Owen_e_T
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Yes i applied for work experience at an RAF base last year. There are very few places and alot of demand for them so they tend to get taken up quickly. Ask your school to enquire or make ur way to an AFCO. This is the only way you can find out, but do it ASAP as the places get taken up very quickly. I just went with the ATC last year on a camp and told my school that was my work experience. If you do go on any camps to flying bases with the ATC tell your CO that you want to be a pilot and would be interested in work experience. Theres usually the opportunity for a day or two of pilot related work experience (this usually does NOT consist of flying!). Hope this helped....
Owen_e_T
Report 15 years ago
Oh rite, sorry. Now i look very silly. I thought that i didnt post that reply so i wrote it again! Apologies for looking like an idiot.......
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
I got back from OASC last friday... As much as I hated the stress of waiting to find out if I was through to Part 2 I loved the second half and the command exercises. It's worth it all just for the experience. Just awaiting my letter to say whether I'll be getting my bursary or not!
LouBou75
Report 15 years ago
[COLOR=Sienna]Glad to have found this forum. I have just got back from two months abroad to find I have my interview on the 11th of May. Only three weeks left to prepare and frantically arranging mock interviews, visits to RAF bases to research my choice of trade etc etc...... There is certainly a wealth of information on the internet to use for revision and research but discussion with those who have been there and done it is extremley useful.

If anyone else is going to OASC on the 11th of may or anytime soon and fancy a chat?.. let me know. I need something to calm my nerves.

good luck to all those going soon, must get back to the books.

Lou[/COLOR]
dave02
Report 15 years ago
I've been flying for 4 years (1 solo) and got a flight in an RAF tucano at RAF Linton-on-ouse, I fly aerobatics (+9 g without a g-suit) and have flown with oxygen masks etc, i have the qualifications to be a pilot but cant as i wear glasses, I know the RAF can pick and choose but why do they not accept corrected vision? It doesnt really matter im joining the regiment
will 04
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Owen_e_T)
Yeah i applied to do work experience on several bases, however they all got booked up far in advance. You need to either get your school to apply for it ASAP or go down to the AFCO nearest you. There is alot of demand and very few places so dont get your hopes up. I ended up going on an ATC camp and claiming that was my work experience. The school didnt mind and just gave me the week off when everyone else was on work experience. Also if you are in the ATC and go on a camp to a flying base mention to someone that you want to be a pilot and would be interested in work experience. Often they will be happy to help and you'll get about a day's worth of pilot related experience out of it. Hope that helps!
A few questions:
-how quickly do i need to apply? (im currently in year 10 and it's the beginning of the summer term now- is it hopeless?) do they hold the courses in the summer holidays? if not when?

-I found a work experience enquiry phone number on the RAF Odiham site, shouldn't I just ring this to book a place? the AFCO option would be a complete arse as the nearest is right in london somewhere (dont know where exactly) or can I try to arrange it through my school?

- What do you mean by pilot related work experience?

- do you know if the work experience courses are residential kind of courses? i.e do they provide you with accomodation kind of like their ATC camps?

- how old were you when you applied? how late did you leave it?

Sorry that did turn out to be a lot of questions! thanks.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dave02)
I've been flying for 4 years (1 solo) and got a flight in an RAF tucano at RAF Linton-on-ouse, I fly aerobatics (+9 g without a g-suit) and have flown with oxygen masks etc, i have the qualifications to be a pilot but cant as i wear glasses, I know the RAF can pick and choose but why do they not accept corrected vision? It doesnt really matter im joining the regiment
No offence, but with 1 solo under your belt I find it hard to believe that you "fly aerobatics;" most people spend thier first solo consolidating circuit flying or the suchlike instead.

Also, where and how and for how long have you sustained +9Gz? As one of the only people on this forum to have flown at length with and without a G suit, you're a physiological marvel if you've managed that. Humans can't sustain that much without one without blacking out; it's exceptionally hard to stay awake under +6Gz without extra help.

You've flown without an oxy mask? I don't follow; you don't need a supply of oxygen until you're above 10 000 feet, so what do you mean?

What qualifications to be a pilot do you have?

The RAF doesn't consider corrected vision because frankly there's no need to. There are enough, perfectly good applicants with perfect vision to choose from. If choosing a pilot, you want someone with perfect vision, so why choose someone who doesn't have that?
Owen_e_T
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by will 04)
A few questions:
-how quickly do i need to apply? (im currently in year 10 and it's the beginning of the summer term now- is it hopeless?) do they hold the courses in the summer holidays? if not when?

-I found a work experience enquiry phone number on the RAF Odiham site, shouldn't I just ring this to book a place? the AFCO option would be a complete arse as the nearest is right in london somewhere (dont know where exactly) or can I try to arrange it through my school?

- What do you mean by pilot related work experience?

- do you know if the work experience courses are residential kind of courses? i.e do they provide you with accomodation kind of like their ATC camps?

- how old were you when you applied? how late did you leave it?

Sorry that did turn out to be a lot of questions! thanks.
Before i answer these i just would like to add that Wzz is completely right, this guy is crazy and doesnt seem to be talking much sense!!!

Okay so...... Apply as soon as you can, it might not be too late, i applied a little later than you. The work experience courses are held towards the end of term i think, but then i never got on one so im not certain. Yes calling the Odiham site is a good idea, or any other numbers you can find. Just try everything, like i said i did it through my AFCO, but if thats no good then your careers advisers in school are usually usefull. The pilot related work experience usually consists of things like sitting in on the pilots briefing in the mornings, eg weather reports and info on the days flying. I did this at Linton-on-Ouse and actually found it very interesting! Also things like walking around the planes, sitting in them, whatever, just not flying them! And yes most of the work experience courses are residentials, im not sure if you'd have to pay messing fees, but the accomodation is free and would be the same as an ATC camp. Hope that helped, bit of a mouthful!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Last chap we had on work experience at my station we threw him into the sim as often as possible. Started with him watching a couple of guys using it, then found a spare slot and popped him in it. So while you might not fly, you can at least have a play.

I'd recommend doing it officially through your AFCO rather than cold-calling some bases. Your nearest AFCO (if you're after the one in London) is in St Christopher House, Southwark Street SE1. The number's 020 7305 4820.

You're not going to get accommodation, you'd need picked up and dropped off every day.
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No offence, but with 1 solo under your belt I find it hard to believe that you "fly aerobatics;" most people spend thier first solo consolidating circuit flying or the suchlike instead.

The RAF doesn't consider corrected vision because frankly there's no need to. There are enough, perfectly good applicants with perfect vision to choose from. If choosing a pilot, you want someone with perfect vision, so why choose someone who doesn't have that?
You know you can fly aerobatics as dual...?

But I know some of the other stuff was rubbish - oxygen masks n that!!!!

And whats more the RAF is saying that in the future they will be picking people with corrected vision, but they just have to wait and see what any side effects are. They've already said that they realise that these people will be better candidates then the 'perfectly good applicants with perfect vision' as they will have more motivation after have corrective surgery and the rest.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Suzi Q)
You know you can fly aerobatics as dual...?
Yes, I frequently do! If you've only managed one solo, you're unlikely to be a particularly accomplished aerobat. There's a difference between being able to fly aerobatics and sit there tugging on the stick while an instructor pushes you through the motions.

And whats more the RAF is saying that in the future they will be picking people with corrected vision, but they just have to wait and see what any side effects are. They've already said that they realise that these people will be better candidates then the 'perfectly good applicants with perfect vision' as they will have more motivation after have corrective surgery and the rest.
You're correct that they're looking at the long term effects of vision correction, but the rest of that paragraph's complete nonsense. They've already seen that some forms of surgery result in "spotting" and other difficulties when looking at infra-red images and the view through night vision goggles; unless that goes away, they won't be accepting applicants who've had this done.

And your last comment; are you genuinely telling me that an RAF recruiter is going to assume someone who's had poor eyesight correct is more motivated than someone with perfect vision?? That's completely ridiculous. The way we look at motivation in applicants is nothing to do with this; you can't say that someone who hasn't needed surgery because their eyes are fine isn't motivated!

You've said a couple of times "the RAF is saying." Who within the RAF is saying this? PM me and let me know.
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
Not trying to get in an argument over this. Basically when I was at OASC last week I didn't even bother with pilot... yet when my aptitude came back I'd passed. I didn't think anything of it but one of the boarding officers told me about the future of people with sight problems as pilots (not that it would ever help me). It's not that you'd be more motivated but just that if the only reason you'd had surgery is to be a pilot that shows a level of commitment before even getting to the interviews and that after having something like that done you wouldn't want to mess up on the interview so you would work hard. Saying that I know that you can be motivated without that reason - I myself just wanted to get into the RAF Eng Off and I've met many pilots who spend every minute before OASC reading up about the RAF. The main point here is that in the future IF corrective surgery passes the tests then it will be allowable for some people to become pilots. Shame it's not a bit sooner but I've come to accept that as life and so am joining as the next best thing in my opinion... If i can't fly the planes I'll fix them!!!
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
Just got my letter through from OASC - I have been short-listed and my application will be given further consideration at a selection meeting in August. Just wondered what the chances of me getting through with that response...
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
Just got my letter through from OASC - I have been short-listed and my application will be given further consideration at a selection meeting in August. Just wondered what the chances of me getting through with that response...

I think it means you are ok to start training, but if someone better comes along, you may not get in
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, unfortunately the nasty way to look at is they're happy with you, but are hedging their bets that they might be able to fill your chosen branch's slots with someone better from the next few boards.

Also, they might have decided you're fine for your first choice, but there're still a lot of applicants to see, in which case they might knock you down to your second choice later. It does however mean you passed selection; so well done on that count!

If you don't hear before the end of August, call the person who deals with your surname (probably who sent you the letter) and ask.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As Wzz says that means you've passed selection...i'm going in June, any tips??
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Icklecathy, when in June are you going? I'm on the 15th, Superted's on the 8th
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Icklecathy, when in June are you going? I'm on the 15th, Superted's on the 8th
I'm going 22nd....was meant to be April 27th but it got postponed due to "staff shortages" !
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Just revise as much as you can about the RAF and current world affairs. When you are in the interview don't pretend to know what you're talking about if you don't have a clue. You can blag it a little bit but seriously don't try it cos the boarding staff know their facts. Just admit you're not sure about that matter and they'll respect you for being honest and move on (obviously you can't use that excuse for every question though!!!) Also, a big thing that people in my week got turned down for was not having enough spare-time activities... if you don't add some extra small ones in (sports, community volunteering. etc) I'd say just be yourself because that is what they are looking for - they don't want people who aren't being genuine. Make sure you are as confident as possible aswell!!! Good luck!!!
BUMPFFICHH
Report 15 years ago
Typical! I had a pre-OASC briefing and presentation booked today at Nottingham AFCO, they rung yesterday saying it was cancelled because the OASC chaps had decided that people coming from Nottingham to OASC after attending one of these were far too well prepared and were doing better than everyone else and this was considered unfair on other candidates. I knew i should have gone last month!
Anyway, anyone in the same boat? I'm down at Cranwell on June the 1st for pilot/intelligence/WSO selection. Am currently doing a PPL, will it seem better for me at interview if i really push the next 4 weeks and get my PPL before selection or will the board not give a toss either way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads