RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by OnlyOneCanOweMe)
Actually yes! I got my careers presentation thing in Newcastle next month. I'm thinking of going for Intelligence branch but I'm not sure if I should go officer or aircraftman. I don't know if being an officer is too hard but I dont want to be shouted at all the time and do push ups in the mud.
Ah, another one with no research done!

Being an officer isn't hard if you're a relatively competent human being.

Airmen are not shouted at unless they screw up. And if an officer screws up, you can expect a few heated words from your flight commander as well. No-one gets shouted at all the time, and I've done some pressups in wet grass at IOT, but never mud. I've hidden in mud on survival exercises, but that's about it.

Stop watching Full Metal Jacket and thinking it's what the forces are like! Even Top Gun's closer to the truth....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
I'm on 215 IOT on the 3rd of April (two days before my birthday). You'll be at Cranwell at the same time as me.

I look forward to the inter course sports.
Well done; welcome (in advance) to the mighty Dolphins!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by OnlyOneCanOweMe)
I've decided to go to uni and study law instead.Maybe the military isnt for me if they cant take a joke.
As I'm reading these in order, I'm sure there's a dozen replies on the next page on humour in the military. Don't worry; the military works on banter

Your Biggles comment reminded me of something I heard about RN SHAR pilots doing when Joint Force Harrier started off at Cottesmore. They were surprised to see RAF pilots going to work wearing leather jackets with rank slides and little wings badges (very popular in the fast jet world), so decided to take the piss by all rocking up to work wearing WW2 vintage Irwin flying jackets.

Unusual for the Navy to snipe at the RAF for being a bit on the posey side, but I suppose they're still jealous that their uniform's basically just a double breasted suit....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wizzcidd)
Hi, I know that this has been mentioned various times before onthis forum but I would just like to varify this.
What exactly must sixth form and uni sholarship candidates do when they go to raf cranwell? As I understand it, only the aptitude tests, the medical and the interview.
Just sounds abit easy thats all
University Bursary candidates do the whole thing. 6FS types do part 1, then part 2 before going to IOT.
Blue_Wolf75
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well done; welcome (in advance) to the mighty Dolphins!!
Cheers
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
The Harrier's target-seeker had locked on to the'enemy' radar and triggered an automatic retaliatory air-to-surface missile attack. Luckily(?) the Harrier was operating unarmed.
errr..... no.

It doesn't have any such kit; the RHWR would pick up a "spike" from an unfriendly radar, but all it does it tell you where it's coming from, range, and give you a best guess as to what it might be. It's up to you to identify the threat, but we tend to hide and run rather than turn TOWARDS a radar threat and try and fight it....!

There's certainly no function to automatically fire when a radar's detected. What if your mate in his F3 flies past; he can't control what his radar looks at! We have weapons you can launch at a target (ALARM) and ask them to wait and loiter until a radar of a certain type reappears, but that's a completely different thing.

Besides, if we did have such a function, would we arm it in the UK.... and carry live anti radiation missiles??
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Result: A few snot bubbles inside an S10.

Like I said, humour in adversity.
Mmmm. I have CCS next week.....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
Cheers
You're on C Squadron. I'll post you a fluffy dolphin from my time at IOT if you want a slightly ragged mascot.

I think he was called either Charlie (get it?) or "Spanky the Dolphin" depending on who you asked...
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heads go up, up, up, and ten thousand penguins fall over gently onto their backs.
They actually tested this and found it to be urban myth. Or they were smarter, 3rd generation penguins.

He painted, in 6 foot high, bright pink, letters, "Piss Off Biggles".
True!
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
You're on C Squadron. I'll post you a fluffy dolphin from my time at IOT if you want a slightly ragged mascot.

I think he was called either Charlie (get it?) or "Spanky the Dolphin" depending on who you asked...
Cool, that would be great, I've got mates from my board on the same course who have a liking for practical jokes, so he may become a calling card. (it's cheaper than buying boxes of wham bars).
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
As WZZ points out, most of them are urban myths, but the banter in the mess bar beforehand undoubtedly leads on to the rumours being proven/disproven.

I remember one last month when in the mess at Coltishall. One of the guys' (thing he was ops/atc) girlfriend was stationed at Leeming and was Duty Officer for the night. He managed to convince one of his slightly inebriated colleagues to ring the RAF Police to report a "low flying object" with "bright lights" hovering over his "fields" (ie. a UFO)

As night flying at Leeming wasn't scheduled, RAFP called duty officer to investigate and do whatever they do for that kind of thing.

I think he gave it 45 minutes (2 rounds of drinks) before calling on her mobile and 'fessing up. She wasn't happy. Apparently it served her right as she had him investigated for something or other some months earlier.
soja
Report 14 years ago
can any1 pls advice me how to access this chat page (RAF:Officer Entry). I got here from surfing the web and I like the chat-site as I'm keenly interested in joining RAF.
Cheers.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soja)
can any1 pls advice me how to access this chat page (RAF:Officer Entry). I got here from surfing the web and I like the chat-site as I'm keenly interested in joining RAF.
Cheers.
:confused:

Surely, the fact that you posted means that you've accessed the thread.
Unless I'm missing something really obvious.

Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)

Surely, the fact that you posted means that you've accessed the thread.
Unless I'm missing something really obvious.

I think they're implying they (sorry don't know the gender) arrived at the site via several other sites. It would have still shown the web address though:confused:

A second point is that the person would be unable to view any replies to the question because they would have to gain access to this thread to be able to do that, and if they're asking for advice on how to access it :confused: ...........I'll stop rambling now, I think people get the picture.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I think they're implying they (sorry don't know the gender) arrived at the site via several other sites. It would have still shown the web address though:confused:

A second point is that the person would be unable to view any replies to the question because they would have to gain access to this thread to be able to do that, and if they're asking for advice on how to access it :confused: ...........I'll stop rambling now, I think people get the picture.

Maybe the 'History' button, followed by the 'Favourites' button on their browser will help.
Call it the elementary level of the aptitude test.
soja
Report 14 years ago
Thanks for sounding me out about History & Favourites browser. I can now find my way around easily without getting lost
Some questions pls:
How long does it take to get a decision after AFCO interview?
Which month does the real course/training start at RAF Cranwell for those who passed at OASC?
Can I be advised as to my best choice of Officer branch entry? I have Hons. in geology; graduate diploma in petroleum geology and another graduate diploma in technical writing/technical communication.
Cheers.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soja)
Thanks for sounding me out about History & Favourites browser. I can now find my way around easily without getting lost
Some questions pls:
How long does it take to get a decision after AFCO interview?
Which month does the real course/training start at RAF Cranwell for those who passed at OASC?
Can I be advised as to my best choice of Officer branch entry? I have Hons. in geology; graduate diploma in petroleum geology and another graduate diploma in technical writing/technical communication.
Cheers.
I'll try answer as best I can from when these have appeared in the thread (I do recomend reading it from the start, may take a few hours but youve got everything to gain and only a bit of time to loose by doing so)
After the initial AFCO interview, this could take between a month to two months if I remember rightly.

Then if they give the go ahead your given a date for OASC, which usualy seems to be 6 months later at the least.
OASC im not really going to stick a time frame on for hearing back, as at the moment there is alot of october sifts being done that confuses this.
If you have had a look at www.rafcareers.co.uk at the officer branches then hopefully you can work out what you have a preference for and then visit an AFCO to talk about this. They might be able to feed suggestions to you but at this point they can only go by your interest in an area really. OASC is where this might be found out, if you dont meet selection for your chosen branch they might suggest another thats better suited for you.

Its always good to have the degree, but dont let that limit what you think you can or cant do. Mines an IT/Management degree but that doesnt sway me either way between admin branch or atc branch.

hope some of this helps and if anything ive said is wrong, feel free to correct me
soja
Report 14 years ago
Hiya Scorg, I really appreciate your advice and I must admit I admire your sense of expression. I do agree with you on the degree angle though. It seems the selection processes will last for nothing less than 8 months! I guess RAF career is worth the long wait anyway. I will check out the website and hopefully gain better insight. So are you in the RAF now or still chasing selection?
Keep in touch please.
Peace out.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soja)
Hiya Scorg, I really appreciate your advice and I must admit I admire your sense of expression. I do agree with you on the degree angle though. It seems the selection processes will last for nothing less than 8 months! I guess RAF career is worth the long wait anyway. I will check out the website and hopefully gain better insight. So are you in the RAF now or still chasing selection?
Keep in touch please.
Peace out.
Thats not a problem and thanks for the complement!
The whole process is definetly lengthy nowadays with some people waiting over a year from day 1 visit to AFCO and getting the application ball rolling to starting IOT. Its very true that an RAF career can be worth the wait, as its something your going to get something out of in more ways then one and will have some great experences.
For the moment im not in the RAF (at a large media company at the mo). Ive not started the application process as im currently trying to get the tick boxes that the AFCO like before applying.
Like an interest in sports, Clubs and groups, fitness training (which ive been doing in groups) with the rest of time keeping up on current affairs and raf/nato/un affairs.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)

Then if they give the go ahead your given a date for OASC, which usualy seems to be 6 months later at the least.
Is that a certainty? I ask for my own application which I'm due to submit very soon - if it's true (or generally true) I can complete my OU honours degree (30 points to do with my 1st in the bag!) next February and not worry about getting the thumbs up from OASC in April, wasting a few hundred pounds in the process (not that I would complain or anything!!)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise