Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    oh just something about medical entry to the RAF, whats the RAF's policy on excema? i have excema , its not visable, just a small patch of dry skin behind my ear, never caused me troubles, but have been to the doctor about it and said it was excema, does this affect entrance?

Anyone have any ideas, i mean obviously i'll have to tell them this is i was to get so far as the OASC,
    Eczema is not a bar to entry. You will be asked to disclose all of your medical conditions, but they will have your medical records, which will show anything you have seen a doctor or been to hospital about.

ReputationRep:
    "Sorry, can't answer the first part of your question, but as to the jetstream part.....it has just retired from RAF service (March 19th)!!
    The jetsteam used to part of the WSO training before streaming, but no longer. As far as I'm aware unless you are an instructor you wouldn't have the opportunity to work on the Jetstream (even if it was in service) anyway."

what so you can't be a WSO in the Tornado anymore?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by will 04)
    "Sorry, can't answer the first part of your question, but as to the jetstream part.....it has just retired from RAF service (March 19th)!!
    The jetsteam used to part of the WSO training before streaming, but no longer. As far as I'm aware unless you are an instructor you wouldn't have the opportunity to work on the Jetstream (even if it was in service) anyway."

what so you can't be a WSO in the Tornado anymore?
    Yes you can.

And the Dominie was used pre and post streaming, for radar work then on LLTS.

ReputationRep:
    so what is the overall likelyhood of a navigator being assigned to the fast jet duty? i.e are they a lot more likely to be put on a larger aircraft eg:sentry/nimrod/VC10 etc.

ReputationRep:
    so what is the overall likelyhood of a navigator being assigned to the fast jet duty? i.e are they a lot more likely to be put on a larger aircraft eg:sentry/nimrod/VC10 etc.
    Think you've just answered the question yourself. There's no way any of us here can tell you whether you'd get WSO fast-jet stream, but it's definitely more likely that you won't. Large aircraft can be interesting too!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the posts in this thread are about being a pilot and the recruitment and selection process.

I would be very interested to hear more about the lifestyle of an RAF officer? How much does the job effect family life, do you get chance to be a parent? Does your family have to make sacrifices? How often are you likely to change posting and how often will this be abroad??

I understand that the answers to a lot of these questions will depend on which branch an officer is in and also what kind of person each individual is but I would be interested to here anyones thought, however general!

My particular interests are Admin/Provost/Logistics

ReputationRep:
    mark,
    my dad is a regt officer so i can help with some of the family stuff. i'm 1 of 3 kids so yes you can be a parent, most people are. i started boarding school at 8 when my dad was stationed in germany. it was tough sometimes but i really enjoyed it and the raf help pay the fees. it isn't the easiest lifestyle but it is very rewarding. as a kid, living on base was always good because there are generally other officers with kids the same age etc. most bases tend to have a lot of amenities, gyms pools cinemas etc and obviously the mess. we mpve on average every 2 years so i'm almost 21 and am in my 14th house - my parents have been married for 28 and this is their 21st, which can be tough but it is really small world and i find we always bump into people we know esp when you've been in for a while.
    i think the lifestyle is quite good, im actually off to oasc in 2 weeks so it can't be all that bad. if you can, try to visit a couple of bases eg raf henlow for provost - it will give you insight into the job and let you see how it works and talk to seriving officers. hope that helps a bit
    vikki
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by js_atco)
    Think you've just answered the question yourself. There's no way any of us here can tell you whether you'd get WSO fast-jet stream, but it's definitely more likely that you won't. Large aircraft can be interesting too!
    Actually, right now, you have virtually 100% chance of winding up in the fast jet stream if you're a navigator. Certainly right now, the other streams are full; there are single-figure spaces available for multi engine navs right now; especially as they only fly on the Nimrod and C-130K.

The nav courses have a pass level equal to that required to fly fast jet, so pass and something like 7/8 will go to 100 Sqn.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mark D)
    I would be very interested to hear more about the lifestyle of an RAF officer? How much does the job effect family life, do you get chance to be a parent? Does your family have to make sacrifices? How often are you likely to change posting and how often will this be abroad??
    It really does depend; you're correct when you say it probably varies with branch and personality. For the most part, certainly as aircrew, it's an 8-5 job. You go home at the end of the day and don't pitch up until maybe 7 at the earliest if you're up first thing. You'll definately get moved, but again it's very different for aircrew; as a Jaguar pilot for example, you could only be based at RAF Coltishall when in flying appointments, before moving (partially through volunteering) to desk-based appointments.

You can definately be a parent and raise a family. Postings abroad are voluntary for aircrew right now (opposed to shorter deployments); the days of RAF Germany etc have finished. You can volunteer to go on exchanges etc but they're very rare.

ReputationRep:
    Found a link in another post on this site which is really useful

www.militaryforums.co.uk

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    hi there

im applying to become a pilot in RAF. ive spoken to wing commander kennedy and he has told me how to improve myself. however i know about the fitness test so i was wondering if anyone knows where i can download a bleep test program so i can train using it as running alone wont really prepare u.also does anyone know the minimum height requirements for a pilot and the arms reach as well b'cos im not sure about that. in fact any info on the medical will be greatly accepted thanks

Wing Commander Wong (sounds good eh)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wing Commander)
    i know about the fitness test so i was wondering if anyone knows where i can download a bleep test program so i can train using it as running alone wont really prepare u.
    Actually, running alone WILL prepare you. You just need to be fit; if you can run for 10 miles quite happily I should imagine you'll crack the minimum levels required in the bleep test.

Don't try to train specifically for it, as it means nothing in selection compared to the interview or syndicate phase, and at IOT it means very little if you can't do all the other physical things.

Get walking up hills. Get out running. Get to the gym. Swim lots. Don't sit doing 20m shuttle runs, it won't help.

also does anyone know the minimum height requirements for a pilot and the arms reach as well b'cos im not sure about that. in fact any info on the medical will be greatly accepted thanks
    The medical's a bit far-ranging to give "any info" on to be honest. As far as measurements go, there are upper and lower limits for sitting height, buttock-knee and buttock-heel lengths and well as "functional reach" of your arms, rather than an overreaching "minimum height." I'm afraid I can't remember off the top of my head what they are, but I'll see if I can look them up.

I wouldn't say that in your interview

And I know that the senior careers liason officers are all retired now, but next time you read this post, I think it'd be advisable to edit the name out that you mention at the beginning. It's not really that smart to put any military officer's name out in the public domain.

ReputationRep:
    hi there

im applying to become a pilot in RAF. ive spoken to wing commander kennedy and he has told me how to improve myself. however i know about the fitness test so i was wondering if anyone knows where i can download a bleep test program so i can train using it as running alone wont really prepare u.also does anyone know the minimum height requirements for a pilot and the arms reach as well b'cos im not sure about that. in fact any info on the medical will be greatly accepted thanks

I manged to find a copy on the internet, but cannot remember where.

Mike

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the free information pack you can order off the careers website includes?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the free information pack you can order off the careers website includes?
    Well I ordered it twice and never received it so you are probably better off going in to your local AFCO and asking for one.

It just has vague info about life as an Officer / NCO etc, you will get more branch specific inof if you go in and ask for it.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    "(I'm due to go to OASC in June). "

Hi CWarranto

When are you going in June? I'm going on 8th.

Superted

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I recently obtained my 6th form sponsorship (pilot). When i went to OASC there were about 15 in my group and two of us got the pilot sponsorship. About 10 people failed the aptitude as well so it wasnt at all easy. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me information in the Grantown-on-Spey 2 weeks preperation for leadership course that i'm being sent on in early August as i actually dont know what im going to be doing! Also regarding the bleep test i recently looked into buying a copy off of the internet and it sells at around £19-£45. Sounds rediculous, but thats what people are charging. Dont know if you could download it or whatever but at that price i doubt it. If anyone has any Q's or info on Grantown please fire away!

Owen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superted)
    "(I'm due to go to OASC in June). "

Hi CWarranto

When are you going in June? I'm going on 8th.

Superted
    I'm going on the 15th.

Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about work experience on RAF bases?
    I've found some stuff about work experience placements on
    RAF marham/Brize Norton/Cosford/Odiham but could'nt find any specific details about it eg: do they provide accomodation?
    If anyone has actually done work experience on a base before and could tell me a bit about it that would be very handy, if not im sure someone else will know loads about it. cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i applied to do work experience on several bases, however they all got booked up far in advance. You need to either get your school to apply for it ASAP or go down to the AFCO nearest you. There is alot of demand and very few places so dont get your hopes up. I ended up going on an ATC camp and claiming that was my work experience. The school didnt mind and just gave me the week off when everyone else was on work experience. Also if you are in the ATC and go on a camp to a flying base mention to someone that you want to be a pilot and would be interested in work experience. Often they will be happy to help and you'll get about a day's worth of pilot related experience out of it. Hope that helps!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.