huggybear
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
I think it went pretty well. I passed all the aptitudes, inc Pilot Interview was fine, Group Planning and Discussion also fine. Got 9.4 on bleep. Not so great in hangar but still don't think i've made a mess of anything.

When are you going ? We had 18 people all going for Officer by the end. No FC's!!! You'll def get in fi that's what you are applying for! Have you got your OASC date yet ?
Just wanted to tell icklecathy bloody well done on the bleep. 9.4 is amazing for a girl. Fitness isn't everything but I hope you get in - you should hear soon - let us know! I start at Cranwell in August.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by huggybear)
Just wanted to tell icklecathy bloody well done on the bleep. 9.4 is amazing for a girl. Fitness isn't everything but I hope you get in - you should hear soon - let us know! I start at Cranwell in August.
Cheers! I new it was a good score but didn't think it was as good as you say! Have started racing down for the post every morning alreday and it's only 5 days since I got back!

Bet you are well excited for starting, we were told Dec course was the next available one if we were successful!
Wing Commander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks huggybear for ur help and please if you have more advice and info, let me know. Another thing if anyone knows is the dimensions of a pilot. i mean; 1, the leg length, 2, arm length, 3, back length etc... i dont know the correct terms so i apologise. however i know they measure you for the harrier as a wso told me but i couldnt get into one the cockpits for it when i was at the waddington airshow at the weekend. Did anyone go there by the way?
Anyway any information would be great.

WC
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They don't measure you for any specific jet. You're measured to make sure that (for example; these aren't the correct things, but just to give you an idea) your function reach means you can trip the radalt on a Harrier, your sitting height and reach means you can reach the LH engine fire switch on a Chinook, and your leg length is short enough to survive rear seat ejection in a Canberra. You have to be able to fit into everything.

I can't remember the dimensions, but even if I could, it's hard for you to measure them with any degree of accuracy when the RAF are milimetre specific about their tolerances. If you're taller than 5'6, shorter than 6'4 and not freakishly out of proportion you *should* be ok. I'm 5'8 and sensibly proportioned and I fit in everything very comfortably; although I have to motor my seat up a bit before flying...
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
I've just had a letter from Cranwell informing me that since inviting me to OASC, they have decided to introduce a swimming test for candidates applying for certain branches.

The test will consist of:

a) Swimming 3 lengths in RAF issue overalls (denims)
b) Treading water for 2 minutes in denims
c) Climb out of the pool unaided, also in denims

(The test will take place at the end of part 2)

So, remember your trunks and a towel!
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by js_atco)
b) Reading water for 2 minutes in denims
Is that like reading tea leaves or palms or something, cause I don't have any extra sensory perseptions that I'm aware of. Damn it really is getting tough these days, what will they want next, super powers?
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
Hahahahaha! That's a typo! Would've been interesting if they were expecting you to "read water for 2 mins in denims!" Although I think that would only be applicable to the new 'Ops Spt Fortune Teller' branch :-)
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
That's what I'm going for, magical item/beast operator. :cool:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dammit I withdrew my application yesterday and now they add a swim factor? I used to be on an national swim team. There is just no justice in the world. Ah well
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
Dammit I withdrew my application yesterday and now they add a swim factor? I used to be on an national swim team. There is just no justice in the world. Ah well
WHY?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by js_atco)
I've just had a letter from Cranwell informing me that since inviting me to OASC, they have decided to introduce a swimming test for candidates applying for certain branches.

The test will consist of:

a) Swimming 3 lengths in RAF issue overalls (denims)
b) Treading water for 2 minutes in denims
c) Climb out of the pool unaided, also in denims

(The test will take place at the end of part 2)

So, remember your trunks and a towel!
That used to be after Aircrew had been accepted, I'm sure only those going for flying positons will have to do it, and for obvious reasons!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That used to be after Aircrew had been accepted, I'm sure only those going for flying positons will have to do it, and for obvious reasons!
Also Regiment and Provost applicants.
clairezay
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi.

I'm only 16, but I also want to be a pilot. I was thinking more along the lines of an airline pilot though.I also take flying lessons three times a month, working towards my private pilots license (ppl).

I do know that to join the RAF, they ask for at least 5 GCSE's grades A*-C.
They also ask for at least three a level passes including physics and maths. A university degree is not essential, but would probably help. I don't think there's any specific degree needed, but I suppose physics and maths would be of some help.

You also have to pass a class one medical examination, so you must have good eyesight, hearing and good fitness. All of these will be tested before you will be able to join up.

Also, in case you didn't know, when you sign up, you have to sign up for in advance and sign up for a minimum number of years. So it's quite an important decision to make.

I know quite a lot about jobs like these, so if you wanna talk or anything add me ([email protected]), to msn.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
flashman
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by clairezay)
Hi.

I'm only 16, but I also want to be a pilot. I was thinking more along the lines of an airline pilot though.I also take flying lessons three times a month, working towards my private pilots license (ppl).

I do know that to join the RAF, they ask for at least 5 GCSE's grades A*-C.
They also ask for at least three a level passes including physics and maths. A university degree is not essential, but would probably help. I don't think there's any specific degree needed, but I suppose physics and maths would be of some help.

You also have to pass a class one medical examination, so you must have good eyesight, hearing and good fitness. All of these will be tested before you will be able to join up.

Also, in case you didn't know, when you sign up, you have to sign up for in advance and sign up for a minimum number of years. So it's quite an important decision to make.

I know quite a lot about jobs like these, so if you wanna talk or anything add me ([email protected]), to msn.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
I was under the impression that they ask for 5 GCSE A-Cs and only two A-level passes, with the topics being irrelavant... I'll leave you to be lynched by all the experts on this thread.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by flashman)
I was under the impression that they ask for 5 GCSE A-Cs and only two A-level passes, with the topics being irrelavant... I'll leave you to be lynched by all the experts on this thread.
Hmm, I was just thinking that myself !
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
For airline piloting i'm sure its 5 GCSEs with 2 A-level passes and (though its not official but from word of mouth from a few pilots) a degree. Of course if your paying for everthing yourself you dont need any qualifications, just the £60,000 odd pounds.

Also one other thing, expect to be made redundant at least three times in your flying career!
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by flashman)

Lol! Prepare to be lynched Clairezay!

To be an Officer in the RAF, you need:

5 GCSEs A-C (inc Maths)
2 A-levels, or an equivalent qualification, in ANY discipline

The rest is down to how the individual performs at their filter interview, and most importantly, how they perform during assessment at Cranwell. Not once has the word PHYSICS been mentioned to me during the application process. The impression I have of the RAF is that you may well be a mathematic genius, but if your head isn't screwed on the right way, and your mum cooks all your dinners, you're buggered!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Got my letter this morning. I have been shortlisted for consideration for a Commission, another meeting will take place in August, and then I will get a final decision.

Not the outcome I was hoping for, but haven't heard from anybody at my OASC who has been given a place yet, so at least I haven't been binnned.
LouBou75
Report 15 years ago
Got my letter this morning. I have been shortlisted for consideration for a Commission, another meeting will take place in August, and then I will get a final decision.

Not the outcome I was hoping for, but haven't heard from anybody at my OASC who has been given a place yet, so at least I haven't been binnned.

Been waiting to hear how you got on. Well done!..... you should be proud. Its a difficult situation where you again have to wait but you have done realy well.

Congratulations on getting that far, and keep us updated

Lou x
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LouBou75)
Been waiting to hear how you got on. Well done!..... you should be proud. Its a difficult situation where you again have to wait but you have done realy well.

Congratulations on getting that far, and keep us updated

Lou x
I know I should be happy, but i'm in a really difficult situation now. I have another job offer that involves me moving to London at the end of August to start in early September. Obviously the RAF is my no 1 choice, but I could turn down this other job, only for the RAF to tell me in August they don't want me, and then i'm back to square one. Or I could move to London and the RAF decide they want me and i've gone thorugh all that hassle for nothing.

What a stress !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise