Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet_Mason)
    Well there isn't much you can do for the aptitude tests other than speed distance time calculations. In 3 years time they could be totally different anyway who knows.
    yeah thanks for thoughs pointers sounds like alot of effort and interviews, so have you passed part 1 yet ?

ReputationRep:
    I will found out in around 2 weeks. But I don't think I did well enough this year.

ReputationRep:
    I will found out in around 2 weeks. But I don't think I did well enough this year.
    was the tests hard like numerical reasoning and stuff ? also in the interview in part 1 or 2 whats it about

ReputationRep:
    errrrrrrr the numberical reasoning was very difficult for me personally. I didn't do very well even though I passed. Having said that, other people may find it totally fine.

There have been interviews placed in the frequently asked questions thread on this site found here, here and here.

And here.

ReputationRep:
    Must say, reading the last few posts made me do a combination of :rolleyes: and .

study results to just sheer luck
    It's not luck, it's aptitude and intelligence. What they will be saying is isthis bloke good enough and reliable enough to take this plane, carry out the mission and return with out destroying a few million pounds worth of airframe and/or killing people in the process.

leave, LOL i want to fly fast fighter jet aircraft
    They will pull out your service agreement and say Sorry, your in for a good few years...unless you want to spend time at a military police jail?

i mean people who wanna fly jets should be able to have a shot whys whats the point of even joining the airforce if you cant go to the specific aircraft you wan
    Most people want to fly fast jets, probably for exactly the reasons you want to :rolleyes: The second bit about what's the point raises serious concerns, you are joining the RAF as an officer first and a pilot second. Why can't you go to the specific aircraft? Perhaps your not suited to it, or you are just not good enough

It's time to start doing some serious research into what being an RAF officer is all about, the service ethos, question why you really want to do it.

Then go to your AFCO, who will advise you on the qualifications you need. They will probably say something like 5A*-C grades at GCSE, but remember that is the bare minimum. Most people applying will have far more. Also find out the proportion of aircrew who have degrees.

Start working damn hard for them now (I guess your at Year 11) and keep working all the way through A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Must say, reading the last few posts made me do a combination of :rolleyes: and .

It's not luck, it's aptitude and intelligence. What they will be saying is isthis bloke good enough and reliable enough to take this plane, carry out the mission and return with out destroying a few million pounds worth of airframe and/or killing people in the process.

They will pull out your service agreement and say Sorry, your in for a good few years...unless you want to spend time at a military police jail?

Most people want to fly fast jets, probably for exactly the reasons you want to :rolleyes: The second bit about what's the point raises serious concerns, you are joining the RAF as an officer first and a pilot second. Why can't you go to the specific aircraft? Perhaps your not suited to it, or you are just not good enough

It's time to start doing some serious research into what being an RAF officer is all about, the service ethos, question why you really want to do it.

Then go to your AFCO, who will advise you on the qualifications you need. They will probably say something like 5A*-C grades at GCSE, but remember that is the bare minimum. Most people applying will have far more. Also find out the proportion of aircrew who have degrees.

Start working damn hard for them now (I guess your at Year 11) and keep working all the way through A levels.
    Agreed. May I also look into the disadvantages of an RAF/HM forces career, and look at how long you are signing your life away for.

ReputationRep:
    You loved it.

ReputationRep:

first year at college, so your saying its all competitive ive got to offer them something different from the others, so having better grades will increase my chance of being a fighter pilot?

ReputationRep:
    No having amazing grades will put you on par with everyone else.

p.s. please take that picture of that sweaty American plane off your avatar.

ReputationRep:
    the main reason i signed up for this website was to ask tips and query people who have already been into selection and stuff so all this information was handy i now know alot on whats expected of me and what i can do to improve my chances of being a fighter pilot

ReputationRep:
    No having amazing grades will put you on par with everyone else.

p.s. please take that picture of that sweaty American plane off your avatar.

thats an f22 raptor! lol i would have that to a nimrod anyday, i want to know tips that will INCREASE my chances of being a fighter pilot

ReputationRep:
    Go study something like Aeronautical Engineering at a decent uni

What are you doing at college btw?

Also note, that IF you do get into the fast jet stream, I understand it's pretty difficult to convert to an ATPL if you want to go fly for the airlines.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know what it is.

Improve your knowledge of the RAF/current affairs/military affairs
    Get good grades at school
    Get fit
    Talk to your AFCO
    Join a military organistion for experience

EDIT: yes you could also do that, lol. I would if I was clever enough lol.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I could never...I'm too crap at Maths/Phy

ReputationRep:
    Same.

(but just in case any boarding officers are watcing)

I'm fantastic at maths. I'd make an awesome pilot. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Go study something like Aeronautical Engineering at a decent uni

What are you doing at college btw?

Also note, that IF you do get into the fast jet stream, I understand it's pretty difficult to convert to an ATPL if you want to go fly for the airlines.
    well im doing a maths bridging course which will get me a B in GCSE im also going to do A-level physics, film studies and maybe biology

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered an RAF scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered an RAF scholarship?

what is it? how do i get it? does it improve chances of being a FP

i need to go soon mums calling me for dinner :mad:

i will reply later thanks all great information maybe i will see you there hahaahaha in 3 years lets hope

ReputationRep:
    FP?

Its basically a sponsorship scheme to get you through your a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    FP=Fighter Pilot methinks

What did you get in your GCSEs Archi_08

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.