RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

uppercrust
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Wow cant believe i missed all this!

Im looking forward to the next installment!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Changing tack slightly: following what I've been reading here, it appears there may be new rules regarding eyesight for Pilots.

Please remember, the site is a rumour-based one and the two accounts may not be accurate, but it's something to look into if anyone has been disappointed before.
sam stewart
Report 9 years ago
firstly what forum should i go to or what other website is the best place to talk about apache pilot training?

i have the academic qualifications for the job and other qualifications, such as a gym instructor course that i have gone out and got. i have always been a busy person and have always been a member at different clubs, also acheived something out of them, like for example i've run in the london mini-marathon and have taken part in tennis and football tournaments.

in the interveiw the officer focused the entirer time on my ppl training. he told me to complete the training and i can go in as an apache pilot. the 6000k ive spent is for 45hrs of which i have used 13hrs. the officers are in frequent contact with me making sure my ppl training is going ok and on time. this may sound a little strange, i know, but this is what is happening with me. maybe they're short of pilots, i don't know.

the officer told me that you do have to be an officer to be a pilot. maybe this is just to me because i have the qualification for it. 2 A levels and 5 GCSE for officer training. it would be a waste if i didn't use the qualification that i've worked hard for.

the x vc10 pilot at the aerodrome, which he has spend 18 years as a pilot in the raf, now retired, that you are an officer first in the army, a pilot second. Also may i add that the officer said that they only recruit from the AAC soldiers and reme aircraft technicians(mechanical and avionic), no one else, apart from officers straight after iot from sandhurst, as there is a rumour out there that they do recruit from any other regiments, they don't. this is probably due to the fact that AAC soldier and reme aircraft technician work aside the aircraft.

with my ppl training i think they want me to go on and train, at my aerodrome, on the T67M260 firefly, which is the first aircraft that you train on for a short time.

i doesn't matter about how the system normally works, but its work for me. How is flying in the military different from flying as a civilian? sorry about coming across as a right ******* know it all, just excited about the news.

he said that i do have the other qualities to become pilot but the empashsis is on the ppl for some reason. but thats ok for me.
Theo1977
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where's Lady Venom when you need her??? I'm going to email her the link to this thread ...
Theo1977
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sam stewart)
firstly what forum should i go to or what other website is the best place to talk about apache pilot training?

Have you tried pprune? They have a special section for military pilots. [/innocence]
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sam, you cannot be selected for AAC training as a pilot without a complete set of aptitude tests above the AAC's limit, which you don't appear to have done. What interview is this? Have you done RCB? I simply can't believe any of it.

I'm a pilot, an instructor, and I've worked in recruiting. Sending an applicant off to waste £6000 on PPL training would be pointless and ridiculous, not to mention of extremely dubious morality. PPL training does not help in any way with future military training.

The AAC will not accept you unless you pass their flying grading, and then will not guarantee you a place until the final term of Sandhurst like any other regiment. Have you got flying grading booked? Even after all that, they won't decide whether or not to send you to the Apache until after you've completed some further training at DEFTS, DHFS and beyond. The ability or otherwise to fly the Apache comes down to a lot of aspects of your ability, handling and airmanship when in a helicopter, not something as arbitrary as whether or not you have a PPL!

Your post is still riddled with inconsistencies and errors. Any soldier can apply to be an AAC NCO pilot, not just engineers and guys already in the AAC. You've contradicted yourself there too by saying that only officers can be pilots; someone ought to tell the dozens of NCO pilots already in the AAC!

How is military flying different from civilian flying? In a thousand difficult to explain ways that would take all day to explain. Candidates with a lot of previous flying are alright, although they'll have some civilian habits that need beaten out of them a bit. Trainees who have 20-40 hours of PPL flying are very difficult, as they don't have the excess capacity yet to be able to "overtype" any of their civilian training. It's not natural enough yet to be muscle memory, and it's still too new. They tend to be a bit better at flying circuits and the suchlike, but they often struggle with some of the earlier, more dynamic flying.

Overall, it's of no advantage whatsoever and I cannot believe for a second that the AAC would endorse it. The AAC recruiting and training process has been discussed on here several times, and we have at least one person who's rather closely involved in it, and this bears no resemblance to anyone's experience of it that I know.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This looks like Sam has visited a recruiter, and been incorrectly told that a PPL is a good thing prior to flying training, and has taken the interviewer's tacit approval as a job offer.

Sam, if you want to be an Apache pilot, I'd suggest you let us know honestly what you've done so far. Have you been to an AFCO? Been formally interviewed? Pre-AOSB or AOSB complete? Aptitude tests? Flying grading? Do you know anything about the AAC's training, at DEFTS, DHFS and SAAvn? You can get a lot of advice here if that's what you'd like, but you appear to not really know what it is you've done.

We can unequivocally say that the AAC doesn't really struggle to get people to join during Sandhurst, and that they don't offer direct-entry Apache jobs to applicants with PPLs. I wouldn't let a PPL skip even some elements of DEFTS, let alone promise them a hotly contested AH seat.
commanda pants
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey I'm new here

I'm almost 15 and i'm in year 10 and just about started to take some of my GCSEs. i want to become a pilot in the RAF but i dont know how and need some questioned to be answered to help me find out the best way to becomee a pilot. Firstly i would like to know that; do you have to be an officer to become a pilot in the RAF? IF so what is reqiured of me? Secondly i would like to know the order of way things work like do i finish school in sixth form with my A-levels and then join the RAF or do you tgink i should go off to university for a degree and then join? At what age do i apply for a piot or let them know i'm interested? when all of this is sorted out and i'm joining the RAF what comes first do i do some kind of basic training invovling pilot, if so what does it involve? Then do i go on and train to be a pilot thenn and or do i go to become an officer first before i even done any pilot training?

I would be very appreciative if you reply and answer my questions to help me find the best possible way of becoming a pilot. Thanks to alll those people who d reply and i will probably be back again with some more questions. Thanks again.

commanda pants
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ouch,

By your logic Sam with your experience you should join the RAF and complete the Harrier-pilot training course. It's for the absolute best, but with your rate 1 turning ability I'm sure you can handle it :yep:
Theo1977
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi CP! I suggest you have a good browse around this forum, as all the answers are on here - also have a good look at the RAF careers website, because they're all on there as well. As a starting point, I'd suggest you concentrate right now on doing as well as possible in your GCSEs - you can worry about all the other hurdles (including good A-levels, and probably a degree) once you've got those under your belt. Don't spend your revision time dreaming about a career as a pilot, concentrate on getting the best grades possible!

Could I also suggest you remove your personal email address from your post? It's not really a good idea to publish it on the internet. People can always send you a private message if they want to contact you directly.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by commanda pants)
Firstly i would like to know that; do you have to be an officer to become a pilot in the RAF?
Yes you do.

IF so what is reqiured of me?
Start browsing the forum, and reading threads like this one!

do i finish school in sixth form with my A-levels and then join the RAF or do you tgink i should go off to university for a degree and then join?
You can do either, or you can go through the selection process after school to get sponsored through university. Personally I'd recommend going to university if you possibly can.

In the mean time, join the Air Cadets.

when all of this is sorted out and i'm joining the RAF what comes first do i do some kind of basic training invovling pilot, if so what does it involve? Then do i go on and train to be a pilot thenn and or do i go to become an officer first before i even done any pilot training?
You'll start with 9 months of officer training before you start any form of flying training,
carboncopy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow this has been a great read the past few days. Wzz I admire your patience with Sam Stewart!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i know tht it wos big headed of me but i wnted 2 put the point across wot thy do actually wnt.
You must have aced the essay section of the main board.

Seeing as your name is Sam Stewart, I take it a friend of mine who runs flying grading will have heard of you?
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sam, I suggest that you go back to the AFCO and listen to what they are saying VERY carefully. It seems to me that you have been listening selectively and hearing just the parts you want to hear. The facts as you have described them are very wrong, and if you are making career decisions based on the ideas you have spouted in here, then you aren't going to be an apache pilot. Take a look at what Wzz and others have said about the facts and then fit them to what you have actually been told at the AFCO, you will find they match exactly.

An AFCO officer simply would not have put the emphasis on a PPL as you have picked it up - people with a PPL going through basic flying training are a pain and have to be 're-trained'. When I tried to join the UAS at university I was actually told I couldn't because I already had a PPL and they didn't want to re-train me!

The system is the same for everyone - you need to get your head around how that system really works and not dream up your own process.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
apart from officers straight after iot from sandhurst

Oh dear...
commanda pants
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
In the mean time, join the Air Cadets.

i am in my school ccf. is that ok
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i am in my school ccf. is that ok
That's fine.

You'll probably find someone comes along and starts mouthing off about all the different cadet groups and how one is supposedly better than the other. Ignore them and make the most of every opportunity that the CCF gives you.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah the joy of CCF, 99% of people forced to join who didn't want to be there, apathy from staff, webbing from WW2, no time after the house meeting to get your boots tied up before parade and everyone falling asleep on ambush.....

...or was that just my school?
Tomm_UK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GR29KHS)
Ah the joy of CCF, 99% of people forced to join who didn't want to be there, apathy from staff, webbing from WW2, no time after the house meeting to get your boots tied up before parade and everyone falling asleep on ambush.....

Evidently so, mine was mega.
T=RC
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GR29KHS)

our ccf isn't compulsory, and an affirm on the ww2 webbing :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads