huggybear
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hi All,

I've just received my letter from RAF offering me a commission. Very pleased. If any of you want any advice on OASC or anything, let me know and I'll try to help.

I start in August !! AGGGh. Scared by it's a good scared.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by huggybear)
I start in August !! AGGGh. Scared by it's a good scared.
You should be; that's a traditional D squadron start date.

Are you on 211 IOTC? It's just been cancelled.....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jonathansharp1)
Hi guys, love the forum, lots of great advice. just left school today to revise for dreaded gcse's. i'm revising like hell as i want to be a fighter pilot or WSO. is it true that WSO's are going to be phased out due to computers taking over. my main intention is fighter pilot. and hopefully one day i might see you all there. the revision for gcse's is so labourious and boring, i live right near warton too so the eurofighter is over every 10mins , which makes me realise why i am working my ass off, giving sad old examiners something to do!

Anyway i hope i do well and i may see some of you guys in the future. Jon
No, WSOs will always have a place. With regard to the FJ world, we've picked Typhoon to replace F3 as it was the best option available to us; and despite stories, it's a single seat aircraft. It's nothing to do with computers forcing the navs out, it's just that Typhoon with one pilot does the job better than anything else available to us.

And you can't join the RAF as a fighter pilot; you join as an officer, and get offerred the chance to be a pilot. Then we stream you to either heavies, rotary or FJ; then if you pass FJ training, we role-dispose you to an appropriate type. If that happens to be Typhoon, and you pass the OCU and combat ready workup, then you're a fighter pilot...!
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
Can anyone give me an acccurate answer on what the standards are for the beep test done at OASC. (Male)

I have got a rough photocopy, but have been told its out of date, the AFCO won't tell me (they just ask me what i'm getting and then say keep going)

I don't mind this, but i would like to have a rough idea. Anyone know the standards?

Thanks
huggybear
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
You should be; that's a traditional D squadron start date.

Are you on 211 IOTC? It's just been cancelled.....
No, I'm doing the SERE course no 282 starting on 5 Aug. Know anything about the 2 field exercises? One is in Otterburn but not sure about other one - field leadership and ex Peacekeeper. I've done Sandhurst in TA and am nervous about it but RAF can't be as bad as that! What's D Squadron? Extra special hard people or something ? : ) ha ha
huggybear
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Can anyone give me an acccurate answer on what the standards are for the beep test done at OASC. (Male)

I have got a rough photocopy, but have been told its out of date, the AFCO won't tell me (they just ask me what i'm getting and then say keep going)

I don't mind this, but i would like to have a rough idea. Anyone know the standards?

Thanks
Yeah how old are you? I have them here. I'm a 31 yr old female and got 6.5 which was considered 'good'. 7 was excellent. It's a lot tougher for men but they all seemed to do very well.
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
Yeah how old are you? I have them here. I'm a 31 yr old female and got 6.5 which was considered 'good'. 7 was excellent. It's a lot tougher for men but they all seemed to do very well.
Sorry Huggybear, 24.
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
Sorry Huggybear, 24.
The exact levels at which the boundaries lye has changed very very slightly, more recently (as far as I am aware) however the boundaries for a male between 17-24 that I have info on are:- 8.7 and below = poor, between 8.8 and 9.8 = below average, between 9.8 and 10 = average, between 10 and 10.4 = good. Anything above that is classed as excellent.
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
For anyone on this forum that has failed to get a commission and wanted/wants to know more about what was written about you at RAFC Cranwell......you can. I recently was turned down and wanted to know more about my performance. I was told by my AFCO that under the Data Protection Act 2002 (Sec. 5) you can write off to the address at the top of your rejection letter and ask for all the info they hold on file about you.
Not sure about the time that they have to keep your information, but give it a go. The stuff I got back was great and includes aptitude scores, the reviews by the board officers, medical info etc.
I can't guarrantee that everything you read will be what you want to hear, but you definately learn a lot about yourself (or how you are percieved)!
f3nton
Report 15 years ago
Hi

I really would like to know, does anyone know of anyone who has asthma and works in the Royal Air Force. I have asthma (Only Acute, but still is asthma all the same) and have read everywhere including the raf careers site that my application will be rejected if i have asthma. I wish to be ground crew and my asthma has never stoped me achiving things before (I am brown belt in karate and gained Bronze the the UK squash tournament) My asthma never became a problem at these sports and i never needed an inhaler (the blue one) from the age of 12, allthough this maybe because i am on small dosage of brown (Preventer).

When i enquired at the AFCO, the officer told me that getting in the RAF is very unlikly with asthma but is a possiblitiy to gain entry on merit (i.e. Gaining best marks on the appitude test and gaining a good grade that the Multi stage fitness test and also passing the medical in all other areas.)

I have just finished my degree (2.1 in Business, Logisitics and IT) and have no other medical problems and was just wondering if anyone knows of an officer in the RAF that has or had asthma, or any illnesses that require medication.even better could anyone tell me if i would have a possiblitiy of getting in with the qualifications and achievements that i have just mentioned

Any info would be gratefully appreciated

Regards
an Siarach
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
To the best of my knowledge if youve ever had asthma you need to be free of it for at least 4 years to join any of the armed forces though what you were told about gaining entry on merit sounds promising. Id be very surprised if you could become a pilot with asthma though even if you did gain entry, the standards for pilot in terms of both intellectual capability and fitness are set very very high.
vikki
Report 15 years ago
not sure how relevant this is, but when i first met the senior careers liason officer, he got me to fill out a medical questionnaire for my hayfever to see whether it woul dbe problem for groundcrew entry. this was before i even got hold of the application forms so it might be worth trying that or seeing if you can speak to someone at cranwell directly
Alex Still
Report 15 years ago
Yo everyone
i am always reading this thred to see wats happening but can anyone tell me the height requirements i am 6ft2 and i am 15 so i need to know them exactly so as i know can anyone out there help Cheers

Tree

Be part of the forrest dont let the forrest be part of you
LouBou75
Report 15 years ago
Hi all, just returned from Cranwell. It was a hard three days but very enjoyable. All the advice from past candidates posted here was all very useful to me before i went. I can't stress enough to practice, practice , practice simple mental arithmatic, division and subtraction. In the apptitudes you will do alot of memory, maths and general multitasking and although you can't massivley increase your score through practice the more familiar you are with therse sort of tasks, the less pressure you'll feel. Play computer games and try and do memory and simple maths at the same time.
Something I found was very important while going through the whole experience is to try to remain calm at all times and control your nerves. If you make mistakes don't focus on it and move on. Its all part of it, how you cope with stress and remain focused on the next task.
Make sure you drink and take on sugar through out. There is a shop near by, treat yourself to a packet of wine gums or something and carrry water with you all the time. You need to remain hydrated!
I was so nervous before I went to Cranwell. Its good fun, the staff are lovely and you'll be with a big bunch of like minded, all nervous people. If you prepare enough you'll be fine.
I worked hard before I went and arranged practice maths and practice interviews. Also see if you can arrange visits to RAF bases relevant to your trade, all valuble brownie points in your interview.

Good luck, hope some of the above helps and if you need any more details just ask.
zug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
bit off topic but does anyone know anything about the XM-8 Battle Rifle? i recieved an email from military.com and would like to know any info? when will to be in service? its a sexy looking weapon.

http://64.4.46.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...3d040510WDVH04
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Perhaps you should listen to them...?

The level you get matters very little! If you're excellent, you get a little tick in the box. If you're not, you don't. They want to see effort; they're MORE impressed with someone who runs to 10.1 then collapses nearly dead than someone who breezes to 10.4 and just stops because they assume that's the "excellent" level!

Practice it if you like, but it's just a pure fitness test; the more explosive fitness you have the longer you can go. Go until you can't do anymore, then get determined to finish that level; run a couple of shuttles faster than you need so you have an extra second to breathe and turn around at the end. Then settle into running at the right pace again. Then when you finish the level and really can't go on, do two more shuttles! Always worked for me.

When they say to keep going over and above what you can achieve, they mean it. Get revising for your interview, the problems, and think about the group exercises. The bleep test should be the least of your worries!

If you fail it miserably after all, and ace everything else, they'll tell you to get fit before IOT and give you some advice. Ace the bleep test and fail the rest and they'll thank you for coming and that'll be it for your RAF career.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, I'm doing the SERE course no 282 starting on 5 Aug. Know anything about the 2 field exercises? One is in Otterburn but not sure about other one - field leadership and ex Peacekeeper. I've done Sandhurst in TA and am nervous about it but RAF can't be as bad as that! What's D Squadron? Extra special hard people or something ? : ) ha ha
Field Leadership Camp's at Otterburn, or a couple of other training areas. It's something like 12 days long, but SERE guys only do a couple of days. Ex PEACEKEEPER is at a couple of local areas, Barkston Heath and Fulbeck, and I think the SERE course do the lot about it. PEACEKEEPER simulates an actual deployment, with the cadets running everything. FLC's just full of lots of small, 2-4 hour "leads" and doesn't have a constant running "story" behind it.

Drop me a line for more info.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by f3nton)
When i enquired at the AFCO, the officer told me that getting in the RAF is very unlikly with asthma but is a possiblitiy to gain entry on merit (i.e. Gaining best marks on the appitude test and gaining a good grade that the Multi stage fitness test and also passing the medical in all other areas.)
Based on when I was last involved in recruiting, that's completely incorrect I'm afraid. The medical rules aren't really flexible. Four years clear and you can be a ground branch officer, and you can't be aircrew; regardless of your aptitude test scores. With an into-training target of 100 pilots this year, there are going to be plenty with real top percentile aptitude test results who are 100% fit.

2 options; accept the medical rules and wait until you're free from medication and symptoms for 4 years, or apply and accept that you're likely to be rejected.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zug)
bit off topic but does anyone know anything about the XM-8 Battle Rifle? i recieved an email from military.com and would like to know any info? when will to be in service? its a sexy looking weapon.
Why on earth do you want to know about it?

It's the rifle section of the US OICW weapon, and is meant to enter service towards the end of this decade. It's never likely to be used by British troops, even less so those in the RAF, so you're right, it's slightly off topic....
BUMPFFICHH
Report 15 years ago
A intake of 100 pilots this year, is that comparatively low or high Wzz? I wonder who the other 99 will be then? Ha, joking. Anyone at OASC on the 1st june?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.81%
No (509)
66.19%

Watched Threads