RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't make that decision after EFT anyway, the RAF will.

And yes there are mathematics tests you can do. Speed distance time, that's pretty much it. You can't buy practise papers for co-ordination tests though can you?

You may need to do some more research on how it works before you start wondering about the aptitude tests.
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Archi_08, have you been to your local AFCO? They will be able to do a battery of aptitude tests and mental agility stuff which will tell you whether you have a chance of being flight crew. As Quiet_Mason said, you don't tell them you want to be a fighter pilot, they decide that if you pass Elementary Flight Training.

EFT is hard enough to get into, Fast Jet streams are extremely, extremely competitive.
Archi 08
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Quiet_Mason)
You won't make that decision after EFT anyway, the RAF will.

And yes there are mathematics tests you can do. Speed distance time, that's pretty much it. You can't buy practise papers for co-ordination tests though can you?

You may need to do some more research on how it works before you start wondering about the aptitude tests.
i have done some research just not sure about trainning, so can the RAF descide whether they want you for helis or jets or can you do a certain test for certain aircraft because i mainly want to go for fast jets
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by digitalis)
Archi_08, have you been to your local AFCO? They will be able to do a battery of aptitude tests and mental agility stuff which will tell you whether you have a chance of being flight crew. As Quiet_Mason said, you don't tell them you want to be a fighter pilot, they decide that if you pass Elementary Flight Training.

EFT is hard enough to get into, Fast Jet streams are extremely, extremely competitive.

ok thanks that helped alot , so i go down my local AFCO and ask them to do aptitude test and stuff, is EFT hard?
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Archi 08)
i have done some research just not sure about trainning, so can the RAF descide whether they want you for helis or jets or can you do a certain test for certain aircraft because i mainly want to go for fast jets
You will be TOLD at the end of your first flying course, which way you will go in regards to fast jet, rotary or fixed wing airframes. You do have some say in the matter, but it is the RAF ultimate decision.

Don't worry about how hard EFT is just yet.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
You will be TOLD at the end of your first flying course, which way you will go in regards to fast jet, rotary or fixed wing airframes. You do have some say in the matter, but it is the RAF ultimate decision.

Don't worry about how hard EFT is just yet.
does it depend on your ability in EFT or is it what evers available
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Both.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
ok thanks , abit disapointing all this study results to just sheer luck :confused:
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Where is the luck? The only luck is with your medical.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
Where is the luck? The only luck is with your medical.

availibility
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
availibility
If you get past your filter, OASC Part A, OASC Part B, IOT, EFT, I'm sure you'd be happy even if you got put on fixed wing.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=Quiet_Mason]If you get past your filter, OASC Part A, OASC Part B, IOT, EFT, I'm sure you'd be happy even if you got put on fixed wing.[/QUO

my main focus is jet, nothing else interests me im very motivated im just goanna do whatever it takes
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well what are you going to do if you get all that way and you are put on a nice fast Nimrod?
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
Well what are you going to do if you get all that way and you are put on a nice fast Nimrod?

leave, LOL i want to fly fast fighter jet aircraft if not theres always the royal navy , ive come all this way just to fly a rotary wing?
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
leave, LOL i want to fly fast fighter jet aircraft if not theres always the royal navy , ive come all this way just to fly a rotary wing?
Leave? :rolleyes:

How can you have made the decision to go for fast jet, if you don't know what a Nimrod isnt rotary?

And lets say somehow you managed that. So you go to the Navy. Firstly, would they take you, having just dropped out because you didnt get the airframe you wanted? Secondly, what makes you think that Royal Navy would let your fly their harriers when the RAF wouldnt? Thirdly (and quite closely related to the second major issue) what are you going to do when you get to the end of EFT with the Navy, and then give you a Lynx?

Please don't answer with "go and fly the army fast jets".
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
Leave? :rolleyes:

And lets say somehow you managed that. So you go to the Navy. Firstly, would they take you, having just dropped out because you didnt get the airframe you wanted? Secondly, what makes you think that Royal Navy would let your fly their harriers when the RAF wouldnt? Thirdly (and quite closely related to the second major issue) what are you going to do when you get to the end of EFT with the Navy, and then give you a Lynx?

Please don't answer with "go and fly the army fast jets".
so your telling me that the whole trainning for RAF pilot is all just a big gamble because at the end your assisgned to what they need you in. i mean people who wanna fly jets should be able to have a shot whys whats the point of even joining the airforce if you cant go to the specific aircraft you want, they should at least let the person aim towards it i mean coming out with "erm we currently need pilots in nimrods" or whatever thats a huge career change. what if people don want to fly nimrods or transport aircraft.

AND I KNOW WHAT A NIMROD IS! i was using rotary wing as an example
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so your telling me that the whole trainning for RAF pilot is all just a big gamble because at the end your assisgned to what they need you in. i mean people who wanna fly jets should be able to have a shot whys whats the point of even joining the airforce if you cant go to the specific aircraft you want, they should at least let the person aim towards it i mean coming out with "erm we currently need pilots in nimrods" or whatever thats a huge career change. what if people don want to fly nimrods or transport aircraft.
Well I want to fly fast jets too. So does Mr X.

Me, you and Mr X have to fill 2 fast jet slots. But its our choice, so we all get fast jet. Unfortunatly, they needed someone to fly the Nimrod to gather intelligence. Oh dear we all get shot down.

Not a good example, but you get the idea.

Seriously. Do not base your application on getting fast jet. It would be an insane thing to do.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
Well I want to fly fast jets too. So does Mr X.

Me, you and Mr X have to fill 2 fast jet slots. But its our choice, so we all get fast jet. Unfortunatly, they needed someone to fly the Nimrod to gather intelligence. Oh dear we all get shot down.

Not a good example, but you get the idea.

Seriously. Do not base your application on getting fast jet. It would be an insane thing to do.
what do you mean "base application on fast jet"
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't go in to the RAF, thinking you are going to get fast jet at the end. It would be a very silly thing to do. Leaving isnt as simple as "leaving" when they have spent several hundred thousand pounds training you by that point.
Archi 08
Report 11 years ago
Don't go in to the RAF, thinking you are going to get fast jet at the end. It would be a very silly thing to do. Leaving isnt as simple as "leaving" when they have spent several hundred thousand pounds training you by that point.
well i just have to hope that i get fast jet, can i state what i prefer to fly? and say they assisgn me to nimrods do i have an option along the line of switching to fast jet or am i with that assisgned airframe through service.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
19.94%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (134)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.58%

Watched Threads