BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey guys,

been out of the RAF loop for a bit in this forum so lemme know if I missed anything! I have decided to go Trades instead of Officer, though OASC & AFCO got quite pissy at this as supposedly I had come quite recommended from AFCO. Got my Aptitude next week which Im not really looking forward to.
icklecathy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
hey guys,

been out of the RAF loop for a bit in this forum so lemme know if I missed anything! I have decided to go Trades instead of Officer, though OASC & AFCO got quite pissy at this as supposedly I had come quite recommended from AFCO. Got my Aptitude next week which Im not really looking forward to.
Hey how's it going ?

So what trade have you decided to go for? I'm sure you mentioned something about a medical problem a while back, hope that's cleared up now!
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey,

i know this is a little off topic, but i just graduated from uni and i was wondering if anyone knows if the RAF are still screaming out for Engineers, i sent off the second application form a week ago (The one you get after going to the presentation) and was also wondering what the filter interview is like? If i was to get one i'd like to be prepared and can only really find stuff about the OASC here.

cheers.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
Hey,

i know this is a little off topic, but i just graduated from uni and i was wondering if anyone knows if the RAF are still screaming out for Engineers, i sent off the second application form a week ago (The one you get after going to the presentation) and was also wondering what the filter interview is like? If i was to get one i'd like to be prepared and can only really find stuff about the OASC here.

cheers.
Hey,

No I think the shortage in Engineers Officers has been filled - a guy on my OASC a couple of wks ago was applying for EngO and he has been shortlisted, so they certainly aren't desperate anymore, but that doesn't mean to say they don't need any at all.

AFCO interview is fairly easy, it's about 30mins, and you will get asked about your education so far, personal life, achievements in and out of school etc. Then a bit on why you want to join, why you chose your branch, some RAF knowledge (planes, bases abroad, IOT etc).
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks,

Ah well hopefully my personality will shine through and they'll employ me anyhow going for Provost Officer as my second choice although by the sounds of this forum they're pretty full up right now.

got an hour to kill before an interview, its via the telephone, i think i'm more nervous for this than face to face ones.
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
Hi all, I have my oasc at cranwell in ten days, can anyone tell me how long the interview lasts for and how in depth do you need to know things, eg, how much of the training schedules do you need to know for each of your branch selections. Also any tips for the apititude would be helpful although i realise these tests cant really be studied for. One last thing what sort of topics are used for the group discussions.

If anyone can help please reply on here or email me at [email protected]. Much appreciated
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tonyjones1980)
Hi all, I have my oasc at cranwell in ten days, can anyone tell me how long the interview lasts for and how in depth do you need to know things, eg, how much of the training schedules do you need to know for each of your branch selections. Also any tips for the apititude would be helpful although i realise these tests cant really be studied for. One last thing what sort of topics are used for the group discussions.
So long as you aren't applying for Supply, Admin or Flight opps I will give you what advice I can

Interview is 45 mins and goes very quickly. They have set time limits on each subject and I noticed checking the clock quite a lot! For this reason, nothing is probed in too much depth - so long as you sound like you know what you are talking about on each subject they will move on quickly. For branch choices they will ask why you want to do it, what the training involves (where it is, how long etc), and what you could be doing on your first tour.

For the aptitiude tests, practice mental airthmetic and some basic maths, there isn't much else you can do. I would advise laying off the beers the night before as the tests do start early, and take advantage of the cooked brekkie on offer in the Candidates Mess! Take some water in with you and keep hydrated, your concentration will go quickly if you don't.

Topics for the discussion are random and not necessarily to do with the armed forces. I had stuff about a DNA database, great inventions, and footballer's salaries!

Anything else just ask
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
So long as you aren't applying for Supply, Admin or Flight opps I will give you what advice I can

Interview is 45 mins and goes very quickly. They have set time limits on each subject and I noticed checking the clock quite a lot! For this reason, nothing is probed in too much depth - so long as you sound like you know what you are talking about on each subject they will move on quickly. For branch choices they will ask why you want to do it, what the training involves (where it is, how long etc), and what you could be doing on your first tour.

For the aptitiude tests, practice mental airthmetic and some basic maths, there isn't much else you can do. I would advise laying off the beers the night before as the tests do start early, and take advantage of the cooked brekkie on offer in the Candidates Mess! Take some water in with you and keep hydrated, your concentration will go quickly if you don't.

Topics for the discussion are random and not necessarily to do with the armed forces. I had stuff about a DNA database, great inventions, and footballer's salaries!

Anything else just ask
Thanks a lot, just a couple of things really althoug i dont wanna bore you too much. How many people do the boarding? For the aptitdue tests would you advice taking more time as to answer more correctly or do things as fast as possible. got a feeling that you answer maybe do things as fast as possible as correctly as possible haha. How did you find the fitness test and do you think i will need more than one suit or just take a couple of pairs of shirts? oh dear so many things to think about starting a bit stressed :confused:
Blue_Wolf75
Report 15 years ago
I'm not sure of the average number on a board but there were 45ish on mine.

As far as the aptitudes go, id suggest a happy medium, try and be as accurate as possible but also try to go at a fair pace.

The fitness test isn't that bad but you want to be aiming for level 10.6 as a minimum because that is classed as an elcelent score and gets you alot of browny points.

With regards to suits I'd suggest one to do your interview in (with a white shirt) I'd also suggest that you take another one for wear in the mess and other activities but i'd also take another shirt or two maybe a blue one or something to wear for arriving and aptitudes and stuff.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tonyjones1980)
Thanks a lot, just a couple of things really althoug i dont wanna bore you too much. How many people do the boarding? For the aptitdue tests would you advice taking more time as to answer more correctly or do things as fast as possible. got a feeling that you answer maybe do things as fast as possible as correctly as possible haha. How did you find the fitness test and do you think i will need more than one suit or just take a couple of pairs of shirts? oh dear so many things to think about starting a bit stressed :confused:
No worries - if you look back about 10 pages you will probably find me stressing about all the same things!

Interview is done by 2 Officers, Part 2 also by 2 different Officers. Not sure really about the aptitude tests because at the end you only get told what branches you have passed for. I would think it's better to be accurate than fast, but obviously you don't dawdle either!

Bleep test was fine. I'm a crap runner and trained for about 6 months before OASC. I got level 9.4 which is top bracket for a girlie, ( just thought i'd mention that ) It's at the end of a very long day, so try and have a decent lunch (some of the more nervous people didn't and had no energy to run), and again keep on with the water.

I took 1 suit with 2 shirts. Remember your long socks, you need them to tuck overalls in to for Part 2.
Big Cheese
Report 15 years ago
Tony,

I was there a couple of weeks back, and we only had 21 on our board. Supposedly they're getting really picky as to who they're letting get to OASC.

I took two suits, but you're allowed to wear smart/casual for the apitude tests, so a polo t-shirt should be fine.

Most aptitudes will have a time limit of sorts, so its in your interest to work fast, but be accurate.

Good luck

p.s. what branches are you going for?
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Big Cheese)
Tony,

I was there a couple of weeks back, and we only had 21 on our board. Supposedly they're getting really picky as to who they're letting get to OASC.

I took two suits, but you're allowed to wear smart/casual for the apitude tests, so a polo t-shirt should be fine.

Most aptitudes will have a time limit of sorts, so its in your interest to work fast, but be accurate.

Good luck

p.s. what branches are you going for?
IVE applied for Nav, Int and supply and a back up of Air loadmaster, from reading some of these quotes im slightly bothered that my first two choices are very common and so competition will be fierce. By the way it is al good news about the fitness test im gonna piss it. I thought the standard had to be higher than that, i have been doing the bleep test at our local gym everything 6 weeks, its a bit thing there, im well over level 12 standard so thats not gonna be a problem. its the interview that is causing me a little concern but any tips are gratefully recieved, thanks to all 3 of you for you for replying. One other thing that i was after is do they down grade you if you smoke, i have tried stopping but its like trying to tell the pope not to pray lol :rolleyes:
Big Cheese
Report 15 years ago
Theres no down grading if you smoke. You should see the amount some of the fast jet jocks go through!!!
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Big Cheese)
Theres no down grading if you smoke. You should see the amount some of the fast jet jocks go through!!!

haha, ok big cheese don't suppose you can remember any examples from the appitutude questions can you? im willing to make a cash offer haha
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
I'm not sure of the average number on a board but there were 45ish on mine.
Aaah, if you meant how many canididates, numbers are down now, there were only about 25 to start on mine, and only 18 after Part 1.
simon.h109
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Good stuff Simon, just make sure you have the right qualifications for Training Officer - a girl at my OASC only got told in her interview that she wasn't qualified, needless to say she didn't make Part 2! We couldn't believe it hasn't been picked up at the AFCO or in the filter interview.
Thanks for that, I know what you mean. Believe it or not, despite having a teaching degree, being a fully qualified teacher with 4 years experience, both of which are possible routes of entry, it is my NVQ5 in Construction Contracts Management that gets me in!! Strange...

Can anyone tell me the way to tell the difference between a Tornado GR3 and GR4? Apart from the payload?? Someone reckoned it is something to do with the nosecone...? :confused:
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by simon.h109)
Can anyone tell me the way to tell the difference between a Tornado GR3 and GR4? Apart from the payload?? Someone reckoned it is something to do with the nosecone...? :confused:
The nose on the GR4 is shorter and fatter, the F3 is quite long and sleek.

Ooo err Mrs
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
What is the GR3 used for? i know the GR4 is for offensive and recon (GR4A).
Big Cheese
Report 15 years ago
There isn't a GR3. I think he meant to say F3
Big Cheese
Report 15 years ago
Cathy, do you reckon they always get the syndicates down to 18? Makes it nice and easy I guess for three groups of six.

Just a thought perhaps...

Simon, aptitude questions varied. One got you to perform three tasks at once (math, memory, and hitting the right colour at the right time) thats called clan. Others ask you about a bit of information on a chart, what size an angle is etc.

My minds a bit blank at the moment, if I remember more I'll jot em down for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads