RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

jetboy18
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
(Alternatively, imagine your interviewer is naked - that was the tip I got from my father when I applied to join the Army.)

I got told to imagine them sitting on the toilet!! - it kinda takes away any illusions of them being superior. works for me!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I personally find it's best to forget that they're assessing you. Imagine you're just having a conversation. It makes it a lot easier to let your chat flow, and you'll naturally be more confident because you're no longer thinking what they might be writing about you. Ignore the second interviewer taking notes, and try and be upbeat and happy.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh; and don't be afraid to say you don't know. If the interviewer pushes to the limit of your knowledge, then he's expecting you to run out of stuff to say at some point. Don't faff, make stuff up, or worry about it; just admit you don't know and carry on.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Oh; and don't be afraid to say you don't know. If the interviewer pushes to the limit of your knowledge, then he's expecting you to run out of stuff to say at some point. Don't faff, make stuff up, or worry about it; just admit you don't know and carry on.
Totally agree! The moment you start trying to wing it, the board will spot it within moments. THEN they'll put the pressure on!!

As an aside Wzz, any thoughts on how to deal with the situation whereby you're happily talking about some current event, providing facts and your opinion. The board make a point to argue the opposite to your position and you sit there thinking "oh yeah - hadn't thought of that one!".

Is it best to stick to your guns (which I think you should) stating that "whilst I respect your opinion etc. etc."? Or should you bring up both sides of the arguement yourself before selecting one (i.e. "I see both sides of the arguement, but this is my position on it")?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I personally find it's best to forget that they're assessing you. Imagine you're just having a conversation. It makes it a lot easier to let your chat flow, and you'll naturally be more confident because you're no longer thinking what they might be writing about you. Ignore the second interviewer taking notes, and try and be upbeat and happy.
Remember - you're trying to join their club. Think of it this way; the board members are considering (in part) how happy they would be if they walked in the bar in the Mess, and the only person there to speak to was you. Would they be happy to chat to you?

My opinion - and my thought process for the interview anyway! Over to you Wzz to laugh and destroy my idea!!
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
I have a couple more questions:

1- I have blocked on another point which will arise during the interview; this is:

what is the difference between an officer and a senior non-commisioned officer?

2- Just another point to cover. I had a chat with a guy who went to OASC and he had a point to raise concerning the pilot apptitude test: The test with the dots coming down the screen and having to "hit" this with a pointer. The question is therefore the following:

When the series of dots coming down the screen splits in two, one path consisting of fewer dots than the other but being much more direct, which path is best following? The one which has less dots but which will be easier following and therefore maximising the number of hits? or going for the path with the most dots and risking missing some as the trajectory is tighter?

Thanks
jobe
Report 14 years ago
Hi. I've just started 6th form doing maths, physics, ict and geography as A-levels.

I really want to go into the raf as an engineering officer.

Where do i start when it comes to applying, and how does the selection process work?

What are the best things for me to do when trying to become an engineering officer?

Would love any help you could give me.

Please email me at [email protected] with any answers you might have.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
As an aside Wzz, any thoughts on how to deal with the situation whereby you're happily talking about some current event, providing facts and your opinion. The board make a point to argue the opposite to your position and you sit there thinking "oh yeah - hadn't thought of that one!".

Is it best to stick to your guns (which I think you should) stating that "whilst I respect your opinion etc. etc."? Or should you bring up both sides of the arguement yourself before selecting one (i.e. "I see both sides of the arguement, but this is my position on it")?
Depends really, but in general you can't go wrong if you consider what they say. Be honest again; "I hadn't considered that, but I still think my position is right because x outweighs y." In general, they don't tend to push you too much on "opinion" issues like that. If it's something you hadn't looked into too hard, then when they bring up a new viewpoint feel free to say "I wasn't aware of that; in that case, rather than supporting position x I now see the point behind position y."
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
My opinion - and my thought process for the interview anyway! Over to you Wzz to laugh and destroy my idea!!
Not likely. That's a brilliant example.

However, I've met some great interviewees that I wouldn't chat to in the mess, and plenty of good mates who I'm shocked are even in the RAF.... but it's a great attitude to hold for the interview.

There's got to be an element of you looking happy. You have to look like you're enjoying this. Be personable. Let your personality come to the forefront a bit. Imagine they're a pair of senior officers, and this is actually just bar chat; you're still going to be polite, but you've got to avoid being stiff.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jobe)
Where do i start when it comes to applying, and how does the selection process work?
How about with the 1500 odd replies above? Makes good reading over a couple of hours, I'm told....
jobe
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
How about with the 1500 odd replies above? Makes good reading over a couple of hours, I'm told....
I only asked if someone could email me because i dont have a few hours to read all those replies considering the amount of work i get from doing these subjects. I'm about to start my weight routine only now after iv literally just finished my work (and i wasnt catching up), so after that it will be 9. Then im getting some deserved sleep, thats why i asked if someone could email me if they had the free time to make someone elses life a bit easier.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have my RAF initial presentation at my local AFCO tomorrow!! Any one got any last minute advice?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I have my RAF initial presentation at my local AFCO tomorrow!! Any one got any last minute advice?
relax and enjoy it really, its about 3 hours so im told so dont nod off if there is a lul in the presentation
feel free to ask questions anyway when there is an opertune time, think someone previously said that if your thinking about a question, good chance someone else has the same thoughts too.

Just for curiosity for myself, are you involved in any sports at the moment?
Whenever im asked that its always a bit of a no except for badminton and I get frowned upon as its a single players game.
Also the clubs and groups, any at uni, erm no, I was at dundee!! only clubs there are the playing football and have a pint club. Not exactly my scene that. They like you to be members of debating clubs which isnt a thing for this area of scotland unfortunately, so closest I do seem to get is forum sites like concordesst, although get together do happen with that forum and we all support the rebuild effort of DG and trident ZK so ive always wondered what the view would be on that if mentioned to AFCO ?

But I have to add, if I could find a debating club of some sort, i'd be keen, Having had the chance to chat with a WSO of a B52 at the leuchers weekend over current affairs and past events and also the history of his aircraft, its pretty interesting
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jobe)
I only asked if someone could email me because i dont have a few hours to read all those replies considering the amount of work i get from doing these subjects. I'm about to start my weight routine only now after iv literally just finished my work (and i wasnt catching up), so after that it will be 9. Then im getting some deserved sleep, thats why i asked if someone could email me if they had the free time to make someone elses life a bit easier.
Well, the forces like a bit of initiative and enthusiasm for the job from their officers. So despite having 1500 pieces of information available, some of which are exceptionally valuable, and some of which come from people doing the job you claim to want, you'd rather pop off and do a "weights routine?"

Perhaps you want to look at your priorities. Doesn't show much initiative to ask for all your info handed to you on a plate.

If you want to be a bodybuilder, by all means crack on with "weights routines." If you want to be a pilot, and you're here looking for advice, cut it short, accept 30 mins less sleep every so often, and read this thread.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Enjoy it, and listen. There's nothing you need advice for; it's a presentation to get you keen on the job, nothing more.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rafaelshumy)
When the series of dots coming down the screen splits in two, one path consisting of fewer dots than the other but being much more direct, which path is best following? The one which has less dots but which will be easier following and therefore maximising the number of hits? or going for the path with the most dots and risking missing some as the trajectory is tighter?
... if you think about every test in this detail, then you're going to find it hard going...

It's not an in-depth psychological test. It's a test of your aptitude. You choose what looks best, see how many dots you catch, and get scored that way. The path that's best to follow is the one that sees YOU get as many dots as you can....
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
cheers wzz,

In that case I think I will take the most direct path to maximise the probability of hitting targets. After all, I suppose a pilot would choose the safest option in a situation whilst trying to maximise the probability of achieving his goal, reducing risk to the minimum.

I have been researching for quite a while now concerning the difference between an officer and a senior non-commisioned officer. Does anyone have an explanation about the difference?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not an easy one. It's the hardest question in the interview, I think!
Rhys
Report 14 years ago
Non-commissioned officer ("NCO") is an enlisted member of the RAF who has been delegated leadership or command authority by a commissioned officer.

A commissioned officer is a member of a military force who holds a commission of authority from a political leader or government.
Commissioned officers are authorized to use deadly force to carry out the lawful orders of their government, either directly or through orders to non-commissioned officers.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
Non-commissioned officer ("NCO") is an enlisted member of the RAF who has been delegated leadership or command authority by a commissioned officer.

A commissioned officer is a member of a military force who holds a commission of authority from a political leader or government.
Commissioned officers are authorized to use deadly force to carry out the lawful orders of their government, either directly or through orders to non-commissioned officers.
So does that mean a NCO cannot make decisions which result in the use of deadly force? All soliders have to be able to make that decision without asking an officer to make a decision for them...

Think about it further, what's the difference between a Senior NCO (Sgt or above with - in the case of the RAF - 20+ years experience) and a junior officer (with perhaps 1-3 years experience). The experience aspect is not the thing - but remember, you will be expected to tell a SNCO what to do as a junior officer, despite this gulf in experience.

That's what my experience (lol!) tell me anyway...just remember that the "commission of authority" comes from the Queen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads