Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I hope it wasn't admin (trg) or they'll probably give it to you.....

then thats a good thing right?
Although training aint where i'd like to be going
nik01
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hey you guy's

Can you tell me how long after OASC it was until you received your 1st decision letter?

:rolleyes: :confused:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
6 days, if I remember right; but it seems like it was all a bit more streamlined then!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
Whats the pilot scholarship thing all about? i have been told by the AFCO to get my AS results in July/june whenever and then go back for a medical, and then be put forwared for application. I thought ehat was ok but the i realised on my sheet it says applications have to be put forward by Nov. 30 this year ???? help. What aptitude tests are taken anyway ect?
It's a funny scheme. The idea is it's like a cashless 6th form scholarship for pilots only; they've cottoned on to the fact that you don't really need to offer any money to people to join as aircrew!

You'd go through; if I remember right; the same process as someone applying for a 6FS.

It flopped quite badly when it started, as it was attracting poor candidates. It seemed people of fairly low-average standard were watching mates get into uni, and thought "well, if I can't go to uni, I'll show them, I'll be a pilot!" Unfortunately very few made the grade.

Don't worry if you hear horror stories about competition for pilot scholars being tough; it's just that the standard of applicants hasn't been very high. Certainly when I watched the first few boards, that was the reason very few were selected.
Blue_Wolf75
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's a funny scheme. The idea is it's like a cashless 6th form scholarship for pilots only; they've cottoned on to the fact that you don't really need to offer any money to people to join as aircrew!

You'd go through; if I remember right; the same process as someone applying for a 6FS.

It flopped quite badly when it started, as it was attracting poor candidates. It seemed people of fairly low-average standard were watching mates get into uni, and thought "well, if I can't go to uni, I'll show them, I'll be a pilot!" Unfortunately very few made the grade.

Don't worry if you hear horror stories about competition for pilot scholars being tough; it's just that the standard of applicants hasn't been very high. Certainly when I watched the first few boards, that was the reason very few were selected.
I agree with the above, except you do get money (or at least you did last year). But yeah it does attract some pretty poor candidates there were over 1000 applicants had a filter interview, only 90 odd of those got boarded and 13 of us got scholarships. Makes you feel kinda special really.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When the scheme was set up, there was definately no money involved. I can't recall if they still do 6FS for pilots, but that would certainly involve money, allowing the pilot scholarship scheme to run concurrently.
Damir
Report 15 years ago
Yea, presentation went alrite, does drag on a bit 3.5hrs, but I guess its has ppl who dont know much about RAF in mind. No one wrote notes, although we were given pen and paper, he always said, u dont have to take notes, I'll go through with it, so no notes,
yea most ppl wore suits, but I was just short of a suit, I'll save it for interview. I've put my foot in it, trying to be smart and all and I asked was that an F22 on the end, dont know what I said it....it did look like F22, but of course it was JFS or what ever its called, the new joint something striker.
The officer said, that ppl who go for intell should know most things about current affairs and RAF coz its an important branch, pilots can be the dumbest since they only have to know about planes.
On a seperate note, had to take an up to date eye test, and I was asking can laser eye surgery be detected, coz I've been told it can, and the optician said yes, but depending on how short sighted u are, what happens is that short sighted ppl have a more oval eyes and what the surgery does, it cuts of a layer of the lens and then it hits it with laser head on to flatten the remains of the lens so it goes flat, and the laser are in form of little circles and they imprint on the eyes so its like a circle burn on the retina, so the more short sighted you are, the longer the expose to the laser,more circles, in order to make the lens flatter, so if someone is not that bad, like -1.00 or less, there is a good chance that the surgery will not be detected, depends on how good the RAF opticians are, but I'm pretty sure that they are good, but if they're not taking good look then u mite get away with it if you're like
I just though some ppl mite want to know that, thats what the optician said, I dont wanna take no blame if it all goes horribly wrong.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)

then thats a good thing right?
Although training aint where i'd like to be going
Well, there are some branches that are a little undersubscribed. Therefore if you're not the best candidate for your chosen branch, you'll likely be offerred a commission in one of the empty branches if you suggested you'd be interested.

Admin's not the popular right now, fighter control's a shoe in, and there are a couple of others.
nik01
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, there are some branches that are a little undersubscribed. Therefore if you're not the best candidate for your chosen branch, you'll likely be offerred a commission in one of the empty branches if you suggested you'd be interested.

Admin's not the popular right now, fighter control's a shoe in, and there are a couple of others.
Go on then, tell us what the others are?!?!?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Damir)
....it was JFS or what ever its called, the new joint something striker.
The officer said, that ppl who go for intell should know most things about current affairs and RAF coz its an important branch, pilots can be the dumbest since they only have to know about planes.
Planes are used in woodwork; they're aircraft.

Int (not intel!) is an exceptionally important and very popular branch and you need to be a very, very strong candidate to stand a chance.

... and you might like to remember that pilot is still the most popular branch, and therefore tends to be full of strong officers; and they need to know just as much as anyone else, as it's us who run the RAF. All OC Ops Wings are aircrew, 99% of station commanders, all squadron commanders, and the majority of air officers; not to mention every Chief of the Air Staff.

You're not going to become a pilot going through OASC only knowing about "planes."

(Original post by Damir)
...there is a good chance that the surgery will not be detected, depends on how good the RAF opticians are, but I'm pretty sure that they are good, but if they're not taking good look then u mite get away with it if you're like
That is absolutely the worst, worst piece of advice I've yet seen on this entire thread. Anyone who considers lying on a medical form to get into the RAF has absolutely no place as an officer in any of the services. There is a very good reason for every medical decision they make; there simply aren't enough front line fast jet pilots in the world post laser surgery to be able to see the long time effects.

It DOES adversely affect your night vision; and I don't want you stacking into me in formation over the North Sea on a stormy night and putting me in dinghy in sea state 7 at night because you couldn't operate properly behind a set of NVGs!!

The RAF's opticians are exceptionally good; and you'll undergo about 20 minutes worth of very in depth corneal mapping if selected as aircrew. This procedure has no problem picking up microscopic damage and changes to the cornea, and WILL detect any evidence of laser surgery. As your optician said, a good optician could detect it normally. It shows up fairly obviously on a corneal map!

... and it goes without saying that if it turns out you've "forgotten" to mention laser surgery, you'll be rapidly out on your ear.

I wish the eyesight debate would stop. Your eyes don't have to be perfect, but the books say 6/6 or bust. If you don't wear glasses, go and have a shot; you'll go through an eye test, and if they say you're good enough, you're good enough. If you NEED glasses, or have had laser surgery, I'm sorry but you're not going to be a military pilot. Resign yourself to WSO or ground branches, and please have the maturity to accept this.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
Go on then, tell us what the others are?!?!?
I can't. Requirements change all the time, and I'm not working in recruiting any more.

Pilot, WSO, and Int were always very very hotly contested. ATC is very popular. Supply is too. Engineering and Fighter Control are generally quite undersubscribed.
nik01
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I can't. Requirements change all the time, and I'm not working in recruiting any more.

Pilot, WSO, and Int were always very very hotly contested. ATC is very popular. Supply is too. Engineering and Fighter Control are generally quite undersubscribed.
I can understand the last bit about engineering being undersubscribed coz you have to suitably qualified but why fighter control? :confused:

Hey and Wzz, how come you are on here all the time, have you no work to do???
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't know; it's just not a popular branch. It's not a job many people want to do.

And right now, I'm actually on leave. Generally, you'll find that I pop on occasionally of an evening when I have nothing to do, and if I'm on during the day I'm either on leave, or it's a hell of a slack day at work and I'm at home.

It's a very relaxed job, flying
nik01
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Don't know; it's just not a popular branch. It's not a job many people want to do.

And right now, I'm actually on leave. Generally, you'll find that I pop on occasionally of an evening when I have nothing to do, and if I'm on during the day I'm either on leave, or it's a hell of a slack day at work and I'm at home.

It's a very relaxed job, flying
Sorry didn't mean to be cheeky with the above! Was just wondering how you have time to be on the site all the time!
I would really like a job as Eng Officer in the RAF and am waiting for results of OASC at the moment. The waiting is very hard and not knowing if there were any jobs available before I attended makes it all the harder. Because you seem to be an expert in most areas, I'm only trying to make use of your knowledge.
Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated..honestly.....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thank you very much.

Eng is quite undersubscribed if I recall, but is likely to be hit quite hard with the RAF downsizing. Good luck regardless. And don't lie about your eyesight. Anyone.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Thank you very much.

Eng is quite undersubscribed if I recall, but is likely to be hit quite hard with the RAF downsizing. Good luck regardless. And don't lie about your eyesight. Anyone.

A couple of guys on my course in August had had corrective eye surg. or had, had some inhancment treatment and it was imediatly picked up and the guys that had lied did the get a rollockin and a half in the Medical De-brief and general de-brief!! so i wouldnt advise it!!....especially as your lying to them has cost them a whole load of money to bring you there and if you are applying to other branches they wont look to kindly on you if you've lied to them about your eyesight!!!

Just a word of warning!

I dont mind tho cos i had perfect eyesight....best in the group, so the optitian said!!!

Phil :cool:
run a mile
Report 15 years ago
Just found out that I have been offered a short service commission for WSO.

Quite a few things running through my mind, the main one being that a career as a pilot in the RAF is not to be.

So what do I do?

Both becoming a pilot and holding a commission in the RAF mean so much to me I cannot possibly decide between the two.

Not without a little advice anyhow.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
A couple of guys on my course in August had had corrective eye surg. or had, had some inhancment treatment and it was imediatly picked up and the guys that had lied did the get a rollockin and a half in the Medical De-brief and general de-brief!! so i wouldnt advise it!!....especially as your lying to them has cost them a whole load of money to bring you there and if you are applying to other branches they wont look to kindly on you if you've lied to them about your eyesight!!!

Just a word of warning!

I dont mind tho cos i had perfect eyesight....best in the group, so the optitian said!!!

Phil :cool:
Well im not touching anything like that with a 50ft barge poll thats for sure. Once I read that glasses and correction treetment wearn't an option I already consigned myself to a ground role, and im happy with the choice
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by run a mile)
Just found out that I have been offered a short service commission for WSO.

Quite a few things running through my mind, the main one being that a career as a pilot in the RAF is not to be.

So what do I do?

Both becoming a pilot and holding a commission in the RAF mean so much to me I cannot possibly decide between the two.

Not without a little advice anyhow.
Only you can answer that, really. Do you know what a WSO does? Why don't you want to be one? What do you want to know about them? Why pilot first?

Can't really offer advice without knowing more. Only warning I'd flag up is how it might look to OASC if you applied for WSO, were successful, but turn it down before asking for pilot again... be prepared to face some questions asking why you applied for a branch you don't want.

If you were planning on only being a pilot, bearing in mind how recruitment is now, applying for any other branch is a risk, as has been discussed before. You can pass OASC but be below this year's cut off for pilot, and wind up spending your life as a WSO, while last year or next year you might have made it.

Do you want to be an officer or a pilot? Have you really thought about WSO?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

That's interesting to hear, especially as Admin is the branch im looking to get into
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (86)
27.48%
No (227)
72.52%

Watched Threads