Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nik01)
    Thats ok as long as Manning & Records will agree to me messing them about for another year!
    Yeah, but you're not exactly messing them around are you? Your application doesn't affect your posting or your promotion prospects, it simply means you have to apply for a second time in a year's time. Your desk officer simply needs to out qualified personell into empty slots, so it's no skin off their nose if you're going to go through the process again as long as you can do your job satisfactorily in the mean time. It's pretty much the same as sticking in a pref posting form... they don't care who goes where as long as the job gets done and the people they send are up to the job. As long as you meet these requirements they should be pretty accomodating.

That said, that's just from my experience in the Army. I can only assume it's fundamentally the same (if not a damn sight better) in the RAF.

It's much harder trying to apply cross-services especially whilst serving a 4 year time-bar, believe me. (Even worse when your new Commanding Officer is the very same person who declined your initial application because of said time-bar, only to be overruled by DMA).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Yeah, but you're not exactly messing them around are you? Your application doesn't affect your posting or your promotion prospects, it simply means you have to apply for a second time in a year's time. Your desk officer simply needs to out qualified personell into empty slots, so it's no skin off their nose if you're going to go through the process again as long as you can do your job satisfactorily in the mean time. It's pretty much the same as sticking in a pref posting form... they don't care who goes where as long as the job gets done and the people they send are up to the job. As long as you meet these requirements they should be pretty accomodating.
    I would have thought that a posted wanted to put someone qualified and keen and available into a post; while someone applying to join another service is obviously qualified, and it'd be desperately unprofessional of me to claim anyone would be any less than keen for any posting, but if there's a chance they might get spirited out into IOT before the posting's complete, they could be left with an annoyingly gapped post.

I know that people obviously become available for postings at all times, but the situation must arise where a delay affects you by making you not less qualified but less desirable for some plum postings.

OASC ran like clockwork when I was there :rolleyes:

Good luck Nik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)

That said, that's just from my experience in the Army. I can only assume it's fundamentally the same (if not a damn sight better) in the RAF.

It's much harder trying to apply cross-services especially whilst serving a 4 year time-bar, believe me. (Even worse when your new Commanding Officer is the very same person who declined your initial application because of said time-bar, only to be overruled by DMA).

I would agree it's not supposed to affect your promotion/posting prospects but in reality that's not always the case.
    Depending on your job, rank, appointment etc the goal posts are moved accordingly...
    As you said that's your experience in the Army. Mine in the same Army has been totally different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I would have thought that a posted wanted to put someone qualified and keen and available into a post; while someone applying to join another service is obviously qualified, and it'd be desperately unprofessional of me to claim anyone would be any less than keen for any posting, but if there's a chance they might get spirited out into IOT before the posting's complete, they could be left with an annoyingly gapped post.
    Just because a person is willing to develop their career it doesn't mean they are less than keen to do their current job. I was under the impression that once you rise to the dizzy heights of management it was amongst your responsibilities to manage the careers and development of your subordinates.
    (Something which a lot of junior officers seem to lose sight of).

Admittedly there would be a gapped post if IOT were to beckon, but that is no different to the gapped post that would result if a tradesman/woman were to be sent on a career course within their own service. A lot of career courses within many of the Corps in the Army are 6 months plus, which automatically results in that person being posted out as opposed to detached, thus allowing someone else to fill that slot without an extended gapped period.
    These courses are loaded by Manning and Records, and in some cases occur within just a few weeks/months of a person being posted in.

Similarly, any handover/takeover period for a routine posting results in the gaining unit being temporarily overmanned, whilst the losing unit is undermanned. It's inevitable and expected.

(Original post by Wzz)
    I know that people obviously become available for postings at all times, but the situation must arise where a delay affects you by making you not less qualified but less desirable for some plum postings.

Fair one, there could be a detrimental effect on desirability for a post. But isn't that the same as a plum posting being available when you're 2 years into a 3 year post? Some you win, some you lose.

J

ReputationRep:
    And anyway.. all my ranting is purley academic if Nik gets the result he's looking for.

Good luck Nik.

ReputationRep:
    finally set about joining the ATC. Havent started yet, but does anyone know anything about the Cadet pilot scholarship thing? I know you need GCSE in maths English ect which i have, but is their any other factors, such as length of time being a member, and how difficult it is toget them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
    finally set about joining the ATC. Havent started yet, but does anyone know anything about the Cadet pilot scholarship thing? I know you need GCSE in maths English ect which i have, but is their any other factors, such as length of time being a member, and how difficult it is toget them?

Jamie, I copied this directly from the RAF careers site:

Your role as a pilot in the RAF is as varied as the aircraft you can fly. Once you’ve completed initial training, you’ll be selected for fast-jet, multi-engine or rotary-wing streams. You’ll then receive further training on the aircraft type you’ve been assigned to, before becoming ‘combat ready’. As the pilot of a Tornado, your primary role will be air-to-air combat or ground attack. In a Hercules transport aircraft, you could be sent anywhere in the world on military support or humanitarian aid missions. In a helicopter your duties might include anything from search and rescue flights to ferrying troops and equipment into combat zones.

Sponsorship
    We may be able to invest in your future by funding your studies until you’re ready to start training as a Pilot.

You can apply for an RAF Pilot Scholarship of £1,000 during the Sixth Form if you do not intend to go to university. Alternatively, you can apply for a Sixth Form Scholarship of £1,000, followed by a University Bursary of £1,000 a year if you do a degree. In return, we ask you to become a member of the University Air Squadron (or Air Training Corps while you’re at school) and to join the RAF once you finish your studies.

As well as financial support, it’s an opportunity to get first-hand experience of the challenges you’ll face working with our people, technology and aircraft – and we’ll also give you free flying lessons!

To find out more, contact an RAF Senior Careers Liaison Officer via the careers staff at your school or college – or visit your local AFCO.

Have a look on here http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_f...file_pilot.cfm

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:

If you're in Peterborough the contact details for your AFCO are:

AFCO (RAF)
    23 Hereward Cross
    PETERBOROUGH
    PE1 1TB

T: 01733 569669
    F: 01733 568481
    E: [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

i know i haven't been on this site for a while but had been trying not to think about what oasc would say since june! anyway, got back from work yesterday to find a big brown envelope! been offered int, with a provisional start date of may 29 (the day after my birthday). absolutely stoked right now - cannot stop smiling. got to go to chicksands in december for more tests, and got loads of extra security forms to fill in, medical bits to sort out etc but its all good.
    board report makes interesting reading. upset me a bit last night, but read it again this morning and its not too bad - its just really hard to read such blunt comments about your weak points. they crititcised my practical problem solving skills, but my interview went really well (64 out of 81) and they did say some positive things as well.
    happy days!
    i don't know if anyone else is still waiting. one of the guys i went through oasc with in june (an engineer wannabe) has to wait til dec to find out. which means, i think out of my oasc we've had 3 offers - 2 accpeted, and one still waiting.
    anyway, got to get ready for work (via the gym - fitness suddenly a big priority again). thanks to everyone on here for all the advice etc over the past year or so. good luck to anyone whose waiting/in the process
    vix xxx

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how the different sections of the selection process at OASC are weighted? Is each section worth an equal number/perecentage of marks, or do some sections carry more marks, and therefore more importance in terms of doing well, than others? Is the total score out of say 100 for each section, with the combined score of all sections going towards that, or is the scoring done differently? Also, is there a minimum mark that has to be achieved for each section in order to pass overall e.g.if you do exceptionally well in one area but less so in another, would this negate the 'poor' score?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm sure there's enough experts on here to answer them for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nik01)
    As you said that's your experience in the Army. Mine in the same Army has been totally different.

I thought I recognised that cynicism of all things Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Jamie_JAGGERS

Hi everyone
    The cadet Pilot scheme for (for air cadets only, im not talking about the raf sholarship) provides flying experience for selected cadets who wish to persue a career in aviation.
    There are 3 types of courses that cadets can be selected for;
    *Air cadet light aircraft course,12hrs flying up til first solo(conducted at civilian flying school)
    *Air cadet microlight course,10hrs flying up til first solo (conducted at an raf microlight club)
    *Air cadet experience flight course (aef),10 hrs flying training at an raf aef. al aspects of applied service flying are coverd,including advanced handeling and airobatics.
    for all of these you need to be 16+ to apply and 17+ to start, have gcses in maths n English language(or be predicted to gain these)and completed gliding solo.
    Talk to your sqn comander to apply Hope that helps to answer your question. wizzcidd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyOneCanOweMe)
    As a fast jet pilot, when your up there looping the loop and doing all that fancy stuff for a lot of hours at a time, do you take a packed lunch with you into the cockpit?
    If you do, what is the pilot's preferred lunch box? Do you go for a Power Rangers one or My Little Pony?
    Who makes your lunch for you?
    Can you also take a tartan flask for your cocoa?
    Because of all the sensitive electrics and stuff in the plane (aircraft to you Wzz) do you have to remove the tinfoil bit from your Kitkats or is it just easier to take a King Size Yorkie bar and pretend you are a really fast trucker on the run from the traffic cops?
    OOCOM, are you/have you applied for any post in this country's armed forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyOneCanOweMe)
    I applied for the Salvation Army, but they wouldn't give me a gun. They said I could have a tambourine though.
    I said I would think about it.

Your replies are certainly entertaining. Seriously, are you interested in a career in the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizzcidd)
    Originally Posted by Jamie_JAGGERS

Hi everyone
    The cadet Pilot scheme for (for air cadets only, im not talking about the raf sholarship) provides flying experience for selected cadets who wish to persue a career in aviation.
    There are 3 types of courses that cadets can be selected for;
    *Air cadet light aircraft course,12hrs flying up til first solo(conducted at civilian flying school)
    *Air cadet microlight course,10hrs flying up til first solo (conducted at an raf microlight club)
    *Air cadet experience flight course (aef),10 hrs flying training at an raf aef. al aspects of applied service flying are coverd,including advanced handeling and airobatics.
    for all of these you need to be 16+ to apply and 17+ to start, have gcses in maths n English language(or be predicted to gain these)and completed gliding solo.
    Talk to your sqn comander to apply Hope that helps to answer your question. wizzcidd

Sorry, I obviously hadn't read the question properly and had just assumed he meant pilot scholarship;not cadet pilot scholarship.!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heapsey)
    hi i was just wondering if someone could give some examples of the questions most likely to be asked in the interview.
    i was also just wondering what topics have been asked in the discussion phase?

all info would be helpful

cheers martin

I've sent you a pm with a list of the questions sent to me from someone who's recently been.

ReputationRep:

Sorry, for posting the wrong reply. Hopefully you've got the right info now!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know that this has been mentioned various times before onthis forum but I would just like to varify this.
    What exactly must sixth form and uni sholarship candidates do when they go to raf cranwell? As I understand it, only the aptitude tests, the medical and the interview.
    Just sounds abit easy thats all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikki)
    i been offered int, with a provisional start date of may 29 (the day after my birthday).
    I assume that puts you on 216 IOT.

I'm on 215 IOT on the 3rd of April (two days before my birthday). You'll be at Cranwell at the same time as me.

I look forward to the inter course sports.

BW

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice people, well i sent an e-mail to my local ATC and am waiting for the reply... Hopefully i can get involved with the pilot scholarships scheme, as suggested here thanks agen

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.