Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can change airframes within type (say C130K to C130J), but it is unlikely that you will go to fast jet from rotary or fixed wing. Having said that, you could go FROM fast jet to fixed.

As said earlier, you can say what you want, but it might not be what you get.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Quiet_Mason)
Leave? :rolleyes:

How can you have made the decision to go for fast jet, if you don't know what a Nimrod isnt rotary?

And lets say somehow you managed that. So you go to the Navy. Firstly, would they take you, having just dropped out because you didnt get the airframe you wanted? Secondly, what makes you think that Royal Navy would let your fly their harriers when the RAF wouldnt? Thirdly (and quite closely related to the second major issue) what are you going to do when you get to the end of EFT with the Navy, and then give you a Lynx?

Please don't answer with "go and fly the army fast jets".
I didn't get answers for these
Archi 08
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I didn't get answers for these
i typed a long answer for this but it got deleted so i left it but i will do it again.

my answer was that if someone wants to apply for a certain airframe and they've been studying there whole life just to be a jet pilot and get turned down because the position isnt availible i mean can you see where im coming from, its a recklace thing to say that theres no current positions availible when he/she could have been told before selection
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are joking? What if everyone wanted to be a fast jet pilot? And remember most do. The needs of the RAF change every single year.

You won't be exactly turned down, you'll just be given something different to fly. Would you honestly be that gutted if you didn’t get one of the THREE fast jets (currently) and you did get one of the other... (erm....counts - and may be wrong) EIGHTEEN aircraft (currently, soon to go to 20)? You would still be a pilot for the RAF.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
You are joking? What if everyone wanted to be a fast jet pilot? And remember most do. The needs of the RAF change every single year.

You won't be exactly turned down, you'll just be given something different to fly. Would you honestly be that gutted if you didn’t get one of the THREE fast jets (currently) and you did get one of the other... (erm....counts - and may be wrong) EIGHTEEN aircraft (currently, soon to go to 20)? You would still be a pilot for the RAF.

i know but im that focused and motivated i mean theres a new fighter jet aircraft coming into service in 2012 when i will most likely join seing as it takes a long time to train so hopefuly there will be a greater demand. what about the current fighter pilots they must of been very lucky to get in , how i envy them
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Archi 08)
i know but im that focused and motivated i mean theres a new fighter jet aircraft coming into service in 2012 when i will most likely join seing as it takes a long time to train so hopefuly there will be a greater demand. what about the current fighter pilots they must of been very lucky to get in , how i envy them
The JSF won't be ready by 2012. I would be extremly supprised if it was - they are apparently having huge problems with it. How do you know there will be a greater demand? The JSF is coming in yes, but have you thought about whats going out?
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
The JSF won't be ready by 2012. I would be extremly supprised if it was - they are apparently having huge problems with it. How do you know there will be a greater demand? The JSF is coming in yes, but have you thought about whats going out?

well i read this on the royal navy website and it says its going to be a joint aircraft with the harriers mainly for air to air dont know about the RAF situation but dont forget theres 2 different types of tornado and harrier i would be happy in any fighter jet , mainly the Eurofighter but i know even getting selected for fighter jets is difficult, you've shed light on things but im still goanna go with it i been wanting this from a young age im not going to give it up over the sake that theres a posibility that it wont happen
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
i thaught it was replacing the jaguar?
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Archi 08)
well i read this on the royal navy website and it says its going to be a joint aircraft with the harriers mainly for air to air dont know about the RAF situation but dont forget theres 2 different types of tornado and harrier i would be happy in any fighter jet , mainly the Eurofighter but i know even getting selected for fighter jets is difficult, you've shed light on things but im still goanna go with it i been wanting this from a young age im not going to give it up over the sake that theres a posibility that it wont happen
I'm certainly not saying you should give up on your dream, but certainly don't go into the forces, thinking you will be able to leave easily if you don't get on the BFJT pipeline.

And yes, there are two type of Tornado and Harrier. The harriers are going, and so is the F3. The GR4 will eventually be replaced by the Eurofighter anyway.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
I'm certainly not saying you should give up on your dream, but certainly don't go into the forces, thinking you will be able to leave easily if you don't get on the BFJT pipeline.

And yes, there are two type of Tornado and Harrier. The harriers are going, and so is the F3. The GR4 will eventually be replaced by the Eurofighter anyway.
so how many aircraft will be left the tornado is awesome i would love to pilot that i heard a rumour that the RAF were getting f18s. anyway what are you applying for or have you applied
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
F18s I very much doubt, but I suppose its possible.

I've just got back from OASC.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
F18s I very much doubt, but I suppose its possible.

I've just got back from OASC.
remind me whats OASC and what position ,pilot? wish you all the best and luck.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It stands for Officer Aircrew Selection Centre. I applied for pilot yes.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
It stands for Officer Aircrew Selection Centre. I applied for pilot yes.

oh so you just applied today and awaiting a response? what do you want to fly dare i ask
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No I applied about 8 months ago.

Without wishing to be rude ( and I really am not trying to be rude ) , you say you've been studying you entire life for this but you seem to be lacking in a couple of areas?

I'd personally want to fly either the Chinook or the GR4 - two extremes there. But I want to end up as a QFI.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
No I applied about 8 months ago.

Without wishing to be rude, you say you've been studying you entire life for this but you seem to be lacking in a couple of areas?

I'd personally want to fly either the Chinook or the GR4 - two extremes there. But I want to end up as a QFI.
well to be honest i dont realy know the routines as the website only says the basics like once youve passed the interview you have to await a response for selection which is why i was confused when you said "i just came from OASC" :rolleyes:
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well these are the stages of an application, thanks to BH.

1. Initial Talk at the AFCO (Armed Force Careers Office). You go to your AFCO and chat to the staff there. They'll give you the right brochures and ascertain whether you are qualified to apply for the given branches. You don't need to know anything other than the fact you are interested, they will give you as much information and advice as you want.

2. Officer Presentation. You spend several hours at the AFCO and recieve information about the RAF, The RAF/Officer Way of Life, The Selction Process and Initial Officer Training. BE WARNED - many of the questions that you'll later get asked in interview can be answered from the information given during the presentation. TAKE LOTS OF NOTES. Especially about OASC and IOT (you need to know these in great detail). Finally, ask loads of questions...this isn't a time to be shy!

3. AFCO Interview. The first stage of the selection process proper. The interview lasts between 30 min and an hour. They will ask about you family background, education (know your grades!), jobs you've done, hobbies, sports, when you've had reponsibility, why you want to join the RAF, why you want to be an Officer, why you want to do the branch/es you've chosen, what happens at OASC, what you do at IOT, what you do for your Branch training and what you will do as a Junior Officer in your branch. Sometimes they will ask about Military topics (overseas bases, deployments, aircraft etc) Top Tips....prepare really well, be very confident and SELL YOURSELF. If you pass this they will send you to OASC....

4. OASC. (Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre) 4 days at RAF Cranwell. PART ONE is Aptitude Test, Medical and Interview (very hard interview). If you pass Part One, you will go on to complete PART TWO. Part Two is Discussion Exercise, Fitness Test, Individual Problem Solving, Group Problem Solving, Leaderless Practical Exercise, Leadership Exercise and a final Interview.
Archi 08
Report 12 years ago
and im about 3 years away from applying as i havent got any A-levels yet i just like to practice exams so when im ready to join i should know a great deal on what to do
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Number 4 is slightly out of date though.
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well there isn't much you can do for the aptitude tests other than speed distance time calculations. In 3 years time they could be totally different anyway who knows.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed