Weena_no9
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I had a dream last night where there were these two...... Oh no, hold on. I shouldn't tell you about that.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol oh dear :rolleyes:

I keep having these dreams about the army....maybe I'm joining the wrong force? I think I am going insane, I cannot wait until my aptitude & medical and its doing my friggin head in! I want to be working in the RAF already! I've been waiting four years.

On another note I found out that my fiance is going to the land of sand in a few days. Quite unexpected but hopefully he will be home for christmas. (or my passing out parade if I keep my fingers crossed)
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
4 years! makes me think if i would be better of going to uni then applying for the RAF after. Few weeks back i could not decide what to do, however, now i'm thinking it would be better in the long run for me to go to uni with the possibility of joining the UAS meanwhile, then applying for the RAF.
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
Any opinions?
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
can anyone help?? Does anyone have a good list of maybe 6 world current affairs from the last 12 months that would be good for OASC
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tonyjones1980)
can anyone help?? Does anyone have a good list of maybe 6 world current affairs from the last 12 months that would be good for OASC
see my siggy dahling it will help you out
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
Any opinions?
ooo tough one. First I wasn't waiting 4 years for acceptance, I have just had an interest for 4 years and kept putting it of until I was old enough/mature enough/qualified enough/ready. I know Im ready now because I have had 4 years to think about what Im doing, and I tried the whole uni thing. Can you write a list out of plus and minus points? Maybe I can get the ball rolling?

Points To Go To Uni
You will be in a stable environment
You will be studying for a degree
You will be more qualified than you are now
You will have a good experience with others at uni
You can join UAS and still be associated with the RAF

Points to go into the RAF
You will have a good paying job that you love
You can study with an open degree(and sometimes the RAF pays for it)
You get to travel
You get to meet lots upon lots of people

Theres a few points to start off, I am biased and I would say go for the RAF, you are qualified enough. But that is strictly my opinion!
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
If you don't need a degree for what you want to do and feel that you have a good chance of getting in without one then I wouldn't bother going to uni. There's nothing you wont learning working in the RAF for 3 years that you'll learn at uni.

There are benifits to having a degree, ie higher initial rank, faster initial promotion, and higher initial pay, but all these things are cancelled out by having 3 extra years in the force. You'd still reach Flt Lt 1 year earlier if you didn't go to uni.
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
see my siggy dahling it will help you out

I have looked at them thanks but there has and is so much going on, wanna just get 5-6 good topics and reasearch them but not sure what sort of ones are best for OASC, any suggestion??
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have looked at them thanks but there has and is so much going on, wanna just get 5-6 good topics and reasearch them but not sure what sort of ones are best for OASC, any suggestion??
well what about the JSF problems, the mars missions, the new european defense force, the iranian conflict that has just escalated, the huntly trial, the iraq conflict and its political controvercies, the new european union member countries......
Tonyjones1980
Report 15 years ago
well what about the JSF problems, the mars missions, the new european defense force, the iranian conflict that has just escalated, the huntly trial, the iraq conflict and its political controvercies, the new european union member countries......
cheers, anymore give us a shout i just don't wanna do loads a research into loads of things and only be asked about them for 20 seconds or something daft, any tips are gratefully recieved!!
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
You'll only be asked questions on the topics you mention, and as you don't know which one's they're going to go into more depth about you have no choice but to learn them (the things you chose) all.
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
cheers, anymore give us a shout i just don't wanna do loads a research into loads of things and only be asked about them for 20 seconds or something daft, any tips are gratefully recieved!!
You will probably find that the boarding officers will not dig too deep on any subject. Unless you talk b0110x, that is. Then they'll let you dig your own MahussivE hole until you say 'I don't know'. If you know your stuff on a subject that you've mentioned (which you should anyway) then they'll move on. If you don't know something just say and save yourself the humiliation.

The usual ploy is good cop / bad cop. The good cop will bring you in to the interview and ask nice easy Qns about your background whilst the other guy is writing your +/- attributes down. They will then switch and 'bad cop' will ask you the current affairs / Air Force / NATO / UN Qns.

DO NOT B.S. them. If you say you do rock climbing because you think it'll sounds interesting I will guarantee that one of the boarding officers is / was / knows climbing. How stupid would you feel ?

Any RAF Bases near you ?
If so find out who the OC of the Commissioning Club is, take 2 forms of ID and get yourself in the club. 1 night a week for 10 weeks, usually.
The 10 nights will cover all the stuff at OASC. They won't give you a coached solution though, it's up to you after all.
HTH
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)

Any RAF Bases near you ?
If so find out who the OC of the Commissioning Club is, take 2 forms of ID and get yourself in the club. 1 night a week for 10 weeks, usually.
The 10 nights will cover all the stuff at OASC. They won't give you a coached solution though, it's up to you after all.
HTH
Got one practicly on my door step, Leuchers. This is something that would interest me as well, any other info you have on this would be great.
How would you go about finding out who the person is (are they willing to give this info out?) How would you go about joining, are they keen for people to join.
maverick_87
Report 15 years ago
Ive got my initial interview in the next few weeks, anybody got an advice on what the score is with it, and how I should present myself at it? I know it does not make much difference in the long run, as im 16 and not even got my GCSE grades yet, but is there anything I should know about before i go? I just dont want to go and not know what the hells going to happen in there!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
Ive got my initial interview in the next few weeks, anybody got an advice on what the score is with it, and how I should present myself at it? I know it does not make much difference in the long run, as im 16 and not even got my GCSE grades yet, but is there anything I should know about before i go? I just dont want to go and not know what the hells going to happen in there!
Don't smile too much, I got a *******ing for it
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, I hate people that smile too much. What they got to be soo happy about? Barstards. (*er....?*)
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't smile too much, I got a *******ing for it
I heard a lad who smiled loads and they loved it, even mentioned it in his final review. What they don't like is if you don't look like you are enojying yourself 'cos you probably wouldn't enjoy military life.
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
I'm sure what they do and don't like depends on who you get and what mood they happen to be in at the time. Just be yourself, that way they know what they're getting.
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
Scorg,
There's no 'joining' as such.
I have racked my brains as to how you, as a civilian, would find out who the OC of the Commissioning Club is. I can't think of an easy way so I will ring around for you tomorrow.
Yes, they are keen on people taking part, it makes the Group Discussions and suchlike much better.
Make sure you keep up on your current affairs as they usually have a fast 'pop quiz' at the start of every session.
Another thing for everyone to bear in mind is that OASC and the Commissioning club are aimed at both Officers and potential Airmen Aircrew. They don't distinguish between them. What I mean is, if you're going for AA then it doesn't mean you can't go to the Commissioning Club.
HTH
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads