Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
Fitness is important, this exercise is a freebie. A few people are a little blasé about it, you really shouldn't be. You might do sport every week, but still get out there running. The guys who were over confident because they played sports only just reached the satisfactory level, and some didn't. This is an area to easily get 2 extra clicks on your score. It can make up for a weak area and swing you to get through.
... which is one of the things about OASC I don't like. Anyone can get fit enough to pass IOT well within a couple of months. If they're worried about fitness for people in the RAF, they should make the fitness test more frequent than yearly.

The idea that a board will reject an excellent applicant because he happens to have neglected his fitness during a difficult academic year while a poorer applicant gets in because he happens to be fitter *at the time they go through OASC* is ridiculous. It should be a complete freebie, so people can see what level of fitness is required.

You can't learn initiative or aptitude, or raw intelligence in a couple of months between OASC and IOT. You *can* get fit in that time!
Philos
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hey Wzz i got my letter today,

Not the news id been hoping for but id did say they would be delighted to accept a application for next summers direct entrant or univ bursary. Does the wording in the letter mean anything at all? :confused: As i didnt get in this time does it mean i have no chance for next time :confused: , hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks alot

Phil
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
Not the news id been hoping for but id did say they would be delighted to accept a application for next summers direct entrant or univ bursary.
Bad luck Phil. It's a hard year to get in.

Does the wording in the letter mean anything at all? As i didnt get in this time does it mean i have no chance for next time
The letter's standard. It will say one of the following;

1). Congratulations, you're in.
2). Congratulations, you passed, but not that well, so you're in the pool fighting for a place with other guys who also passed.
3). You failed, please come back next year.
4). You failed, please come back in 2 years / after university.
5). You failed, go away.

You've had a number 3). This can mean a couple of things. You might have passed, but only resolutely stuck by one branch. If they give all the places available for that to better candidates, and you won't accept anything else, then even if you pass they can't offer you a commission.

Also, you might just have been below the standard.

The point is, if they say they'd be delighted to accept an application in a year, and you want to join the RAF, then why on earth would you do anything other than what they say? This letter means they saw enough potential in you to get you in, but it might require a less competitive year, or a year of growing up, getting fit, maturing and developing on your part.

If they want another application, give them one. It's my stock bit of advice for the interview question "what will you do if you're unsuccessful with this application?" Correct answer; "whatever your letter tells me to do!"
Philos
Report 15 years ago
Thanks wzz

Cheared me up a bit yesterday haha, another question i dont no whether you'll be able to answer but, i left my ATC squadron bout a year ago because basically, the CO and the Warrent officer hated each other and the sqdn was just left to its own devices whilst the two adults had punch ups n played chicken in thier cars along the air field. About 2 weeks after i left the sqdn was forcefully closed down i left by the way as a cadet even tho i was treated like n nco n did an ncos job.

My main problem is if i was to rejoin i would have to become a sergent by late April becase ill be 18 by then!! and i would ave to leave other wise. Do you think its worth me joining again if there is every possibility that id have to leave in 6 months or so. Would you advise me speaking to the nearest Sqdns CO to find out if he can help me in the rank department or do you think i should possible join as a Staff Sergent??

If any body else can offer me some advice then id be grateful.

Thanks muchly

Phil
Bilko1
Report 15 years ago
Thanks wzz

Cheared me up a bit yesterday haha, another question i dont no whether you'll be able to answer but, i left my ATC squadron bout a year ago because basically, the CO and the Warrent officer hated each other and the sqdn was just left to its own devices whilst the two adults had punch ups n played chicken in thier cars along the air field. About 2 weeks after i left the sqdn was forcefully closed down i left by the way as a cadet even tho i was treated like n nco n did n nco,
Philos, check your PM
Philos
Report 15 years ago
Sorry im not familiar with that abriviation, wat does PM mean apart from Priminister??, sorry I'm been a bit thick i no hahaha :rolleyes:
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
Sorry im not familiar with that abriviation, wat does PM mean apart from Priminister??, sorry I'm been a bit thick i no hahaha :rolleyes:
Private Message

Top right-hand side of the screen where it says,

"Welcome .........."
You last visited: x Days Ago at xx:xx
Private Messages: 1 Unread, total x."

Cwarranto on behalf of Bilko1
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
Hey Wzz, how much maths and what sort of math do you need to know for your job?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
the way we allocate people to boards has virtually nothing to do with their ability.
What does it have to do with? I'm not being disrespectful - just interested to know so I remember for my own boards!
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
Anybody know how many pilot bursaries are awarded to first year student applicants? Also say there are twenty bursary places would they allocate a certain amount for people applying during year one of uni?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've just got my GCSE results - 7A*s, 3A's - Top 5 in Country for Eng Lit. I am sooooooooo happy. That's the first obstacle out of the way to joining the RAF- HOORAY!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE ELSE WHO GETS RESULTS TODAY
Philos
Report 15 years ago
Nice on, on your results all, i got 3 Bs and a D in my ASlevels the other week so i was proper pleased, specially as i was predicted Cs n Ds!!

talk to you all soon bye
Phil
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered096)
Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already. They select people who they think have the qualities to become a pilot who are already in the armed forces, not just anybody with a degree in physics etc. The skills required are to join the armed forces, preferably the RAF but not necessarily, I knew someone that applied and was selected to train as a pilot from an army regiment and he was only a staff sergeant. You won't become a pilot simply with a degree though, you need to be military personnel first and 'work your way up'.

I'm currently serving in the Army and have applied to transfer across as an RAF Officer. I'm a Staff Segeant (Not ONLY a Staff Sergeant, as it takes a few years, a lot of hard work and a lot of exams to get to this rank). If anybody spends 10 years in the army they are simply too old to become RAF pilots, therefore they channel their skills into ground support roles.
The emphasis on selectio isn't based on how many years service you have completed, but instead looks at the individual person's traits, mannerisms, and above all their potential to become an officer. This applies to ANYBODY wishing to fill ANY role, be it on the ground or in the air.

Being in the services does not bias the committee's opinion, but it may help the candidate as they have the benefit of leadership experience and the confidence that goes with experience.

I'm at OASC next month, and to be honest I'm apprehensive myself. I have attended and passed similar boards, some harder, some easier, but each time they have always been hard and I have been apprehensive abouut the outcome. My advice to anyone is go there, be smart, be confident, and above all... BE YOURSELF!
john349uk
Report 15 years ago
Hi I have got a few questions regarding RAF recruitment I wonder if someone can help me with:

1. Why is the starting salary for NC aircrew higher than an Officer?
2. Is there strong competition for the WSO (electronic warfair) NC Aircrew branch?
3. What exactly NC aircrew means? As opposed to being an officer?
4. How much money an Officer or NC Aircrew recieves while training?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Can anyone clarify the BMI requirements for the medical? Surely if a person is 6ft, 14 stone, and with an athletic/toned build with a BMI of approx 27, this is better than someone who is 6ft, 14 stone and unfit/fat. The BMI is the same so is the person's build/frame/physical appearance taken into account or is it a definitive benchmark?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

(btw.. I'm talking about males, so no need for the ladies to panic.. except the unfit 6ft, 14 stone ones perhaps).
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Can anyone clarify the BMI requirements for the medical? Surely if a person is 6ft, 14 stone, and with an athletic/toned build with a BMI of approx 27, this is better than someone who is 6ft, 14 stone and unfit/fat. The BMI is the same so is the person's build/frame/physical appearance taken into account or is it a definitive benchmark?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

(btw.. I'm talking about males, so no need for the ladies to panic.. except the unfit 6ft, 14 stone ones perhaps).

Humm, see what you mean. Technically (and according to the BBC HEalth website, you are Overweight for your height, but as you say you're toned and athletic (basically you are health & fit).

I vaugly seem to remember a section on the Med form for build. Not too sure if the doctor fills it in, or the medical assistants who measure you.

If it was the doc, he/she would see your BMI, but comment on your build, which would be quite obvious as you are in the buff and there's no opportunity to breathe in for that period of time !! :eek: :mad:
thephenom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why are you so concerned with BMI results? It is irrelevant. All that does is measure body fat based on height and weight. It doesn't determine how fit someone REALLY is imo.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thephenom)
Why are you so concerned with BMI results? It is irrelevant. All that does is measure body fat based on height and weight. It doesn't determine how fit someone REALLY is imo.

I agree it doesn't matter. I can pass all the mandatory tests, I keep myself fit and train approx 4-5 times a week. My concern is that according to BMI figures I am indeed overweight, and as such could fail the medical if the examining officer decided to be pedantic.

If I were my supposed 'ideal' I would be a 12.5 stone stick insect and my fitness would be nowhere near what it is now. (I'd have to starve myself, not train, lose all muscle, fat, and probably a fair amount of skin and bone to achieve the weight).
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree it doesn't matter. I can pass all the mandatory tests, I keep myself fit and train approx 4-5 times a week. My concern is that according to BMI figures I am indeed overweight, and as such could fail the medical if the examining officer decided to be pedantic.

If I were my supposed 'ideal' I would be a 12.5 stone stick insect and my fitness would be nowhere near what it is now. (I'd have to starve myself, not train, lose all muscle, fat, and probably a fair amount of skin and bone to achieve the weight).
You're allowed to be 20% over the "ideal weight" that the RAF dictates (only 15% overwieght if you're going aircrew). They also consider if you're a small, medium or large frame which leads them to the weight you need to be. For 6ft and a large build you need to be below 15 stone (that is gen). Medium build you need to be nudging under 14 stone (a little approx. but essentially right).

I've been led to believe that if you're slightly overweight (2-3lb - or 1kg in new money!) OASC will not necessarily fail you; after all it's not that hard to shed a kg or two. Wzz might be able to confirm this...
McGeadie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know what to do if you are wanting the RAF to sponsor you to become a medical officer? I've sent away for an information pack but it's still not in

What do I need to qualify as a Medical Officer? What is the 24 week course comprised off?

Im also not the most healthy person in the world, 6 ft, 15 stone with toned arm and leg muscles but a fat gut. I have decent stamina but I cant run for the life of me... In the old part of Fight or Flight, I'd end up fighting :rolleyes:

McGeadie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (301)
34.28%
No (577)
65.72%

Watched Threads