RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Archi 08
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Quiet_Mason)
FP?

Its basically a sponsorship scheme to get you through your a-levels.
will it help
Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I sent you a private message about it Archi.
nad
Report 11 years ago
I am wanting to join the armed forces. My first choice was a logistics officer in the navy howver I have just received a letter stating my eyesight is over the limit- I am -6.25 and -5.75- and the requirements are -6/ +6! So am now considering the army and there requirments are -7/+8 can anyone else tell me whether that is the case?
digitalis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Whether that is the case for what?
Lady Venom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If the Army say that is there eyesight requirements - then it is!
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
If the Army say that is there eyesight requirements - then it is!
Ha!
Berrs003
Report 11 years ago
If you need someone to talk to about scholarships PM me. I have just completed the whole process (First visit to AFCO through to completing OASC just last week )

I could give you some pointers/guidance but nothing that i feel would directly increase your chances.

P.s - i will write an OASC diary in due course )
sam stewart
Report 10 years ago
for the application process you have to have the usual qualifications(5 GCSEs and 2 A levels), but you need something more than that. I was told by the RAF and an x vc10 pilot to get at least 8hrs of flying training behind you otherwise you won't have a chance1. NOT A CHANCE! you can't be over 23yrs old otherwise they won't train you becasue you are too old. I am gettin my ppl lience and the army was impress. this made me stand out from all the other applicates. They were thinking that this guy can fly so thts half the battle. Because i have gone out to get something tht i wanted i've been rewarded with apache pilot training course.

To sum it up you can't just be like anyone else, you have to go out there and show them that you want this. i've spent 6k on flying lessons. now you have to spend a bit of money to get somewhere where you want, and they will see how winning you are for this 'job'. its more than a job and if they don't think that u see it as more than a job then by by.

At least between 8-20hrs of flying before your first interview otherwise if you do do good in the interview they will tell you to go away and get some flying experience and come back another day. thats what they told need and i did it. do what they tell you.

By the way all pilots in the army air corps are commissioned officers, its the co-pilot gunner that can be an jnco(corporal, serjant). You can only apply for pilot if your in the aac as a soldier with the rank of corporal or in the reme as aircraft technician. in NO other regiment will they take you on. believe me.

i got lucky because i didn't need the rank of corporal becasue i am finishing my ppl lience in summer. its becasue of this, my flying that has got me in. flying experience goes a long way. im only 18 and have a starting date in september. to go in as a pilot in any of the services you NEED flying experience to show them that you do want this 'job'. your a commissoned officer in the army air corps first, pilot second, in the RAF your a pilot first, officer second same with the navy.
sam stewart
Report 10 years ago
2 a levels and 5 GCSE.

you really want all 10 GCSE c and above and 3 A levels in either pratical subjects like me or writen based subjects. you may want to consider getting a sponourship with them or even better go get some flying lessons when your 16. you may want to get a degree.
Lady Venom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sam stewart)
for the application process you have to have the usual qualifications(5 GCSEs and 2 A levels), but you need something more than that. I was told by the RAF and an x vc10 pilot to get at least 8hrs of flying training behind you otherwise you won't have a chance1. NOT A CHANCE!
Lies!

I am gettin my ppl lience and the army was impress.
I doubt it.....

this made me stand out from all the other applicates.
Again, yes in the banking factor but with the Army it doesn't make a cahoot of a difference.... nor with the RAF/RN.

They were thinking that this guy can fly so thts half the battle. Because i have gone out to get something tht i wanted i've been rewarded with apache pilot training course.
OMG

[quoteTo sum it up you can't just be like anyone else, you have to go out there and show them that you want this. i've spent 6k on flying lessons.[/quote]

Wow, 6K and you haven't even got a license to show for it yet? Someone's ripped you off mate.... you should have waited until you'd done EFT; that would have been 30 odd free hours.

At least between 8-20hrs of flying before your first interview otherwise if you do do good in the interview they will tell you to go away and get some flying experience and come back another day. thats what they told need and i did it. do what they tell you.
No, they don't tell anyone to get experience, they *may* suggest a trial flight to see whether you enjoy being airborne but NEVER flying lessons.

By the way all pilots in the army air corps are commissioned officers
No mate, there are more NCO Pilots than Commissioned pilots

its the co-pilot gunner that can be an jnco(corporal, serjant).
No, in the Apache world, the Officer ends up being the 'gunner'/Weapons operator usually after a few tours in the back seat.

You can only apply for pilot if your in the aac as a soldier with the rank of corporal or in the reme as aircraft technician. in NO other regiment will they take you on. believe me.
Lies. You can join from any regiment as long as you've served the minimum time with that regiment prior to applying to change; 2 years IIRC before ap. You can apply as a Lance Jack and do grading as a Lance Jack if you are AAC. A pass at grading will often see a promotion to Cpl anyway.

i got lucky because i didn't need the rank of corporal becasue i am finishing my ppl lience in summer. its becasue of this, my flying that has got me in. flying experience goes a long way. im only 18 and have a starting date in september. to go in as a pilot in any of the services you NEED flying experience to show them that you do want this 'job'. your a commissoned officer in the army air corps first, pilot second, in the RAF your a pilot first, officer second same with the navy.
You certainly got lucky... you need to be Cpl before you can start flying training. They will make you wait, trust me! I know a trooper who got a grading slot and passed highly and he won't see a date until he's got Cpl.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Wow, impressively bad first post there! How can you be 'in the system' and yet not only know nothing about it, but be so totally wrong about it? Or are you talking about Flight Sim world here? Because people who have done military flying training will all tell exactly the same story, civilian flying experience confers little if any useful advantage.

I accept that money spent on flying is never wasted because it's fun- but money spent on a PPL isn't going to help you beyond the first 8-10 hours of military flying training, and it isn't going to help you get through aptitude and selection.
eyes on
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can I just say, that made EXCELLENT reading I was actually laughing out loud
McLovin'5000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you can't be over 23yrs old otherwise they won't train you becasue you are too old.
Does this mean I can't start IOT in June? Oh NO!!

I thought the boarding officers told me to go and spend £6,000 on flying before being able to start training - damn, this is all looking terrible for me now

Sam Stewart - I don't actually believe you know anything about being selected to join any of the armed forces in any capacity!
newboyintown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eyes on)
Can I just say, that made EXCELLENT reading I was actually laughing out loud
:yep:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wish I had seen this post first.
Theo1977
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't let TPD and LV stop you ... please!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll just politely point out to any wannabes who read this that everything; literally everything; that Sam wrote is utter, utter hoop of the highest order.

To Sam, you come across as a terribly young cadet or the suchlike who's decided he'd like to be an Apache pilot and feels like acting the big man on the internet about it! If you really want to do it, I'd encourage you to register another username, then pitch up and ask what's required to actually do it. We have at least one person who contributes here who's near enough flying with the AAC, and I'm sure a few people who can steer you right on any of the other parts.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wowisn't this the ORIGINAL thread???? What I did the other day doesn't seem half as bad now does it?
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest I thought it was you who had dug another one up from the archive again!

I really hope Sam Stewart gets on well with his Apache Pilot training course. He can tell me all about it when he's handing me my Big Mac and fries.

/harshness
newboyintown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
To be honest I thought it was you who had dug another one up from the archive again!

I really hope Sam Stewart gets on well with his Apache Pilot training course. He can tell me all about it when he's handing me my Big Mac and fries.

/harshness
Over the counter or Drive Through (Or Fly through rather) ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%
Putting on a brave face (238)
13.82%
Impatient (214)
12.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise