RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Sounds like my dad..only he insists on long sleeved, high necked jumpers as well!!!

Just in case my dad ever sees this..I don't mean it!! You're a very liberal and laid back parent really :rolleyes:
Damir
Report 14 years ago
Got presentation 2morrow, hope I'm not late, not a good way to start the impression game, was thinking of wearing a suit, but that mite be over the top, asked the career guys, they said smart yet casual, so 501's I said, nah he replied, smart trousers. Anothere thing, when ya go for an officer u need to know everything about the RAF and current affairs and all, then why the presentation? they only gonna tell what u should know all ready, dont think there'll be ppl saying, ohhh so thats what RAF stands for, anyway, something to think about.

p.s. good reply Nikki
Congrats REME
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Damir)
Got presentation 2morrow, hope I'm not late, not a good way to start the impression game, was thinking of wearing a suit, but that mite be over the top, asked the career guys, they said smart yet casual, so 501's I said, nah he replied, smart trousers. Anothere thing, when ya go for an officer u need to know everything about the RAF and current affairs and all, then why the presentation? they only gonna tell what u should know all ready, dont think there'll be ppl saying, ohhh so thats what RAF stands for, anyway, something to think about.

p.s. good reply Nikki
Congrats REME

Most of the guys that attended the presentation I went to wore suits (I think there was only one that didn't). There was a lot of good info, but as you say, you should know most of it already. I still took quite a lot of notes;just in cae!!

Good luck, I was quite nervous before mine, but you honestly have nothing to worry about;There were no questions or anything. Let us know how you get on
js_atco
Report 14 years ago
I was unsuccessful in getting offered a commission this year, and didn't want NCA.

I had my debrief at AFCO today. The office commander agreed with my sentiments that I would have got in on a "normal" recruiting year, as my matrix wasn't all that bad. The problem is that the RAF are snipping at both ends at the moment; they're losing jobs, and not offering people extensions to their commissions, and they're recruiting a vastly reduced number of officers.

He has suggested that I do not try to appear at OASC before early 2006 - even though I am eligible to go any time after Sept 2005. He reckons recruitment will have recovered to something near a normal level by them, provided there aren't further cuts to the force. I am inclined to agree with him on this one, as from what I heard, only one person from my board got a positive result - and even this was just a deferred decision until mid October! That means, at this point in time, no one from my board was successful, even though there were some pretty bright sparks who achieved higher matrix results than me.

Fortunately, during my application I was preparing a number of back-up options, should a “plan b” be required. I have accepted a place offered to me on a masters course at my old uni, and they’ve now offered me a bursary, which is nice! I will do this throughout next year, and will finish this around December 2005 (all going well!) I will then re-evaluate my options in the New Year, and approach the RAF at this point if I still wish to pursue it. I have absolutely no intention in rushing straight back into selection as soon as I am eligible, as I think the RAF will still be recovering from the turmoil caused by the defence cuts.

I hope this helps people on this board, who are embarking on applications, to understand what they are up against. People are achieving the “acceptable” grade, with a 3 (which would normally get you in), but there are no jobs for them, so they’re getting asked back next year. I am not putting myself through another 4 day OASC whilst I am certain this situation still exists.

I wish everyone here the greatest of luck with their applications over the coming year.

Answers to some points I've noticed:

* 10/8 in the bleep test is not "excellent" it is "good" - the scores have been reclassified. People on my board went up to 13/1, I scored 12/8 myself, which is "good" and gets you a 4.

* A Pilot aptitude of less than 120 will see you binned under current climates, as there ARE people who score much higher. At the moment 120 is considered "marginal". I failed Pilot (wasn't a branch choice, so not a disaster!), but passed all the others. The problem is that it isn't enough to "pass", you need a competitive score, and this depends on how you compare to everyone else passing through OASC in the months prior.

* It's good to come away from OASC thinking you've done well, but DO NOT get your hopes up, and do not assume it's in the bag. I could have done this, but luckily my girlfriend kept discussing my other plans with me, so I was disappointed, but not heart-broken, when the letter came.
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
I agree with js_atco. these years are very competitive to get in the RAF, as I discovered when I attended OASC last week. Many applications but not very many jobs available. I have the feeling I did well at OASC but I am not getting my hopes up, actually I am getting prepared for a negative reply due to the current situation. I passed everything accepted air engineer in the apptitude tests, so if I fail this year I'll try again next year, and the year after until I get commisioned!!
but for sure, an overall 3 in the matrix is defenitely not enough aymore.Even though it is enough for a recomendation, it will not get u a "highly" recomended note. I think one should aim for at least a 4.
rafaelshumy
Report 14 years ago
I applied for pilot and WSO(N). but apparently all branches are tough!! exept gunner lol
nik01
Report 14 years ago
Has anyone had a POSITIVE result from OASC in the last month?

So far all we've heard is definate No's or come back next year. It would be interesting to know if they've given out any places at all for IOT during the last couple of months worth of OASC.

If there are no places up for grabs, it makes you wonder if it's worth going to OASC at all this year!

Most candidates have been in the application process for a year or more when they get to OASC and to then find out that there are no places available seems to be a waste of everyone's time. (No.... I'm not saying that the process is a waste of time, I understand that the time frame shows commitment etc but if you have waited so long for your chance at OASC and there are no places available when you go,then it does seem to be an unnecessary waste when they could just tell everyone that they are not recruiting until ......)

Perhaps Wzz or someone in the know can tell us what the current situation is as the AFCO's either don't know or are not telling!!!!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There are still places, but they're not really giving them away. Aircrew recruitment's a bit of a disaster zone right now, and supply and engineering especially are taking a bit of a hit.

Bad luck to js_atco and anyone else who've been unsuccessful. Take their recommendations on board and go back when they said you should.

Recruitment always comes in swings; it'll be up again at some point. And someone has to take the slots that are there now. There's still an IOT starting every 8 weeks with at least 60-odd people on it.
nik01
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There are still places, but they're not really giving them away. Aircrew recruitment's a bit of a disaster zone right now, and supply and engineering especially are taking a bit of a hit.
Do you mean suppy and engineering officer's? Does that mean that there are no or very few places for these branches left?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I'm no longer working in recruiting, so I can't give you a magic number as to how many slots there are. However, I should imagine that these branches will be the hardest hit with the service shedding numbers.
nik01
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, I'm no longer working in recruiting, so I can't give you a magic number as to how many slots there are. However, I should imagine that these branches will be the hardest hit with the service shedding numbers.
I'm confused? I was under the impression that due to the more expeditionary nature of future Military Ops that TacComms Wing was growing. If engineering is taking a hit then whats the score?
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=nik01]Has anyone had a POSITIVE result from OASC in the last month? QUOTE]

Funny you should ask, I've had a positive result in the last half hour!

Got a call from my AFCO at, oooooohh, 16:45 telling me I start IOT in Feb!!!!! GET IN

Have to wait for the letter to find out what branch though!!!!
nik01
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=run a mile]
(Original post by nik01)
Has anyone had a POSITIVE result from OASC in the last month? QUOTE]

Got a call from my AFCO at, oooooohh, 16:45 telling me I start IOT in Feb!!!!! GET IN

Congrats mate.. Which branches did you apply for and when was your OASC?
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
Applied for Pilot, WSO, Intel and Education + Training. Attended on the 10th August.

was my second time round.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
I'm confused? I was under the impression that due to the more expeditionary nature of future Military Ops that TacComms Wing was growing. If engineering is taking a hit then whats the score?
Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to recruit fresh new engineers. You just lay off a lot of airman engineers, then send their previous JEngO to TCW.

For example.
Philos
Report 14 years ago
Hey Run a mile

I was OASC on 9th of August, i was part of the 6th form scholarship group, were you in the older group, the direct entrant and university burs. group.
I dont know if i met you or not but well done on the IOT, hopefully you will get the branch you want the most

see you
Phil
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
Thanks Phil,

Yeah, I was in that group. Still waiting to find out how all the other guys did though!

From your previous posts I see you weren’t so lucky, don’t let that bother you. Just go back even stronger next time round! It worked for me!

As for the branch, no prizes for guessing which one I want the most!

ram
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by run a mile)
As for the branch, no prizes for guessing which one I want the most!
I hope it wasn't admin (trg) or they'll probably give it to you.....
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
Whats the pilot scholarship thing all about? i have been told by the AFCO to get my AS results in July/june whenever and then go back for a medical, and then be put forwared for application. I thought ehat was ok but the i realised on my sheet it says applications have to be put forward by Nov. 30 this year ???? help. What aptitude tests are taken anyway ect?
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by run a mile)

Abut abut abut. Git. I went to OASC LAST August and i don't start IOT till April.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
14.92%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.55%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.46%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.31%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise