andrew_200
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
pilots obviously gonna be harder to get because that is what everyone wants to be. you got to remember though that all the people who gut turned down for pilots will probably go in as something else un the raf
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by andrew_200)
pilots obviously gonna be harder to get because that is what everyone wants to be. you got to remember though that all the people who gut turned down for pilots will probably go in as something else un the raf
Not quite the case. I got back from OASC on Friday, only 3 people had applied for Pilot and only 1 passed the aptitude, the other 2 went home 'cos that was all they wanted to do.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont understand why they would just give up like that but then again I am in it for the career and lifestyle as a whole, not just one aspect of it. How did OASC go for you? I've got OASC in a few months though I'm still waiting to hear the final date. Everytime I ask about Fighter Control vacancies AFCO get all shifty and don't say wether they are activly recruiting them anymore. Very unhelpful. Did you happen to notice any going for Fighter Control at your OASC date?
andrew_200
Report 15 years ago
hey,

im in the atc and was wondering if anyone new the eyesight standards for a weapons systems officer and a weapon system operator head loadmaster?

ive had one person tell me, but they said for head loadmaster you could wearglasses but there not sure so if anyone knows ill be grateful for advice!

cheers
flashman
Report 15 years ago
hey,

im in the atc and was wondering if anyone new the eyesight standards for a weapons systems officer and a weapon system operator head loadmaster?

ive had one person tell me, but they said for head loadmaster you could wearglasses but there not sure so if anyone knows ill be grateful for advice!

cheers
Whats a head loadmaster? i've heard of an air loadmaster.....

What is a "parade night" in ATC circles? what kind of things do you do?
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by flashman)
Whats a head loadmaster? i've heard of an air loadmaster.....

What is a "parade night" in ATC circles? what kind of things do you do?
Andrew_200 is possibly referring to an loadmaster with a master aircrew rank. If not, i dont know.

Cadets go on parade at the beginning and end of each cadet night. Usually on first parade the CO or another officer/warrent officer will brief the cadets on whats going to happen that night. End parade is where cadets get dismissed. Awards (if any) will be given and a brief on next cadets night will be given etc.

Parade basically looks like cadets organised in flights usually NCO's take each flight and the highest ranking NCO (probably a CWO) will take parade...the CWO basically calls the parade to attention, salutes the CO and gives him charge, CO says what he has to say then gives charge back to CWO. CWO falls out parade or dismisses them if the parade is the last...i'll shut up now
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you wanna be in the raf you may as well start now because you'll be doing that in the raf as well
Not if you're aircrew
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Do you know anything about vacancies in Supply or Admin ?!!!!!!

All I got told at OASC was that competiton is fierce acorss the board, but I guess things like Pilot and Int are worse than Supply or Admin ?
It's actually disproportionately fierce for ground branches right now. There's a likelihood that recruiting for airman ground trades is going to slide down a bit this year, and there'll be a corresponding decrease in the number of officers required as well. Admin might be hard because there're talks right now about possible centralising forces admin into one organisation, and as no-one knows what form it'll take, no-one knows how many adminners we'll need.

Supply's a big branch so they'll always need people, but in general it's a leaner year than before. I honestly can't tell you if it's proportionally harder to get in as a pilot or supplier this year compared with 2 years ago.

What you do have in hand is that to be honest, there are sometimes a lot of crap applicants for supply and admin. I'm sure you were brilliant last week, but the competition might not have been that hard compared to the more hotly contested pilot boards sometimes.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pilot's not necessarily that hard. It may be what a lot of people want to be, but so few pass aptitudes and medicals that the competition isn't always impossibly hard amongst those that are left. And being the Royal Air Force, we need a lot of them.

Unless you want to join this year, of course, in which case we need none

A few years ago, there were 6 IOT courses a year of around 100-120 cadets. That's maybe 600 officers joining a year, and we aimed to recruit 185 pilots.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Pilot's not necessarily that hard. It may be what a lot of people want to be, but so few pass aptitudes and medicals that the competition isn't always impossibly hard amongst those that are left. And being the Royal Air Force, we need a lot of them.

Unless you want to join this year, of course, in which case we need none

A few years ago, there were 6 IOT courses a year of around 100-120 cadets. That's maybe 600 officers joining a year, and we aimed to recruit 185 pilots.
Only 3 people on my OASC applied for Pilot. 2 failed aptitude.

Having said that, I passed the aptitude for Pilot, I can't see what all the fuss was about
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's actually disproportionately fierce for ground branches right now. There's a likelihood that recruiting for airman ground trades is going to slide down a bit this year, and there'll be a corresponding decrease in the number of officers required as well. Admin might be hard because there're talks right now about possible centralising forces admin into one organisation, and as no-one knows what form it'll take, no-one knows how many adminners we'll need.

Supply's a big branch so they'll always need people, but in general it's a leaner year than before. I honestly can't tell you if it's proportionally harder to get in as a pilot or supplier this year compared with 2 years ago.

What you do have in hand is that to be honest, there are sometimes a lot of crap applicants for supply and admin. I'm sure you were brilliant last week, but the competition might not have been that hard compared to the more hotly contested pilot boards sometimes.
I don't know if I was brilliant but I don't remember making any huge mistakes. There was me and 1 other going for Supply and Admin, but that's just in one board. I have a feeling i'll get asked to go back in 12 months.

I put Flight Ops down too in depseration at my final review, and switched from SSC to PC.

We did have 1 very amusing moment in our hangar exercises when we all clapped when one of the group jumped onto a barrel, and the Boarding Officer said "Nobody is auditioning for Pop Idol, there is no need for applause". Miserable gits!
Suzi Q
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
We did have 1 very amusing moment in our hangar exercises when we all clapped when one of the group jumped onto a barrel, and the Boarding Officer said "Nobody is auditioning for Pop Idol, there is no need for applause". Miserable gits!
On my OASC I was the lighest cos all the others were guys (big rugby players). I ended up being catapulted when too many people stood on the end of a plank and knocked off a barrel when the tyre swung straight into me. The officers thought it was hilarious and had to ask the guys to 'stop picking on me!'.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everyone seems to say that the interview is the hardest part but I've studied so much it doesn't concern me at this point. Its the exercises that are stressing me out! This is pretty much the only career that I want and I would do anything to get it but I have a backup plan of doing Aerospace Engineering at University and then applying to the RAF again after a degree. It makes me feel better knowing I can still so something with my life but I would be crushed if I didnt pass OASC first time round.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
Everyone seems to say that the interview is the hardest part but I've studied so much it doesn't concern me at this point. Its the exercises that are stressing me out! This is pretty much the only career that I want and I would do anything to get it but I have a backup plan of doing Aerospace Engineering at University and then applying to the RAF again after a degree. It makes me feel better knowing I can still so something with my life but I would be crushed if I didnt pass OASC first time round.
I agree about the interview - I was nervous but not panicking like most people. If you know your stuff it helps you relax and you will come across much more confident. Some people were cramming form notes just before - you don't need to do this if you are fully prepared before you go.

I found the Hangar Exercises hardest 'cos i've never done anything like that before - best advice I can give you is less talking more action!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
so how are you feeling about the way your OASC visit went? Were there quite a lot of officer candidates there? Any FCs? lol I'm all full of questions.

I'm just worried that I will screw up royally in the exercises. Especially the leaderless one! I know I am a leader, but its proving it that going to prove interesting! I fit enough for the fitness exam, I am prepared for the aptitude, and I know my stuff for the interview. I've still got months to prepare so I will be still studying just as much. I don't want to be one of those people cramming it all in at the end!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
so how are you feeling about the way your OASC visit went? Were there quite a lot of officer candidates there? Any FCs? lol I'm all full of questions.

I'm just worried that I will screw up royally in the exercises. Especially the leaderless one! I know I am a leader, but its proving it that going to prove interesting! I fit enough for the fitness exam, I am prepared for the aptitude, and I know my stuff for the interview. I've still got months to prepare so I will be still studying just as much. I don't want to be one of those people cramming it all in at the end!
I think it went pretty well. I passed all the aptitudes, inc Pilot Interview was fine, Group Planning and Discussion also fine. Got 9.4 on bleep. Not so great in hangar but still don't think i've made a mess of anything.

When are you going ? We had 18 people all going for Officer by the end. No FC's!!! You'll def get in fi that's what you are applying for! Have you got your OASC date yet ?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OMG you just made me so happy by saying there weren't any FCs! And according to my AFCO they are looking for them! Yes! lol. I haven't got my date yet but the officer thats looking after my recruiting says it should be august/september. They seem keep to push me through seeing as I only applied in the beginning of May! (had my AFCO on the 24th of may) But when I first said to the officers at AFCO that I was going for FCs they all gave me funny looks and tried to dissuade me saying I will never see the light of day again as I will always live in a bunker/dark plane. Also the fact FCs are a target for terrorists. But it hasn't put me off it yet! I can't wait for OASC, its just a chance to prove myself I guess. It my base visit that has me shaking in fear!

Congrats then on OASC! You will have to tell us if you passed in a few weeks! 9.4? Thats really bloody good!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Especially the leaderless one! I know I am a leader, but its proving it that going to prove interesting!
The leaderless one's designed to be screwed up. The point's to prove that you need direction and a leader in order for you to get anywhere. It's a chance for you to show that you're a bit of a team player, but don't try and take charge. Suggest things to the team, but don't dictate. And don't expect to pass; when I did it, I barely said a word, and we didn't even get half way through, but it didn't seem to be a bad thing...!
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who has had their initial interview for OASC could advise me on how to prepare for it. I mean does anyone have any tips on what to do and expect? What will give me a good advantage to any possible questions that could be asked. Anything at all would be greatly accepted.

Thanks
huggybear
Report 15 years ago
No need to be worried about it. I did mine in April and am going to Cranwell in August so hope this helps... Preparation is the key - it helps you to feel confident and as long as you go in there feeling that you couldn't have done much more prep, you should be ok. There will be 2 senior officers interviewing you. One will come and get you from the reception area. Wear a very smart suit, polished shoes and make sure hair is tidy. They'll make you feel at ease. One of them will start by asking you all about your school and home life and job. It's from your application form and is just designed to make sure you've not left anything significant off the form. Hint...know all your schools and dates you were there off by heart. They'll be interested in any groups, sports teams, prefect jobs you were involved in - how would your friends have described you at school. They want to know that you are a sociable, easy going person who is not a weirdo computer nerd or anything. You need to fit in with people in the mess remember.

After that part which is easy cos it's all about you, the other officer will ask you to go round the world and give him to current headlines. Avoid Iraq - they're not interested. Key ones were Zimbabwe land grab, Korea, US elections. YOu just need to give them news headlines and then he'll ask you a bit about one or two of the conflicts - nothing bad cos there is no time and once he knows you've done your homework he'll stop. Also asked to identify a chinook pic on the wall and say where the RAF is based. Why is Cyrpus significant base (cos it's near the middle east).

Be confident, sit still, hands in lap, listen and be smiley and happy. Don't let them think they've fazed you in any way. If you don't know say so - they're not catching you out - they just want to get to know you. Shake their hands and say nice to meet you afterwards. Big sigh of relief and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good luck. If I can help any more, I'd be glad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.26%
No (566)
65.74%

Watched Threads