the letter.

The second test which is new is the Individual Planning Test (situation analysis). The exercise consists of a period of private study in which you can read the setting and work a solution., followed by a short period of questioning by the Board staff about your solution. The main difference is that you carry out the task on your own and not in a group.

OASC is now split like this:

Part 1
Aptitude Tests
Medical
Interview
Review

Part 2
General Discussion
Leaderless Exercise
Group Planning Exercise
Individual Planning Exercise (situation analysis)
COmmand Situation Exercise
Final Interview
Fitness Test

Letter ends by saying the changes have been made to ensure that the RAF selection process is robust and enables candidates of the right quality to be identified.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Now that, makes much more sense
ravnos
Report 14 years ago
If anyone need any information regarding standards now required for fitness tests for OASC let me know. I am not sure what they were before but iv got a revised copy now from the RAF.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.48%
No (593)
65.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise