BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Yaffle)
Well, I had some bad news yesterday, I got a letter from OASC saying all the branches I'd applied for (Intelligence, Supply & Admin) are now closed until the financial year 2007/2008. This came as a big blow to me as I'd geared myself up for OASC on November 1st. I rang them this morning and I've managed to change my choices to Medical Support and Provost instead and they said I will still be going on November 1st so all is not lost! I was absolutely gutted though to hear my branches had been closed especially so close to OASC, I thought that was it, the end of my dream. Has anybody else received this news?
Let me get this straight. You really wanted your first choices, they have told you to wait an extra 5 months and instead of doing that you are changing your choices? Just remember that this is your entire RAF career you are talking about, 5 months is miniscule compared to it. I'm waiting 4 more months for pilot and I'm not elated but if it means I have a shot at doing pilot I'll happily wait. It may also look a bit frivolous to OASC boarding officers that you can't decide on a branch.
mankyscot2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Did they say that you were going to OASC anyway, even if you hadn't changed your course choices? It seems very unlikely that they would cancel your OASC date, fair enough blocking entrants before filter interview level but a lot of time and effort is put into getting your OASC date, I highly doubt that they would just cut you out like that.

To me it sounds like you are not ready to fight for your first branch choices. For me to be told that I had to either wait for the backlog to clear, or change my branch choice, it would be waiting, every time!!!

You need to decide what you really want to do and fight for it until a boarding officer tells you to your face that you will never have any of your branch choices.

Ha ha StaVix, an anti RAF campaign. Why not just an anti downsizing campaign, that would be better.

I do feel sorry for you guys with your first choices being put on hold for the time being, but you have to keep on trying. Phone calls, write letters, send e-mails do anything to sneak into the system. For you guys who already have your OASC date I really doubt that you will be cut out at this stage, they will still probably put you through OASC, and if you impress they will offer you the job.
Yaffle
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Let me get this straight. You really wanted your first choices, they have told you to wait an extra 5 months and instead of doing that you are changing your choices? Just remember that this is your entire RAF career you are talking about, 5 months is miniscule compared to it. I'm waiting 4 more months for pilot and I'm not elated but if it means I have a shot at doing pilot I'll happily wait. It may also look a bit frivolous to OASC boarding officers that you can't decide on a branch.
Hi, no they said all three of my branches are now closed until 2007/2008. I'm 25 now and that would mean waiting until I'm at least 27 to re-apply for intelligence, supply and admin. I really felt that if I didn't change my choices I wouldn't get the chance at all of getting in the RAF.
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=mankyscot2]Did they say that you were going to OASC anyway, even if you hadn't changed your course choices? It seems very unlikely that they would cancel your OASC date, fair enough blocking entrants before filter interview level but a lot of time and effort is put into getting your OASC date, I highly doubt that they would just cut you out like that.
[QUOTE]

They told me that there were no more vacancies for the branches I'd applied for and that they had no alternative but to close my current application. They said the only other option would be to ring them up and add different branches to my application if I so wished. When I rang up they said Int, Supply and Admin were the only branches which were closed now but all others were still open. Like Blackhawk said it may sound frivolous to the boarding officers to change my branch choices like that but I felt I was left with no other option.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I can see where you are coming from. One thing to do is put down some other branch choices, go to OASC and say to the boarding officers that what you really want to do is be an Int O, if your aptitude score is good enough and other things impress them then they may make an exception, but I don't know. Phone OASC every week and make sure they have not reversed the decision. One of my mate's wanted pilot when he joined but due to circumstances could only go for ATC at the time even though he had the scores for Pilot. Now he is applying for pilot, after 2 years in ATC so that is another option for you.
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was on the phone with the oasc lady for ages discussing it
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by StaVix)
I was on the phone with the oasc lady for ages discussing it and was told no no and no again, she was getting quite exasperated with me as i kept on trying to get her to accept my application for int, in fact it was on the form as my first choice but she wanted to remove it and told me it was pointless having it there as they would just turn me down.
Will try to add it again in a few months as i dont want oasc dates quite yet anyway and the situ may change so fingers crossed.

I think that woman has probably had a bad day today! I told her that I thought it was totally unacceptable to invite me to OASC and then two weeks before I'm due to go tell me my application was going to be closed. The RAF obviously know how much preparation goes into OASC and in my opinion it isn't good enough to just say "sorry we're full" so close to the date.
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sounds like they have left it a bit late to tell you this especially as it would be useful to arange base visits etc for your new chosen branches! maybe bring it up in your interview at oasc at the end when they ask any questions...? I guess you need to decide whats more inmportant to you a comission in the RAF or doing Int. If its Int then I know your not that young but maybe waiting a bit wouldnt be that bad. Im kind of in a similar situ as im 24 in feb graduated last year have lots of debt and nagging parents and need to get a job so cant keep waiting for the RAF to have sapces and if im not good enough when i get to oasc this time will i ever be?, im definately giving it one last chance though.
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
I think we all need to just keep our chins up and hope for the best. It is heart breaking to have news like that but we've all got to be strong and keep on going and fight all the way for what we want. I wish everyone all the luck in their applications and hope everything works out.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GemmaLS)
Hey Blackhawk,

I've sent our friend from Bristol AFCO the link for this thread - you remember he really, really wants intel and was planning to start reapplying for OASC soon. This is so unfair on so many people.
Oh bugger. I think he's used this forum before. He'll be pretty gutted though, especially as he went to OASC awhile ago now.
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
Yaffle whats' your OASC dates?
--------------
Bit of advise guys, I'm planning on doing the British Basket Ball league os one of my national topics, do you think it's big enough, orwill they see it as irrelevant?
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GR4pilot)
--------------
Bit of advise guys, I'm planning on doing the British Basket Ball league os one of my national topics, do you think it's big enough, orwill they see it as irrelevant?
Its only irrelevant if you beleave it is, if you think you can talk indepth about it show it in a way to make it interesting I dont see why not.
--------------
Talking about the branches that have apparently been closed off until 2007.
Just had a look at rafcareers website and they are still advertising a need for admin and supply officers.

Worth a thought anyway

p.s. automerged double posts ? :eek:
I wanted them both seperate!
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GR4pilot)
--------------
Hey there, I'm going on November 1st and if all goes well I'll be back on the 4th.

The basketball thing sounds an interesting topic, I must admit I know nothing about it so I can't really comment but I thought they wanted to know about current "political" or "military" affairs?? What do other people think of this? For national topics I've been revising things like London Bombings, ID cards, Northern Irleland etc.
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
They want a well ballanced mix. ideally from the catagories, Political, military, economic, sports. And I'm told they put a great deal of emphasis on sports knowledge. my full topic list is:
World -
-Energy Crisis
-Turkey and the EU
-Michelle Wie (US Pro Golfer)
-Isreal/Palastine
-China in reform
-Dafur
UK -
-Tory Leadership
-Budget 2005
-Leicester Riders
-MRSA
-Mental Health Act Reforms

I can't believe it, you're on the OASC after me, I go on the 25th!
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That sounds like a good list mate, I didn't know that you could talk about sports, I think that if they don't let you talk about natural disasters then why let you talk about sports?

My list at the moment (it changes almost daily):

World:
- Iraqi constitution and recent referendum
- Iran's nuclear programme
- Bird Flu
- Isreali settlement withdrawals from the Gaza Strip and West Bank
- Democratic Republic of Congo Poll's
- Zimbabwe 'slum' demolitions

Home:
- Tory leadership
- Zimbabwe asylum seekers deportation
- New aircraft prototypes which have no flaps or rudders (want to know more, just ask me)
- Possible re-introduction of the Lynx (big cat, not deodorant) to Britain following evidence that man was to blame for it becoming extinct in this country and not climate change.

P.S. I will start adding to the current affairs thread again soon, its just that since the hurricane and now the earthquake in Pakistan there has not been much else in the papers so I stopped buying them every day.
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
why not mention the hurricane, earthquake, tsunami?
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
Here's my list of topics:
International: Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Iran, Bird Flu, Turkey's accession into the EU, Japanese Elections/privatisation of Postal Service.
National: London Bombings & shoot to kill policy, 2012 Olympics, ID Cards, Northern Ireland.
puk2184
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Yaffle)
Here's my list of topics:
International: Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Iran, Bird Flu, Turkey's accession into the EU, Japanese Elections/privatisation of Postal Service.
National: London Bombings & shoot to kill policy, 2012 Olympics, ID Cards, Northern Ireland.
I would also mention the hurrianes in America and how they've affected the economy etc, the earthquake in Pakistan, the G8 meeting, Sudan/Dafur, Guantanemo, mobile phone crime, the transfer of military flying traing to the MFTS, etc, ect!! Let you know when I think of any more
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
one in todays times, RAF Officer faces Court Marshall for refusing to go to Illegal war in Iraq. see www.sundaytimes.co.uk
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by puk2184)
I would also mention the hurrianes in America and how they've affected the economy etc, the earthquake in Pakistan, the G8 meeting, Sudan/Dafur, Guantanemo, mobile phone crime, the transfer of military flying traing to the MFTS, etc, ect!! Let you know when I think of any more
You cannot use natural disasters as your current affairs topics.

BH
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.43%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
54.89%
No (73)
39.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise