BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
So what do provosts do then? not taking the mick, seriously interested.
provosts are military police officers. They get to do fun things like base crowd control on a staturday night with a visiting commando of marines lol. oh the stories...
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Well the Afco Corporal just ignored the Degree, didnt want to discuss anything about it and asked just asked me about my english and maths at school for standard grades, they want level 3 or better, I got a 3 in english but a 4 in Maths
when I went for officer I had 1's in my standrad grades but the RAF wouldn't take them because they were american results, so they used my degree instead. I think that they will firstly take your standard grades/highers and then if they need to they will take your uni results into account.
Arch-Angel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
when I went for officer I had 1's in my standrad grades but the RAF wouldn't take them because they were american results, so they used my degree instead. I think that they will firstly take your standard grades/highers and then if they need to they will take your uni results into account.
Yes, unless I'm mistaken, even with a degree you have to have C grade passes (or better!) in GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent). I suppose that's because you can get degrees in anything these days - Swansea Higher Institute are offering a surfing degree next year!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
Hey Wzz, how often do you fly, say hours per week? or does flying time differ drastically week in week out? How many hours of prep do you put into a sortie? Also, as an officer are you responsible for others on the ground? Besides flying and prep for flying what else is there job wise to occupy your time?
Varies massively by rank, role, experience etc. Hours per week goes from 0 to maybe 10, but then again if you're a Hercules co-pilot running routes to the Gulf or something at the start of Op TELIC then you'l probably get a hell of a lot more than that.

Each sortie through training requires a few hours of prep. A training navigation test might take 5-6 hours, a formation trip maybe just 30 mins. While junior, you're not responsible for anyone on the ground, and pick up very few secondary duties until you're a bit more experienced.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
provosts are military police officers. They get to do fun things like base crowd control on a staturday night with a visiting commando of marines lol. oh the stories...
The RAF Police are employed with the "hands on" policing in such instances - but also do Special Investigations (CID is the best "civvy" description I can give) at varying levels. Also deal with security of bases, aircraft, etc.

The Provost Officer has to oversee all of this and manage it effectively. Howver, Provost officers must also be able to investgate crime - very serious cases or cases involving other officers as suspects will be dealt with by an officer.

Mind you - i'd love to hear the stories!!!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
While junior, you're not responsible for anyone on the ground, and pick up very few secondary duties until you're a bit more experienced.
Would that generally apply through all branches - I seem to recall that - as an NCO anyway! - you get a few months grace from secondary duties on arrival at a new unit before you start picking up secondary duties. Does the same basic principle apply when commissioned?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's very different for aircrew. Through training; which remember can stretch to 5 years for fast-jet pilots before they're anything resembling combat ready; there's just no time. Afterwards, there are a bunch of squadron secondary duties you're more likely to be saddled with. My current lot have a couple of guys on the mess committee and a couple running sports clubs, the rest all concentrate on squadron duties.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's very different for aircrew. Through training; which remember can stretch to 5 years for fast-jet pilots before they're anything resembling combat ready; there's just no time. Afterwards, there are a bunch of squadron secondary duties you're more likely to be saddled with. My current lot have a couple of guys on the mess committee and a couple running sports clubs, the rest all concentrate on squadron duties.
Essentially the "tick in the box" secondary duties - don't worry, I'm not trying to score a cheap hit; I've seen how busy the flight crews are in flight planning - working out of trade at the moment providing indirect support.

Speaking of secondary duties - whilst I'm expecting OASC to bring up the subject, should I expect to go into some depth on the subject?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
Speaking of secondary duties - whilst I'm expecting OASC to bring up the subject, should I expect to go into some depth on the subject?
No, I just got asked what I may have to do, and I just mentioned the Sports team stuff. Nothing in the interview gets probed in too much depth (unless you try and bull****) 'cos there just isn't time!
jamesfyvie
Report 15 years ago
Off to OASC next week, a bit of silly question but what is suitable to wear in the day time. I know its a suit if in the mess in the evening, but what do you wear when doing the aptitude tests, I presume you wear the suit again for the interview?
Also I ve found it difficult to find any detailed info on pilot training. I know where you go and what you fly, but what do you actually study?? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
Off to OASC next week, a bit of silly question but what is suitable to wear in the day time. I know its a suit if in the mess in the evening, but what do you wear when doing the aptitude tests, I presume you wear the suit again for the interview?
Suit for the whole of Part 1. Overalls for Part 2 (but still suit in the mess).

Also I ve found it difficult to find any detailed info on pilot training. I know where you go and what you fly, but what do you actually study?? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
I'll leave that to Wzz
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
Cheers
not sure but good luck next week!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Suit for the whole of Part 1. Overalls for Part 2 (but still suit in the mess).

I'll leave that to Wzz
you getting nervous about the 5th yet? I'm sure you'll be fine! Hows the RAF forum going btw? I was banned (I'm such a rebel)
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you getting nervous about the 5th yet? I'm sure you'll be fine! Hows the RAF forum going btw? I was banned (I'm such a rebel)
Hmm, not really, i've done my fair share of being nervous about my RAF application and got it out of my system! I hope i'll know by the end of next week (lol, Friday 13th probably!)

What's this about you being banned?!!!! Is that the forum I got a bit narky on after someone said this thread should be killed off?!!! Madness
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Hmm, not really, i've done my fair share of being nervous about my RAF application and got it out of my system! I hope i'll know by the end of next week (lol, Friday 13th probably!)

What's this about you being banned?!!!! Is that the forum I got a bit narky on after someone said this thread should be killed off?!!! Madness
raf-froum.cjb.net. The one I helped set up and now I'm banned from it for having an opinion. ah well. So do you have a back up plan just in case? I still havent heard from AFCO yet. I have such itchy feet!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
raf-froum.cjb.net. The one I helped set up and now I'm banned from it for having an opinion. ah well. So do you have a back up plan just in case? I still havent heard from AFCO yet. I have such itchy feet!
Yeah i've got a Grad management trainee job starting Sept in London which is all agreed! Obviously i'd rather the RAF came off but if it doesn't my Plan B isn't such a bad job.
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
Anyone going to OASC on 7th September?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by js_atco)
Anyone going to OASC on 7th September?
that was my original date but I dropped officer a couple weeks ago for trades
Defence
Report 15 years ago
Does any one know what the security check is about?

I wasn't born in the UK - I came here some years ago. I wish to apply to the Intelligence branch, but fear that I might not pass the security check.

Help.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
that was my original date but I dropped officer a couple weeks ago for trades
how come you droped officer? Does that mean you'll be a techniction now and not an engineer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed