Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
I know I know, but save it for the 2nd and 3rd nights!
Officers' Mess bars are better and cheaper; so stay off drinking, get in, then abuse them!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is that at the AFCO ? I'd prob go for smart trousers and a shirt.
yep for my trades application
icklecathy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
yep for my trades application
Cool, well I stick with my original answer, I doubt you need to go suited and booted but just be smart.

Good Luck!
gregwainer
Report 15 years ago
Hi,

If anyone has any advice or experience in regards to the Weapons System Officer for the RAF please email me at [email protected]! Im at the beginning of my application process but want to get ahead from the start!

Thanks,

Greg
jamesfyvie
Report 15 years ago
Hey I'm also going for WSO. I'm actually off to OASC in 2 weeks, getting pretty nervous now!!
I think I am confident about all the aircraft that the WSO can serve on, but if someone could list what they are just so I can cross reference, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
Hey I'm also going for WSO. I'm actually off to OASC in 2 weeks, getting pretty nervous now!!
I think I am confident about all the aircraft that the WSO can serve on, but if someone could list what they are just so I can cross reference, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
You must have had the 'Weapons and Aircraft' book from the AFCO at your P2 brief there. The aircraft are all listed in there, you just have to work out which ones have a back seat driver.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Whilst I would expect to have to know about RAF operations for the interviews, what about the rest? Are you expected to know about the other assets (Army, Navy etc.) deployed to the Gulf at present, or just the RAF contingent?

BTW - I'm trying to come up "from the ranks"; whilst Wzz no doubt has more knowledge about being selected for a commission etc., I'm happy to try and answer any questions.

Can't comment on the Officer's Mess bar being cheap - but most of the bars on unit are cheap
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
Whilst I would expect to have to know about RAF operations for the interviews, what about the rest? Are you expected to know about the other assets (Army, Navy etc.) deployed to the Gulf at present, or just the RAF contingent?

BTW - I'm trying to come up "from the ranks"; whilst Wzz no doubt has more knowledge about being selected for a commission etc., I'm happy to try and answer any questions.

Can't comment on the Officer's Mess bar being cheap - but most of the bars on unit are cheap
Hey,

In my OASC interview about a month ago I didn't even mention Iraq, and I think the Boarding Officer's prefer it if you don't as eveyone knows what is going on there. Try and look at some diferent topics from elsewhere in the world - they don't have to be military topics either. I talked about US Elections, Tuition Fees and Libya.

What are you applying for ?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

hi there.
Well I would perhaps not know about army/navy deployments but it is good to have a base knowledge. Remember to mention our joint force organisations! They will stand you in good stead.

What are you going up to officer from? I just got accepted as a Mechanical or Electrical Technician. I was originally going for Fighter Control Officer but I wanted a job where I could really get my hands dirty and be in the thick of things. Failing the RAF I'm going to be a gunner in the army! (I'm very girly)

Another reason for going tech was that I'm interested in getting an engineering degree. Not really to move up to officer but at least then the option will be open to me.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey,

In my OASC interview about a month ago I didn't even mention Iraq, and I think the Boarding Officer's prefer it if you don't as eveyone knows what is going on there. Try and look at some diferent topics from elsewhere in the world - they don't have to be military topics either. I talked about US Elections, Tuition Fees and Libya.

yes but on the other hand perhaps you should just mention a bit about it? Like I didn't mention the conflict directly, I chose to talk about the political aspect of it and the new interim government. I also talked about the Mars Landings, the JSF being scrapped, The EU, and other things I cant rmember off the top of my head. I was told to list them and then she picked a couple she wanted me to talk about.
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
Hey,

Have you heard anything about your acceptance yet ?
I wouldn't worry if you haven't, you may end up 'sifted' and offered alternative branches if yours' are loaded at the moment. I take it you have applied for a commission?
Good luck, let us know when you find out, if you haven't already.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey,

Fair point - got chatting to a Officer about a year ago (used to be an interviewer at OASC). He mentioned that every other person mentioned Diana's death as "something that caught their eye" during his time at OASC. Already planning to bring up the first two topics you mentioned - trouble is for me, I'm expected to know about the operations that the RAF are undertaking...

Provost, Intelligence and Flight Operations (prob. Int as my first choice) - 'fraid I'm too old to fly!!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What are you going up to officer from? I just got accepted as a Mechanical or Electrical Technician. I was originally going for Fighter Control Officer but I wanted a job where I could really get my hands dirty and be in the thick of things. Failing the RAF I'm going to be a gunner in the army! (I'm very girly)

Another reason for going tech was that I'm interested in getting an engineering degree. Not really to move up to officer but at least then the option will be open to me.
I fancied Fighter Controller but decided that it wasn't for me. Coming up from RAF Police - no comment!

Re: degrees, I've almost finished my OU degree. Got enough credits now for a BSc for the end of the year and need another 30 points to get my 1st. Not bad considering what I left school with! The services pay a percentage of the costs regardless of subject (might be different if the degree is directly relevant to your trade)
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)
Have you heard anything about your acceptance yet ?
I wouldn't worry if you haven't, you may end up 'sifted' and offered alternative branches if yours' are loaded at the moment. I take it you have applied for a commission?
Good luck, let us know when you find out, if you haven't already.
I got a letter about 10 days after OASC saying i've been shortlisted for a Commission. They are having a final meeting on august 5th to decide who gets a place so I should know within a week of that.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I fancied Fighter Controller but decided that it wasn't for me. Coming up from RAF Police - no comment!

Re: degrees, I've almost finished my OU degree. Got enough credits now for a BSc for the end of the year and need another 30 points to get my 1st. Not bad considering what I left school with! The services pay a percentage of the costs regardless of subject (might be different if the degree is directly relevant to your trade)
Are you going in for officer then?
are they disregarding your school marks and concentrating on your degree?

Just ive had the experence where my degree was ignored and they there trying to say I wasnt good enough due to Maths (even though ive done things to improve the mark)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

haha you gotta love the provosts. Those boys have to put up with a lot of crap!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Are you going in for officer then?
are they disregarding your school marks and concentrating on your degree?

Just ive had the experence where my degree was ignored and they there trying to say I wasnt good enough due to Maths (even though ive done things to improve the mark)
Well, i've checked with OASC in the past and they were happy with what I had qualification wise. I'm sure to get an awkward question or two about my school days, but that was a long time ago and there's going to be too much to cover ina 40 minute interview...

How do you mean you "wasn't good enough due to Maths"? How did they ignore your degree?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
haha you gotta love the provosts. Those boys have to put up with a lot of crap!
Don't I know it
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So what do provosts do then? not taking the mick, seriously interested.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, i've checked with OASC in the past and they were happy with what I had qualification wise. I'm sure to get an awkward question or two about my school days, but that was a long time ago and there's going to be too much to cover ina 40 minute interview...

How do you mean you "wasn't good enough due to Maths"? How did they ignore your degree?
Well the Afco Corporal just ignored the Degree, didnt want to discuss anything about it and asked just asked me about my english and maths at school for standard grades, they want level 3 or better, I got a 3 in english but a 4 in Maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads