Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As Arch Angel points out, most of the explanations we've had so far are too simple. I can't remember what I said on my selection interview, and i'd have to spend a hell of a while thinking of a good example now....
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Just for curiosity for myself, are you involved in any sports at the moment?

At my sixth form college I'm part of the climbing club and go once a week, and I'm in the medical ethics debating club. Outside of college I go to cadets twice a week where I represent my wing and region for hockey, netball, swimming and have been nominated for sports cadet of 2004 . I'm also a millenium volunteer helping charities in the community, and am doing my silver D of E, having completed the bronze (I do circuit training as the fitness element of these). Just finished a BTEC in Aviation studies, and am now doing one in Public Service.On top of this I do quite a lot of orienteering, adventure training, flying, gliding with cadets and have recently been on a climbing trip to the Spanish Pyrenees with them.

For my work experience I've been to RAF Coltishall and Linton-On-Ouse med centres, and spend one afternoon per week with a GP. I'm just arranging my next lot of W/E at RAF Leeming med centre. In summer 2005, I've been offered a placement at RAF Gibraltar med centre.

I have quite a hectic lifestyle, which is how I like it really!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Enjoy it, and listen. There's nothing you need advice for; it's a presentation to get you keen on the job, nothing more.

You were right (as always );I didn't have anything to worry about. I'd taken a dictaphone as I was going to record the whole presentation, but it didn't seem appropriate in the end.

When I arrived the first guy I spoke to was also applying for medical officer sponsorship (so looks like I've got at least one competitior ) I took looooaaaads of notes, as people on here have advised, so hopefully mananged to get a summary of everything.

The presentation itself, was just that, a presentation about the RAF and different careers;nothing more. There wasn't really any discussion or questions, which I was a bit suprised at.

The bad news for me was that I Will have to do aptitude tests. I thought some posts didn't have to do them, but it seems that's only if you hold the appropriate professional qualification (lawyer, doctor dentist etc). The good news is people applying for scholarships, bursaries or cadetships don't have to do the iniitative exercises or the fitness test

I was given quite a few booklets to read and a couple of DVD's to watch... so I'd best go and make a start on them!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
The bad news for me was that I Will have to do aptitude tests. I thought some posts didn't have to do them, but it seems that's only if you hold the appropriate professional qualification (lawyer, doctor dentist etc). The good news is people applying for scholarships, bursaries or cadetships don't have to do the iniitative exercises or the fitness test
Are you sure? I certainly did the hangar exercises when I applied for sponsorship, and I've watched a lot of pilot scholarship, bursary etc candidates do them as well...

... or is this some spurious favour to doctors and dentists?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Are you sure? I certainly did the hangar exercises when I applied for sponsorship, and I've watched a lot of pilot scholarship, bursary etc candidates do them as well...

... or is this some spurious favour to doctors and dentists?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. People applying for 6th form scholarhips only do part one selection at OASC; Aptitude, interview and medical. I don't know if this is something new or not...I'm sure you will be able to inform me
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ah, I thought you were referring to university sponsorship. No, that's nothing new, 6FS people only do part 1 of selection.

Got to come back and compete for a cadetship though, so you'll be doing them yet.....
Damir
Report 15 years ago
I was looking at these posts and ppl were concerned about aptitude tests, trying to find on the net some examples to practice, well I'm a civilian instructor at a local ATC and a guy from local AFCO came and I was having a butchers through his leaflets that he brought, and guess what I found!? ohh yea aptitude test exams, some were simple some bit harder, I said to him if I could take the leaflet home, he said they're for "airmen/women", (I didnt think they had to do aptiude test), anywho, he said next time he comes down he'll bring some for officers. I'm guessing you can go to your local AFCO and ask to have the leaflet,well its more of a A4 booklet as others, if they say doesnt exist then they're lying! if they say they have only for airmen/women then take that even if u're goin for an officer, comme moi, coz I'm sure they're officer entry aptitude test. Any Air traffic contollers here, or wannabes? :eek: I got presentation on 13th of oct, sweet.
Laters! :eek:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Airmen do a written aptitude test. The booklet you're talking about has nothing to do with the officer computer-based aptitude tests.

As an officer candidate you'll take an English diagnostic test, but aside from your planning problem, that's all.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Airmen do a written aptitude test. The booklet you're talking about has nothing to do with the officer computer-based aptitude tests.

As an officer candidate you'll take an English diagnostic test, but aside from your planning problem, that's all.
If I remember correctly, the English test is unassessed.

Airmen aptitute tests generally take the form of "standard" aptitude tests - there are numerous tests on-line and a number of books which can be purchased. Whilst practicing can improve an overall score, the improvement comes more from understanding the format of the tests. The tests I did - 12 years ago now! - were multiple choice with one of 6 or 8 answers to choose from. You have to mark off the relevant box for each question on a seperate answer form, thus adding to the pressure of the test. The overall time was 2-4 hours if I recall correctly and you're unlikely to answer each section completly. It's also divided into two main parts - everyone does part 1 with only people applying for technical trades undertake part 2 (Mechanical and Electrical tests if I recall).

This was 12 years now - more in fact since I've been in the service over 12 years - so things might have changed
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jetboy18)
Do you have any links for the on-line tests ?
Not to hand - but I searche for "online IQ tests" or "aptitude tests" and got a fair number of results
gonzo the great
Report 15 years ago
hey

yeah im applying to teh RAF as soon as i finish my degree.

i looked into it before i did my A-levels, to do intelligence i need 5 gcse(a-c) plus 2 a-levels. i got 9 GCSEs plus 3 alevels (AAA). I am now doing a degree in Economics and Politics at University of Southampton.

it is my dream to work with the RAF as an intelligence officer.

who else is interested in the intelligence positions?
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Having had a perusal through some sites, I came across this link. Even if the information given is out of date and to be taken lightly, it may prove useful:

http://home.clara.net/timc/raf.htm

Secondly, a link from here directed me to another person's experience of OASC, and may give some more insight in addition to the valuable information already posted on this thread.

http://home.clara.net/timc/OASCInfo.htm

However, don't bother looking at anything from

www.OASC.net unless you're really interested in the Ontario Aboriginal Sports Circle!

J
nash_qc
Report 15 years ago
hey guys

the best advice i give with regards to aptitude testing is don't panic. remember they are only measuring natural ability and so even if you could practice, your score wouldn't change very much. look at this way - i went to OASC for pilot in August. i only knew wot the pilot and WSO tests looked like but still passed the tests for every branch even though i didn't know wot to expect. good luck to all those going to OASC, but remember, just like the medical, aptitude is one of those things which is very difficult to change.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've got a date for my initial AFCO interview -2nd Nov. Anyone got any advice on the kind of questions I'll be asked etc, or any advice in general?
Philos
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nash_qc)
hey guys

the best advice i give with regards to aptitude testing is don't panic. remember they are only measuring natural ability and so even if you could practice, your score wouldn't change very much. look at this way - i went to OASC for pilot in August. i only knew wot the pilot and WSO tests looked like but still passed the tests for every branch even though i didn't know wot to expect. good luck to all those going to OASC, but remember, just like the medical, aptitude is one of those things which is very difficult to change.

hey Nash when were you at OASC in August i was there from the 9th to the 12th, were u in that batch? i agree on the aptitude front, there sint anything u can really change about it, pracitse on a few things like maths but apart from the hand eye foot is all natural really
nash_qc
Report 15 years ago
no mate i was at OASC from the 1st - 4th. av u got in neway?
RichFaut
Report 15 years ago
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Rich and I'm going to Imperial this year. I want to join the ULAS and then apply for a job as fighter controller after i leave uni. Thing is, i used to have ashtma. I know that you can never be a pilot if this is the case, but if ur syptom free for at least 4 years you can join as ground crew.
What about entry to the ULAS? Does the 4 year rule apply or not?

Cheers,
Rich
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ULAS' entry criteria will be the same as the RAF. Many UASs don't recruit ground branches, though. Might be worth ringing them beforehand. They have ground branch members under bursaries, but there're less keen to take them unsponsored.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nash_qc)
no mate i was at OASC from the 1st - 4th. av u got in neway?

No I didnt i was goin for Pilot Scholarship n i was told only 3 ppl got in. but Cranwell n my AFCO told me i had done brilliantly n want me back next year!!, My AFCO also told me that i had been shortlisted n had got down to the last few to be decided so im still hopeful for when i next go for direct entry! So how did you do? did you pass everything?

chears Phil
Damir
Report 15 years ago
Rite, if ya wanna have a sample of questions on aptitude tests, go to your local ACO and ask for a "Joining The RAF, your next step", I have the booklet in front of me and gives you the low downs on selection process, and the whole booklet is focusing on aptitude questions, the book was printed 04/03, but I think the guy in the ACO said its for group trade, and looking at this booklet some questions are hilariously easy, like calculate 0.64+2.51 (its multichoice), 2nd example

3 friends are deciding what to do on a nite out 2gether. Harry enjoys goin to the cinema the most, second favorite activity is bowling. His next choice would be goin for a meal, then theater. Gorge's least fav activity is bowling. he most enjoys goin for a meal and then goin to the theater. His second least fav activity is the cinema. Eleanor would go to the theater, but does not like cinema. Her fav activity is goin bowling and then goin for a meal.

Question1: Whos most likely to be the fatest
Question2: which activity would Harry and Eleanor be most likely to do 2gether?
Questions3: If Eleanor was not available and the cinema was closed, which activity would Harry and George be most likely to do this evening.
(multichoices)

P.S. questions 1, I made up, but can be answered!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads