RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Of course we make better pilots;it's scientifically proven that women are good at multi-tasking!!
No comment..... :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No comment..... :rolleyes:

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Damir)
But if you're married then there is more help? dont know what else to say, so I'll leave it at that.
Not really. As a married couple you're entitled to Officers' families quarters, but the rules on that aren't so clear cut as to say you only get them when you're married.

Basically, there's plenty of support services in place to help the local community of an RAF station, but less direct help.
Philos
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
Well i went to the AFCO today, as did a few other people interested in going in as officers, basically just told them i deffo wanted to go in as pilot. Found out a few things i didnt know though: That maximum height for pilot is 5.11 and there are 20 places on the fast jet course for next year when i apply. :eek: he also said that women make better pilots but i think he was just saying that to comfort the girl at the meeting who found out she was too tall lol!

The 5'11'' is totally wrong im 6'1'' and ive been passed medically fit for all branches another guy on my course was 6'4'' and he was passed medically fit for all branches....i dont know who told you that!

correct me if im wrong someone and if so ill have to take a couple of inches out of my legs lol
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
Passed through OASC in August, was told wait for a decision after a further meeting in October.

Its now October so I guess the meeting is imminent. Does anyone (wzz perhaps) have up to date info regarding the number of pilot slots up for grabs at the moment?

Many thanks if you can help.

run a mile
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No idea I'm afraid. I've been out of OASC for a while! The only thing I can say is that in the current climate, there are "few."
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
thanks wzz,

This waiting is getting tough, any day now..........
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They should get back to you within a fortnight of the meeting.
nik01
Report 14 years ago
You haven't said how you got on at OASC. You went in September yeh!
Care to share the experience?
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
You haven't said how you got on at OASC. You went in September yeh!
Care to share the experience?

I'm there in December, I'll let you know after then.
nik01
Report 14 years ago
Sorry, December is it?

I thought it was September as you posted this on 26/8/04.

I'm at OASC next month, and to be honest I'm apprehensive myself. I have attended and passed similar boards, some harder, some easier, but each time they have always been hard and I have been apprehensive abouut the outcome. My advice to anyone is go there, be smart, be confident, and above all... BE YOURSELF!
Confused? I am!
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
Sorry, December is it?

I thought it was September as you posted this on 26/8/04.

Confused? I am!

Dates changed due to work commitments, so I had to request a stay of execution. At least it gives me a couple of extra months to swot up on all the relevant stuff.
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
Hi guys,

just got back from OASC today. Im realy tired now! I can confirm that there are few places for Pilot and WSO(N). The competition is fierce and the tip I will give you is put your matress on the floor if you want to sleep well!! the springs are TOOOOOO soft!!

Other than that I got 10.8 on the fitness test. Could Wzz tell me if this is sufficient for Pilot and also tell me what is the cut off point for pilots on the fitness test.

Also I would like to know what is the cut off score on the pilot apt test. I got 120.

I consider I did well in the group discution, hangar exercises and interview.

Cheers
RAF
Philos
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rafaelshumy)
Hi guys,

just got back from OASC today. Im realy tired now! I can confirm that there are few places for Pilot and WSO(N). The competition is fierce and the tip I will give you is put your matress on the floor if you want to sleep well!! the springs are TOOOOOO soft!!

Other than that I got 10.8 on the fitness test. Could Wzz tell me if this is sufficient for Pilot and also tell me what is the cut off point for pilots on the fitness test.

Also I would like to know what is the cut off score on the pilot apt test. I got 120.

I consider I did well in the group discution, hangar exercises and interview.

Cheers
RAF
I can help you on the aptitude cut off, its 112, and like you i got 120, they told me its a good score but i should probably try some mental exercises to boost it up some more, i dont know if you have already taken it before because you only have 2 attempts at apptitude, hope that helps phil
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The aptitude tests go up to 200, if I remember right, so there's a way to go on that. 10.8's fine on the bleep test, there's no specific pilot cut off. It's all in the attitude. If you looked knackered after, you were working hard enough.
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
10.8 is good enough for an "excellent" score which scores you big brownie points. I remember when I did it, I dropped out at 11.4 but was bricking it because I genuinely thought I'd dropped out somewhere around 8.4. I had a complete blank between then and the end and you can guess my surprise when I heard the announcement of the next shuttle.
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
this was my second go at the aptitude tests. I failed it the first time round, made a real mess of it. Ony got 98 the first time! they waere actually suprised that I made such a big increase this time round. I'm happy to hear that I can get excellent for the suttle test because the second best score for pilots was 10.4.

I was wondering if my performance in phase 2 could compensate for my aptitude test score? I know there was better scores than mine for the pilot AAT and was hoping that by doing extremely well in phase 2 would compensate for a fairly "low" score in the AAT? could anyone confirm this?

cheers
peegee
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, the competition in January for the Scholarship competition was ridiculous. From what I hear, there were 500 or so people who went for pt.1 of the selection. The numbers that got accepted were higher than i expected though, from the first batch that got accepted I know more than 18 got pilot, and there were 70 or more acceptances in the other branches. And that was half or less of the overall number that were awarded scholarships.
Daveo123
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rafaelshumy)
this was my second go at the aptitude tests. I failed it the first time round, made a real mess of it. Ony got 98 the first time! they waere actually suprised that I made such a big increase this time round. I'm happy to hear that I can get excellent for the suttle test because the second best score for pilots was 10.4.

I was wondering if my performance in phase 2 could compensate for my aptitude test score? I know there was better scores than mine for the pilot AAT and was hoping that by doing extremely well in phase 2 would compensate for a fairly "low" score in the AAT? could anyone confirm this?

cheers
I had my presentation yesterday and it was excellent!

I was provided with an information pack with 1 DVD video and 2 CD videos of the RAF today and IOT. From what I could see of OASC, the aptitude test side of the selection is tough but not impossible. The parts on the video include using a joystick to guide a white/blue dot along a red dotted path and using a small keyboard with coloured keys and letters with diamonds moving horizontally across the screen while 4 boxes on the corners show groups of letters etc...

Can anyone else shed some light on what you have to do in these tests, whether you are first shown how to take the test and what other tests were included?
nash_qc
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo123)
I had my presentation yesterday and it was excellent!

I was provided with an information pack with 1 DVD video and 2 CD videos of the RAF today and IOT. From what I could see of OASC, the aptitude test side of the selection is tough but not impossible. The parts on the video include using a joystick to guide a white/blue dot along a red dotted path and using a small keyboard with coloured keys and letters with diamonds moving horizontally across the screen while 4 boxes on the corners show groups of letters etc...

Can anyone else shed some light on what you have to do in these tests, whether you are first shown how to take the test and what other tests were included?
yeh there are different test for each branch, for example five for pliot including number recall, hand-eye co-ordination tests, etc. the one with the coloured diamonds etc is the test for WSO. other tests include a bearings test which recreates a radar screen for WSOp and speed/distace/time tests.
these are followed by general intelligence tests and maths questions. and YES you are shown how to do the tests before and are usually allowed a practice question or two. there are a large variety of tests but as they can take up to seven hours it would take to long to go into detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.2%
No (91)
72.8%

Watched Threads