RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

LouBou75
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=icklecathy]Hey everyone !

I got my letter yesterday and i'm pleasesd to tell you I was offered a place! Unfortunately they didn't offer me any of my chosen branches

CONGRATULATIONS. Not quite what you wanted but an acheivement all the same. Think you a making the right decision. I am going to apply again next year but like you, there is no point doing a job you don't want to do.

I have three more interviews next week, so I'm quite excited to and the job title has officer in it!!!

take care and good luck in London

Lou x
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LouBou75)
CONGRATULATIONS. Not quite what you wanted but an acheivement all the same. Think you a making the right decision. I am going to apply again next year but like you, there is no point doing a job you don't want to do.

I have three more interviews next week, so I'm quite excited to and the job title has officer in it!!!

take care and good luck in London

Lou x
Cheers I feel like i've made the right decision, you just get a feeling about these things.

Hope your interviews go well next week - i'm going house hunting!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Hey everyone !

I got my letter yesterday and i'm pleasesd to tell you I was offered a place! Unfortunately they didn't offer me any of my chosen branches (Supply, Admin, Flight Ops), and wanted me to do Fighter Control instead.

CONGRATULATIONS You shoudl be really proud of what you've achieved. At least you can say you were able to make the decision of whether to go into the RAF- lots of people don't get offers at all.

All the very best for your future career, and good luck with the house hunting!
MATHILDA
Report 15 years ago

I've decided that I don't want to be in the RAF so much that i'm prepared to do a job I don't want for the next 16 yrs so i'm turning my offer down. I'm happy with the job i've got in London so i'll be moving down there in the next few weeks to start!

Icklecathy
Well done on being accepted and for having the courage to turn them down rather than do a job you would not like. When I went for my first OASC they offered me fighter control too.. and I was applying as a nurse and was far too old even then for anything else. Have fun in London and keep your sanity while there. All the very best with the house hunting
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
I got my letter yesterday and i'm pleasesd to tell you I was offered a place! Unfortunately they didn't offer me any of my chosen branches (Supply, Admin, Flight Ops), and wanted me to do Fighter Control instead.

I also got sent the report on my AFCO interview and OASC performance which makes very interesting reading! I'm pleased that I was good enough to get in, especially in the current situtaion (I think i'm the only one from my OASC to get an offer).
You should be well pleased with your performance. As far as I know, the criteria for Fighter Controller is higher than Supply and Admin Branches, So well done. The fact you weren't offered your branch choices doesn't reflect on you personally. It's all a numbers game, I'm afraid. Supply & demand.

Good luck with your new job, Cathy.
Keep posting too.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cathy
Glad to see you where given the choice over what you want to do in the end. Its better that way rather then forced into a route.
All the best!
jamesfyvie
Report 15 years ago
Got back from OASC yesterday, probably 3 of the most intense, enjoyable but very intense days ive ever had. Not sure how i got on though, its difficult to judge exactly what they look for. But out of the original 26 or so, only 11 other comrades and myself got to the 2nd stage. I think they are getting very very selective.
Good luck to everyone who is going. I suggest detailed reading on current affairs, world wide and domestic, best to have a view on the subject too. Also know a fair bit about NATO, I know the interviews are different for each person, but most of the people at my OASC had their NATO knowledge probed.
JMC
Report 15 years ago
What did you go for James?

Looking to go for my OASC soon and was wondering if you could give me some mor egeneral advice on it?

What current affairs did you discuss and some of the other questions you were asked and also what the leadership excercises were like?

Thanks for any help.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JMC)

Looking to go for my OASC soon and was wondering if you could give me some mor egeneral advice on it?

What current affairs did you discuss and some of the other questions you were asked and also what the leadership excercises were like?

Thanks for any help.
I'd find that reallly useful too
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
Me three
jamesfyvie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JMC)

Thanks for any help.
I applied for Pilot, WSO, Regiment and Intelligence.
Its important to research your current affairs. I was asked about major events in the world over the last year. Its good to mention 4-5 subjects. I mentioned sudan, iraq, iran and the congo. They questioned me about the congo. Its important to understand the event rather than just have a sound bite to reel off. That way you have a stance on the subject and can hopefully answer any questions.
They then asked me about domestic affairs, you should not just expect to be asked about military related subjects. I was questioned about the public health service, others were asked about public transport and the "nanny" state. Again its good to have a view.
They also asked a lot about NATO, how many countries, which are the newest members, why are they involved here and not the UN? I did not know all the answers and if you don't tell them so. Although I did make some educated guesses.
One of the questions was why are NATO based in the Balkans and not the UN? I did not know the answer, but I did know that the Balkans are in the central europe area and so I answered that the it is because it would fall under the NATO area of influence. The interviewing officer, replied that it was a possibility. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not, but i did make it to the 2nd stage. Over 15 others didn't.
Fitness is important, this exercise is a freebie. A few people are a little blasé about it, you really shouldn't be. You might do sport every week, but still get out there running. The guys who were over confident because they played sports only just reached the satisfactory level, and some didn't. This is an area to easily get 2 extra clicks on your score. It can make up for a weak area and swing you to get through. I cannot emphasise how important it really is. Go for a 20-30 min jog every few days, its not a long time, its easy to do and there are no real excuses for not doing it. I reached level 12, and did get the 2 points, but in my final debrief they still said its important to maintain this level and maybe try and improve upon it.
Finally in the hangar stages try and show physical bravery, be willing to take a risk with a causing a penalty. If it pays off, and often it does you will look better. Don't cause a risk to your safety and the others in your syndicate, but do try and push your limits. There was one point where i was standing in a fenced area, on top of a metal cylinder, which was on top of two pieces of wood holding a plank whilst a 14 stone man walked up it. Don't risk your health but do test your strength.
I hope this is helpful. Loads of people say you will enjoy it, and whilst youre there you start to think these people must be mad. But when its all said and done you understand what they mean, you learn a lot about yourself and about pushing yourself to the limits.

Good luck and best wishes to all going.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
I applied for Pilot, WSO, Regiment and Intelligence.
Just to let you know Int is closed for this year. Good luck with the others
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
Congratulations on the achievement ickecathy. Hope the other job is worth it!

Wzz, how much leave do you get per year?
6 weeks; but you don't take it whenever you like, and you can't take it during courses.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oi! Aren't you gonna offer me your congratualtions ?
Congratulations You would have been a fine scopie.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
Hey all,

I recently came back from OASC trying to get a pilot/6th form scholarship. the three days were most definatly the hardest, most stressful and scary days of my life. If you are going to OASC soon i would try your hardest to pass apptitude for you chosen branch i.e pilot was my choice. out of the group before us and my group which numbered approx 45 people going for pilot there were only 6 who passed pilot apptituded. It is the hardest exam of your life and wats more there is very little yo can do to revise for it as it is mostly a measurment of natural abbility, however there are some places where you can revise for, hand eye can be improved with flight sims or things like tennis or sailing. number recall which i and most of my friends found the hardest in the pilot apptitude section can be practised i.e remebering car number plates or similar....but be warned it starts off with a 6 digit number and increases to a 12+ digit number....bloody hard when you get 5 seconds to see it!!!...the aptitude test despit it been bloody hard is actually really fun in some parts especially some of the multi tasking exercises!!.....

Medically you cant do anything about but the interview is dam hard too, sorry but its true :rolleyes: if like me you are one of the last ppl to have an interview be prepare to talk about something obscure when asked about current affairs because they have heard about defence cuts, iraq and anything else similar 10 times before you get in. Try having a slightly different, maybe not as important news story which u can speak about and try to have an oppinion on mst things but dont make one up!!!...its sooo obvious. I was asked on asylm for 10 minutes on what i would do if i was in a position to make any policy changes!!...so dont go in to your interview expecting to speak about iraq or nething military cos they have heard it soo many times!!

Also remeber your never alone when your at Cranwell even in the candidates mess everything you do will be noted so try to remember where you are because in the group before mine many where told off by officers and sergents and suprisingly they didnt get in !! but dont let the presence of cameras, officers and NCOs make you feel unnatural, be yourself but remember where you are. -> sorry if the spelling is bad....im an awful speller

Hope that helps anybody who is going to Cranwell in the near future, dont take anything i say as gospil but its what i experienced when i was there in august.

I've just got to wait for the letter now....please God let it be good news!!!

if you have any questions you want to ask me my email is [email protected]

Good luck all bye Phil
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
sorry if the spelling is bad....im an awful speller
Phil, I'm afraid people will always judge you on your spelling and grammar.
I would concur with what you said about being watched all the time. They will want to know how you behave socially, when not under pressure. I bet those candidates are kicking themselves for playing the fool now.
Good luck with your application.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
I agree but im working all the time to improve my spelling, my grammar is alot better tho, just my spelling lacks a bit. Yer the guys who played the fool looked completely gutted after their de-brief when they basically got *******ed for been complete arse throughout thier course, but to be frank it does serve them right and if they wanted it really bad i doubt they would have acted in the way they did, so it showed how commited they were really.

thanks for the good luck message

Phil :cool:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
Also remeber your never alone when your at Cranwell even in the candidates mess everything you do will be noted so try to remember where you are because in the group before mine many where told off by officers and sergents and suprisingly they didnt get in !! but dont let the presence of cameras, officers and NCOs make you feel unnatural, be yourself but remember where you are.
A bit conspiracy-theory ish. When your boarding officers arrive int he Candidates' Mess and have a drink, they are looking at how you act in a relaxed environment; so you're right, if you have your tie around your head and are throwing up in a plant pot, it'll look poor. But they're not scrutinising you closely every seconds; you are allowed to, and encouraged to relax. It's better if you do!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)
As far as I know, the criteria for Fighter Controller is higher than Supply and Admin Branches, So well done.
Pretty much correct; the aptitude requirements are certainly higher, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that she passed the requirement for God's own branch earlier on.... so she's probably quite happy with her aptitudes
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
But out of the original 26 or so, only 11 other comrades and myself got to the 2nd stage. I think they are getting very very selective.
From experience, that varies so much. Remember that you've seen one board; working there you see plenty. I've seen every candidate make it through to part two, and I've seen very very few make it through; it's random because the way we allocate people to boards has virtually nothing to do with their ability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.66%
Excited (154)
9.11%
Worried (303)
17.92%
Terrified (376)
22.24%
Meh (162)
9.58%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise