Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well i guess the logical thing to do is go back and ask to speak to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    hey my name is Xerxina and ive just finished my first year of A-levels. Ive been reading quite a few of the threads on this forum about entering the RAF and they have been really useful, so firstly thanks!!

Ive also just read what some other person said above about going to the AFCO and having a chat etc. Well ive booked an appointment for myself and was wondering what I shoud expect. Apparantly it is just a chat but Im still not too sure. Im hoping that the fact that Im a member of the ATC and have been for quite a while will work to my advantage but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Also just one last thing. Someone mentioned about "mickey mouse" degrees. Im hoping to take geography as a degree next year. would that be classed as a "mickey mouse" degree??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xena)
    hey my name is Xerxina and ive just finished my first year of A-levels. Ive been reading quite a few of the threads on this forum about entering the RAF and they have been really useful, so firstly thanks!!

Ive also just read what some other person said above about going to the AFCO and having a chat etc. Well ive booked an appointment for myself and was wondering what I shoud expect. Apparantly it is just a chat but Im still not too sure. Im hoping that the fact that Im a member of the ATC and have been for quite a while will work to my advantage but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Also just one last thing. Someone mentioned about "mickey mouse" degrees. Im hoping to take geography as a degree next year. would that be classed as a "mickey mouse" degree??
    I don't think the RAF really care about what degree you do. I wouldn't class geography as a mickey mouse degree. Underwater basket weaving on the other hand ...

ReputationRep:
    Being a cadet will give you an advantage, but dont be surprized if all they want to know is what rank you have dispite all thre other stuff you have done as a cadet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    I don't think the RAF really care about what degree you do. I wouldn't class geography as a mickey mouse degree. Underwater basket weaving on the other hand ...
    And what exactly is wrong with that? I got a first in underwater basket weaving, although I did an extended module on high altitude knitting...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    She didn't feel I was qualified enough and kept trying to discourage me, she had a habit of saying its going to be so very very dificault, she only really concentrated on Scottish standard grades and ignored my degree (someone posted that anyone can get a degree, but with the one ive got, if you cant grasp computing programming or management ideologies your buggered). That's what got me the most.
    She talked about debating clubs, all well and good but if one exists in my area, I'd be impressed.
    I understand the raf are very pro sports, but about the person that doesn't enjoy sports much, I mean a game of football just doesn't appeal one bit to me. I'd play badminton but clubs just don't seem to exist in fife and the support in Scotland for it is much lower then in England, so only choice would be to take a friend willing to play
    Might have been me that mentioned that "anyone can get a degree"...

For what I've been told (in briefings and the like), they only want to know if your qualifications meet the minimum standard. If they do great, but they won't dwell on how great you are... if you have a 1st, but don't have GCSE English, then they are going to bring up your English.

Re debating clubs and sport, can you set one up? how many other candidates are there in the area who would join in (perhaps the AFCO will tell you)? Learn another sport (squash perhaps); it won't harm your motivation "score" when you say that you got involved in another sport to get fit, etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Might have been me that mentioned that "anyone can get a degree"...

For what I've been told (in briefings and the like), they only want to know if your qualifications meet the minimum standard. If they do great, but they won't dwell on how great you are... if you have a 1st, but don't have GCSE English, then they are going to bring up your English.

Re debating clubs and sport, can you set one up? how many other candidates are there in the area who would join in (perhaps the AFCO will tell you)? Learn another sport (squash perhaps); it won't harm your motivation "score" when you say that you got involved in another sport to get fit, etc etc...
    no offense but an organisation that doesn't take into account your degree is not an organisation worth joining, I'm sure they look at your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya all, haven't been visiting the forum for a while (sorry). Great stuff still going through. Anyway, im really concerned aout the budget cuts!! I will be getting an interview in january for oacs, however ive heard that one of the top military 'dudes' has said that they could do with less pilots.This is very concerning as this is my main branch that im applying. So do you think that it is worth still applying for at all? I mean what would be the point in going through all the tests and interviews just to be told to come back in a year or so because the numbers are too much. Im 22 just now, by march ill be 23 so you can see i dont have much time to wait a year. However im still gonna try but any comments on what you all think would be great and any tips on the interview and if successful any tips on the oacs tests wold also be great.
    I apologise for such a long reply (hehe).

Henry :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    no offense but an organisation that doesn't take into account your degree is not an organisation worth joining, I'm sure they look at your degree.
    Look yes... but if your level of education meets the required standard then that's all they will care about. In my opinion (and this opinion is well supported via briefing and the like), OASC is far more interested in your reasons for applying, your motivation, determination etc. etc. Just because you have a degree, doesn't mean you'll be given an invite to IOT - you will have to demonstrate your abilities during selection.

Don't get me wrong - having a 1st is not going to harm your chances. But if you turn up at OASC unfit, not motivated etc., your degree won't help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wing Commander)
    Hiya all, haven't been visiting the forum for a while (sorry). Great stuff still going through. Anyway, im really concerned aout the budget cuts!! I will be getting an interview in january for oacs, however ive heard that one of the top military 'dudes' has said that they could do with less pilots.This is very concerning as this is my main branch that im applying. So do you think that it is worth still applying for at all? I mean what would be the point in going through all the tests and interviews just to be told to come back in a year or so because the numbers are too much. Im 22 just now, by march ill be 23 so you can see i dont have much time to wait a year. However im still gonna try but any comments on what you all think would be great and any tips on the interview and if successful any tips on the oacs tests wold also be great.
    I apologise for such a long reply (hehe).

Henry :eek:
    Have you just finished university? If yes or no, you cant wait any longer to apply for pilot so go for it in january. Yes they are making budget cuts and in the grand scheme of things there will be fewer operating aircraft and pilots, (Jaguars in particular - watch ur back Wzz, lol). Don't be put of by the cuts, they will always be recruiting pilots but fewer of them. So go for it. Chances are you will be to old to reapply in a year.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to start my honours year in september, but they know this anyway, thats why ive a january slot instead of now. Also the WC that is going to interview me told me that this would be a better time to have it. Idont know why but who knows eh? Well thanks for your input and i hope everything turns out alright.

Cheers

Henry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Look yes... but if your level of education meets the required standard then that's all they will care about. In my opinion (and this opinion is well supported via briefing and the like), OASC is far more interested in your reasons for applying, your motivation, determination etc. etc. Just because you have a degree, doesn't mean you'll be given an invite to IOT - you will have to demonstrate your abilities during selection.

Don't get me wrong - having a 1st is not going to harm your chances. But if you turn up at OASC unfit, not motivated etc., your degree won't help!
    hey i wish i'd got a 1st

but thats not what i said, i'm saying that the degree does matter, if there are two candidates who are equally motivated and they just ignore the fact one has a degree then they'd be being a little dumb. And of course a degree isn't a free entry in to the RAF or any organisation. But an organisation who only wants you to meet the minimum qualifications and ignores anything you get beyond that isn't a very forward looking organisation so i believe the RAF do look at your degree if you have one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wing Commander)
    So do you think that it is worth still applying for at all? I mean what would be the point in going through all the tests and interviews just to be told to come back in a year or so because the numbers are too much.
    Perhaps with that attitude you shouldn't bother. After all, it's a lot of effort to go to your AFCO, more effort to go to OASC, more to get through IOT, EFT, BFJT, AFT, FJTW, your OCU, and you might get chopped at any time, so hey, maybe you won't be good enough, so why bother trying....?

Please....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Perhaps with that attitude you shouldn't bother. After all, it's a lot of effort to go to your AFCO, more effort to go to OASC, more to get through IOT, EFT, BFJT, AFT, FJTW, your OCU, and you might get chopped at any time, so hey, maybe you won't be good enough, so why bother trying....?

Please....
    Hi there Wzz, i didnt mean it like that. I have made a lot of effort in prparing for the interview, possible testing such as fitness, maths, multi task coordination etc. I just meant that from what i heard would it be worth the while as the possibilities of getting through for pilot are extremely limited. I also dont like they way you put you comment! It says to me that you dont think i have not and will not be able to put in the effort required to be successful. I have been putting alot of effort in preparing for applying for 3 years and also concentrating on uni and other personal things. So from all that 'effort' im i year away from an excellent honours degree in physics and mathematics, a continuing knowledge about the raf for the interviews, joined 2 outdoor activity clubs, practicing 2 chinese martial arts, member of 2 societies and i work part time, ALL just to improve my application and self being to show the raf that i can be the right person. SO i think I DO bother and my attitude is always positive but realistic due the current events affecting the military, and anyway its easy for you to say thing that you do as yoy are already in raf doing what you want to do! It is very hard for new applicants now so we all have to be realistic about everything and work very hard and because of the budget cuts, working even harder might not be good enough. All i wanted to know was that if anyone heard of a different opinion on the matter and if they are still gonna recruit for pilots.
    I'm sorry if this all sounds offensive to you but i just dont like it when some one says i havent got the attitude for it and i dont bother what happens.
    Ive read through your advice and comments and they have been helpful and this ranting and raving is not personally directed at you.

Henry :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    WC I can understand where you're coming from . I'm in the very early stages of my application in applying for a 6th form scholarship. I am quite worried about the effects of the defense cuts and how these will impact on scholarships and bursaries. The chances are that competition will become increasingly fierce. This means we will just have to work harder and longer to get that elusive place.

Nikki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Lol, and even if I did (because I did pass the aptitude ), i'm too short and not heavy enough!!

The meeting is this Thursday and I reckon I should hear within a week of that.

Have fun at Shawbury
    Hellooo! Just got back from Shawbury, what a great place! Spent time touring all of the CATCS facilities... very smart indeed. Also spent plenty of time eating and drinking in the Officer's mess, which gave me a great insight into what Officer life is like.

ATC is definitely for me, and I can't wait to get on OASC on 7th Sept :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else on the site going for medical officer. If so, what stages are you at?

ReputationRep:
    My Girlfriend was looking at Medical Officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)

Please....
    Ooohh!! Claws out!

So many abbreviations Wzz, even I couldn't keep up with them

ReputationRep:
    I've been following this thread for a few weeks and just wondered if you'd heard anything yet icklecathy?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.