RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

GR29KHS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well as OASC don't like you to get any practise at the aptitude tests, we know that there's no way they'd endorse this!

I wouldn't trust any advice about OASC that doesn't come either from the RAF, or a person who's attended the selection process.

--------------

Also, they're looking for innate abilities, not rehearsed skills. You can't fake your way through OASC, and if you somehow could, you'd end up struggling with the job because you'd rehearsed for the selection process but not the job you get at the end of it!
JoeMason
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey Offwanabe, there's nothing on that CD that you can't learn from these forums and from your AFCO im sure. Yes a promotion in the ATC would help you, but you'v got to do other things as well. Don't get too involved in cadets to the extent that it has a detrimental effect on your school work, social life, other hobbys ect, there looking for a well rounded individual.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Officerwannabe)
I found this link while searching on google:
http://www.how2become.co.uk/royalairforce.htm
As a friendly hint; save your cash. This looks like an utter pile of rubbish. The "psychometric tests" they're gushing about are nothing whatsoever like our aptitude tests.

I'd be happy to guess that it's all nonsense.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wonder if they do actually send you a CD, or just don't bother and send you a badge that says 'SUCKER' instead......

--------------

I found this link while searching on google:
http://www.how2become.co.uk/royalairforce.htm
On a more positive note Officerwannabe, kudos on the searching ability there! I've scoured the net for information on OASC but never found that site before.
Officerwannabe
Report 13 years ago
I was wondering...
Don't worry, I'm not THAT stupid, I was just checking, just in case there was the tiniest weeniest chance it was useful. And I have come to the conclusion it isn't. I will edit the post.
Officerwannabe
Report 13 years ago
Unfortunately, the website was just one of those annoying "sponsered links" that appear at the side of your google search and everyone completely ignores... I should have known better
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't even remember calling you a git GR4, lol.

Lol - good on you for clicking them then! :P

Mark
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Gemma, if you go to amazon.co.uk and look for RAF books it comes up on every page. Thats how I found it a few days ago!
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
If you want some psychometric test stuff, get 'The Times Psychometric Tests Pt1' It won't help with the trade specific stuff but the reasoning ones it willl. Also get some mensa Books - OASC do endorse those cause my report told me to have done a couple by the time I start IOT.
KSpin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GR4pilot)
If you want some psychometric test stuff, get 'The Times Psychometric Tests Pt1' It won't help with the trade specific stuff but the reasoning ones it willl. Also get some mensa Books - OASC do endorse those cause my report told me to have done a couple by the time I start IOT.
Do you reckon being a member of Mensa would help?
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
No Idea, I don't think it'd be worth joining up just to say to OASC 'oh yea and I'm a member of Mensa'.
LouE3D
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KSpin)
Do you reckon being a member of Mensa would help?
As far as I am aware, mensa hold lectures etc as opposed to providing opps to tune your psychometric capabilities... could be wrong!

However, there website does have a few good puzzles on it???!!!
GR4pilot
Report 13 years ago
they do both I think
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I bought 5 books off amazon, I'll let you know how I get on if you like. One is the entire history of the WSO branch and already looks really interesting!
Officerwannabe
Report 12 years ago
I just bought "The Modern RAF" By Jeremy Flack. Strangley the description on the site is "The Royal Air Force". It looks interesting and should have lots of juicy info on modern RAF structure and operations etc. I'll buzz back when i receive it.
Can't wait to dig in!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As pretty much the original thread in this subforum, and the biggest thread here, I think this deserves a bump.
Officerwannabe
Report 12 years ago
What do you mean?
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What do you mean?
When a thread hasn't been posted in for a while it moves further and further down the list. Posting in it will bring it back to the top. A lot of people like this thread and don't want to see it dissappear.
Dagg
Report 12 years ago
Hey I'm new here,

Been reading up as much as I can about the RAF and the like regarding officer/pilot training, entry etc. But I can't seem to find anything about laser eye surgery. I've had the surgery and now I can see 20/20 but does the RAF make any discriminations because my eyesight has been altered?

A quick reply would be appreciated. Thanks
Raptor
Report 12 years ago
YES. Laser eye surgery means that you're permenantly medically unfit (PMU) for entry as Military Aircrew. In case people try and 'wing' the eye sight test, the Corneal mapping will spot any such sugery.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.98%
No (590)
60.2%
Not really bothered about them (204)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise