RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Locost Builder
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mcm9H)
Hello again... and does the RAF have any height requirements, I am 16yrs old and I am just below 6'3" tall...

Thanks

You won't have any problems with ground trades, however, you ARE probably going to be too tall for Pilot and WSO (Wzzz will confirm both).
If it's flying you are interested in then the WSOp branches might be an option - although there are limitations of 189cm for Crewman (S and R).
Ask your AFCO for the data sheets for current WSOp branches and see what you think.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mcm9H)
Hello again... and does the RAF have any height requirements, I am 16yrs old and I am just below 6'3" tall...

Thanks
No it's more to do with dimensions, eg: knee to buttock length, and things like that.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Talk about making you sweat it out - don't they realise what people are going through having to wait so long!!
Yes I think they realise, but no, I don't think they care, and I think it probably carries on that way once you are in.....i'm put off by the whole process I have to admit
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Yes I think they realise, but no, I don't think they care, and I think it probably carries on that way once you are in.....i'm put off by the whole process I have to admit

have you got another job or career to do wilst you're waiting?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hang on in there, you've only a very short time to wait now. You'll probably be jumping up and down with happiness once you get your letter (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you )
MATHILDA
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
What profession are you going in to? Did you have to go through the OASC selection process at Cranwell ?

I will be going through OASC in Jan/Feb 2005 for a scholarship/sponsorship for medical officer. I've been trying to find out about the aptitude tests from someone who has gone down the professionally qualified route. Did you have to take them, and if so, did they differ from the pilot aptitude tests?

Sorry for all the questions - just interested
Hi!
I'm going in as a nurse (hopefully) and am also going to OASC in Jan/Feb so may see you there. I went through the whole process a few years back and was accepted and then they changed their minds at the last minute.. I was too fat! Have recently been on a familiarisation trip to Cranwell where we were told we still had to do the aptitude tests so will check this out as info from icklekathy has been right to date. I'm already qualified I'm afraid so can't tell you much about scholarships. I DO know they are offering bounties (not the choc bars) to qualified surgeons and anaesthetists and ITU trained nurses to join up.. and its not peanuts.. Hope to see you at OASC
MATHILDA
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mcm9H)

Thanks
My brother is six foot 4 and when he applied he was told he was too tall to be anything other than a Hercules pilot because of his height.. if he had attempted ejection in a fighter he would have amputated his legs! Seems that as you are only 16 with several years of growth to go you may be out of luck when it comes to fast jets. He's now happy as ground crew so there are some happy endings
mcm9H
Report 14 years ago
Ok thanks a lot. I guess I should go for an airline pilot then... hope I won't be too tall for that too!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by andrew_200)
hey, i wouldnt worry about your accent. as long as people understand you and they probably dont give. im welsh so i have a bit of an accent, but it wont stop me trying
I agree - I used to know a Group Captain (fairly senior officer rank) who had quite a strong northern accent. His reply to "but I've got an accent" (I'm welsh as well) was "so do I, it didn't stop me and I'm a Group Captain".

As long as you can be understood and can communicate your ideas, plans, etc. etc. then your accent will not be a problem. If your accent is very strong and lots of people cannot understand you then maybe you will need to address the issue. But don't try to put on an "officer" accent, or act like the officer sterotype - the RAF is looking for leaders, not people who "talk tidy"!!!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
have you got another job or career to do wilst you're waiting?
This is the problem - I have been offered a really good Graduate job in London which starts the first week in September, and I now really want to take it.
LouBou75
Report 14 years ago
This is the problem - I have been offered a really good Graduate job in London which starts the first week in September, and I now really want to take it.
Hi, I check the site regularly to see if you've been accepted. Its like waiting for someone to have a baby, but worse!..................

As you know I went through the process back in May and have been injvited back next year. But the more I hear about your process I too am getting a little concerned about the whole process but am keeping motivated.
I had an interview today and though I was successful I know its not for me. I have two more interviews next week.
I will certainly reapply next year and am working hard on keeping up all my hobbies and doing an outward bound course with the military in September.

Keep at it everyone, if its what you want, go for it. Its a tough time to be either in the services or applying. My boyfriend is in the RAF and can't wait to get out on a redundancy package, so lets hope once they are announced that the recuitment process will become less unpredicatable, like for ickle kath.

Good Luck
Lou x
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MATHILDA)
Hi!
I'm going in as a nurse (hopefully) and am also going to OASC in Jan/Feb so may see you there. I went through the whole process a few years back and was accepted and then they changed their minds at the last minute.. I was too fat! Have recently been on a familiarisation trip to Cranwell where we were told we still had to do the aptitude tests so will check this out as info from icklekathy has been right to date. I'm already qualified I'm afraid so can't tell you much about scholarships. I DO know they are offering bounties (not the choc bars) to qualified surgeons and anaesthetists and ITU trained nurses to join up.. and its not peanuts.. Hope to see you at OASC

Thanks for that. Hopefully see you there!!
Locost Builder
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LouBou75)
My boyfriend is in the RAF and can't wait to get out on a redundancy package
Lou, if your boyfriend is expecting some financial recompense then he'd better not hold his breath.
The powers that be have announced that the draw down in personnel will be done through not re-engaging people from 9 to 12 years and 12 to 15 years. Also after 22 years service you are unlikely to have your terms of service extended. There will be no redundancy payout as there was in 92/93.
Amazingly we are being cut by 15% accross the board, including my trade which is already under-manned by about 13%. Will we lose 2% of people to bring us in line ? No, 15% off the figure we are now. Gulf / Falklands annual holiday anyone?
In the past we have all been able to give '18 months notice', now the tables have turned and the Air Force can do the same too.
Why doesn't he just PVR (12 months or less - depending on trade) he could be out 3 months before his exit date if he has a firm job offer to go to.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Guess thats a bugger cos even if you can leave the job with 1 month notice you still have the contract for your house/flat to worry about. If the RAF give you the job do you know if they'll take that all into account and just give you a start date 6 months away?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
Guess thats a bugger cos even if you can leave the job with 1 month notice you still have the contract for your house/flat to worry about. If the RAF give you the job do you know if they'll take that all into account and just give you a start date 6 months away?
Hey everyone !

I got my letter yesterday and i'm pleasesd to tell you I was offered a place! Unfortunately they didn't offer me any of my chosen branches (Supply, Admin, Flight Ops), and wanted me to do Fighter Control instead.

I've decided that I don't want to be in the RAF so much that i'm prepared to do a job I don't want for the next 16 yrs so i'm turning my offer down. I'm happy with the job i've got in London so i'll be moving down there in the next few weeks to start!

I also got sent the report on my AFCO interview and OASC performance which makes very interesting reading! I'm pleased that I was good enough to get in, especially in the current situtaion (I think i'm the only one from my OASC to get an offer).

Anyway thanks all for your support, I will still be here to dish out advice (although not as regularly once I start a real job!!!) And I want to see how everyone else gets on in the process.

Oh, and for those applying now - I was offered an IOT date for Feb 2005, that's having done OASC in June so bear that in mind.

Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey everyone !

I got my letter yesterday and i'm pleasesd to tell you I was offered a place! Unfortunately they didn't offer me any of my chosen branches (Supply, Admin, Flight Ops), and wanted me to do Fighter Control instead.

I've decided that I don't want to be in the RAF so much that i'm prepared to do a job I don't want for the next 16 yrs so i'm turning my offer down. I'm happy with the job i've got in London so i'll be moving down there in the next few weeks to start!

I also got sent the report on my AFCO interview and OASC performance which makes very interesting reading! I'm pleased that I was good enough to get in, especially in the current situtaion (I think i'm the only one from my OASC to get an offer).

Anyway thanks all for your support, I will still be here to dish out advice (although not as regularly once I start a real job!!!) And I want to see how everyone else gets on in the process.

Oh, and for those applying now - I was offered an IOT date for Feb 2005, that's having done OASC in June so bear that in mind.

Hey thats brilliant, well done even though you're not taking it still an achievment to get in!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooohh!! Claws out!

So many abbreviations Wzz, even I couldn't keep up with them
... then you haven't been paying attention
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't honestly know, I think the best thing to do is ring your local AFCO, they have the most acurate and up to date info.
It'd be nice, wouldn't it...
Rhys
Report 14 years ago
Congratulations on the achievement ickecathy. Hope the other job is worth it!

Wzz, how much leave do you get per year?
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It'd be nice, wouldn't it...
Oi! Aren't you gonna offer me your congratualtions ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads