No worries
ib_northants
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hello all,

Two open questions to the floor for anyone who has
been through OASC (I will be attending June 05):

1) On what day/time did Part 1 finish, and how were you
notified of a pass or failure at this point?

2) For those who got through Part 2 and recieved a
failure notification through the post, what were the
reasons given?

Private message me if you like.

Thanks,

Ian.
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ib_northants)
Hello all,

Two open questions to the floor for anyone who has
been through OASC (I will be attending June 05):

1) On what day/time did Part 1 finish, and how were you
notified of a pass or failure at this point?

2) For those who got through Part 2 and recieved a
failure notification through the post, what were the
reasons given?

Private message me if you like.

Thanks,

Ian.
1) day 3 you find out, at lunchtimeish... its horrible, you have to wait in the lounge for ages before you find out...

2) i didin't get a failure note for ages, cos i got shortlisted... basically, there were more people with better scores than me...
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Big envelope = good news
Little envelope = shortlisted or no
ravnos
Report 14 years ago
Hello.

Im going to OASC in June 05. Mine is on the 5th. When in june is urs?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
Big envelope = good news
Little envelope = shortlisted or no
My success envelope, way back when, was pretty small
anben
Report 14 years ago
hi,

I would be interested to know what i should be aware before getting a pilot selection process. Thanks in advance for your help.

anben

(Original post by Unregistered)
I could certainly help you out on what to do in going down to OASC at RAFC Cranwell - the 4 day selection process, having done it myself and come out of it successful. Although I'm not going to be a pilot, I'm going to keep the aircraft in the sky instead and become an Engineer officer, the same selection process takes place for everyone who goes to cranwell. Post a reply if you want me to tell you more.
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
anben, BlackHawk has spent hour upon hour kindly putting together an FAQ based on the most important info from this thread; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t109388.html

If that still leaves you wanting I suggest you read all of this thread. It'll take time and effort, but I'd get used to that if you want to be a pilot

If you have any specific questions that haven't been covered elsewhere then fire away, there are lots of people more than happy to help.
Live
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ravnos)
Hello.

Im going to OASC in June 05. Mine is on the 5th. When in june is urs?

Ravnos

Im on the June 5th OASC aswell, I was hoping someone else would turn up who was going!! Hows your prep going?

Live
ib_northants
Report 14 years ago
Open shout to the floor regarding the numeracy test.

To what level does this go? I've been practicing basic
arithmetic, times tables, long multiplications, time
speed distance calculations etc. but wondered how
nasty the arithmetic gets.

Does anyone know whether it goes into arduous
long multiplication & division (e.g. 8928 x 9381, or
8732 / 767) with non integers, or is just basic stuff
done repetitively, over and over?

Any info appreciated.

ib.
mole
Report 14 years ago
I think it is basically time/speed questions etc. The site below had some really good info on it and examples of questions but it doesn't seem to be working today, ill keep looking for you.

http://www.timc.clara.net/raf.htm

This one also has some ideas

http://www.raftarget.com/students/aptitude.asp
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Top link was taken offline, rumour has by the MoD.

Second is exactly what the trades based aptitude is like.

Learn your times table, learn how to transfer fractions to percentages quickly and back again, and learn SDT calculations and how to simplify.
Silly Wench
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mole)
I think it is basically time/speed questions etc. The site below had some really good info on it and examples of questions but it doesn't seem to be working today, ill keep looking for you.

http://www.timc.clara.net/raf.htm

This one also has some ideas

http://www.raftarget.com/students/aptitude.asp
Eeek! I just did the test on the second one- I only got 5/8. I think I might need to brush up on my maths skills.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Silly Wench)
Eeek! I just did the test on the second one- I only got 5/8. I think I might need to brush up on my maths skills.
Do you know which ones you didn't get right? Its just a case of practice I guess, I ran through them fairly quickly.
mole
Report 14 years ago
Thanks for putting me right blackhawk!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mole)
Thanks for putting me right blackhawk!
The bottom one is still helpful practise, any menatl maths is!
Bluetooth
Report 14 years ago
What sort of time limit is there for the aptitude tests?
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
6hours ish altogether... they all have diffeent time limits, but i finished most of them within the given time... they also give you 5 minute breaks inbetween groups of tests, which you don't have to take, but do, because you'll be mentally exhausted by the end of them...
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
take a bottle of wter with you as well to keep you hydrated and alert! We started our aptitudes at 11am as they had had a flood in the OASC building...we sat around for about 3 hrs before...alertness levels dropped...!!!
Clairelouise
Report 14 years ago
Just got back from OASC. Does anyone have opinions about the relative importance of the group and individual planning exercises (as in the written ones, not in the hanger) and what they are looking for in each?

I ask because I thought I performed well in the group plan but during the individual plan (a similar exercise) I made some pretty fundamental errors, resulting in my realising halfway through explaining my plan that it was flawed, and had to improvise on the spot, with lots of 'about' and 'approximately' times, most of which were slightly out. I was really annoyed with myself afterwards as I'd shown I could do the maths and planning the day before; then completely undone that good impression! Does anyone have any opinions about how much each exercise 'counts' and whether showing you can do something once then not performing so well the next day is disastrous or forgiveable?!

Also, I understand that some people here used to work in recruiting. A girl in my syndicate said that, in her opinion, the boarding officers had decided who they 'liked' (as in thought were good candidates) in the first two exercises (discussion and group planning) and seemed to direct attention to those people and be more dismissive of others. I hadn't noticed this whatsoever, but she was convinced. Does anyone think this is true, that they form opinions quickly and tend to stick with them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads