RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Low.

For the past as-long-as-I-can-remember the ITT's been 185; it's just been chopped to 100 for this financial year onwards.

Effectively it's now that much harder to get a pilot slot; nearly 100%.
BUMPFFICHH
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
So has that drop occured in other branches, i'm also applying for WSO and int. officer? It all seems insane to constantly downsize our forces but increase the workload upon them.
pringle
Report 15 years ago
okay im sorry if you've already gone over this coz i've only read 1/2 of the thread but girls cane be piolts right? but being about 5"2 am i too short? also does every officer have people under their command or is it just higher ranking officers?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pringle)
okay im sorry if you've already gone over this coz i've only read 1/2 of the thread but girls cane be piolts right? but being about 5"2 am i too short? also does every officer have people under their command or is it just higher ranking officers?
Yes, girls can be pilots as long as they're good enough. I'm afraid 5'2" is probably a little small, but it's more proportions, and the size of certain bits rather than an overall height limit. I'd need to check.

Every officer is eligible to command, although junior officer pilots don't tend to. Although they might be flying, electronic warfare, or weapons instructors; a different type of command, but command nonetheless.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BUMPFFICHH)
So has that drop occured in other branches, i'm also applying for WSO and int. officer?
No, just pilots.

(Original post by BUMPFFICHH)
It all seems insane to constantly downsize our forces but increase the workload upon them.
Doesn't it? Write to your MP. Please. I'm not looking forward to serving in this air force quite as much...
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Wzz]No, just pilots.

I recently went to my AFCO and was thinking of reapplying in the near future as a WSO (nav). I was told that numbers were dropping in not only the pilot branch but also the WSO (Nav) and Engineer branches, to 100, 20 and 75 respectively!
I was quoted those figures for next year by a careers liason officer who had just recieved those figures within the last few weeks. Who is right?
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hello forum,
i just had an informal interview at the RAF careers office and they said that i should do more outdoor activities to improve my application. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of activities would be useful and any other advice on how to improve my application. My formal interview will be in january (possible mid) so i have 7 months to achieve this. thanks for any help given.
quesoyyo
Report 15 years ago
I also dreamt of becoming a pilot when I was a little kid, a fighter one. But as I grew up i dropped all my hopes since I wear glasses and am 2 meters tall...but anyways, is there still some hope? If not a fighter pilot, then a passenger one?
Has anybody heard of the requirements of joining the Spanish Air Force or at least becoming a passenger pilot in Spain? I'm Spanish, as you might have guessed.
But now I grew up and I reconsidered the fighter one. I thought it was too dangerous, but what is the probaility of losing your life as fighter pilot? 1/1000? Even if you went to war, it would be damn hard to shoot you down.
Since you are a European pilot and fly one of the most modern airplanes, you'd have to fight against another industrialised country as Italy, France, Germany or the USA, a war which will never occurr, to get shot down. So a fighter pilot is a quite safe job, isn't it?
Anyways, enough with this. I just posted the thoughts I had in my mind. and it's 1.00 am.
Verbal
Report 15 years ago
I'm not looking forward to serving in this air force quite as much...
Oh dear, does this mean you wouldn't recommend joining the RAF. Having got over my reservations about joining i am in the process of applying now. Does the above comment mean i have made the wrong choice, aaaaah dont want to go through convincing myself its the right thing to do again!!!!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In regards to outdoor activities (Wing Commander) I quite enjoy horseriding, running, climbing, and swimming. There are so many sports out there each with different benefits for muscular and fitness development. (I assume that is what you are wanting) Basketball, football and the like are often underrated and are a good way of developing fitness. Though you didn't say your current level of fitness it is hard to say, but I would recommend hill walking, climbing, and running as good outdoor persuits. But definatly don't overlook the benefits of swimming. Going to do steady laps for an hour a day will work wonders!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In regards to outdoor activities (Wing Commander) I quite enjoy horseriding, running, climbing, and swimming. There are so many sports out there each with different benefits for muscular and fitness development. (I assume that is what you are wanting) Basketball, football and the like are often underrated and are a good way of developing fitness. Though you didn't say your current level of fitness it is hard to say, but I would recommend hill walking, climbing, and running as good outdoor persuits. But definatly don't overlook the benefits of swimming. Going to do steady laps for an hour a day will work wonders!

In response to quesoyyo, if you are planning on joining an armed force, any armed force then you have to be prepared for the fact that you may die. Not only that but you may kill other people. Some of them innocents, and if you are a pilot in a war it could be killing children. It could be anything. Close range, air to ground. Who knows? You never will know until you are there that is why you have to be prepared and make damn well sure that it is what you want to do. I would say that if you have a problem right now then it maybe isn't the right career choice for you. Maybe you need some more time to think about it. I don't know spanish regulations on commercial pilots but here in Britian it is possible to become a pilot if you wear glasses. It is best to go to an optician and get specially tested yourself for a small fee and then check your eye results against regulations for pilots.

Verbal, does it matter what other people 'recommend' you do? If you really want it, then go for it! If you're not sure then take some time out to think about things and I'm sure you will come to the right decision! I myself don't agree much with government policies on oversees territories and Iraq, but I'm not going to let that stop me. If its what you want to do, don't let anyone stop you. Good luck!
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thanks for your help subline envy, my level of fitness is quite high as i go to the gym regulary and go swimming etc..i also do sports ie football, basketball. if there is anymore information you can give me i would be very greatful
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
A lot of people who were at OASC with me got sent home because of lack of spare time activities... Basically as long as you seem like you get into a lot of things they will be impressed. Obviously the main one is sports but they do look at other things like helping at or attending youth clubs or similar, community service, if you are at uni being part of societies. (The people who didn't get through only had a couple of extra-time activities.)
vikki
Report 15 years ago
wing commander, you didn't say how old you are but have you tried something like DofE - it will get you out and about as well as new skills, teamwork etc etc - lots of buzzwords for the interview! i think the age limit for it is 25.
_pb_boi
Report 15 years ago
I'm a bit worried about my extra-curricular activities atm!

I play football, run and go to the gym. I also play hockey for the school. That would be about the limit of my outdoor activities, though. Indoors, I play table tennis. I also have an interest in computing that goes beyond regular use I guess, in that I program and have a very real interest in the subject; a career in IT will be my fallback should I fail RAF.
I have a part-time job that I've held for around 6 months so far, too. In addition, I'm part of a gaming club at the local university, though I'm L6 year in school but it's open to all.

None of these were taken up because I thought they'd be of use to me for RAF selection; but now that I'll be handing in my AS level grades for sponsorship in just a few months, it has crossed my mind.

Is there anything else you'd recommend? I've long thought about community work for my own edification - with the initial interview and hopefully selection approaching, I'm hoping it would act as evidence of my character and suitability for the RAF. I'm not honestly sure as to how to go about entering this field, however.

Edit: Some more questions.

I presume it's too late to arrange work experience now; is it at all possible to book an appointment with the AFCO, so that I can talk to serving RAF personnel for research? I understand that it makes sense to research as much as possible; while the internet is useful for this, talking to serving RAF personnel would really be helpful. What kind of questions would they deem appropriate? Generally, I think I'd be asking about the different streams, about living within the RAF, etc. If it's possible - will they begrudge spending the time with me? I don't think they would, because they were cool on the phone with me, but I just want to make sure

Huggybear posted some very useful information about the RAF interview; huggybear - and anyone else - how did you best research the RAF aircraft, stations, etc.? Again, the internet is useful here, but I find there is only so much I can find on it. Regarding the current affairs component - I think I'm pretty good with this, but I know there's more I can learn; I think broadsheet newspapers are the way to go with this?

Sorry for the post length!

Thanks peeps,

andy.
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry, my age is 22, ill be 23 if i get through into OASC, thanks for all the input, i am improving my outdoor activities with the help of friends etc.., sports isn't really a problem as i do the ones mentioned, two styles of martial arts, and im going hill and mountain climbing during the summer period (about 4 months), and rock climbing. Anymore suggestions will be taken greatly. thanks for all your help
TNTU
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Low.

For the past as-long-as-I-can-remember the ITT's been 185; it's just been chopped to 100 for this financial year onwards.

Effectively it's now that much harder to get a pilot slot; nearly 100%.
Hi Wzz,

When does the financial year end? I have a date for OASC very soon and i presume this is going to affect my chances. Does this mean that they will not recruit any more pilots until the next financial year and if so, what happens to those who already have dates. Also, i have applied for the bursary and if successful i will join a UAS, would i still fall under this years intake of pilots?
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
When i went to cranwell, someone got turned away for not doing enough outside of the workplace. He was pi**ed off because he played semi-professional rugby, which meant he was training most nights of the week and playing at the weekend and did not have any more time for anything else.
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry to hear about your mate. does anyone know exactly how much activities is needed for their satisfaction, or maybe not the amount but what type. Because we keep hearing people doing this amount and not getting in and others doing less or more and getting in. Do they just pick and choose who ever they like. If so whats the point trying to do these things when your chances are that if they dont like you then you wont get in? However, i might be well off so ignore this if it rubbish and i apologise.
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wing Commander)
sorry to hear about your mate. does anyone know exactly how much activities is needed for their satisfaction, or maybe not the amount but what type. Because we keep hearing people doing this amount and not getting in and others doing less or more and getting in. Do they just pick and choose who ever they like. If so whats the point trying to do these things when your chances are that if they dont like you then you wont get in? However, i might be well off so ignore this if it rubbish and i apologise.
Maybe it depends on what trade you are applying for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (96)
18.82%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.71%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise