RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Bilko1
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Yeah I can do the ones where it divides as whole number, but ive got some examples (although admittedly I can't remember where from so they may be more complex than I need) where I just can't do it without a calculator:

EG: Speed = 160mph, How long to travel 90miles ?

I will keep practicing the easy ones and hope nothing too tricky comes up!!

Suzi Q : How did you get on at OASC ???
Ah.

See what you mean. You can apply the same logic, but it gives you a part of a whole number. You already know what to do - you said it yourself.
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
Just give it your best and try to answer as many questions as possible. In some bits of the aptitude its hard to finish all the questions but I think thats done on purpose to see how you cope when you get frustrated.

I got through all of OASC and have been shortlisted until they review my case in August. I'm going for scholarship and they said most people who get through get short-listed first so they can be fair to all candidates through the year by not offering places until the end of the year. So only another few more months waiting until I know!!!

Ickle Cathy, you've probably said many times before but what are you appling for?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Suzi Q)
Ickle Cathy, you've probably said many times before but what are you appling for?
Supply first choice, Admin second
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
I've just come back from holiday to find I'm being called to OASC on 7th September... Why September? I had my interview in March. They're spending a bit too long dilly-dallying if you ask me.

Many recruiters behave like this these days, they forget that they're dealing with people with lives, jobs, ambitions. I have to tread water in my job until possibly October, and only then will I know whether it was worth waiting, or whether I've just wasted 3-4 months of job-hunting.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by js_atco)
I've just come back from holiday to find I'm being called to OASC on 7th September... Why September? I had my interview in March. They're spending a bit too long dilly-dallying if you ask me.

Many recruiters behave like this these days, they forget that they're dealing with people with lives, jobs, ambitions. I have to tread water in my job until possibly October, and only then will I know whether it was worth waiting, or whether I've just wasted 3-4 months of job-hunting.
I had my AFCO interview in December, was supposed to go to OASC on April 27th, they cancelled that and now i'm going on June 22nd.

That's 7 months of waiting in a part time job I can't stand. And having to deal with the disappointment of 1 cancellation already.

It's a pain, and yes if we aren't successful you could say you've wasted x months, and yes they are dealing with peoples lives and it's not fair. BUT, applying to the Armed Forces was never going to be a quick process. What with all the cutbacks going on and IOT's being cancelled in August (not sure about October), it doens't seem like a good time to be applying.

I have heard that the cutbacks are Pilot driven ie: there is no room to train any more for a while, but other support branches should be ok.

What are you applying for?
simon.h109
Report 15 years ago
Hi, I am considering coming into RAF as training officer, I know of the entry requirements and am about to work damn hard on my fitness, but at 32 feel that I may be left to go thru IOT with, and I mean with the greatest respect, a group of sprogs who will simply love havin an old man on board to take the p#*s out of! Any other "mature" people out there who have gone thru IOT with similar experiences who can offer some insight?

Si
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by simon.h109)
Hi, I am considering coming into RAF as training officer, I know of the entry requirements and am about to work damn hard on my fitness, but at 32 feel that I may be left to go thru IOT with, and I mean with the greatest respect, a group of sprogs who will simply love havin an old man on board to take the p#*s out of! Any other "mature" people out there who have gone thru IOT with similar experiences who can offer some insight?

Si
Hi Simon,

I think that most people going thorugh IOT are pretty mature whatever their age, and would prob only have respect for an older person's life experience etc etc. I'm only 23 and I sometimes feel quite old on here 'cos most of the people applying are doing A-levels so they are at least 5yrs younger!

I would also think that when it came to the tough parts of IOT everyone would just be doing thier best to get through and help each other rather than play the fool.
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
I had my AFCO interview in December, was supposed to go to OASC on April 27th, they cancelled that and now i'm going on June 22nd.

That's 7 months of waiting in a part time job I can't stand. And having to deal with the disappointment of 1 cancellation already.

It's a pain, and yes if we aren't successful you could say you've wasted x months, and yes they are dealing with peoples lives and it's not fair. BUT, applying to the Armed Forces was never going to be a quick process. What with all the cutbacks going on and IOT's being cancelled in August (not sure about October), it doens't seem like a good time to be applying.

I have heard that the cutbacks are Pilot driven ie: there is no room to train any more for a while, but other support branches should be ok.

What are you applying for?
Cheers Icklecathy, it sounds as thought they've probably put me on the next available boarding. It's a shame they're having to cancel on people, but I guess that if they have to reduce the number of service personnel, the best way is to simply not recruit!
I'm applying for Ops Spt (ATC), WSO, Opts Spt (Int) - so perhaps I won't be the victim of the latest cutbacks.

simon.h109: I'm 23, and do not consider myself a sprog, but, being on the upper limit of the age threshold, I think it would be fair to say that the average age at OASC is going to be lower than yours.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by js_atco)
Cheers Icklecathy, it sounds as thought they've probably put me on the next available boarding. It's a shame they're having to cancel on people, but I guess that if they have to reduce the number of service personnel, the best way is to simply not recruit!
I'm applying for Ops Spt (ATC), WSO, Opts Spt (Int) - so perhaps I won't be the victim of the latest cutbacks.

simon.h109: I'm 23, and do not consider myself a sprog, but, being on the upper limit of the age threshold, I think it would be fair to say that the average age at OASC is going to be lower than yours.
No probs, those branches sound like good choices to me...i'm hoping there is a sudden surge in demand for Supply or Admin Officers in the next week!

23 is a great age to be applying :-)
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago

Si
In my expeariance (admitedly limited to 2 people) people in their 30's seem to come top of their intake and lead the sprogs in the graduation parade carrying a sweet sword. Then a killing rampage of all the people they don't like.

Ok, so I made the last bit up, but you have to dream. :rolleyes:
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Weena_no9)
In my expeariance (admitedly limited to 2 people) people in their 30's seem to come top of their intake and lead the sprogs in the graduation parade carrying a sweet sword. Then a killing rampage of all the people they don't like.

Ok, so I made the last bit up, but you have to dream. :rolleyes:
Leading the Grad parade....that would RULE!!!
simon.h109
Report 15 years ago
Guys

Thanks for your thoughts, I definately take on board the comments that all there are there to learn to lead and not to mess around. JS, as i said in my original msg, I meant it with the upmost respect when i said sprog. you can only trust me on this, at my age you cannot help but consider anybody under 25 a sprog, and this is meant as an affectionate term borne out of envy!!!!!!!

but be ready, when i get in i am gonna show the babies how pops can run real fast!

Good luck guys

Si
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

but be ready, when i get in i am gonna show the babies how pops can run real fast!
LOL! But how LONG can you run for?!!!!!!!
Ed1000
Report 15 years ago
LOL! But how LONG can you run for?!!!!!!!
Yeah but even if you are in SO much pain that you cannot go on, think about flying the hawk, im sure that would give you enough energy/incentive to keep going. Although I wouldn't rely on that one! The level is flexible anyway, if you have put enough effort in, and come close enough in their eyes, you pass.
LouBou75
Report 15 years ago

Si
I'm 28 and went through OASC recently. Nothing was made of my age and there was also a 32 year old. However, no one out of my 19 OASC group got through but have in the main been asked to come back either next year or year after. Any advice you need let me know.

Lou
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LouBou75)
However, no one out of my 19 OASC group got through but have in the main been asked to come back either next year or year after. Any advice you need let me know.

Lou
Nobody out of 19?! That isn't very encouraging at all. Do you know what the reasons were or what the people were applying for? Seems daft to be holding OASC's of they aren't going to take anyone on. Unless none of the group were of the required standard (No offence intended!).
Waiting_Walter
Report 15 years ago
I've been following this thread for a while now but never posted anything.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has posted USEFUL information.

I would also like to say good luck to everyone who is attending OASC in the near future.

My OASC appointment is 20th June. Seems odd that another group is coming on the 22nd June when hopefully i will still be there.

How many OASC intakes are there in a month?

And yes, it's not very encouraging that nobody out of 19 made it through when LouBou75 went!!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Waiting_Walter)
I've been following this thread for a while now but never posted anything.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has posted USEFUL information.

I would also like to say good luck to everyone who is attending OASC in the near future.

My OASC appointment is 20th June. Seems odd that another group is coming on the 22nd June when hopefully i will still be there.

How many OASC intakes are there in a month?

And yes, it's not very encouraging that nobody out of 19 made it through when LouBou75 went!!
Going on a Sunday? Surely that's a day of rest! Yes I believe there is more than one group there at a time - myabe if I see you in the bar you can give me some tips!

Good luck, what are you applying for?
Waiting_Walter
Report 15 years ago
Same as you icklecathy

Supply first choice and Admin(Sec). Lets hope there's more than one place to be had for these branches.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Waiting_Walter)
Same as you icklecathy

Supply first choice and Admin(Sec). Lets hope there's more than one place to be had for these branches.
You bugger!!! Well I think we have more hope than people applying for Aircrew.

Not sure if I still want to wish you luck now!!! LOL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise