Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locost Builder)
    Scorg,
    There's no 'joining' as such.
    I have racked my brains as to how you, as a civilian, would find out who the OC of the Commissioning Club is. I can't think of an easy way so I will ring around for you tomorrow.
    Yes, they are keen on people taking part, it makes the Group Discussions and suchlike much better.
    Make sure you keep up on your current affairs as they usually have a fast 'pop quiz' at the start of every session.
    Another thing for everyone to bear in mind is that OASC and the Commissioning club are aimed at both Officers and potential Airmen Aircrew. They don't distinguish between them. What I mean is, if you're going for AA then it doesn't mean you can't go to the Commissioning Club.
    HTH
    Yeah, was thinking it maybe difficult, will appreciate what you can find out anyway.
    I am trying to keep up with current affairs, having a look at wn.com every night and economist.com as well.
    Good to know its aimed at both officer and airman aircrew, since both options are there to pursue career wise

ReputationRep:
    Oh well... cuts day today. Be interesting to see what is going to happen, looks like RAF in for a bit of a cull... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm 18 at the moment. I attended OASC last august and was awarded the pilot scholarship, which is direct entry as a pilot on a permanent commission (until im 38), plus £1000 for my upper sixth year, and a reserved place on the 'In-service' degree scheme (several years down the line i do an OU degree, paid for by the RAF, of course). Out of 277 pilot applicants only 2 of us were chosen, so listen in!
    Go to RAF careers website, click on missions, then old missions. These are jazzed up versions of the 1st half hour of the aptitude tests. Practice these every day.
    I recommend playing on a flight sim a much as you can, these will hone any innate ability you may (or may not) have. Knowing how an aircraft instrument panel looks will help loads.
    Learn to do mental arithmetic almost subconsciously, by practice! You will have to do sums whilst doing a memory task and a vigilance task.
    Get an IQ-type-test book. improve your problem solving abilities. Know how to read and estimate compass bearings, and how to read figures from charts and tables very rapidly.
    About 40 candidates were at breakfast on my OASC course the 1st morning, after the first 5 hours (the aptitude test) all but 11 of us were on the bus back to grantham station! its pretty ruthless.
    The rest of the day is medical tests (not a lot you can change there, but ensure you are roughly the right weight for your height and frame).
    More medical checks the next day, and an INTERVIEW!!
    Know everything about raf equipment, bases and operations overseas. Know current affairs, recent military campaigns (of any country), domestic affairs, cultural issues, political issues. Know sincerely why you want to join the RAF. Learn how to carry yourself in an i/v (posture, body language, eye contact). You'll have 20 minutes to answer questions about yourself, so sell yourself! The interview is blag-proof, be direct, confident and concise!
    The fitness test is 20 metre shuttle runs (bleep test) which is hard as it is a maximal test. Train like a soldier for this, an run till your hanging out of your arse! Good fitness shows dedication and a mature approach to your application as a military officer.
    In the leadership tasks have plenty of confidence and drive, get involved and dont be afraid to be vocal. What use is an idea if you keep it to yourself?
    The planning task is all about good arithmetic (speed/distance/time) and speedy thought and accurate calculations. Dont let them rip your plan to shreds, they will try!
    If you are successful at this stage, give yourself a pat on the back. They will, however, recall you after a period of time for more in depth medical checks.
    Oh and by the way, you need 5 GCSE's and 2 A levels at the very least. A Good CV goes a long way. You cannot wear glasses, have asthma, hayfever, epilepsy, migraines or be outside weight and height limits.
    Best of luck to anyone who tries OASC for entry as a pilot, its damn selective!
    I hope this advice helps,
    Godspeed!

Can please tell me more about what exactly it is in the aptitude test?

ReputationRep:
    To the unregistered guest in the quote made by defence - please register...i want more info from you.

Saying no names over the net, i'm sure i personally know the other candidate. I envy you both! So you got a 6th form bursary and pilot scholarship? well done. you don't have to go back to confirm your direct entry with more interviews or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weena_no9)
    Maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't seem to find the 'missions' link on the RAF careers website. Anyone else had any better luck? :confused:
    The link doesn't exist. The post that refers to this is a very old post, I think the RAF careers website has since been updated.

I wouldn't read Mr Unregistered's post too religiously. He suggests knowing past military campaigns is vital for success at the interview. I have advised that mentioning any major military events, especially Iraq, will send you down a one-way passage to "I don't know". If you suggest you know all their is to know about such a campaign, they'll ask you, "how many squadrons went?" If you can answer this, they ask you, "which squadrons were they?" They'll keep drilling until you say "I don't know!"

Best advised to stick to topics that both you, and the interviewers, are likely to have equal levels of knowledge on. Wars are their speciality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weena_no9)
    Maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't seem to find the 'missions' link on the RAF careers website. Anyone else had any better luck? :confused:
    Don't think it's there anymore matey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defence)
    Can please tell me more about what exactly it is in the aptitude test?
    Loads of stuff and you can't revise for it so just do your best on the day.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your efforts during the Iraq conflict lads, here's your P45...

Regards

Mr. G Hoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon.h109)
    Thanks for all your efforts during the Iraq conflict lads, here's your P45...

Regards

Mr. G Hoon
    Lol. Not really his fault though is it? Mr. Brown tells him how much money he has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Lol. Not really his fault though is it? Mr. Brown tells him how much money he has.
    Admittedly, but the treasury did allocate additional money that 'Geoff' has decided is better spent developing 'hi-tech' defence systems. Historically, the British Governments have not been the best at defence procurement strategies designed at saving costs with "up to date" technology in place of personnel on the ground. Just look at the delays and spiralled costs involved in the introduction of the Eurofighter...

ReputationRep:
    And by the way, just for the record, before anyone starts accusing me of being biased, I genuinely have no particular political persuasion, I just feel strongly about cuts to services that are already stretched - and I am speaking as someone with many friends in the forces who have to work in the face of constant penny pinching by successive governments...

ReputationRep:
    Another base closure, and loads of job cuts in the service. I think we should all be looking elsewhere for employment at this rate!

ReputationRep:
    can anyone remember how long it takes for the guys at the AFCO to get back to you once you've sent in your second application form, you know the one after the presentation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js_atco)
    Another base closure, and loads of job cuts in the service. I think we should all be looking elsewhere for employment at this rate!
    Luckily I already have a Plan B sorted, and it may become my Plan A 'cos i'm just not convinced that joining the RAF is a wise career move at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me what the AFCO filter interview is like? I want to know how in depth they go when asking questions and what questions they asked you. Also do they tell you if you are going to OASC after the interview or via post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Can somebody tell me what the AFCO filter interview is like? I want to know how in depth they go when asking questions and what questions they asked you. Also do they tell you if you are going to OASC after the interview or via post?

hey how long did it take them to get back to you after sending in your form to say you had a filter interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    hey how long did it take them to get back to you after sending in your form to say you had a filter interview?
    I would get in touch with them. They can drag their feet sometimes. I phoned and got an interview within a week.
    I take it they have your Educ. Certs on file and your application form already?

(Original post by Rhys)
    Nice and easy Rhys, plenty of Qns on your schooling, after school activities.
    For others at this stage I suggest you fill out your applications forms and PHOTOCOPY and digest the info you put on them - it's easy to forget things that might seem fairly un-important to you, not to them - might tip the balance.

Relax, they can't kill you or make you pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    Well thats one problem, i've graduated but won't get my certificates till December so i'm not sure what they'll want to see instead, but the rest of the certificates i have.

Hopefully they're just begging for Engineers and that they weren't cut but i'm really really doubting it

ReputationRep:
    I phoned the AFCO to arrange a time to visit to ask questions. During my stay i was invited back to the AFCO to sit through the ass numbing presentation and then have the interview if i wanted. They also sent a letter to confirm the time and duration of the presentation. When you sit in on the presentation they will give you an info pack about prepare for OASC.

ReputationRep:
    See at the presentation we all got given application forms to fill out, kinda supplimentary to the first form we fill out, i sent this off about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them yet to say if i have a filter interview or not, is that normal? I was thinking give them another week and then call them, i'd not be being impatient if i did that would i?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.