RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Richard525)
the Americans allow applicant to have laser eye surgery why dont the raf.
Why should we? We have 1000s of applicants for every space who don't have previous eye surgery. So why not pick from the pool of 100% naturally fit candidates?

There's no need to open the pool wider. We only need 100-odd new pilots per year, so it's best to choose those who are 100% medically fit.

But what im reading above is that you can have PRK ?? Is that true?? Its all a bit sketchy, could someone please clarify !! :confused:
It's not "sketchy" at all. I explained it, twice, and I've been quoted above, in a deep level of detail.

To be selected you must have natural 6/6 vision.

Pilots already in the RAF who suffer from short sight have the option of glasses, contacts, or PRK.

If they choose PRK, they cannot fly for 12 months after, and are responsible for any damage caused by the surgery.

In the same way that glasses are fine for serving pilots but not for applicants, PRK's an option; albeit a risky one; if you're a serving pilot with poor eyesight. But it's not acceptable for an applicant.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Officerwannabe)
Just a general question, as you probably know, women can't join the RAF Regiment as it involves "combat". But women can join the army, and be RAF pilots. Surely these involve combat? Is this just sexism, or is there another reason?
Women can't serve in front line combat units in the Army, so you're only half right.

The last study I read regarding it went on for ages about battlefield psychology and the effect on a unit of men of having a woman involved. There's no such issue in a formation of jets.

I'll reach for the study somewhere if you're interested.
Officerwannabe
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I guess later on experience makes up for slightly deteriating eyesight, and need for lenses of some kind

--------------

Thanks wzz, it's quite strange though, wouldn't you think?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Officerwannabe)
I guess later on experience makes up for slightly deteriating eyesight, and need for lenses of some kind
No; the £5 000 000-ish cost of training you outweighs the deteriorating eyesight!

If someone joins at 18 with perfect eyesight, they have a much higher chance of their perfect eyesight staying or at least degrading less than someone joining at 18 with 6/24 vision.
Richard525
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Why should we? We have 1000s of applicants for every space who don't have previous eye surgery. So why not pick from the pool of 100% naturally fit candidates?

There's no need to open the pool wider. We only need 100-odd new pilots per year, so it's best to choose those who are 100% medically fit.

It's not "sketchy" at all. I explained it, twice, and I've been quoted above, in a deep level of detail.

To be selected you must have natural 6/6 vision.

Pilots already in the RAF who suffer from short sight have the option of glasses, contacts, or PRK.

If they choose PRK, they cannot fly for 12 months after, and are responsible for any damage caused by the surgery.

In the same way that glasses are fine for serving pilots but not for applicants, PRK's an option; albeit a risky one; if you're a serving pilot with poor eyesight. But it's not acceptable for an applicant.
And whats wrong about opening the pool even wider because if you are handing milloons of pounds in equipemnt, you want the best person for the job you can get.

So basically i cant join the RAF as a pilot then
Tornado_F3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well I've been to the Norwich AFCO and spoke to a really nice guy, he's been serving for 18 years and still has another 18 years to go yet.

Basically, he told me straight, without the correct un-aided vision, there's not much point in you trying to go for any aircrew career. He said that if i'd been in the RAF already as a serving member then things could possible be different.
But he asked me if there was anything else i was interested in, and then we got talking about these other careers.
He's given me these 'Careers Data' sheets (going by my qualifications and expected A-levels results): Fighter Controller, Air traffic control officer, Administrative Officer, Supply officer, Provost/Security officer (21+), Flight operations officer and intelligence officer.
This is also based on the fact that i'm quite good with computers. I am quite interested in the Fighter Controller career and i will begin to follow up on that.

If i do become a RAF serving member, after a couple of years, if there's chance for me to fly rotary wing after havin refractive error corrective surgery, then that would be good

But at this point in time, although i still wish i could be a Pilot, i'm more than content with Fighter Controller
GR29KHS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Um, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't most aircrew candidates that aren't going for pilot get away with slightly less than perfect vision?
Romper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by GemmaLS)
Um, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't most aircrew candidates that aren't going for pilot get away with slightly less than perfect vision?

Yup, NC Aircrew can be accepted with vision range +2 to -2 and even up to +4 to -4 for WSOp Linguist. So even the blind like me can get in (hopefully). Somebody posted a link to an optomety website with the vision specifications on, not sure where though...
Tornado_F3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Originally Posted by Wzz
As a civlian, if your eyesight is below the standards there's nothing you can do whatsoever. With less than 6/24, you can't be a WSO. With less than 6/6, you can't be a pilot. With better than 6/24 but worse than +/-3.00, you can't be a WSO or WSOp etc etc.
Well basically, i think that with you can still go for the other aircrew careers even if your vision isn't completely perfect. But the fact that i was sitting in front of the AFCO guy with my glasses on ( :rolleyes: ) was why he said that to me. He did say though that "Well i don't know how bad/good your vision is and only the opticians can decide that with their special little numbers"

So i guess its best to find out exactly how your vision is :confused:
CKinnerley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Romper)
Yup, NC Aircrew can be accepted with vision range +2 to -2 and even up to +4 to -4 for WSOp Linguist. So even the blind like me can get in (hopefully).
Phew.. I almost had a breakdown for a second there, thought the door to my chosen career path had suddenly been slammed closed in my face while the door men threw me out in to the puddles in the road.

I always did like the look of Linguist, but after about year 8 in high school it never was my forté. Better hope it's good news from my opticians form when they check me over for Crewman. Dear god do I want to get my hands on an M134 :p:
Kaiser
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CKinnerley)
. ...Dear god do I want to get my hands on an M134 :p:
So that you can kill people with it?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And whats wrong about opening the pool even wider because if you are handing milloons of pounds in equipemnt, you want the best person for the job you can get.
What makes you think you're better than the thousands of applicants with perfect vision?

That's the thing; there are enough 100% medically fit applicants who are so good through selection that you don't need to open the pool wider; you wouldn't get anyone better.
Raptor
Report 13 years ago

So basically i cant join the RAF as a pilot then
Pilot's are not known as the 'Master Race' for no reason. Can you imagine the furore that would ensue if less than perfect specimens were allowed to infiltrate the race?
CKinnerley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kaiser)
So that you can kill people with it?
Not specifically no, if it comes to that in a combat zone, then yes of course, defense of the aircraft I'm flying in (probably a Chinook in this case) would be my duty and I would fulfill that duty. I'm not specifically joining up so I can fire a minigun if that's what you're thinking, I could end up the winchman on a S&R helicopter and that'd be great with me to, what better job satisfaction than knowing when you're called out to an emergency it could very well be your actions that save someone's life?

Any of the Crewman or Electronic Warfare jobs are things I'd dearly love to make a career out of, and that's why I'm applying for WSOp.
Tornado_F3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm well my answer to the thing of
Dear god do I want to get my hands on an M134
would be, the knowing of being trusted to be in control of a gatling gun and people are depending on you for the safety of their copter, now thats why i can't wait to get my hands on an M134
Kaiser
Report 13 years ago
just interested
whiteshadow
Report 13 years ago
would any of the people of this establishment be attending OASC in february?
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Welcome to the forum

yes I believe a few people are.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi whiteshadow, welcome to the forum. I'll be there in February.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is this it then Nic, you're definitely going?!?!?!?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.42%
Excited (159)
9.19%
Worried (307)
17.74%
Terrified (383)
22.13%
Meh (176)
10.17%
Confused (37)
2.14%
Putting on a brave face (239)
13.81%
Impatient (215)
12.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise