Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by newboyintown)
Over the counter or Drive Through (Or Fly through rather) ?
Hopefully standing on two feet rather than knuckle-dragging...
Matti_dude
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Just wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm 16 and i'm taking my GCSE's this summer and then hopefully will go on to do A-levels. I'm very motivated and i'm very healthy. My best subject is also Maths which i've heard is very helpful. I want to start preparing now because i guess the sooner the better. But what can i do to prepare myself for the selection process?
Thanks Matt
eyes on
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi Matti_dude. I take it you want to be a Pilot?
Preparation:
It will be worth joining the Air Training Corps (if you haven't already done so).
Try to get yourself in a position of leadership somewhere within school/6th form.
If you don't already, start playing a team sport.
Lead a busy life in general!

Then stuff you can learn out of interest/preparation (although it can be done nearer the time) would include, RAF bases and equipment, RAF operations and current affairs - keep up to date with the news.
Have a look round the forums in the armed forces section and you will find plenty of information about applying, everyone is very helpful.
Matti_dude
Report 10 years ago
Ok thanks. I'm guessing I can get all of that information either off their website or by watching the news? Any other extra skills needed? Such as reading a map properly?
McLovin'5000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey Matti, firstly, congratulations on a cool name!

I've been selected for Pilot and I start on the 7th June. Eyes on is pretty spot on with what you can be doing over the next two years. You should definitely get in the habit of reading newspapers and watching the news on a regular basis. I mean some stories will still be relevant when you do eventually get round to applying and it will be good to have that depth of knowledge.

You really need to start thinking about developing yourself in terms of leadership as well, it's been suggested joining the ATC and playing team sports/getting involved with social activities - once you're in, it's all about taking every opportunity that is put in front of you. The boarding officers will love hearing about that.

Your grades at school are important as filling your spare time out of school so it's about getting a right balance. Don't overload yourself either way, which I did when I was younger.

Reading a map won't be particularly beneficial when it comes to doing OASC and things like that but if you can keep up speed/distance/time calculations up until your application then you will be a whizz!! The RAF website is okay for information, the RAF news was helpful in my preparation, there is an RAF annual with all the aircraft, squadrons and roles etc which comes out annually.
Matti_dude
Report 10 years ago
thanks for the help, i got an eye test just the other week and they said my eyes were above average, so hopefully they wont deteriorate. (like my dads did) As far as i know i've got none of the medical problems that are listed on the website. Just wondering but what does ATC stand for?
Owen27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Air Training Corps
Matti_dude
Report 10 years ago
Is there a way of finding out where the closest one is to me? I live in a fairly remote area and getting dropped off might be difficult
Schleigg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try here
Matti_dude
Report 10 years ago
Thanks found the nearest one to me just 15 minutes away. Also what are the height limits? I'm 5ft 7/8, do you think that is tall enough incase i don't grow anymore?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plenty tall enough. You need to think about the more general things at the moment. Speak to the AFCO and get some paperwork so that you know more about what you want, but then just focus on getting decent grades at school and taking part in team sports etc. The ATC will be very useful if you decide to join, because it offers you opportunities to do all the things the RAF like to see in a candidate, leadership, teamwork, adventure training etc. But if you can't join for some reason then you should try to do those things by yourself. Don't get bogged down in the detail of running times, press ups etc at the moment.
Gareth3001
Report 10 years ago
Sam Stewart...........what are you talking about?! People on here try to help each other out, you are misleading people. 8 years flying experience? So everyone who joins at 18 has to start flying at 10? Rubbish!! If you have the necessary qualifications, leadership potential, personality, commitment, aptitude and RAF knolwedge then the RAF will spend 3 MILLION pounds training you to be a pilot. You think 6 thousand is anywhere near enough?! Its not. True that 23 is the age limit to join off civvy street but it is possible to re-trade when already in upto the age of 30, although admittedly difficult. If anyone (including Sam) would like correct information on pilot related issues then please get in touch and I shall reply to your queries to set you straight. At least I know what I'm talking about, as I should.
eyes on
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Poor sam stewart, I wonder if he will ever post again...
newboyintown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eyes on)
Poor sam stewart, I wonder if he will ever post again...
He is flying at the moment. Let him land first.
sam stewart
Report 10 years ago
i know tht it wos big headed of me but i wnted 2 put the point across wot thy do actually wnt. i hav a startin date now in novembr. i dont wnt 2 give any1 false hope but this is wot the services r lookin for. no point of goin into da interview a sayin i wnt 2 becom a pilot whn u hav NEVER done it, never had a leson before. raf and the army r VERY different places. i have a startin date. its best 2 hear from people tht r goin through the process or HAVE been through it. the carrers offices can only give u a little info on any one particular job, but if u go 2 a pilot and ask them about the process then u have a betr insite into the job and wot is requirred.

here's something 2 think about. who do u think thy will choose.

option 1. 18 year old who has shown his devotion to aviation and has join out ther 2 optain his ppl liensce, shown them tht he can fly and has already gone out there and proved tht.

option 2. 18-23 year old who has fantasied about flying, who has NEVER gone out there and hasn't done it. who can walk into an interview and say that thy have always wnted 2 do something but has never gone out there and done it.

Remember about how many other people have are going 4 this job. wot is goin 2 make you stick out from the others. why should they look at you. remember that. these r the moth competitive jobs in the world. if you are like me and have no relatives that have been in the forces then you have to try harder.
Schleigg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sam stewart)
i know tht it wos big headed of me but i wnted 2 put the point across wot thy do actually wnt. i hav a startin date now in novembr. i dont wnt 2 give any1 false hope but this is wot the services r lookin for. no point of goin into da interview a sayin i wnt 2 becom a pilot whn u hav NEVER done it, never had a leson before. raf and the army r VERY different places. i have a startin date. its best 2 hear from people tht r goin through the process or HAVE been through it. the carrers offices can only give u a little info on any one particular job, but if u go 2 a pilot and ask them about the process then u have a betr insite into the job and wot is requirred.

option 1. 18 year old who has shown his devotion to aviation and has join out ther 2 optain his ppl liensce, shown them tht he can fly and has already gone out there and proved tht.

option 2. 18-23 year old who has fantasied about flying, who has NEVER gone out there and hasn't done it. who can walk into an interview and say that thy have always wnted 2 do something but has never gone out there and done it.

Remember about how many other people have are going 4 this job. wot is goin 2 make you stick out from the others. why should they look at you. remember that. these r the moth competitive jobs in the world. if you are like me and have no relatives that have been in the forces then you have to try harder.
You don't give up do you?

A PPL makes little to no difference if you want to join the RAF as a pilot. As has been stated ad nauseum: Military flying is very different from commercial/ private flying.

The selection board are more likely to pick a good Officer candidate who has never flown than a "big headed" PPL holder. (Your words, not mine)

Just out of interest, are you starting at Cranwell or Sandhurst in Novermber?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know tht it wos big headed of me but i wnted 2 put the point across wot thy do actually wnt. i hav a startin date now in novembr. i dont wnt 2 give any1 false hope but this is wot the services r lookin for.
Sam, this is utter, utter rubbish from start to finish. You have utterly no idea what the services are looking for, and frankly your approach to grammar and spelling makes me doubt whether you'd be able to join the Army in any capacity.

Firstly, there are a lot of holes in your story that you won't plug. You have a start date for "an apache pilot training course," but without actually being in the AAC yet? That's impossible; you have either joined the AAC as an Air Trooper, at which point you'll have a long old wait before you're eligible for competition to become a pilot, or you've joined as an officer, in which case you ought to wait until you're at Sandhurst and can confirm the AAC are definitely going to take you. Then you have to pass DEFTS and get through Shawbury and Wallop, and dodge the Lynx and Gazelle before you can get a start date for an Apache CTT course.

but if u go 2 a pilot and ask them about the process then u have a betr insite into the job and wot is requirred.
So I hope everyone will listen to me rather than you!

OK Sam, I used to be an interviewer, and I used to work in recruiting, so I know the answer to that one, and it's probably option 2.

The services are interested in how much you've taken advantage of the opportunities made available to you throughout your life. Not many 18 year olds have £6000 to throw at flying lessons, and therefore it would be stupid to have that as some sort of silly "requirement." If you've taken PPL lessons, fine, but what the services want is motivation that's more tangible than throwing money at civilian flying.

They want someone who does a lot of extracurricular activities at school and university. Someone who enjoys aspects of military life, and joined the cadets and then OTC/UAS/URNU. Someone who does well academically and can apply themselves, someone energetic and sporting, and someone who's an all-round good sort of person.

Having or not having a pot of cash to pay for flying lessons has NOTHING to do with selection and will be ignored. As an interviewer, you can't bump up one candidate's score against another because of an opportunity like that that only one of them had. It isn't fair, so it isn't done.

Having relatives in the forces also makes utterly no difference at all. They're looking for the sort of person I mentioned above, and flying has nothing to do with it at all.

There are plenty of people like me who didn't have any relatives in any forces and had never been in an aircraft. I applied, passed, and am now a fast jet pilot. A key point is that civilian flying will have taught you differently to military flying, and we actually prefer our new candidates to have no flying experience!!! It makes them easier to train if you're starting from a clean sheet!

I'm also curious as to how, after just (apparently) getting a start date in the post, you seem to know so much about exactly why you were selected and how important the PPL flying allegedly was?

Overall, you're talking more nonsense than anyone on this forum ever has, I think. You do not need flying lessons to be able to join, and I would discourage anyone from trying that. If you must do something, go gliding.

If you'd like to be taken seriously on this forum, please do some proper explaining. I am pretty certain you do not have a start date to go direct to Apache training, but if you'd like to explain what you are doing people will be happy to take in what you've got to say.
Michel Foucault
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't wait to read his reply to that one.

This thread seems to have turned into the Armed Forces forum's own mini-soap opera of late!
Gareth3001
Report 10 years ago
You missed one thing WZZ, he's on a thread discussing "RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry" and yet is banging on about being an Apache pilot in the Army! He's not even on the correct thread! I think I'll side with you, I don't even think he's been to his local AFCO nevermind been accepted!!!!
Theo1977
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DBazza)
I can't wait to read his reply to that one.
I can, his answers hurt my eyes :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (95)
26.99%
No (257)
73.01%

Watched Threads