RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ryan86)
Not aircrew mate, just going to join as a airman, get a trade and work myself up that way.
That's not really possible nowadays. You can apply for a commission once you're an airman, but it's not as simple as filling out a form and waiting for your slot at OASC. You don't necessarily get the chance to; maybe never if your boss doesn't think you're a damn good bet. You can work up to the top of the NCO rank structure, but you don't then pass the cusp and become a Pilot Officer.

If nothing else, the skill set and day to day job of a tradesman versus that of an engineering officer are completely different.
run a mile
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
First time on the forum, was just after some advice. Hope someone can help!!!

I was turned down from OASC last year with (as agreed by the officer in charge of my AFCO) very positive feedback. The branch I applied for was pilot. There was never a decision to be made regarding whether I would reapply and I am due to return to Cranwell in a couple of months time.

I was wondering what extent a previous application would influence the final yes or no decision against an individual?

Would a younger, “first time” candidate be turned down in the knowledge they could re-apply allowing a 23 year old, “second time” candidate to be accepted?

regards
Ryan86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by run a mile)
First time on the forum, was just after some advice. Hope someone can help!!!

I was turned down from OASC last year with (as agreed by the officer in charge of my AFCO) very positive feedback. The branch I applied for was pilot. There was never a decision to be made regarding whether I would reapply and I am due to return to Cranwell in a couple of months time.

I was wondering what extent a previous application would influence the final yes or no decision against an individual?

Would a younger, “first time” candidate be turned down in the knowledge they could re-apply allowing a 23 year old, “second time” candidate to be accepted?

regards

I'd say it has no effect, however, it does show you are commited and determined.
BUMPFFICHH
Report 15 years ago
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i'm at OASC on Tuesday, i had a brief chat with my AFCO Flight Lieutenant on Friday. Turns out due to the drop in intake requirements there are now only 4 places left for Aircrew in this financial year and he gave me no assurances that any of those places are for pilot. Also operational support positions are now 88% full so those going for Intelligence branch may be similarily screwed. Now there are so few places left they have raised the bar considerably, expect to have to be twice as good as those who managed to get in earlier. Given that these places seemed to have gone fast, i.e. from April to now i can't really see there being any Aircrew positions left in another few weeks. I am really quite cross about the whole thing i applied last October and have been sitting around for eight months just to get to this point and now to be told that there are hardly any jobs left (in the braches i was aiming for) has made me grit my teeth a bit. Anyway guess i'll give it my best shot over the three days, i certainly won't be playing nice with the competition at any rate. Plan B is the Marines and helicopter pilot or intelligence, Plan C might just have to be the Army. Eeek. Cheers.
flashman
Report 15 years ago
By any chance might this god awful annual intake situation have changed by around 2006/7? are these changes a fairly short term policy or are they planning to pretty much permanantly downsize the armed services?
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by flashman)
By any chance might this god awful annual intake situation have changed by around 2006/7? are these changes a fairly short term policy or are they planning to pretty much permanantly downsize the armed services?
Would have thought permanent downsizing is their intention. Wzz will undoubtedy be able to shed more light on the issue. As far as I'm aware, YES, indefinately! It seems crazy, and I share the same frustration as every other person on this forum, but there is only so much you can do!
BUMPFFICHH
Report 15 years ago
Thats the question isn't it? In April there was a report in the Telegraph about prosposed MOD cuts. The affect all the services but the RAF gets the worst of it. Apparentley nothing is going to mentioned until after the next election (big suprise). Of the options under review is the shutting down of RAF Benson, Coltishall and Wittering. Also the Harrier, Jaguar and Puma fleets may all go. Add on to this the progressive downsizing of numbers of Eurofighters that are being ordered, and the fact that the JSF wont be around till at least 2015. (also they are thinking of scrapping two of the three aircraft carriers just in case you wanted to go the navy route) So the future isn't looking too rosy for a Pilot career.
I suppose it is understandable in a way, the nature of what is perceived to be our future defence needs is changing, they are getting rid of our heavy capital and focusing on more flexible smaller units, perhaps we can expect a big increase in special forces and intelligence posts, but i doubt it. Its been the policy of successive governments to run down our armed forces, they were doing the same thing in the 70s and 80s, so much so that when the Falklands happened, we could barely field a servicable fleet, AND we almost lost. We get second rate gear and a second rate procurement schedule, and we are sending out the best servicesmen in the world to fight for obscure causes and unreservedly expect them succeed despite this lack of investment.
Today with the bad press that the Armed forces has been getting through opportunistic ****ers like piers morgan, and through bad associations with this Iraq debacle and American foreign policy, the forces is an easy target for any government to claw some money back.
But don't take any notice of me, im just pissed because i am going to the biggest job interview of my life next week and there might not actually be any jobs to get. I feels like i've been shot in the back. I'm 23 now, I can't afford to wait to reapply for next year, i will have exceeded the age cut off date for pilot entry, also i will then be 24 and have waited ANOTHER year for a job which may not come to fruition.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BUMPFFICHH)
Thats the question isn't it? In April there was a report in the Telegraph about prosposed MOD cuts.
Will happily reply in more detail soon when less busy; but ignore what you've read in the Telegraph. It was reporting things people have looked into as fact. The feasibility of binning Harrier was looked at, but it won't happen.

It's still the best job in the world. The ITT's dropped from 185 to 100, but someone has to fly Typhoon and JSF...
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know when the RAF financial year ends ? Quiet concerned about job vacancies being at a minimum when I go to OASC at the end of June.
flashman
Report 15 years ago
slightly irrelavant but surely when the tornado, harrier, etc are taken out of service there will be a huge amount of pilots who fly them with years left of their commision, what will happen to them? will they be trained and deployed on the new aircraft?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by flashman)
will they be trained and deployed on the new aircraft?
The short answer is yes. Expect the first Typhoon pilots to be guys with one tour complete on Jags, mostly...
ReJ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know its been brought up loads before... but whats the low down on the eye sight requirements?

I wear contact lenses everyday unfortunately, but my trouble lies with distance and not objects close to me. My vision is spot on with lenses in.

I know I have the determination and motivation for the RAF, thats not my issue at all. I'm willing to work my ass off to get up to the fitness levels needed and beyond, but will my eyesight stop me before I even get started?

Thanks in advance.
Howler
Report 15 years ago
ReJ i have been in the air cadets for 3 years now and i think that it all depends on what job you actually go for. Because the RAF offers many different careers.
If my reply has helped i am glad to have been of any service
dizizdaflizz
Report 15 years ago
will the raf sponsor me to do accountancy at university before becoming an administrative officer?
Inlalaland
Report 15 years ago
Having just sat and talked to my AFCO person, it seems the position on recriutment is rather dim. He said that the begining of the year (april 04) he was given a quota to recruit and 3 weeks into april he'd fileld it and he told me this just as a line of about 9 men walked past all hoping to get jobs in the RAF. He said that they didn't know and it was all very disheartning. I'm ok because I'm only applying for the Scholarship, but it is very disillusioning for others.
Dosen't look like they sponsor Accounting in the admin branches but they do sponsor Logistics if you go to your local AFCO they will tell you more.
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Inlalaland)
Having just sat and talked to my AFCO person, it seems the position on recriutment is rather dim. He said that the begining of the year (april 04) he was given a quota to recruit and 3 weeks into april he'd fileld it
A friend of mine wanting to become an Air Load Master was recently informed by the AFCO in Bristol that they have stopped recruiting aircrew, apparently so for some months to come. Best to contact your nearest AFCO and see for yourself though.

I'm ok because I'm only applying for the Scholarship
What scholarship did you apply for? I am hoping there is still time to apply for a university pilot scholarship. Does anybody know if the deadline for the applications has passed? Also if you did apply for a pilot scholarship(or if anybody reading this has) what did you have to do? What are the selection stages like? :confused:
I'm aware that most of the RAF scholarships are valid for 2 years. In this case if i have missed the application deadline could i apply for the scholarship during the first year of uni for when i start the second?
Rhys
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Having just sat and talked to my AFCO person, it seems the position on recriutment is rather dim. He said that the begining of the year (april 04) he was given a quota to recruit and 3 weeks into april he'd fileld it and he told me this just as a line of about 9 men walked past all hoping to get jobs in the RAF. He said that they didn't know and it was all very disheartning. I'm ok because I'm only applying for the Scholarship, but it is very disillusioning for others.
Dosen't look like they sponsor Accounting in the admin branches but they do sponsor Logistics if you go to your local AFCO they will tell you more.
Are you talking about Officer positions? and if so Ground Branches or Aircrew ?
ReJ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey again, sorry should have made myself clearer on the eyesight post... I want to be a pilot. If they do not allow contacts to be worn, will they accept laser corrected eyes?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ReJ)
Hey again, sorry should have made myself clearer on the eyesight post... I want to be a pilot. If they do not allow contacts to be worn, will they accept laser corrected eyes?
In a word, No.
Sunchild
Report 15 years ago
It's been brought up a million times before, but it's hard to find stuff in this thread now.

They don't accept pilots with corrected vision as they don't know the long term effects, changes at altitude and so forth. Also I think they have found that it obstructs your night vision. Also, they have 1000 pilot applicants a year, so they have their pick really between a few amazing contenders and a few amazing contenders with what could be fatal flaws.

Is it fair to say that during OASC etc. they are looking at as many reasons to bin you as to keep you on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.84%
Impatient (217)
12.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise