djmm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Make sure you can add, subtract, divide and multiply with no hesitation, do it almost instantaniously, make sure you can read graphs and gather everything that is needed from the information in it, practise the the lot, didnt they give you some practise questions? Im sure you could get some if you ask ?
wils
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hi,

I am been reading the messages on here for a while, a lot of it has been very useful - thanks.

I have a couple of questions of my own.

Does anyone have any idea how the selection/interview process differs (if it does differ) for naval pilots and RAF pilots?

I have also read about height requirements for the RAF, however no one seems to have any specific measurements. I am 6,2. Is this too tall?

Thanks.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've posted the exact measurements for pilots four times now. You'll find it if you use the search funtion at the top of your sceen
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
6,2 is a good height, I was measured as two diff sizes, as 168cm for my medical and 170 for my ID card when I was in the Navy, so I'll go with the 170 just to aid my ego The bare minimum is 166cm but it's got a whole load more than just what height you are read what Blackhawk took so long to type out in the RAF FAQ and don't be so lazy!
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
FORCES FAQ(for the lazy)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've added the measurements to the FAQ. 6'2 isn't the best height, 1 you have to fit in the cockpit in the first place, 2 if you are shorter and more compact you seem to have a better G tolerance.
mankyscot2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know of a display pilot who is 6'2" tall and he races in the Red Bull Air Race. So it doesn't really matter how tall you are, obviously he is pushing it a bit, but it just depends on how good you are and that you are not stupidly tall. I would say that 6'3" is probably the upper limit, but it also depends on your buttock to knee and buttock to heel measurements, and also your weight and reach measurements.

I'm not sure how helpful this post is but I noticed that this thread was going farther and farther down the forum so I thought I would just keep it at the top...
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol, and again its waaay down, Bringin' it back up

Mark
fleurina
Report 14 years ago
So from the looks of things everyones going in for pilot! mew.. will i be the only the one going for other positoins? i'll just have to train on me tod.... if i get in....
GR4pilot
Report 14 years ago
I'm up for other positions, medical contraints.
fleurina
Report 14 years ago
Oh, im tempted by medical support. wont get to be a funky doctor but at least see stuff....
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There was someone else on here looking at med support. Can't remember who though.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fleurina)
Oh, im tempted by medical support. wont get to be a funky doctor but at least see stuff....
No, GR4 meant that medical constraints are stopping him from being a pilot, not that he is going in for medical branches.
fleurina
Report 14 years ago
oh pants.... no love for me! ahaha
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So today I was just thinking about my application and I was thinking about the advantages and the disadvantages of being an OFFICER in the armed forces. So I made a list.

Disadvantages - More than just a 9 to 5 job, it is a way of life, on call for 24/7 all year round. Get posted here, there and everywhere and so can not really settle down in one place with a family. Always the risk of war and being shot at.

Advantages - Nice uniform, good secure job, good life, good wage, get to fly (if pilot or other flying role).

And this is where I started struggling. What are the advantages of being an OFFICER, as opposed to being an NCO in the RAF. I found this quite a hard question to answer, what about you guys?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You get to lead from a young age, you get given more responsibility and trust without a high rank, better pay, living in the officers mess, etc etc.

NCO to Officer varies massivly.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
More chances to command and influence policy, with promotion prospects only limited by your own abilities. Better pension, better quality of life, better career prospects in civvy street should you decide to pursue another life at a later point. More management responsibility and with it comes a nice fat pay packet.... and of course there's the Mess life...
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mankyscot2)
So today I was just thinking about my application and I was thinking about the advantages and the disadvantages of being an OFFICER in the armed forces. So I made a list.

Disadvantages - More than just a 9 to 5 job, it is a way of life, on call for 24/7 all year round. Get posted here, there and everywhere and so can not really settle down in one place with a family. Always the risk of war and being shot at.

Advantages - Nice uniform, good secure job, good life, good wage, get to fly (if pilot or other flying role).

And this is where I started struggling. What are the advantages of being an OFFICER, as opposed to being an NCO in the RAF. I found this quite a hard question to answer, what about you guys?
I see what you are saying, however if they ask why you want to be an officer you have to split the pro's and con's of being an officer down; what you have said could be said for the disadvantages apply just as easily to anyone in any of the forces, so if they ask why do you want to be an officer in the RAF, gotta answer them with why you dont want to be NCO in the RAF, and why the RAF?

Job security is a nice one to add, shows your thinking of the long-term instead of just an easy way to get flying if your selected for pilot. Dunno about the uniform, they might say - what about the police? life, break that down and WHAT is good about the lifestyle. Wage is fine too. However if they ask why you want to be a pilot, answer because you want to fly, if they ask why an officer answer without giving anything about the branch, shows a more solid understanding of the officer role, instead of just the branch choice.

Hope to have helped, Mark.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
You get to lead from a young age, you get given more responsibility and trust without a high rank, better pay, living in the officers mess, etc etc.

NCO to Officer varies massivly.
Okay, yes I agree. So Officers have better promotion prospects, and can continue to be promoted throughout their entire careers, offering new challenges and more varied work practices. If I want to be a pilot then I have to be an officer, but if I could be a pilot NCO as opposed to a non-flying officer I would choose the former.

What are the actual advantages of being an Officer over an NCO, apart from the wage, the trust and responsibility, the officers mess and the greater promotion possibilities?
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mankyscot2)
What are the actual advantages of being an Officer over an NCO, apart from the wage, the trust and responsibility, the officers mess and the greater promotion possibilities?
... so apart from the schools, the sewers, medicine, law, architecture and art... what have the Romans ever done for us ?!!? :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads