Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flashman)
    Could someone tell me what level of mental arithmetic I should be at to be commissioned aircrew? for instance what kind of calculations should I be able to do in my head and what arithmetic will I encounter at OASC in the aptitude or group planning tasks?
    Just be good at it. If I tell you that the wind's coming from a certain direction at a certain speed, you need to be able to tell me what that means to your airspeed, what your groundspeed is, how it affects your fuel consumption, rate of descent for approaches etc. Practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
    I went to the careers office and they have asked me to get a letter from my doctor confiming i have never suffered from asthma. I did suffer slight symptoms around the age of 4 and was clear after 2 weeks on an inhaler and a course of drugs. I do not have a clue if this was genuine asthma. Does anyone know how strict they are on this, are they likely to reject me even on these slight symptoms?
    If this helps at all, i "suffered " from asthma at the age of 3 for about two weeks and i was told that i will not be able to apply for RAf aircrew at all, so obv was fairly upset as my dream was now over. I then seeked some advice and a doctor said that it may not be asthma and something else instead, as around that time they perceived something similar to asthma (if that makes sense) so i was advised to talk to my doctor. I wrote him a letter and he said that it was not asthma at all and i can confidentally tell the RAF that i have never suffered from asthma. Thought might help as i was in similar situation as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Just be good at it. If I tell you that the wind's coming from a certain direction at a certain speed, you need to be able to tell me what that means to your airspeed, what your groundspeed is, how it affects your fuel consumption, rate of descent for approaches etc. Practice!

where would you be able to get that sort of mathematics as oviously dont no the criteria and techniques for that ? is it a case if you are able to demonstrate your ability at mental arithmatic is good and you then develop them calculations once in trainin etc ? or am i bein thick and need to no that anyway ? I got a B in maths but bin a long while so better brush up on the skills before i go to OASC for the air uni (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Off to OASC on Tuesday. Doesn't look as though anyone from this forum is going (speak-up if I'm wrong!)

Revising like mad at the moment, especially the dredded mental arithmetic.

Got between 6 and 8 new stories from around the world, plus 4 or 5 uk slanted stories to mention during my interview. Not planning on discussing Iraq though... Think this could be a nasty ambush! I wouldn't be surprised if they still bring it up, but I know a few facts which should see me through.

Better go and have another run around the block now. So much to do, so little time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js_atco)
    Off to OASC on Tuesday. Doesn't look as though anyone from this forum is going (speak-up if I'm wrong!)

Revising like mad at the moment, especially the dredded mental arithmetic.

Got between 6 and 8 new stories from around the world, plus 4 or 5 uk slanted stories to mention during my interview. Not planning on discussing Iraq though... Think this could be a nasty ambush! I wouldn't be surprised if they still bring it up, but I know a few facts which should see me through.

Better go and have another run around the block now. So much to do, so little time!
    You could mention the russian school hostage situation, which is tragically very big news at the mo.

Anyway, the very best of luck and let us know how you get on.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by steve_nels)
    If this helps at all, i "suffered " from asthma at the age of 3 for about two weeks and i was told that i will not be able to apply for RAf aircrew at all, so obv was fairly upset as my dream was now over. I then seeked some advice and a doctor said that it may not be asthma and something else instead, as around that time they perceived something similar to asthma (if that makes sense) so i was advised to talk to my doctor. I wrote him a letter and he said that it was not asthma at all and i can confidentally tell the RAF that i have never suffered from asthma. Thought might help as i was in similar situation as you.
    Do remember the RAF will see your medical records; so if it says in them that it was asthma, get it changed. Also, I know at least one person refused because they were once on asthma medication; nothing to do with the condition though. Just tell the truth when you talk to the medical boards president after your medical; don't try to sneak things past.

If they get suspicious of something in your records, they'll bin you. And you won't be there to enter into discussion. Just ask while you have a chance to explain things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Do remember the RAF will see your medical records; so if it says in them that it was asthma, get it changed. Also, I know at least one person refused because they were once on asthma medication; nothing to do with the condition though. Just tell the truth when you talk to the medical boards president after your medical; don't try to sneak things past.

If they get suspicious of something in your records, they'll bin you. And you won't be there to enter into discussion. Just ask while you have a chance to explain things.
    Im assuming that it has been changed but will definately make sure and check. Thats quite worrying about the medications thing as i did use an inhalor for a couple of days so better et it checked ! Cheers for response

ReputationRep:
    where would you be able to get that sort of mathematics as oviously dont no the criteria and techniques for that ? is it a case if you are able to demonstrate your ability at mental arithmatic is good and you then develop them calculations once in trainin etc ? or am i bein thick and need to no that anyway ? I got a B in maths but bin a long while so better brush up on the skills before i go to OASC for the air uni (hopefully)
    Think about what's happening (in Wzz's example). If you're flying due north at 300mph say, you obviously cover 300 miles in an hour. Put a 20mph wind going east to west and working out your position sounds tricky? It's not, it's all vector maths!

It's very tricky to explain without a diagram - whilst flying north, you're being blown off your northernly course. Therefore, you have to fly into the wind slightly. Do some searches on the net for vectors. As long as you grasp the concept of it I think you'll be fine (Wzz will no doubt correct me if you need to do more).

ReputationRep:
    You can learn vector maths out of most A-level physics revision guides. If you have a B at GCSE in maths i doubt you will find it hard to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Think about what's happening (in Wzz's example). If you're flying due north at 300mph say, you obviously cover 300 miles in an hour. Put a 20mph wind going east to west and working out your position sounds tricky? It's not, it's all vector maths!

It's very tricky to explain without a diagram - whilst flying north, you're being blown off your northernly course. Therefore, you have to fly into the wind slightly. Do some searches on the net for vectors. As long as you grasp the concept of it I think you'll be fine (Wzz will no doubt correct me if you need to do more).
    Yes i know that i aint that bad lol did abit of navigation before so i know them sort of basics. I suppose generally thinking about it its all common sense at the end of the day with a lot of practice to get it, will study it carefully? think im just worried because my maths is fairly rusty at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    .... especially regarding things that I know less about, having only worked as an officer and in OASC recruitment. Thanks!
    No pressure then!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have two questions:

- anyone going to OASC on the 3rd October?
    - Anyone got tips for the apptitude tests? Anywhere I could download similar tests?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafaelshumy)
    Hi all,

I have two questions:

- anyone going to OASC on the 3rd October?
    - Anyone got tips for the apptitude tests? Anywhere I could download similar tests?

Cheers

I'm not going yet, but hoping to around early Jan time. If you read through this thread you will find a lot of useful info about OASC and apptitude tests. But be warned- this is a long thread;it took me a couple of hours to read!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    Aptitude tests - the pilot test battery
    1) Control of velocity - persuit tracking task using a joystick to direct a pointer on a target
    2) Instrument comprehension - You are shown the basic aircraft instrumentation and given verbal descriptions to match
    3) Sensory motor apparatus - Psychomotor test, basically hand, eye & foot co-ordination.
    4) Digital recall - they show you a number for so many seconds, the number disappears and you have to re-enter it. (goes up to 13 odd numbers!)
    5) Vigilance - imagine for example an excell spreadsheet, a single cell highlights and you have to enter the cell co-ordinates.
    You are given 5 1/2 hours to complete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    1) Control of velocity - persuit tracking task using a joystick to direct a pointer on a target
    2) Instrument comprehension - You are shown the basic aircraft instrumentation and given verbal descriptions to match
    3) Sensory motor apparatus - Psychomotor test, basically hand, eye & foot co-ordination.
    4) Digital recall - they show you a number for so many seconds, the number disappears and you have to re-enter it. (goes up to 13 odd numbers!)
    5) Vigilance - imagine for example an excell spreadsheet, a single cell highlights and you have to enter the cell co-ordinates.
    I can see why the Mess is so appitizing after going through all that.
    5 1/2 hours test, god, I hope they have some form of simple and quick method of getting the results, as i'd hate to be the one reviewing those.

anyways, Since thats the Pilot one, I'll asume this will be different for admin officer or other ground based roles ?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, if you apply for Weapons system officer, air traffic controller, fighter controller, intelligence officer and any NCO aircrew job you will sit aptitude tests. they are probably all different tests. you may have to do 2, 4 & 5 of the pilot test battery, i dont know!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Im assuming that it has been changed but will definately make sure and check. Thats quite worrying about the medications thing as i did use an inhalor for a couple of days so better et it checked ! Cheers for response
    Be honest. Hiding something and having it found later will crucify your application; mentioning it early means there's at least a chance for dialogue. You might run into trouble if you've used an inhaler unless there's a very good note on your records talking about how it wasn't for asthma. Good luck.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Do some searches on the net for vectors. As long as you grasp the concept of it I think you'll be fine (Wzz will no doubt correct me if you need to do more).
    It's broadly correct, but it's always simplified for use in the air. If you're flying due north at (say) 120kts (as you will in the Tutor), with the wind coming from 030 degrees at 20kts, what heading should you fly to actually follow the black line on your map?

The wind is 30 degrees off; we use the "clock code" to work out how much of it affects you. The "full clock" is 60 minutes. 30 degrees is half of 60, therefore half of the wind is across you.

However, as you're progressing at 2nm per minute, you don't apply the full windspeed correction. Use the 1 in 60 rule (I'll drag out the full explanation if anyone's interested; it's been a while since EFT groundschool!), and you apply a correction equal to windspeed/speed in nm per min.

Hence at 2nm/min, 20kts wind, you apply a correction of 10. But as mentioned we only want half of it, so we correct by changing our heading 5 degrees into wind, and fly 005 degrees.

When you start doing low level flying a lot faster, you ignore wind, but it always affects at high level.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Rhys)
    *snip*
    ...to complete those and the dozens of others for different roles.

Everyone sits them all. You'll do all the pilot ones, nav ones, controller ones, etc etc and I can't remember for the life of me what they all are.

It gives a bit of flexibility to the reviewing officers; if you make a mess of the pilot ones and nav ones, but show stellar aptitude as a fighter controller, it gives them something else to present to you that you might not have considered. You might not be eligible for aircrew, but you'd make an awesome controller; here're some books, go read for a while, come back for part 2; that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Thats not exactly correct, you can spend as long as you want on the apptitude test but most people complete the apptitude test within 5-7 hours

There is nowhere where you will be able to down load a apptitude test that will help you at OASC there is one on the U.S Air Force website but its nothing like the RAF test and questions you on different things, Rhys is correct in what is in the pilot part of the apptituded test and the mental maths that you have to do is minial in its difficulty, you have to be however quick and accurate, for exaple on some tests you will be asked to do certain tasks whilst doin mental maths such as 4 x 3, but in no more than bout 2 seconds! If anybody else has anymore questions about the apptitude test then id be happy to help as i passed the pilot apptitude this summer!!

Hope that helps
    Phil

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.