Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    would definatly go with the truth this is the MoD we are talking about. To get into some operation brances the check your history for 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Im not at all sure about english results as Im scottish. I have never been to an RAF station although I have been to a US AF station and a Saudi Air Force Base. Yeah go figure. So I will be down in Boulmer at some point over the next month. May try and see about that June 22nd at OASC and see if it applies to me. My advice on that IOT thing would be to buy the magazine and remember that it is at the end of the day a news article and what do we remember about news? Believe nothing you hear and less of what you read. Call AFCO and find out first hand.
    When are you going to Boulmer? It's also my nearest base, i've been there once and am going back again soon to learn more about the Supply side of things - even though it's civilian supply up there!

I've got OASC on June 22nd - but I had my AFCO interview in December!!! Yes, December! Got an original date to go in April but that got cancelled.

I have also heard some stuff about IOT's being cancelled, i'm starting to get really worried about my chances of getting in now!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I wouldn't worry if you are that comitted just make sure you study study study. I will be going to boulmer sometime next month hopefully. Maybe see you there? I will post details when I know them. It wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled some IOTs. I heard they are still looking for FCs though so I think I may be ok. Not sure about OASC but it would be good to know that there is someone going down! I did AFCO yesterday and I was told I would be at OASC in the next 1-2 months.

ReputationRep:
    I heard they've cancelled an IOT course as well. I'm on the 8 week SERE course starting this Aug - hope they wont cancel that.

Anyone else going on 5 Aug?

ReputationRep:
    I thought about that one but at AFCO they ask if you are applying to anything else. Saying you are applying to uni also may give them the impression that you are not 100% comitted to the RAF.
    I was recommended that by an RAF recruitment officer, though - if anyone knows...

And think about it - far from showing your not committed, it shows that your planning for the future - personally, if I was the interviewing officer, I'd be far more impressed with a candidate that budgeted for failure - given the high failure rate - than with someone who, when asked their alternative, said "uh... I don't have one". That's arrogance, also....

Regarding direct entry; to go that route, I need to give up my attempt at gaining sponsorship, and risk failing and having to pay through university. While not a problem, the fees are going to be raising if I don't enter university the year I finish school - so, straight after Upper Sixth. Will I have found out whether I've failed direct entry or passed by then? Are all the tests in my Upper Sixth year? I think they are but would *really* appreciate some advice here.

One other thing - when do I apply? I'm just coming to the end of my AS year now, so I have next year and that's me - do I still have time to apply?

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm sorry but we seem to disagree on that point. And it is in fact not that I am arrogant and not planning, I do have a back up plan if I fail as officer. To either re-apply or go in as an airman. To me that sounds better than I will go to uni. If you were going to join UAS though then yes, that would be good. But simply buggering off to uni and giving no more thought to the RAF means that you aren't comitted enough. I also do intend to do an open degree through the RAF when I am ready.

ReputationRep:
    But simply buggering off to uni and giving no more thought to the RAF means that you aren't comitted enough.
    That's making an assumption you had no right to make - and got wrong anyway. Far from "buggering off... and giving no more thought to the RAF", I'd intend to go through university and then reapply... so please, at least get the facts right, or refrain altogether from making broad assumptions.

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by _pb_boi)
    And think about it - far from showing your not committed, it shows that your planning for the future - personally, if I was the interviewing officer, I'd be far more impressed with a candidate that budgeted for failure - given the high failure rate - than with someone who, when asked their alternative, said "uh... I don't have one". That's arrogance
    Im sorry but assuming that I am arrogant for telling my AFCO that I have only applied to the RAF is also an assumption on your part as well as an opinion. Also if you are planning on quoting me, please use the entireity:

*If you were going to join UAS though then yes, that would be good. But simply buggering off to uni and giving no more thought to the RAF means that you aren't comitted enough. *

Giving no more thought... Clearly you are so why would that affect you? It was actually advice to see about UAS's I aimed to tell you not to come across like you are using the RAF as a fallback. Please do not misquote me, insult me, or make assumptions about me.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but assuming that I am arrogant for telling my AFCO that I have only applied to the RAF is also an assumption on your part as well as an opinion. Also if you are planning on quoting me, please use the entireity:

*If you were going to join UAS though then yes, that would be good. But simply buggering off to uni and giving no more thought to the RAF means that you aren't comitted enough. *

Giving no more thought... Clearly you are so why would that affect you? It was actually advice to see about UAS's I aimed to tell you not to come across like you are using the RAF as a fallback. Please do not misquote me, insult me, or make assumptions about me.
    You'll note I quoted you in entirety.

Im sorry but assuming that I am arrogant for telling my AFCO that I have only applied to the RAF is also an assumption on your part
    No - I didn't assume anything about you. I stated that would be my general opinion, were I an interviewing officer, of recruits in my position that failed to state a backup plan. To use your own words: "so why would that affect you?" - as you clearly do have a backup plan.

Please do not misquote me, insult me, or make assumptions about me.
    I concede the quote was unrepresentative, but it did pertain to the bit that offended; I have absolutely no intentions of "buggering off" to university whatsoever, and I did wonder where you could have gained that impression, such that you felt the need to state it in those terms, here.

Anyways - reply and say whatevers needed, but then can we forget about it? ^_^

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    lets just say that we misinterperated each other and I did not mean for you to think that at all. I hardly want to start bickering with potential personnel and canidates. Sorry if I offended at all, wasn't my intention. I started a new RAF thread if anyone may find that helpful as this one is fairly large and annoying (in my opinion) to gather info from.

ReputationRep:
    sublime_envy - I appreciate your maturity a misinterpretation it was. Apologies!

I agree there's no point us argueing when we're both aiming for broadly the same thing And yeah - this thread is hooooooge, hard to find stuff on

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    will post an answer to you if I can on the other thread. Glad we got that sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    wow, u turn your back for a day and all hell breaks lose!! glad to see you guys kissed and made up!
    it seems like taking the converstion back a while but andy, yes 2 e's are the minimum but they look at you as a whole person not just at your a-level grades, activities etc - its the whole package so if you get, i don't know, say 3 c's but you did loads of sport, cadets etc etc then that's cool. what they don't want is one-dimensional people - you know the people that get straight a's because all they did was study 24/7 for 2 years.
    as for the uni thing, i would talk the the afco again and get their advice thens it down with a big piece of paper - split it into 4 parts: advantages/disadvantages and uni/not uni then write down everything you think/feel about it. it will help you organise your thoughts and you never know, if there are loads of disadvantages with going to uni then you will see that. don't worry about applying for both- i have other job applications ongoing, not because i'm not committed but they only take up to 13 int officers a year and one of them may not be me! besides, you can always argue that goign to uni will help you do your job better later on etc.
    hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hate to put dampner on it for anyone but fact is fact. 10 out of 19 on my OASC did not get through and many were very strong, confident and highly motivated people, who to me showed massive potential for officers. Not sure what they want from us but I was told potential was what they wanted, seems only 100% perfection is what they are looking for.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouBou75)
    Hate to put dampner on it for anyone but fact is fact. 10 out of 19 on my OASC did not get through and many were very strong, confident and highly motivated people, who to me showed massive potential for officers. Not sure what they want from us but I was told potential was what they wanted, seems only 100% perfection is what they are looking for.

Good luck

Hi there,

i assume you got through then, can you please tell me what you did to prepare for OASC. i mean what activities did you do in your spare time?, what did you think did that impressed them enough to let you through, because if 100% is what they are looking for i would like to know what a '100%' candidate is.

Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    I thought about that one but at AFCO they ask if you are applying to anything else. Saying you are applying to uni also may give them the impression that you are not 100% comitted to the RAF.
    No, it'll give the impression that you're sensible.

One of the standard interview questions is "what are your intentions if you are unsuccessful in this application?"

Be honest. I told them I'd take their advice with regard to reapplication, and carry on to university without their sponsorship if need be.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ryan86)
    Just lie - say your only applying to the RAF, then again the RAF can find out anything about anyone. So, you might wanna tell the truth lol.
    Your last sentence is correct.

Certainly as an officer integrity and honesty are two words you should consider using a lot in your interview.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    I have also heard some stuff about IOT's being cancelled, i'm starting to get really worried about my chances of getting in now!
    One course has been postponed, but why depends on who you listen to...! It could be a new syllabus, a manning decision, or something else. I'll let you know off a public forum what it is.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vikki)
    what they don't want is one-dimensional people - you know the people that get straight a's because all they did was study 24/7 for 2 years.
    But what they do want are smart, intelligent people who are able to apply themselves. Getting 4 A A-levels doesn't necessarily mean you had to study 24/7; and whether or not you did will come out when they ask what else you did at school.

(Original post by vikki)
    as for the uni thing, i would talk the the afco again and get their advice
    Not really showing the degree of intiative we want....? Your interviewer doesn't want to know that you asked what the AFCO wanted in order to strengthen your application. It doesn't work like that; it's like phoning them and asking what outdoor activities the RAF will like...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hate to put dampner on it for anyone but fact is fact. 10 out of 19 on my OASC did not get through and many were very strong, confident and highly motivated people, who to me showed massive potential for officers.
    Are you an OASC boarding officer? If not, then the impression candidates give on selection is not necessarily a reflection on their performance or ability. Also, your opinion of what makes a good officer isn't necessarily worth much at this stage; have you seen them in any situation other than the bar or the OASC hangar? Ever seen them under real pressure? Ever seen them work in a close-knit team? Seen them in an interview? Know how good they fly?

Not sure what they want from us but I was told potential was what they wanted, seems only 100% perfection is what they are looking for.
    Potential is still the main thing; but they'll reject you if you haven't tried to at least realise some of it!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.