Report 13 years ago
Think that's what BH was getting at
mankyscot2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KiwiMagic)
I'm guessing we should be steering away from military topics in the interviews as we would quickly get out of our depths..?

(Oh and I realise this is in reference to a very very old post on this thread, but Wyton isn't that bad a station Wzz, some of us get quite attached to it over the years!!)
Depends how much you know and how much you want to impress them. You could get into some quite good discussions over military topics if you know your stuff and that would look very good.

It's up to the individual candidate.
GR4pilot
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
OASC tomorrow! :party: Hurah! all I can say is in the eternal workds of the bloke from the Channel 4 Cricket adverts "BRING IT ON!"

The question is, how wil I fare on the aptitude tests? :joyman: Will I return a Pilot? :trytofly:, Nav? :captain: (there was nothing better), IntO? :ninja: Or Provost? :talkhand:? Or will I be told to come back in a year? :ciao:

Any last pearls of wisdom?:listen:

Well I'll see you at the weekend then.

I appologise, I rant when I'm nervous.

GR4
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good Luck, I like all the smileys! Don't be nervous (thats easy to say I know) will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Yaffle
Report 13 years ago
Good luck GR4pilot, you'll be fine. Just relax and do your best!!! Let us know how you get on . I'll be there too next Tuesday Hurrah!!!!
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Best of luck to EVERYONE going to OASC soon - you'll all have a fantastic time no doubt
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good luck, check your PMs mate.
Jesterful
Report 13 years ago
Good luck, just chill out and have a good time. The aptitude tests are like a 80's computer game so if you ever played the snes or anything like that your already half way there.

£1 a pint!!!!
Ruhr_Phantom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good luck to everyone off to OASC
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
Pacman an the Origional Teenage Mujant Ninja turtles here I come
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont know, still think the C64 version of F16 fighting falcon is more advanced
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If anyone ever had 'olympic gold' for the sega megadrive, you'll remember the archery section. You had to hit the target with the sights constantly trying to move away from it. It's very similar (if a little easier) to one of the pilot aptitudes where you have to keep the crosshair in the middle of the screen. Glad I still have that one - can practise for next year now if I need it
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GR4pilot)
The question is, how wil I fare on the aptitude tests? :joyman: Will I return a Pilot? :trytofly:, Nav? :captain: (there was nothing better), IntO? :ninja: Or Provost? :talkhand:? Or
... I thought you couldn't apply for Pilot, due to a migraine?

Hope you have a nice time and enjoy yourself. Good luck buddy.

Mark.
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
Technically I can't I've been bared from entry into pilot/wso/int/air traffic/fighter controller. however after telling me i was barred they came back to me and said that as it was an isolated incident they would discuss it with me there with the potential of unbaring me.
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Great! Best of luck to you .

Mark.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Unknown where this post should go really, but i'm sure there was a discussion on the differences between NATO and the UN recently, I decided to look it up. Directly taken from: http://www.csdr.org/95Book/Boothby.htm -

NATO and the U.N. are two organizations trying to work together despite the fact that they have very different philosophies: NATO is an organization designed to fight war, if necessary, in order to defend peace; whereas the U.N. is an organization designed to avoid war in order to maintain peace.

U.N. troops, like NATO troops, do not belong to their organization: they are loaned by their respective governments. Some of them come from countries that have reputations for being militarily effective. U.N. troops, however, are neither armed nor deployed to fight a war. On the contrary, their principal weapon is their high-profile presence; traditionally their vehicles are painted white, they have no heavy weapons, they wear light-blue helmets, they operate under large blue flags, and they are often deployed in very exposed positions between forces that have fought, or even wish to continue fighting, a war. They must carry out their duties without taking sides. Their tasks, as Dag Hammarskjold once said, are not soldiers' tasks--but only soldiers can do them.

Quick conclusion: NATO is a heavily armed, war fighting organisation who brings about peace by either deterring aggression or crushing the enemy. The UN is a lightly armed, peacekeeping organisation, with very little muscle to flex. In Bosnia for example, the UN was sent in to a war zone, with a mission to remain impartial and to stay there until the conflict was over. Then NATO came in to replace them and police the country, should it not have been the other way around?
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
I'm back! And I've had four of the most fun days of my life. I'm not going to go into great detail on what happened as it's been done, and done well, by those who have gone before me. I will however give a general run through and pick out the highlights/give any tips I can.

Day One
Got there unpacked met everyone (and they were a great set of people) One of which was going for PEdO and was on the Leeming Trip with Blackhawk last week. Don't have a beer tonight! From my nursing days I can tell you that even the slightest alcohol will affect the rhythmic nature of your sleep patens and make for a less restful sleep. Make sure you get to bed (as in bed) by 9.30 so you have 30 mins to get to sleep and 8hrs sleep thereafter.

Day Two
Aptitude tests, great piece of advice and I beg everyone to take it: approach them like you're going to spend the morning playing computer games, not tests. Everyone who went in thinking they mattered got lower scores than those of us who were thinking 'DAGER, DAGER, DAGER TAKE THAT FRITZY' on the CVT. Ok so an exaggeration but you get my point. Take in a bottle of still Energy drink and a large energy bar make sure you put these on the floor next to the comp cause otherwise you look a numpty having to take your suit jacket off the partition wall every time you want a bite during a break…just like I did. Try and space out eating/drinking so you have plenty of energy, don’t run out of either and don’t need to pee when you’re trying to concentrate on making bearings on a radar screen (note this as I failed the ATC tests).

First part med speaks for itself, those going for Pilot/WSO/p make sure you sit up properly; they had to re-take my sitting measurement because I was slightly slouched and recorded as being too small.

Fitness, just go for it, so people know: I got the best grading for fitness for a male 18-24 with 12-2 on the bleep, 45 pushups 47 sit-ups. Don’t kill yourself on the bleep one guy did incredibly and got 15-1 on the bleep and fluffed his sits/pushes

Relax

Day Three
Interview at 0730, which was good because it meant that there was no time to start worrying about info. I got asked… wait for it. What’s different about the Merlin  as a smile spread across my face I came out with everything we’d put up on the forums. Again, relax and if you don’t know say it. They will keep pushing you and pushing you till you don’t know something. They got to the point with me when they asked how many hours ground school was on 208 Sqn when I gave them the answer they asked what was taught there. Blank expression, followed by an ‘I don’t know Ma’am but at best guess something like……’ It was a bad idea, I should’ve just left it at an ‘I don’t know!’

Med pt2
What it says on the tin. By the way guys the Wg Com gave me the all clear on my migraine history! Marked me fit all air/all ground.

During the chop we played hacky sac in the waiting area, nearly bust some of the fancy windows but hey ho. I was talking the SAC behind the desk when the phone rang and told him not to answer it lol. Overall 2 chopped here 4 during aptitudes, leaving 12 in pt 2.

Pt 2
The greens were so sexy I wanted to take them home. I can’t believe my bib covered the blue/yellow OASC badge!

Planning, for both the individual and the group, Read it through twice before you put pen to paper; Once to orientate yourself with the situation, twice to get an understanding of the task and the facilities. Then you can start to see plans emerging and work out the S/T/Ds for them. Me and one other did that, everyone else wrote right away and we were the only ones who had seen ways round the problem. Major thing here if you believe that you have the right answer and you’re going with the wrong one say it. I didn’t push mine cause I didn’t want to seem cocky and the boarding officer tore it to shreds before telling the group that I had the right one and that they should’ve listened to it.

When doing them write your thoughts in this order, especially for the individual as they inspect your notes after.

Priorities:
1. …….
2. …….
3. ……

Thoughts
1. Shark infested custard is a dangerous route
2. Police at X town
3. Time now is xx:yy

Facilities/Equipment:
1. Car (X MPH)
2. Ferry (Leaves X, Y, & Z/ returns X, Y & Z)
3. Blah, blah blah

Possible Actions:
1. This way, that way followed by that way and this way –
- start to this way (X Miles) Y time
- Etc
- Etc

2. That way, followed by up the creek etc

If you discount an option, at the point of discounting it put a single line through it (so you can still read it when they ask you about it) and write clearly why you discounted it. This is a well ordered approach and makes the information very clear when you get asked an unexpected question.

Group Ex
So much fun, just think it through and make sure that even if you mess it up it brings up the holes in your team so you can fix them over a beer in the bar that night.

Swimming
Practice, this is hard and I failed it! If you don’t swim as part of your training, start right now, TODAY!

Day Four
Don’t worry about s/t/d calcs for this, they’re provided on the card.

Leader ex
Best advice is to be clear concise and speak up. Control your team and be seen to be using individuals specifically for their inherent abilities – i.e. I was always point man because I was the lightest and they could take the strain of the plank as I ran along it and jumped off. Use tall people to bridge gaps/stretch distances and the fittest to take on long jumps.

Give 120% on everybody’s if you think you’ve got the idea shout ‘leader’ once and then keep your hand up (if you’re not hanging off a rope) they will get to you when they can, they’ve got other things to think about and if everyone’s screaming it suddenly makes an easy decision into a very hard task.

Have fun, it’s like an adults playground in there and anyone who has the mentality for it will love every second of it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How about posting this in the 'Your time at OASC' thread?
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
Yea soory, they crop up in so many places that I wasn't sure where to put it, lol.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol I know what you mean. Great post though, just had a read through it.

You must be glad it's over with!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.64%
Excited (155)
9.16%
Worried (304)
17.96%
Terrified (376)
22.21%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.7%
Impatient (213)
12.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise