Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
Mate,

How long have you served in the Army?
Why are you thinking of changing to the RAF? :confused:

Been in the Army for 11 years. I thought long and hard about changing to the RAF, especially as my application isn't looked on favourably by promotion boards. There are many reasons, but here's a few of the key ones:

I can go for Direct Entry Commission giving me upwards of 16+ years service whereas in the army I'd have to take LE commisssion which works on a 3 year renewal basis. Not good if the MoD decide to make more manpower cuts

My job now is getting more to the point where as an SNCO I will be working predominantly in DLO/DPA, or training units instead of command positions.

Assuming I did get a command appointment, the equipment I will work with isn't exactly the newest in the world.

It's difficult to list the reasons without it seeming like I'm denegrating the Army. Far from it; I really enjoy my work and I've been/seen a lot. It's just that the RAF has so much more to offer in respects of scope, promotion and longevity of career.

I have a couple of friends who made the leap over the last few years or so, and they've never looked back. They say it's the best career move of their lives. There are very very few soldiers taking an LE commission in the Army that would reach Lt Col (Wing Cdr), whereas this route make it an entirely feasible option, possibly even higher.

Oh, and the living conditions, morale, working conditions, food, sports facilities, adventure training, and uniform are all better!!

(And if I don't get in I'll be the butt of every "Biggles" joke for years to come from my colleagues)

Now if I can just recite that lot again, more succinctly, in my OASC interview, I may just be in with a chance. :rolleyes:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
I will be working predominantly in DLO/DPA,
Oh God.... Wyton was one of the most horrible, unfriendly, over-civilianised places I ever stayed... especially as diverted aircrew with nothing but a smelly flying suit to wear in the bar!!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, 6 years in our little service, 12 if you're aircrew.

As an aside for aircrew candidates picking their length of commission, if you're a graduate, while you're signed up until your 38/16 point, you also have a "graduate option" after 12 years' service. So there's no point in going for an SSC.....?
Just to be sure on this, As a Graduate, it would be expected of them to stay the max service length or have an option to leave after 12 years?

Mind you, when I think about that, if everything goes to plan, by the time I was to join I would be 26 so thats going to be 12 years service till im 38 anyway
flashman
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
"Oh, and the living conditions, morale, working conditions, food, sports facilities, adventure training, and uniform are all better!!"

Jaysus how can you say any uniform is better than cavalry uniform! Are you an officer then-I didnt really understand what you were saying earlier
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Oh God.... Wyton was one of the most horrible, unfriendly, over-civilianised places I ever stayed... especially as diverted aircrew with nothing but a smelly flying suit to wear in the bar!!

I've never been to Wyton, but having spent time at DLOs in Andover and Bicester all I can say is they're very top-heavy and very civilianised. As a SNCO I'd be lucky to scale the dizzy heights of brew boy! But the departments I've ever had dealings with are ES based, which equates to a glorified PC World Helpdesk. (Granted there are other more dynamic jobs, but not for me )

(Original post by flashman)
Jaysus how can you say any uniform is better than cavalry uniform! Are you an officer then-I didnt really understand what you were saying earlier !!
I'm not Cavalry and I'm not an officer, hence my going for commission.

Don't be confused about Cavalry uniform... once they're away from the pomp and ceremony of Horseguards (Household Cavalry), their uniform is the same as any other Tom **** or Harriet; DPM. Funnily enough, Cavalry uniform is the same No 8 Service dress (Combat 95 to you and me) as worn by those in the RAF, Marines and Navy. (But our Corps Mess Dress is a sight better than some I've seen, RAF included).

My comment was aimed more at the fact that in the RAF, a normal shirt, normal trousers and normal shoes are the rule and not the exception for everyday working. Whereas in the Army, CS95 and boots are very much the order of the day, no matter if you're in an office or in the field.

Maybe my tongue was planted a little too firmly in my cheek when I posted that comment.
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
I'm confused? I was under the impression that due to the more expeditionary nature of future Military Ops that TacComms Wing was growing. If engineering is taking a hit then whats the score?
Having been at TCW for 10 years, even if it were to expand more vastly than it already is, there will never be huge numbers of Engineering Officers.
You can apply that to 1ACC too. The ratio of Non-Commissioned to Commissioned Engineers was always huge, same as any Aircraft Squadron really.

REME-Bod, I may see you at OASC in December, my group starts on the 7th.
I am also looking forward to the long, agonising wait due to backed-up paperwork and mail delays after the Christmas period. Joy.

A footnote...
I attended the NCA brief at Cranwell a while ago. Unbelievably I met a serving JT who had passed OASC and was starting on the last course of pure LM / Crewman training (before the Common Course starts). He didn't seem to have a clue about very much at all. I also wondered why he was attending the brief, surely he should have attended BEFORE OASC?
Maybe it was an Admin mix-up, but it certainly made me chuckle with some of the misconceptions he came out with. He wasn't even sure about the role of the trade he'd chosen. He gave me the impression he'd just winged it at OASC. Makes me sick when I know I have given my all to this application.
- Rant over.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)

REME-Bod, I may see you at OASC in December, my group starts on the 7th.
I am also looking forward to the long, agonising wait due to backed-up paperwork and mail delays after the Christmas period. Joy.
I'll be the one with a few more grey hairs (and bags under my eyes because of lack of sleep brought on by my new bundle of joy), than most of the other candidates, applying for one of those ever diminishing Enginerering jobs.
Locost Builder
Report 15 years ago
I'll be the one with a few more grey hairs (and bags under my eyes because of lack of sleep brought on by my new bundle of joy), than most of the other candidates, applying for one of those ever diminishing Enginerering jobs.
Enginerering? I've heard of that.
Your grey hairs won't be alone, I have more of those than the original colour these days. That's without the pitter-patter of tiny boots.
Do you have any other branch choices if EngO doesn't come off? - Current climate and all.
Rick
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your grey hairs won't be alone, I have more of those than the original colour these days. That's without the pitter-patter of tiny boots.
Do you have any other branch choices if EngO doesn't come off? - Current climate and all.
Rick

You're both making out as if you've one foot in the grave already!! :rolleyes:

Are you sure you don't need walking sticks and zimmer frames to take with you to OASC? !!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've never been to Wyton, but having spent time at DLOs in Andover and Bicester all I can say is they're very top-heavy and very civilianised.
Wyton was fairly horrible. Marching through the gate in a crumpled flying suit with a broken jet nearby to see signs for "civilian logisitics" this and "procurement team" that made me feel a little funny.

The mess was full of photos of its days as a Canberra base. It's so blunt now it hurts; and massively top heavy. I've not been asked to change out of working dress by so many important people before :rolleyes:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I attended the NCA brief at Cranwell a while ago. Unbelievably I met a serving JT who had passed OASC and was starting on the last course of pure LM / Crewman training (before the Common Course starts). He didn't seem to have a clue about very much at all. I also wondered why he was attending the brief, surely he should have attended BEFORE OASC?
Maybe it was an Admin mix-up, but it certainly made me chuckle with some of the misconceptions he came out with. He wasn't even sure about the role of the trade he'd chosen. He gave me the impression he'd just winged it at OASC. Makes me sick when I know I have given my all to this application.
- Rant over.
It takes all sorts, doesn't it. I don't know how some people slip through the net, but at every stage of training; especially IOT; I've looked at people on course with me or finishing with me and just thought "how?"

I've got a good few mates whose well-meant reading up for OASC is now a distant memory; they're happy with the job, and have their eyes on accreditation, CPLs, ATPLs, and those graduate options at age 33 or so, before writing to Mr. Branson.

Your chap could have just slipped through with an awful lot of ambition, being a general good bloke, with a lot of potential; I'd have probably selected him then even if he didn't yet know that much about his future branch.

Risky, of course. What if he hates it....? :rolleyes:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Rick
I hope I've not killed peoples' enthusiasm; while we are facing redundancies and Eng and Supply are likely to be hard hit, remember that all my comments so far on this sort of thing are based primarily on crewroom rumour.

I know there aren't many spaces for commissions in those branches, but it's not all doom and gloom!

Eng and Supply seem likely candidates because there're a lot of airman posts within them likely to be targeted for redundancy. Less airmen=less officers in the same branch....?
davidh286
Report 15 years ago
looking through the forum there is a few bits i can help clarify, the fitness test at oasc is not a set level, how you do in the process dictates how much work you've put in preparing, the higher and harder you go the more effort it shows you have made, it can be worht an extra mark on your final score, a bad performance can reduce your final mark, eng and supply posts are still recruiting after being at a recent presentation for the RAF review it was confirmed most reduction in manpower is through natural retirement and voluntary redundancy or PVR. and one final point if you are aiming for officer but dont have the grades necessary you can join as an airmen/woman and work for you a levels through the raf and get paid for it and learn about the RAF, i did it, i am awaiting my IOT dates for pilot!
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Rick
I guess I've really got my mind set on EngO as I'm from an engineering background. One thing I'm hoping will go in my favour is I'm applying for Comms/Electronics as opposed to the more glamourous Aircraft roles. Hopefully competition won't be as strong there.

Alternatively, I erm, might sort of, possibly, perhaps try going for errr Admin/Training. My age (34) knock me right out of a lot of the brackets so my choices are somewhat limited.

If all else fails, I'll stay put in the REME and apply for LE commission in 4-5 years or so, but that'll be more difficult now I've set the ball rolling for RAF commission as they'll question where my loyalties lie.

To be honest, I'm hoping that all this manpower cuts malarkey isn't as drastic as it appears. As already mentioned on this thread most of the cuts will be aimed at natural wastage, PVRs and voluntary payoffs, giving a better chance for those who want to be in to stay/join.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by davidh286)
looking through the forum there is a few bits i can help clarify, the fitness test at oasc is not a set level, how you do in the process dictates how much work you've put in preparing, the higher and harder you go the more effort it shows you have made, it can be worht an extra mark on your final score, a bad performance can reduce your final mark, eng and supply posts are still recruiting after being at a recent presentation for the RAF review it was confirmed most reduction in manpower is through natural retirement and voluntary redundancy or PVR. and one final point if you are aiming for officer but dont have the grades necessary you can join as an airmen/woman and work for you a levels through the raf and get paid for it and learn about the RAF, i did it, i am awaiting my IOT dates for pilot!
I'd agree, aircrew would be appealing, but im stuck at the first hurdle due to my eyesight. so its either Commision for admin as my first choice or to go in as a basic trades person.
For the grades, thats a sticking point, ive got to convince them that ive spent 4 years obtaining my degree and previous to that my hnc is good enough without having to worry about scottish highers. The thought of having to do 3 highers after all that ive already invested education wise isnt a nice thought.
jon.s
Report 15 years ago
i know this is slightly off the topic, but has anyone got any advice for someone preparing for oasc as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I hope I've not killed peoples' enthusiasm; while we are facing redundancies and Eng and Supply are likely to be hard hit, remember that all my comments so far on this sort of thing are based primarily on crewroom rumour.
Rumours are flying as to where the redundancies are going to come from. Admin trades (commissioned and non-commissioned) are possibly under threat as are some Eng people - we are losing one F3 Sqn and Jaguar after all.

Announcement in Nov if I recall Wzz?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jon.s)
i know this is slightly off the topic, but has anyone got any advice for someone preparing for oasc as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here?
At the risk of starting a flame war.. I think you answered your oun question (there is a wealth of knowledge on here!).

However ask away - enough "experts" on here
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
Rumours are flying as to where the redundancies are going to come from. Admin trades (commissioned and non-commissioned) are possibly under threat as are some Eng people - we are losing one F3 Sqn and Jaguar after all.

Announcement in Nov if I recall Wzz?
Something like that.

The F3 squadron going won't cause too much of an issue; we've got slots on the FJWOEU, instructing, ground tours etc abounding to absorb a few aircrew.

There's one Jag squadron remaining, so that's only a couple plus a small OCU dying. And, as far as Typhoon goes, most of the ex-Jag mates are destined for that; all the F3 and Harrier mates who are going know already, and there're no abbos for the first while.

So, even with those fleets dying off, still plenty of places for pilots to go. They've cut down recruiting and training, but the fact that the second FRI is still in place speaks volumes about the people they need.
jon.s
Report 15 years ago
my question then really is what would be the best way/s i could prepare for oasc? i am aiming for WSOp and hopefully crewman
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed