Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Nobody out of 19?! That isn't very encouraging at all. Do you know what the reasons were or what the people were applying for? Seems daft to be holding OASC's of they aren't going to take anyone on. Unless none of the group were of the required standard (No offence intended!).

No offence taken. There were people going for many different trades and all where of a high standard, though clearly something was wrong. I have debrief on 22nd so will let you know key errors.
    Keep working and keep focused you can only do your best and who really knows what the key is?.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouBou75)
    No offence taken. There were people going for many different trades and all where of a high standard, though clearly something was wrong. I have debrief on 22nd so will let you know key errors.
    Keep working and keep focused you can only do your best and who really knows what the key is?.....
    Yeah totally agree, all you can do is your best eh? So have you been advised to re-apply in a year?

I heard that they tend to do that with people just to see how committed they are, which I think is pretty harsh when some of us have been going thorugh the process nearly a year already!

ReputationRep:
    You bugger!!! Well I think we have more hope than people applying for Aircrew.

Not sure if I still want to wish you luck now!!! LOL
    I'll join in on the Bugger! comment. Thats three of us now!
    Although I probably wont be doing anything until later in the year for applying so things maybe a bit better then

ReputationRep:
    Yeah totally agree, all you can do is your best eh? So have you been advised to re-apply in a year?

I heard that they tend to do that with people just to see how committed they are, which I think is pretty harsh when some of us have been going thorugh the process nearly a year already!
    That in a sence worries me, if they are doing that, as you'd be forced to try find another job for a year, and in my case i'd hate to loose the current job I have to find out in a years time ive been dropped and asked to reply in a years time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    That in a sence worries me, if they are doing that, as you'd be forced to try find another job for a year, and in my case i'd hate to loose the current job I have to find out in a years time ive been dropped and asked to reply in a years time

I have been asked to come back next year and some of the younger people were asked to come back in two years. It is a bugger but seems to be very common, the careers advisor I have already spoken to has said its happening alot, as they don't want to loose strong candidates. But what worried me more is that one guy on my course has been three times. Think I would give up after two! :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Glad to see this thread is still alive. Thanks to everyone who's emailed me lately, but I'm currently "away" hence haven't been able toreply.

Will try and contribute a bit more soon; even if only to tell you all that prizewinners don't lead the grad parade as they have to collect prizes, so rather than being the best you have to be the smartest kitted out and loudest! :-)

Good luck to all at OASC. We need a grand total of 100 pilots this year, for those who are interested. Normal years are 185.

ReputationRep:
    Wzz, just out of interest you don't know anyone called Spanner who's really onto jet skiing do you?

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone hear really advise joing the ATC? I was in the sea scouts and the scout marching band so I think it will be the sort of thing I would enjoy, but i've spoken to a guy who was a member a while ago and he said it was not at all as good as it's cracked up to be. I've looked at the website and obviously its portrayed as fun, fun, fun but could anyone tell me if it's really that good?

ReputationRep:
    im 13 and in the atc. it is really good fun, eventhough loads of people think its fun

it is military style which u will probABAly find different than in sea scoats and you wil probably be given the oppurtunity to play in the band

if your 13+ i would advise to find your local squadron on www.aircadets.org and give them a call and a visit

ReputationRep:
    depends what sqn you join. some are more advantaged than others. i think i joined one of the best ATC sqns in the uk. i done alot of stuff and would advise anybody to go.

ReputationRep:
    wht squdron do you go to??

i go to the 372 barry sqdrn

ReputationRep:
    93 Sqn (City of Bath)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew_200)
    im 13 and in the atc. it is really good fun, eventhough loads of people think its fun

it is military style which u will probABAly find different than in sea scoats and you wil probably be given the oppurtunity to play in the band

if your 13+ i would advise to find your local squadron on www.aircadets.org and give them a call and a visit
    Yeah i've found the nearest squadron and its not too far away. I'm quite interested in visiting the place and was hoping you'd say something about that. I really just wanted to hear it from someone on the inside who isn't just trying to persuade people to join so thanks for that. I hate to sound like a lazy bones because i'm not but does it require a LOT of commitment and work? I'm in the middle of my GCSE course and wonder whether if it's just going to be another anoying thing to take my time at home. Also do you just go in once a week, do some ground work sort of activities and do something special like flying every once in a while?
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday and friday nights. If you injoy it you will not mind putting the commitment in. often i've been to cadets tues. and fri. and weekends. during summer you may find yourself doing cadets activities every 3 if not 4 weekends of the month.

each cadet should get 20 minutes of flying per year....i got est 400 minutes of flying in 2 years, not to mention gliding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouBou75)
    I have debrief on 22nd so will let you know key errors.
    So how did the debrief go? I'll def go in for one pass or fail.

ReputationRep:
    if you cant be bothered to put commitment in then dont bother. the only thing you really have to do at home is iron your uniform and polish your shoes. if you wanna be in the raf you may as well start now because you'll be doing that in the raf as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew_200)
    if you cant be bothered to put commitment in then dont bother. the only thing you really have to do at home is iron your uniform and polish your shoes. if you wanna be in the raf you may as well start now because you'll be doing that in the raf as well
    It's not like I cant be bothered to put the commitment in, I've no problem with that I just want to know if its worth it. At scouts I found myself putting in the time and effort and not getting much out of it.

Rhys- with regards to your coment about more advantaged squadrons, is it relative to the area the squadron is in? if there is a squadron in a fairly prosperous area is it likely to be a well financed and run organisation-more so than one in a poorer area? I thought the whole air cadet organisation was supported by the RAF, seems weird that some branches are better off than others.

Also, how long are the sessions on tuesdays and fridays?

ReputationRep:
    not all squadrons have parade nights on tuesdays and fridays. mine are on mondays and wednesdays. they are about 2 and a half hours long, from 7 to half 9.

all squadrons are different and some may have climing walls or firing ranges. im not sure whether it matters about where you live. i think that if you go to one in a city it will be more likely to be bigger and may have more things there.it also means youll get visited by high ranking officers more often, which is probably a downside. anyway, there are normaly chances to go shooting every month, and there are lots of activities and raf base camps to go to. they are also very cheap.

in cadets i think the more you put, the more you get out.
    my mate has been flying a couple of times, and one of the times it was bacause he raised the most money while bagpacking down morrisons.

my advice is just call your squadron and go for a visit. if you dont like it then dont go, but it may help you if you want a career in the raf

also alot of the money a squdron gets is from it raising it themselves, but they do get funding from the raf
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Weena_no9)
    Wzz, just out of interest you don't know anyone called Spanner who's really onto jet skiing do you?
    Nope, afraid not.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anything about vacancies in Supply or Admin ?!!!!!!

All I got told at OASC was that competiton is fierce acorss the board, but I guess things like Pilot and Int are worse than Supply or Admin ?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.