Big Dave
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hello there, i was just wonderin if there was anyone else going to OASC on the 1st of November? I haven't forgot about you, Yaffle.

Dave
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by GemmaLS)
Hi Officerwannabe

I can't speak from any experience when it comes to choosing subjects for pilot, but I can give my own thoughts. Try and choose subjects that will benefit you during the selection process and during your career.
No no no no no!

The subjects you pick aren't analysed in this detail; there's no "ideal" spread of subjects. We don't want a physics/maths/engineering bloke to be a pilot, and we don't care if you've done PE because you think it'll lead to good extra curricular activities.

What's important is the quality of the subjects you've picked, and how well you've done at them. Don't do media studies! Don't do a degree in something rubbish! Pick well respected legacy subjects like physics, chemistry, history, maths, English, modern languages, etc etc.

But above all else, pick what you're good at! 4 As looks better than 4 Bs regardless of the subjects.

Your points about history/politics leading to an interest in current affairs are perfectly valid, but OASC will care about the end result; i.e. your interest in current affairs, no credit will be given for you picking politics as a subject for that reason.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puk2184)
Something to look forward to if I've passed OASC :rolleyes:

They didn't take all my measurements at OASC either, which I thought they would've, just my height and weight.
Presumably your arm lengths etc aren't important as a crewman. I'm surprised at that; if you can't reach some switches from your strapped-in-on-an-R1 position, then that'll be difficult. I'm positive you still wear a 5-point harness.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
The subjects you pick aren't analysed in this detail; there's no "ideal" spread of subjects. We don't want a physics/maths/engineering bloke to be a pilot, and we don't care if you've done PE because you think it'll lead to good extra curricular activities.

What's important is the quality of the subjects you've picked, and how well you've done at them. Don't do media studies! Don't do a degree in something rubbish! Pick well respected legacy subjects like physics, chemistry, history, maths, English, modern languages, etc etc.

But above all else, pick what you're good at! 4 As looks better than 4 Bs regardless of the subjects.
Im onto my A2's now, and am looking to select a course to do at uni. I remember you saying before that they weren't bothered with whay degree your doing, as long as its not stupid like surfing or something lol!
Im not sure what i want to do, but would it be worth thinking about what id like to do outside the RAF after i leave/ if i dont make it in the first place? Because the other career i've been looking at is forensic investigation- if i took a degree in that then applied for the RAF, would it be considered a worthy degree? ( im still certain ill apply for the RAF first, regardless of what degree i take) Its somethign i would like to do if the RAF doesn't work out for me though.
Cheers, Jamie
Officerwannabe
Report 14 years ago
Hey everyone

I bought the RAF magazine recently. It's got loads of information, eg. RAF operations in the Falklands, and from what I've heard about the stuff you're asked about the RAF in interviews it seems quite similar to this. May/may not be helpful to you but heck, it's great fun to read anyway! I bought it from WHSmiths...
Kaiser
Report 14 years ago
If you go to your local AFCO (depending how local it is it might not be worth it) you can usually nick one for free, plus you can get hold of the old issues too They literally hand them out at the door of my AFCO. I agree totally that there's some really useful stuff in there.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If your looking for reading material, Air Force Monthly is also a good source, Last month it detailed the falklands as well, This month about the RAF tanker capability, current, short term and long term future.
Kaiser
Report 14 years ago
Where would one get hold of this elusive "Air Force monthly"? cheers
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can get it at wh smiths
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
would it be worth thinking about what id like to do outside the RAF after i leave/ if i dont make it in the first place? Because the other career i've been looking at is forensic investigation- if i took a degree in that then applied for the RAF, would it be considered a worthy degree? ( im still certain ill apply for the RAF first, regardless of what degree i take) Its somethign i would like to do if the RAF doesn't work out for me though.
Yes, of course it would.

It's easy enough to see what makes a "worthy" degree. Surfing? No. Physics? Yes. Media studies? Probably not. History? Yes. Forensic science? I'd say yes, but I'm not working at OASC anymore! I'm sure it'd be alright.

The RAF can't discriminate too much when it comes to degrees. After all, you'd have floods of people doing degrees they don't want to purely to please the boarding officers! The best degree to do is one you enjoy. You'll do better at that. If you have a backup career in mind, go for that one.

If you love media studies, then a 1st in that is better than being kicked out in the second year of a history and politics degree you were doing to please the RAF. They might not think much of media studies, but it looks better than a failed degree.
KSpin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How about not going to University because:

a) family can't really afford to keep my sister at Uni, let alone me too. (We earn too much to get much support)

b) I didn't want to spend 3/4 years (which would give me only one shot at being a pilot) when I could apply at the age of 19, having done my A Levels, and not really care about what rank I was when I finished training. I just want to do the job?

Think those will be acceptable at OASC or during an interview, 'cause otherwise I'm not going to find it easy answering "Why didn't you decide to continue onto University?"
Big Dave
Report 14 years ago
I was told to do a degree i would enjoy as i would do better, just like Wzz said. I ended up getting a 1st class honours degree, and that has got to count, and i doubt i would be even going to OASC if i didn't. Downside is, November 1st is my one bash at my dream.

Dave
GR4pilot
Report 14 years ago
Yea I'm biased towards Hist/politics for obvious reasons. However I have heard from several sources inside the Intworld that both the Int Corps and RAF INt branch do like their Historians, As do the SIS, see their spangaly new site at www.sis.gov.uk
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)

a) family can't really afford to keep my sister at Uni, let alone me too. (We earn too much to get much support)
Depending on the "angry" rating of your interviewer, he may ask why you didn't look at getting various part time jobs, university sponsorship, student loans, etc etc.... £3000 from a loan plus £1000+ from the RAF plus a part time job, but you still can't afford it? Are you implying that every student simply leeches off their parents? With no grants, surely no-one gets external help?

Not being stroppy, merely playing Devil's advocate. A lot of interviewers will ask difficult questions because your answers tell a lot about you.

(Original post by KSpin)
b) I didn't want to spend 3/4 years (which would give me only one shot at being a pilot) when I could apply at the age of 19, having done my A Levels, and not really care about what rank I was when I finished training. I just want to do the job?
... on a UAS, you'd have a shot every year. Sponsorship! Who says you have to wait until the end of your time at uni before applying? You could have applied several times, with a fallback to a nice degree coasting along in the background and some time on a UAS honing your ability to pass OASC. Also, wouldn't you consider your increased maturity at 22 to be an asset? More world experience, better understanding of what you want from a career? What about the higher success rate of graduates through RAF training? The proven "trainable mind" that a graduate has? Won't you miss the experience of university? All difficult questions. I was slightly biased as an interviewer, as I went to uni, but there you go. If you did go to uni, your interviewer may ask many equally obstructive questions about why you did!

Regards rank after training, you may not care if you're a Plt Off or Flt Lt when you're at one stage or another... but would you prefer to be handling your first big jet at 20 or 25? There're advantages to both, but also disadvantages to both. Reckon you'll be mature enough at 20 for a GR4? Not many people are! Some are, of course, but many more are at 25.

(Original post by KSpin)
Think those will be acceptable at OASC or during an interview, 'cause otherwise I'm not going to find it easy answering "Why didn't you decide to continue onto University?"
If you solely chose to avoid uni because you wanted several chances at joining the RAF, then that may not come across too well. They won't like the fact that you chose that because of them when you could have gone to uni and applied every year anyway; giving you a handy fallback if they said no.

What if you take three years to get accepted now? If you had gone to uni, you'd have a degree and still get in at age 22. Now, if it takes three years, you'll be in at age 22 with no degree to back you up, leaving you with the worst of both worlds.

If uni wasn't for you, no problem. If you thought you couldn't afford it, be prepared for some awkward questions; plenty of people do manage, so why couldn't you? If uni would have made you too old, fine; but why not continue while you wait to find out if the RAF accept you?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)

I went to uni, my parents earn a healthy six figure salery between them so I got no funding. My parents refused to pay for me so I went out and got 2 part time jobs and went to uni in between. It was hard bloody work and I did it for a year then cut down to one job and joined a UAS. Point is, it is do-able. Saying you couldn't afford it isn't really going to wash with OASC interviewers.

Anyway, Wzz explained it better than me!
KSpin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Paying around £6,000 a year on accomodation and tutoring isn't exactly what I wanted to get out of University. Sure, I probably only just about scraped into doing what I would have wanted to do (Japanese Studies with a year over there), but if I'd hated the subject, since I've never done it before and so I don't actually know what it's like, I would have been left in a pretty big dilema... and with a pretty big loan to pay off. Even bigger if I had applied for a bursary.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that, hearing my sister struggle for money, and my parents only just about being able to pay for her, I was unsure about where the money was going to come from if I did decide to go. Not everyone's lucky enough to get part-time work, my sister for example has been looking for at least one and a half years.

I've decided to play it safe financially, and not go to University.
Yaffle
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Big Dave)
Hello there, i was just wonderin if there was anyone else going to OASC on the 1st of November? I haven't forgot about you, Yaffle.

Dave
Well, I had some bad news yesterday, I got a letter from OASC saying all the branches I'd applied for (Intelligence, Supply & Admin) are now closed until the financial year 2007/2008. This came as a big blow to me as I'd geared myself up for OASC on November 1st. I rang them this morning and I've managed to change my choices to Medical Support and Provost instead and they said I will still be going on November 1st so all is not lost! I was absolutely gutted though to hear my branches had been closed especially so close to OASC, I thought that was it, the end of my dream. Has anybody else received this news?
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
bad luck, sorry to hear that, hope it still goes ok, my first choice was int too feeling a bit pessamistic now!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Yaffle)
Well, I had some bad news yesterday, I got a letter from OASC saying all the branches I'd applied for (Intelligence, Supply & Admin) are now closed until the financial year 2007/2008. This came as a big blow to me as I'd geared myself up for OASC on November 1st. I rang them this morning and I've managed to change my choices to Medical Support and Provost instead and they said I will still be going on November 1st so all is not lost! I was absolutely gutted though to hear my branches had been closed especially so close to OASC, I thought that was it, the end of my dream. Has anybody else received this news?
If that is the case, then it looks like I will have lost out yet again
Considering there was a massive request for admin at the begining of summer and not being able to apply for it then and now when I will be in a position to apply there is a 18 month wait for it to open again, I just cant win
djmm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You'll get there mate .

Mark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.81%
No (509)
66.19%

Watched Threads