RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

heapsey
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
hi i just got my info off cranwell so i was just wondering if anyone is off to cranwell on the 19th of december same as me?
great to hear from you if you are!
what you appling for?

cheers
martin
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
So you can abrreviate it :P

Abrv.
Thought the abbreviation of Abbreviate was Abb.?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
The the abbreviation of Abbreviate was Abb.?

And I thought it was abbr.
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
Oh dear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3758624.stm

Hope no-one gets hurt!
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Oh dear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3758624.stm

Hope no-one gets hurt!

I guess the tabloids will have a field day with that one.
peegee
Report 14 years ago
Good news from OASC. . . finally got my Pilot Scholarship through!
nik01
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by peegee)
When were you at OASC? How long have you had to wait for an answer??
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by peegee)

Congratulations. That's probably the first good news story to come out of OASC in ages!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
See? Not all doom and gloom after all.

Congratulations; now the hard stuff begins

All good fun though.
heapsey
Report 14 years ago
hi i was just wondering if someone could give some examples of the questions most likely to be asked in the interview.
i was also just wondering what topics have been asked in the discussion phase?

all info would be helpful

cheers martin
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by heapsey)
hi i was just wondering if someone could give some examples of the questions most likely to be asked in the interview.
i was also just wondering what topics have been asked in the discussion phase?

all info would be helpful

cheers martin
Rather than retype everything on this forum, why not do a search for "interview", or even make a brew, sit down and read through it all.

There's some good advice, some ropy advice and some funny stories. It would be a shame for you to miss them all.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by heapsey)
... with the size of this thread, they're likely to ask "have you read that thing about joining the RAF on UK Learning?" :rolleyes:
nik01
Report 14 years ago
Please check your PM's.

Thanks

Nik01
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
... with the size of this thread, they're likely to ask "have you read that thing about joining the RAF on UK Learning?" :rolleyes:
Only a matter of time before this thread gets the official seal of approval and becomes an integral part of all recruitment packs, OASC, and Staff College literature.
peegee
Report 14 years ago
I was in OASC in January, 18th-21st, i believe. As part of selection for RAF Pilot Scholarship, only pt.1 (med, apt and interview) are done in the A/S year. I got shortlisted in May and received confirmation of my place in September. With regard to the questions, i ended up having a really in-depth 10 minute conversation on Zimbabwe, Mugabe and the Zanu PF. In the end the current affairs stuff can be picked up fairly easily from the Economist, or the BBC news online.
nik01
Report 14 years ago
Have just got a letter from OASC saying I am being put forward for further consideration on the December Board.

As serving personnel, this is not good!!

Seems everyone has had one of these. Whats worrying is that someone who was on OASC in August was put forward for further consideration on the October Board and has now been told that they are to be considered again on the December board. Nothing like keeping you hanging on!

:confused:
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
Have just got a letter from OASC saying I am being put forward for further consideration on the December Board.

As serving personnel, this is not good!!

:confused:

As serving personnel at least you have your job to fall back on if you have to wait another year. And it's another year of preparing for the board instead of getting sidetracked by college/job offers/time out in Australia etc... (OK, granted, you MAY get some time out on Iraq... )
nik01
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
As serving personnel at least you have your job to fall back on if you have to wait another year. And it's another year of preparing for the board instead of getting sidetracked by college/job offers/time out in Australia etc... (OK, granted, you MAY get some time out on Iraq... )
Thats ok as long as Manning & Records will agree to me messing them about for another year!
Philos
Report 14 years ago
Hey all,

Just a few things i was thinkin about in bed last nite, bed being my place of deep spiritual reflection hahaha , neways if say, i was to marry inside the RAF, assuming i got in as say a pilot and married say a senior NCO Air Traffic Controller, If i was to be moved from say Marham to Lossiemouth for 4 years would the RAF conside moving my wife aswell, or would that me an intirly different matter, and could we (me and my future air traffic conroller wife who hasnt actually materialised yet) be seperated for all the years im posted some where, and does it work the other way round, so if she was to be posted somewhere, if she was a jounior rank to myself would they (the RAF) keep her with me or would i move with her, or not at all. Hope thats ok to understand, im kinda confusing myslef here lol

Thanks all chears
Phil :cool: :cool:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
Just a few things i was thinkin about in bed last nite, bed being my place of deep spiritual reflection hahaha , neways if say, i was to marry inside the RAF, assuming i got in as say a pilot and married say a senior NCO Air Traffic Controller, If i was to be moved from say Marham to Lossiemouth for 4 years would the RAF conside moving my wife aswell, or would that me an intirly different matter, and could we (me and my future air traffic conroller wife who hasnt actually materialised yet) be seperated for all the years im posted some where, and does it work the other way round, so if she was to be posted somewhere, if she was a jounior rank to myself would they (the RAF) keep her with me or would i move with her, or not at all. Hope thats ok to understand, im kinda confusing myslef here lol
Err... ok...

Well, they try to do their best. Evidently we've decided you're going to be a GR4 mate, so you're going to be spending your flying time at either Lossie or Marham, while your ATC girlie can go to any flying station.

However, as I mentioned before, your poster IS human; if your wife is offered a post at Leeming or Linton, you can call him up and say you've actually always wanted to be a Linton-based Tucano instructor; does he have any openings? He'll likely do his best.

Likewise if you get posted from 617 to II(AC) then your girlie's going to have to start asking nicely if she can move to Marham, or Colt (well, not by the time you're married!) or something like that.

I'm less sure how postings work for SNCOs, but I know that with a desk officer on the end of the phone you can only ask, and they'll try to co-locate you.

However, co-location I think means places of work within a fixed distance; I forget what it is, but it's probably around 100 miles.

Follow the ancient pilot tradition; you have to marry an exceptionally cute doctor, nurse, teacher, or someone else who can move around, to avoid the equally traditional aircrew divorce in a few years....

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.36%
No - I got the required grades (124)
56.88%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (30)
13.76%

Watched Threads