RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Something like that.

The F3 squadron going won't cause too much of an issue; we've got slots on the FJWOEU, instructing, ground tours etc abounding to absorb a few aircrew.

There's one Jag squadron remaining, so that's only a couple plus a small OCU dying. And, as far as Typhoon goes, most of the ex-Jag mates are destined for that; all the F3 and Harrier mates who are going know already, and there're no abbos for the first while.

So, even with those fleets dying off, still plenty of places for pilots to go. They've cut down recruiting and training, but the fact that the second FRI is still in place speaks volumes about the people they need.

At the risk of sounding like a thick squaddie, would it be possible to expand on some of these abbreviations so that us mere mortals who have yet to join the party know what you're talking about.

(Not just this post, but the thread in general)

T.T.F.N
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jon.s)
my question then really is what would be the best way/s i could prepare for oasc? i am aiming for WSOp and hopefully crewman

Have a read through this entire thread, there's absolutely tons of information on preparing for OASC and the format/content of the selection process. I've found it extremely helpful, and am hoping to go to OASC Jan/Feb time.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
At the risk of sounding like a thick squaddie, would it be possible to expand on some of these abbreviations so that us mere mortals who have yet to join the party know what you're talking about.

T.T.F.N

And I thought it was just me who didn't understand a word of that!
jamesfyvie
Report 14 years ago
Hi I was wondering if anyone has information on being "reboarded", well to quote the letter, "....you have been placed on a list for further consideration for commisioned service."?
I attended OASC in August and they were pretty quick in sending me a letter describing the above, and that the selection meeting is in October. I am pretty sure that the other 4 or 5 guys who got the same letter haven't heard anything either, no one got accepted straight in.
I know its only just at the halfway point through October, but any help would be appreciated.
I have another query aswell. I heard that OASC have a higher general standard of applicant around August time, due to graduates and school leavers, and therefore can be more selective? Can anyone verify this, or is it just a bit of an urban legend? And does that mean I stand a good chance of being successfully "reboarded" in October?
Any helpful information would be great.
thanks
nash_qc
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jon.s)
my question then really is what would be the best way/s i could prepare for oasc? i am aiming for WSOp and hopefully crewman
I went through OASC in august and got offered WSOp so if you've got any specific questions feel free to drop me a PM at [email protected].

Dave.
run a mile
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
Hi I was wondering if anyone has information on being "reboarded", well to quote the letter, "....you have been placed on a list for further consideration for commisioned service."?
I attended OASC in August and they were pretty quick in sending me a letter describing the above, and that the selection meeting is in October. I am pretty sure that the other 4 or 5 guys who got the same letter haven't heard anything either, no one got accepted straight in.
I know its only just at the halfway point through October, but any help would be appreciated.
I have another query aswell. I heard that OASC have a higher general standard of applicant around August time, due to graduates and school leavers, and therefore can be more selective? Can anyone verify this, or is it just a bit of an urban legend? And does that mean I stand a good chance of being successfully "reboarded" in October?
Any helpful information would be great.
thanks
Hello there James,

I attended Cranwell on the 10th August, in fact I was B5 in the same syndicate as you!

To quote one of your previous posts;

"There was one point where i was standing in a fenced area, on top of a metal cylinder, which was on top of two pieces of wood holding a plank whilst a 14 stone man walked up it."

I remember it well, it was my com sit exercise!

Anyhow, I have been offered a place on Februarys IOT but everyone else from our board that has been re-boarded (?), yourself included, has yet to find out. Something about the initial meeting being cut short having only deciding upon certain branches.

Give Cranwell a call, they might be able to tell you when the follow up meeting is going to be rescheduled.

Hope all is well.

run a mile
jamesfyvie
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by run a mile)
I attended Cranwell on the 10th August, in fact I was B5 in the same syndicate as you!
Congratulations, I had no idea, i thought we all got the same letter!! Its Patrick isn't it, so did you get pilot? I hate being in this limbo, but if youre starting in Feb, thats pretty cool, not too long to wait.
I am tempted to go down to the AFCO and see whats happening. I probably will on Thursday or Friday, i always feel like i have to make an effort when i go see them, and i'm quite enjoying the unshaven look.
Congratulations again.
My email address is [email protected]
Is yours the same??
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
And I thought it was just me who didn't understand a word of that!
Well, OCU stands for Operational Conversion Unit. I suppose the easiest way to explain it (and I'm no pilot - just a mere Corporal!) is to imagine it as training for a specific aircraft. You've learnt to fly, then you get streamed into fast-jet, multi-engine, helicopters, then you have to learn the specific aircraft you're going to fly "for real".

Think of this this way, just because you have a driving licence doesn't mean that someone is going to let you loose on a F1 car. Instead you would be expected to work your way up the Formula classes (F3, F3000 - whatever the order is...) Finally, you would have to "learn" how to drive a F1 car. That what the OCU will do.

You can (I belive) re-qualify for different aircraft - therefore you would have to complete the OCU for that type.

HTH
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
Try this website if you don't know your Acronyms.

http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/acronyms.htm

Word of warning: Some are a little bit (very) suspicious, I could have sworn some were abbreviated differently, but you'll get the idea of most.

EDIT: No abb. for newer projects/teams (ie. anything since 1940!!!)

M
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Try this website if you don't know your Acronyms.

http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/acronyms.htm

Word of warning: Some are a little bit suspicious, I could have sworn some were abbreviated differently, but you'll get the idea

M
Will you be testing us on these later?
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
Will you be testing us on these later?

(Ahem!) >taps board with pointy stick<

ROFLMAO.... Anyone?

cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
Just read this on a website and found it quite amusing - for a slow Monday afternoon.

A plane was taking off from Kennedy Airport. After it reached a comfortable cruising altitude, the captain made an announcement over the intercom, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Welcome to Flight Number 293, nonstop from New York to Los Angeles. The weather ahead is good and, therefore, we should have a smooth and uneventful flight. Now sit back and relax - OH, MY GOD!" Silence followed and after a few minutes, the captain came back on the intercom and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am so sorry if I scared you earlier; but, while I was talking, the flight attendant brought me a cup of coffee and spilled the hot coffee in my lap. You should see the front of my pants!"

A passenger in Economy said, "That's nothing. He should see the back of mine!"
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamesfyvie)
I heard that OASC have a higher general standard of applicant around August time, due to graduates and school leavers, and therefore can be more selective? Can anyone verify this, or is it just a bit of an urban legend? And does that mean I stand a good chance of being successfully "reboarded" in October?
Well, there were times of year when there was a lack of applicants, but while there was a surge in graduates etc. applying in the summer, it's not quite as two dimensional as that. It's not really any different from your perspective applying in February or August. Good luck!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

T.T.F.N
FJWOEU is the Fast Jet and Weapons Operational Evaluation Unit. OCU's been explained nicely above, and FRI is Financial Retention Initiative.

The FJWOEU refine and work out our operational doctrine with regard to jets; how we operate them, what we do with them. The FRIs are offered to experienced aircrew approaching initial pension points (IPP) to encourage them to stay longer. Forget your graduate option, and sign on for 33-38 and you get £30000, sign on at 38 to stay until you're 43 and you get £50000.

Hope that helps

And that acronym website's terrible; it's all outdated, lots of stuff doesn't exist, and loads don't feature.
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

And that acronym website's terrible; it's all outdated, lots of stuff doesn't exist, and loads don't feature.
I did caveat it WZZ ! After looking carefully at some of the other pages, i think it was done by a WW2 chap, so that's why it is outdated. I have an up-to-date one at home, i'll post it later. That is only 2 yr old, but should be better than the other one.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, I know; I wasn't criticising you for posting it.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
Well, OCU stands for Operational Conversion Unit. I suppose the easiest way to explain it (and I'm no pilot - just a mere Corporal!) is to imagine it as training for a specific aircraft. You've learnt to fly, then you get streamed into fast-jet, multi-engine, helicopters, then you have to learn the specific aircraft you're going to fly "for real".

Think of this this way, just because you have a driving licence doesn't mean that someone is going to let you loose on a F1 car. Instead you would be expected to work your way up the Formula classes (F3, F3000 - whatever the order is...) Finally, you would have to "learn" how to drive a F1 car. That what the OCU will do.

You can (I belive) re-qualify for different aircraft - therefore you would have to complete the OCU for that type.

HTH
Thanks, and to Wzz for explaining some of the terminology I just need to understand what they all are now!!
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some abbreviations to avoid:

AWOL
MIA
PVR
BSG
Locost Builder
Report 14 years ago
Some abbreviations to avoid:

AWOL
MIA
PVR
BSG
Why is abbreviation such a long word ?
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)
Why is abbreviation such a long word ?
So you can abrreviate it :P

Abrv.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise