Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
ur name looks somewhat familiar
Whose, mine or Cathy's?
creativesurgeon
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NickNack)
It wont be a straight "no we wont have u cos ur from NI", otherwise u could sue for racism. NI is still part of the UK, and what they want are people who have been british citizens for 3+ years. Applications may go through additional background checks, but, assuming you dont have any dark secrets in your past you/ur bro have as much chance as the next person. They do advertise equal opportunities after all
Yeah, I did say "MAY not take you". I know, I have Irish relations who are currently serving in Iraq and Kosovo with the land-based Armed Forces.
Shen
Report 16 years ago
Rang OASC today and they had no problem moving my board from 12th to 18th so cheers for all your help....

Anyone there on the 18th?

Shen
NickNack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Shen)
Rang OASC today and they had no problem moving my board from 12th to 18th so cheers for all your help....

Anyone there on the 18th?

Shen
Is that the 18th of Jan? if so ill be there, after a nice enjoyable 4.5 hour train journey to Grantham, wherever that is!
Shen
Report 16 years ago
Yea it is the 18th of January

Check out www.thetrainline.co.uk for ticket prices etc

Shen
Shen
Report 16 years ago
sorry (hope it works this time) its [>www.thetrainline.com>] Hope that works...

Shen
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Shen)
sorry (hope it works this time) its [>www.thetrainline.com>] Hope that works...

Shen
thats great thanks, would cost me £102 to get there and back if not for the travel pass!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll be very far from Cranwell then, thankfully. Enjoy selection; if you've not been before, feel free to drop me an email with any questions about your stay at Cranditz.
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I'll be very far from Cranwell then, thankfully...
Now now Wzz, surely us potential new recruits dont smell that bad!
Ringo Starry
Report 16 years ago
I think the most important thing u need 4 wanting 2 become a pilot is just good old determination!!! p.s. If u fly into a stall, raise ur speed up to 60 knots x x x
cochrane_jo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Good eyesite,
being able to multi-task (fly while changing settings on computer)
awareness
decisiveness

Maths and physics usually required for pilots I believe.
Hi, dont no who you are but u seem to be pretty clued up so heres my question. im goin to join the raf, ive got my aptitude test on the 10th of this month ( dec ) , but im not sure of what fitness levels ive got to be at. im not sure of what i want to be in the raf yet but somthing like doghandler sounds really good. can u tell me all about the level of fitness and the weight ive got to be at for this asap please, thanks.
Echo
Report 16 years ago
The pay is massively out of kilter; where did that come from? £28 500 isn't an officer pay rate at all. An Acting Pilot Officer kicks off on around £15k, a Pilot Officer at £19k, a Flying Officer at £23k and a Flight Lieutenant at £30k. The rank you start at depends on qualifications, specifically whether or not you have a degree, and what type of degree that is. Once you've been flying for approximately a year you'll get flying pay on top of regular pay which is around £3.6k on the initial rate, rising every 4 years. Your regular pay also rises every year, and your promotion to Flight Lieutenant is guaranteed, but how long it takes depends on qualifications. After that, promotion is on merit.

To earn £83k you have to be up at Air rank, which is not particularly common. Even then, the lowest Air rank only pays around £65k, and the flying pay rules once you're a senior officer work differently.
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Echo)
The pay is massively out of kilter; where did that come from? £28 500 isn't an officer pay rate at all.

Your both right and wrong here, £28,500 isnt a standard officers pay, eg for arguments, an Engineer. However, it is for Aircrew officers, such as pilots. At the rank of Flying officer, you would get a min of ~£24,200 + a minimum flying allowance of ~£4,300.

Again, to earn ~£83k as an Aircrew Officer (Pilot, Gunner, Navigator etc)you would be a Group Captain on the max of ~$70,000 + annual flying allowance of ~£13,000.

This comes straight from the officer financial package leaflet so I doubt that its wrong. However, personally I don't think joining the RAF should be based on how much gets paid into your bank, but on the principle of what it stands for. Granted though, its always nice to get a nice big paycheque
lbm
Report 16 years ago
Having applied to the RAF a few months ago, and so likely to be down for OASC toward the end of Jan, I decided to quickly gain a PPL whilst i was waiting, now only a few hours from the 45 i need to gain my pilots license i am wondering if previous flight experience outside of ATC or UAS is actually looked upon as a good thing at OASC?

As i'm not quite as young as most of the people on this thread, i'm only going to get one shot at the RAF (then it might have to be the Air Corps, damn) and so don't want to screw it up. However, i have some doubts that have been put in my head by people with a lot more experience than me, so; is it true that once at OASC any deviation in the opinion that i want to be just a pilot and nothing else will usually end in you being shunted into a career in the RAF that you might not have originally intended.

Also, something that just keeps on cropping up is references to snobbery and 'jobs for the boys', i.e. if you are going great at OASC but just happen to be applying alongside the son of an RAF officer, you are screwed. And also, is a distinct leaning towards the more public school-like element in recruitment of pilots happening?
I appreciate a certain amount of an 'old boy system' exists in the officer class in the armed forces but if it crops its head up in something so obviously ability and merit based as being selected as a pilot i'm not sure that i want to be part of that institution. Apart from that i don't feel too unsure on anything that is within my control, to fail due to stuff like lack of knowledge on the RAF and physical fitness would just be a school boy error.
Anyway, hopefully someone on this thread who knows i.e. WZZ etc. might be able to clear those three things up for me. I'll go for it regardless of course but it will ease my mind a bit, as asking these things at interview would go down like a sack of cack.

Cheers
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll tell you as much as I know from speaking to people (mainly Wzz!)

First and foremost you are applying to be an Officer in the RAF, Pilot comes second. Usually people applying to be pilots put down a ground branch as a 2nd choice incase they don't make Pilot; this obviously shows they are interested in an Officer career and not just being a Pilot. So if you had other branch interests I wouldn't have thought it would look bad at OASC, sensible more like!

Don't really know much about the jobs for the boys thing, although I think that might be more an Army Officer thing than an RAf one. I'm sure it's all based on natural ability, personal drive etc rather than how posh you are and where you went to school.

Have you got a date yet for OASC? I thought jan/feb was all 6th formers going for sponsorship?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NickNack)
Your both right and wrong here, £28,500 isnt a standard officers pay, eg for arguments, an Engineer. However, it is for Aircrew officers, such as pilots. At the rank of Flying officer, you would get a min of ~£24,200 + a minimum flying allowance of ~£4,300.

Again, to earn ~£83k as an Aircrew Officer (Pilot, Gunner, Navigator etc)you would be a Group Captain on the max of ~$70,000 + annual flying allowance of ~£13,000.

This comes straight from the officer financial package leaflet so I doubt that its wrong. However, personally I don't think joining the RAF should be based on how much gets paid into your bank, but on the principle of what it stands for. Granted though, its always nice to get a nice big paycheque
Gunner? The only gunners in the RAF are the RAF Regiment guys, and they're ground based.

Remember, you don't get flying pay until you've completed at least EFT and your appropriate BFT, or thereabouts. And once you're at the rank of Wing Commander, you no longer earn the standard flying pay rates, you *drop* to a lower rate for senior officers.

As a Flying Officer, you'll earn about £75 a day, pre tax, paying for accommodation and food out of your pay at source. But you won't be a Flying Officer straight off, unless you go through IOT with a degree in your pocket. Through IOT you'll be paid as a cadet if you're straight from school, or a Pilot Officer if you're a graduate.

Realistically expect to earn £19k while at IOT, £24k through EFT and BFJT moving to £27.5k when flying pay kicks in, then £33k when you get promoted to Flight Lieutenant, then up a small amount annually plus an increase in flying pay after 4 years.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lbm)
Having applied to the RAF a few months ago, and so likely to be down for OASC toward the end of Jan, I decided to quickly gain a PPL whilst i was waiting, now only a few hours from the 45 i need to gain my pilots license i am wondering if previous flight experience outside of ATC or UAS is actually looked upon as a good thing at OASC?
It depends. It won't get you in when you wouldn't have got in anyway, if you know what I mean. In a sense it can make things difficult; you're learning civilian rules and regulations and will not get any credit towards EFT. You'll still have to do the full EFT syllabus, starting with effects of controls and straight and level etc.

Some people find that experience of aircraft handling helps, and you do get the experience of being airborne. However, we don't do square circuits, and almost all our procedures and techniques are different. Depends on how your brain works, therefore, whether it's good or bad.

OASC won't mind at all though. Shows a bit of determination that you're gaining air experience if nothing else. Best advice I can give is that you should forget it when you get to EFT though, and concentrate on military flying first.

(Original post by lbm)
As i'm not quite as young as most of the people on this thread, i'm only going to get one shot at the RAF (then it might have to be the Air Corps, damn) and so don't want to screw it up. However, i have some doubts that have been put in my head by people with a lot more experience than me, so; is it true that once at OASC any deviation in the opinion that i want to be just a pilot and nothing else will usually end in you being shunted into a career in the RAF that you might not have originally intended.
Not at all. I applied for about 8 jobs, and the attitude they want is what Cathy's said. You're an officer first and a pilot second. They want someone who'll stay in if you fail flying training in a different role, or if you're medically downgraded in the future. It reflects well if you are willing to consider careers outside of flying.

If you fail pilot aptitude, you won't be offerred pilot; they'll move down the list in your order, and you'll be told this during the debrief at the end of part one selection.

They will *NOT* offer you engineer or whatever just because you put it down, if pilot is your first choice and you pass the aptitude tests for that. You'll only be given the option of something other than pilot if a). you specified on your form you'd consider it and b). you're unsuitable for pilot.

(Original post by lbm)
Also, something that just keeps on cropping up is references to snobbery and 'jobs for the boys', i.e. if you are going great at OASC but just happen to be applying alongside the son of an RAF officer, you are screwed. And also, is a distinct leaning towards the more public school-like element in recruitment of pilots happening?
Absolutely, absolutely not. There's no sign of anything like this at OASC. I know plenty of RAF officers' children who have failed, and plenty of people with no forces connections who get in. It's a raw meritocracy. There's no leaning towards public schoolboys either. On my course through flying training, we had one Oxford graduate, and the rest were a mix. I went to the local comprehensive in a small Scottish town. A friend joined with barely 3 A levels from a terrible school.

This isn't the Army. You don't select people for flying based on their upbringing, or you'd end up with a lot of crashed jets. Get into an officers' mess on a fast jet station and you'll see an almost bizarre cross section of characters.

On my original selection board I met a bloke with all the connections, certificates, and things you could imagine. PPL, music, ski-ing, dad's a pilot, etc etc. I got in, despite wearing a cheap suit from Next; I've never met him again, and the RAF is quite small.

(Original post by lbm)
I appreciate a certain amount of an 'old boy system' exists in the officer class in the armed forces but if it crops its head up in something so obviously ability and merit based as being selected as a pilot i'm not sure that i want to be part of that institution.
Don't worry about it. And good luck, email me if you've got any more specific questions.
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok if u want to be perdantic about it Wzz, a "Weapons Systems Officer"

Also, u keep saying email u but u havent left ur email address anywhere and it wont let us email u through your profile thing. Just thought id point it out...
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's odd; I've had a good few emails from people who've got it here.

If you go to my profile, it'll show you my email address, so just use it that way.

Alternatively, [email protected]. There you go.

And I do want to be pedantic; although I'd like to see the reaction if you call navs "gunners" at OASC!
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
That's odd; I've had a good few emails from people who've got it here.

If you go to my profile, it'll show you my email address, so just use it that way.

Alternatively, [email protected]. There you go.

And I do want to be pedantic; although I'd like to see the reaction if you call navs "gunners" at OASC!
oh pooh you Mr Perdantic poohey person! They may control weapon systems, thus guns, so therefore they're gunners! u just wish u had my FAR superior skills of deduction :cool: . tell u what, when im up there ill call them gunners and let u know their reaction if itll make u happy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise