Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As a very wise man said,

"The worst they can say is no."

Failing that, you could take the advice of my dad,

"I'll grab the cat, you hide in the airing cupboard."

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, been reading these threads for a couple of months now. Very interesting read (Beats working anyhow). Nothing to add right now just thought as I finally got round to registering I say hi, so HI. :cool: #

Sunchild: Profound, but you've lost me. Hiding in the airing copboard is all good fun, but what's the cat got to do with it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weena_no9)
    Hey all, been reading these threads for a couple of months now. Very interesting read (Beats working anyhow). Nothing to add right now just thought as I finally got round to registering I say hi, so HI. :cool: #

Sunchild: Profound, but you've lost me. Hiding in the airing copboard is all good fun, but what's the cat got to do with it? :confused:

Hellooooo! Yes I didn't really get the cat bit either, i'm just hoping they don't say no so I can avoid the airing cupboard altogether.

So what's your deal? Are you applying ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, will be. Bit late in getting my **** (Can I say that?) together, spent a long time reasurching before I was sure it's was what I wanted to do. I'm going to AFCO for the first time at the end of the month.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, will be. Bit late in getting my **** (Can I say that?) together, spent a long time reasurching before I was sure it's was what I wanted to do. I'm going to AFCO for the first time at the end of the month.
    What branches are you going for? I'm sure you can't be any older than me!!

ReputationRep:
    Pilot (Obviously, just like every one else), but more realisticly Engineering Officer. And I'm 22 and when I graduate I'll be less than 2 months from my 24th Birthday. Might all be a bit too late for pilot/I'm just too ****. Fingures crossed.

Idealy I'd like to be a SAR pilot on Merlins (although Merlins don't fly SAR, I'd like to think they will).

ReputationRep:
    Pilot (Obviously, just like every one else), but more realisticly Engineering Officer. And I'm 22 and when I graduate I'll be less than 2 months from my 24th Birthday. Might all be a bit too late for pilot/I'm just too ****. Fingures crossed.

Idealy I'd like to be a SAR pilot on Merlins (although Merlins don't fly SAR, I'd like to think they will).
    Yeah well i'm 23 next month, but luckily not going for Pilot. I guess you may be too old then, but hey, they are always after EngO's. You can fix those Merlin's instead.

ReputationRep:
    Felt I should add myself to the list, been reading as much of this as I can over the past few days.

anyway ive been looking at Administrative officer and decided upon visiting the afco today. Feeling that having my degree in hand I was in a not bad position to cover qualifications but to my suprise they where more concerned about scottish standard grades and highers, They where happy with my english but with my maths being one level below thier requirement they made me feel as if I should walk out the door. Now since i'd done these standard grades back in 1996 (as im 24 now) ive had time and chance to do other things, like get NC modules in maths, hnc in computing and BA in info management, surely you would think they would count for something.
    I did mention this with a reply being as its like a top up, it would have to be looked into, but overall I felt as if they had judged me already on 7 year old results.

anyways, as a first post, i'll apologise for a bit of a rant, but today didnt go as well as I had hoped

ReputationRep:
    32 pages of very usefull information, I have a few questions I would like some answers to:

These questions are quite varied, so watch out!

• what is the role of an 'officer' considering you're an officer first, and a pilot second?
    • what does OASC actually stand for?
    • how vigourous is the medical at the OASC and after if you're accepted? since I suffer from hayfever, and wonder if this completely rules me out?
    • some of the successful OASC applicants, what kind of outdoor activities do you persue? I teach karate to 5-7 year olds weekly, train twice a week, have a part time job, go to the gym regularly to swim, run etc. I have run cross country for my county, compete nationally at karate as part of a 3 man team.
    • what other branches are there other than pilot? an engineer just isn't me.

any input/comments are gratefully received.

and guys, there's 3 types of the word 'there'.
    over there ---->
    that's their cat, so no you can't cook it.
    they're doing what in the garden??!!??

end rant, it bugs me.

Gareth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Felt I should add myself to the list, been reading as much of this as I can over the past few days.

anyway ive been looking at Administrative officer and decided upon visiting the afco today. Feeling that having my degree in hand I was in a not bad position to cover qualifications but to my suprise they where more concerned about scottish standard grades and highers, They where happy with my english but with my maths being one level below thier requirement they made me feel as if I should walk out the door. Now since i'd done these standard grades back in 1996 (as im 24 now) ive had time and chance to do other things, like get NC modules in maths, hnc in computing and BA in info management, surely you would think they would count for something.
    I did mention this with a reply being as its like a top up, it would have to be looked into, but overall I felt as if they had judged me already on 7 year old results.

anyways, as a first post, i'll apologise for a bit of a rant, but today didnt go as well as I had hoped
    Unfortunatley the RAF can be as picky as they want when it comes to recruiting Officers, especially more recently. I would have thought that you would be allowed to apply mind, did they say what would happen next ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazdaman)
    32 pages of very usefull information, I have a few questions I would like some answers to:

These questions are quite varied, so watch out!

• what is the role of an 'officer' considering you're an officer first, and a pilot second?
    • what does OASC actually stand for?
    • how vigourous is the medical at the OASC and after if you're accepted? since I suffer from hayfever, and wonder if this completely rules me out?
    • some of the successful OASC applicants, what kind of outdoor activities do you persue? I teach karate to 5-7 year olds weekly, train twice a week, have a part time job, go to the gym regularly to swim, run etc. I have run cross country for my county, compete nationally at karate as part of a 3 man team.
    • what other branches are there other than pilot? an engineer just isn't me.

OASC: Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre. Held at RAF Cranwell, lasts 4 days, inc interview, bleep test, aptitude tests, group stuff, medical.

Medical is very thorough I believe, even more so for Pilots/Navs and other Aircrew. I think Hayfever rules you out of Flying, not sure if it is ok for ground branches - ask your AFCO

I'm off to OASC soon. I run 6 times a week, and am doing the Great North Run later this year, I go kickboxing, and work. I've played tennis for my Area and done quite a bit of fundraising stuff. Also been travelling on my own for a year.

Other branches: look at www.rafcareers.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Unfortunatley the RAF can be as picky as they want when it comes to recruiting Officers, especially more recently. I would have thought that you would be allowed to apply mind, did they say what would happen next ?
    They have recomended that I bring along my qualifications and they will have a look at them. Otherwise they have left the decision with my if I want to apply at the moment and gave me the application to take with me. I guess it isnt as bad as first seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    They have recomended that I bring along my qualifications and they will have a look at them. Otherwise they have left the decision with my if I want to apply at the moment and gave me the application to take with me. I guess it isnt as bad as first seems.
    There you go, you are happier already! Fill in the form, take in you certficates and see what happens, as someone recently said, the worst they can say is no!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all...

I heard last week that OASC have re-jigged the order of play. ie. the Individual Problem Solving Exercise has been removed, and you are questioned on the group planning exercise instead. (albeit on you own)

If this is the case, whats the order of play now?

I know you are there for 4 days. Does this include the day you have to be there, or are they 4 "full days"?

ie. I go Tuesday to arrive for 4:00pm. Will it end Saturday or Friday night ?

Confused of Dumbtown

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know you always get questioned on the group exercise as well as the individual, but i go on the 22nd so i'll let you know.
    i also go on tuesday. from what i've heard they try to get you away on friday night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilko1)
    Hi all...

I heard last week that OASC have re-jigged the order of play. ie. the Individual Problem Solving Exercise has been removed, and you are questioned on the group planning exercise instead. (albeit on you own)

I know you are there for 4 days. Does this include the day you have to be there, or are they 4 "full days"?

Confused of Dumbtown
    Just from looking at my travel warrant I say it ends on the Friday! My reading of it was that you arrive on Tues, Wed is Aptitude Tests, Medical and some interviews, Thurs will be rest of ints, Bleep test and 2 of the group excercises, then Fri is last 2 group excercises in the morning. You can then stay for lunch and get away in the afternoon.

I'M SCARED!!!!! Can anyone give me an easy way to do S/D/T Calcs in my head??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Just from looking at my travel warrant I say it ends on the Friday! My reading of it was that you arrive on Tues, Wed is Aptitude Tests, Medical and some interviews, Thurs will be rest of ints, Bleep test and 2 of the group excercises, then Fri is last 2 group excercises in the morning. You can then stay for lunch and get away in the afternoon.

I'M SCARED!!!!! Can anyone give me an easy way to do S/D/T Calcs in my head??
    The best way i've found Icklecathy is to know the sum into its lowest form.

eg.

If you are riding a bike at 15 mph, work out how long it takes you to do 1 mile (4 mins ::: 60min / 15 mph = 4min per mile)

Then if you have to ride 20 miles at some point.... 4 x 20 = 80 mins (1hr 20m)

From what i've been told, there are no decimals or fractions involved in the S/D/T calcs, but don't anticipate that.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi all...

Confused of Dumbtown
    I went in April and there was no individual planning Ex, just the group planning one - basically we got 30 mins to write our own notes on the problem, then we had another 30mins to discuss within a group and get 1 main solution, then the boarding officers questioned us as a group on our plan. After that we got sent out and called in one at a time. We each got told something that would cause our group solution to not work so had to come up with another solution quickly and explain it to the boarding officer. They threw in a few questions about the original plan aswell.

Order is still pretty much the same:

DAY 1 - Arrive, Initial Brief
    DAY 2 - AM - Aptitude, PM - Medical, some people have Interviews
    DAY 3 - AM - Finish medical, Remaining interviews, Debriefs (for those people being sent home), PM - Group Discussions, Group Planning Exercise
    DAY 4 - AM - Leadership Exercises
    You get to leave at about 12/1pm normally just after lunch on day 4

ReputationRep:
    Ickle Cathy, best thing is just loads of practice. As it's in the aptitude tests you have time limits so you just have to try your best on some questions. Some of the harder ones I just had to guess as it's multiple choice you can sometimes take a good chance of guessing.

ReputationRep:
    The best way i've found Icklecathy is to know the sum into its lowest form.

eg.

If you are riding a bike at 15 mph, work out how long it takes you to do 1 mile (4 mins ::: 60min / 15 mph = 4min per mile)

Then if you have to ride 20 miles at some point.... 4 x 20 = 80 mins (1hr 20m)

From what i've been told, there are no decimals or fractions involved in the S/D/T calcs, but don't anticipate that.

Good luck
    Yeah I can do the ones where it divides as whole number, but ive got some examples (although admittedly I can't remember where from so they may be more complex than I need) where I just can't do it without a calculator:

EG: Speed = 160mph, How long to travel 90miles ?

I will keep practicing the easy ones and hope nothing too tricky comes up!!

Suzi Q : How did you get on at OASC ???

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.