RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You always get people like that at OASC. If the boarding officers were so convinced about who they wanted in the group exercises then why the hell would they 'waste' money keeping you there for four days and testing you in other ways? Utter rubbish, don't let some snidey girl who thinks she knows how it all works worry you. Each person gets marked individually on their preformance.

As for the exercises...Did you explain yourself well? Coherently? Were you able to back up your points? Did you have support of the group? What stopped you from saying 'Sir this was my original plan, but after much consideration I found a better suited solution.' It's not all about how good your maths skills are.

I'm sure Wzz will be able to tell you a lot more.

What branch were you going for? Just curious.
ThomA2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Clairlouise, well done on making it to Part II.

Each exercise is marked over five* competencies, and the four exercises are added together to give you a total for that compentency. Therefore, if you performed well in a certain compentency over three of the four exercises but had one hiccup, it shouldn't do too much damage to your final score.

*The group discussion is only marked on three competancies, but it makes little difference.

As BlackHawk said, ignore anyone trying to second guess the board. You meet people like this all over the place; ever had someone tell you what they think the exam question will be the day before an exam - knowing that no-one has revised that subject - just to mess with people? I know I have, and I know I ignored them and did alright...

I don't envy your wait for the postman, but best of luck!
Clairelouise
Report 14 years ago
I applied for a medical cadetship. Therefore competition is scarily crazy and I won't hear until the end of August.

Basically it's difficult because the boarding officers and constantly scribbling away and you have no idea what they're looking for, ie are they writing down 'good leader' or 'bossy boots', 'can improvise' or 'didn't make a good plan'!

ThomA2, I'd be really interested to hear more about the competencies list you described, do you have a list of the five things?
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
then theres the pen thing as well...if it points towards you at an interview they like you and if it points towards them they don't...or so I'm told...!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and for the record he's joking :p:
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
he....?
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Clairelouise)
I applied for a medical cadetship. Therefore competition is scarily crazy and I won't hear until the end of August.

Basically it's difficult because the boarding officers and constantly scribbling away and you have no idea what they're looking for, ie are they writing down 'good leader' or 'bossy boots', 'can improvise' or 'didn't make a good plan'!

ThomA2, I'd be really interested to hear more about the competencies list you described, do you have a list of the five things?
:eek: good luck!!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I ask because I thought I performed well in the group plan but during the individual plan (a similar exercise) I made some pretty fundamental errors, resulting in my realising halfway through explaining my plan that it was flawed, and had to improvise on the spot, with lots of 'about' and 'approximately' times, most of which were slightly out. I was really annoyed with myself afterwards as I'd shown I could do the maths and planning the day before; then completely undone that good impression! Does anyone have any opinions about how much each exercise 'counts' and whether showing you can do something once then not performing so well the next day is disastrous or forgiveable?!
How long is a piece of string? You've shown you can do the maths, as you say. However, you've also shown that it took you all your planning time plus half of your briefing time to realise you had a problem, which you should have spotted while planning; not so good. But, as long as you could think on your feet, and were fairly accurate with your times, you've also shown a bit of flexibility. Much better than giving up! Obviously, this won't look as good as getting it all spot on first time, but it's not the end of the world.

Also, I understand that some people here used to work in recruiting. A girl in my syndicate said that, in her opinion, the boarding officers had decided who they 'liked' (as in thought were good candidates) in the first two exercises (discussion and group planning) and seemed to direct attention to those people and be more dismissive of others. I hadn't noticed this whatsoever, but she was convinced. Does anyone think this is true, that they form opinions quickly and tend to stick with them?
It's not true whatsoever. Yes, you form opinions very quickly, but you'd be crazy to neglect people, and we certainly didn't have "favourites!" If you identify a good candidate, you do throw a few things their way to test them a little; such as a tricky hangar exercise. However, if they had decided who they liked after the first two group exercises, how many more group scenarios does that leave them with to direct this attention anyway?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:rolleyes:

Think like your driving test. They might be writing down "good leader," or "never ever ever going to be an officer." However, at least once I wrote down "remember to call mum!" on an interview sheet, so don't try and second guess what they're putting down! Relax and get on with it!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
then theres the pen thing as well...if it points towards you at an interview they like you and if it points towards them they don't...or so I'm told...!
Errr... no, we didn't do that.
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hence the..."or so I'm told"!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't get bunched; I didn't accuse you of making it up or anything...! You've said "or so I'm told," and now you know for sure
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Errr... no, we didn't do that.
You didn't do that conciously! :rolleyes:

What a farce; if you're looking where the pen is pointing (despite the fact that it should be out of view on their lap) then you're doing something wrong. Similarly with the syndicate exercises; why would anyone be looking at the board officers? They're not in the syndicate.
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Blimey I don't do it!! It was something I was told by someone!

*Sorry nearly missed an exam this morning ARGH*
Clairelouise
Report 14 years ago
I've heard so many OASC paranoia stories. Everyone seems to know about at least one bizarre trick they use to put you off or secret codes they have to show what they think of you (like the pen story above). My favourite regarded the loud ticking clock which is purposely placed above your head and which they keep looking at with the sole purpose of trying to put you off. My friend obviously didn't consider the possibility that they were trying to stick to a tight schedule in the interview and so had to keep checking the time! After all the stories I heard about the dreaded interview, I was surprised at how normal it was- if they did employ any bizarre and underhand tricks to catch me out, I managed to miss them all!!

Another question- even though they weren't needed for our branch, the medics were all asked to take the aptitude tests to act as controls. Does anyone know whether the scores would be kept in our files even though they weren't officially part of our selection, or would they be disgarded? Reason I ask is that I got high marks and surely it couldn't hurt to have them there when they are trying to pick between the two zillion applications in august?!

I'm starting to clutch at straws here! (and to think I didn't even check which way they pointed their pens- damn!)
Clairelouise
Report 14 years ago
I've heard so many OASC paranoia stories. Everyone seems to know about at least one bizarre trick they use to put you off or secret codes they have to show what they think of you (like the pen story above). My favourite regarded the loud ticking clock which is apparantly purposely placed above your head and which they keep looking at with the sole purpose of trying to put you off. My friend obviously didn't consider the possibility that they were trying to stick to a tight schedule in the interview and so had to keep checking the time! After all the stories I heard about the dreaded interview, I was surprised at how normal it was- if they did employ any bizarre and underhand tricks to catch me out, I managed to miss them all!!

Another question- even though they weren't needed for our branch, the medics were all asked to take the aptitude tests to act as controls. Does anyone know whether the scores would be kept in our files even though they weren't officially part of our selection, or would they be disgarded? Reason I ask is that I got high marks and surely it couldn't hurt to have them there when they are trying to pick between the two zillion applications in august?!

I'm starting to clutch at straws here! (and to think I didn't even check which way they pointed their pens- damn!)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When you looked at the clock did you see little markers? I think they are 5 minute markers. Its used to time the interview, hence why the boarding officers will keep looking up to check it.
Darkforce
Report 14 years ago
Hey guys,
is the selection process for a sixth form sponsorship any different to a normal selection process for officers.
Cheers.
Clairelouise
Report 14 years ago
I think you misread my post- I was retelling a strange theory my friend had about the clock as evidence of the OASC paranoia stories which go round, not suggesting that I can't read a clock!

Said friend is not quite 'with it'- he did manage to get in as pilot though, despite his clock issues.

Darkforce, what do you want to get sponsorship for?
sylwia
Report 14 years ago
Just got back from OASC. Does anyone have opinions about the relative importance of the group and individual planning exercises (as in the written ones, not in the hanger) and what they are looking for in each?

I ask because I thought I performed well in the group plan but during the individual plan (a similar exercise) I made some pretty fundamental errors, resulting in my realising halfway through explaining my plan that it was flawed, and had to improvise on the spot, with lots of 'about' and 'approximately' times, most of which were slightly out. I was really annoyed with myself afterwards as I'd shown I could do the maths and planning the day before; then completely undone that good impression! Does anyone have any opinions about how much each exercise 'counts' and whether showing you can do something once then not performing so well the next day is disastrous or forgiveable?!

Also, I understand that some people here used to work in recruiting. A girl in my syndicate said that, in her opinion, the boarding officers had decided who they 'liked' (as in thought were good candidates) in the first two exercises (discussion and group planning) and seemed to direct attention to those people and be more dismissive of others. I hadn't noticed this whatsoever, but she was convinced. Does anyone think this is true, that they form opinions quickly and tend to stick with them?

How long did you get for the Group Planning Test and the Individual Planning test please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
15%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
15%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (77)
18.33%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.48%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.76%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise