Rab
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Thats were you look really good if you can tell your interviewer all about the training scheldules and what will happen to you.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
Thats were you look really good if you can tell your interviewer all about the training scheldules and what will happen to you.

I understand from others who've been that you're expected to know the career structures and training of your chosen branch as a matter of course
Rab
Report 15 years ago
That is correct and where you could serve
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
That is correct and where you could serve

So, if you're just doing part 1, are you applying for 6FS also?
Rab
Report 15 years ago
Yeah i am. What topics are you doing for your current affairs?
nash_qc
Report 15 years ago
i am due to start basic training at halton in january and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i will be allowed to take things such as my mobile phone, iPod, etc with me. any help appreciated.
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nash_qc)
i am due to start basic training at halton in january and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i will be allowed to take things such as my mobile phone, iPod, etc with me. any help appreciated.
Yeah, you can do, but during training hours they must be switched off and kept in your locker.

Word of warning: when you get some spare time, don't sit there txt y'r m8ts. Sit and chew the fat with your room buddies and ***** about the instructors. it builds team spirit and you will get to know each other faster. Yeah, sure ring your mom, gf or whoever, but you'd be amazed at the reports i see where no-one talks to each other and they just sit texting their phone-buddies!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I haven't, and I don't think any of my immediate group of friends have either. I'm not sure whether that's a positive or negative thing really....depends how you look at it!
I'd say it's fairly positive. Don't worry about it.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by soja)
is it true that there is a swimming test also?
Yes there is. Different for aircrew; we have 2 lengths in a flying suit, followed by 2 mins of treading water and leaving the pool unassisted.

If I remember right; been years since I did it; the standard one is 6 lengths, 2 freestyle, 2 on your back, and 2 breaststroke.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by soja)
ave never swim before in ma life, does that mean i gotta learn b4 oasc? are there any specific dates for oasc?
You have to before IOT; swimming takes up maybe a quarter of all the PT sessions, and you'll need to before you go adventurous training so you can do kayaking etc.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is anyone going to answer this one??
It's really really really hard to explain. No one particular stage marks you out that much.

For example, if you ace the aptitude tests for your branch, they might well let a slightly weaker interview slide. Likewise, a scraped pass at aptitude with an incredible grade 7 interview might help your case; unless you're a pilot, in which case aptitude takes a little bit more weight than it does for some other branches.

Likewise the part 2 things. If you ace the command situation, but didn't contribute much to the group discussion, all isn't lost; but they like you to be rounded.

Better to have a 5 for the discussion, and a 5 for the command task, rather than a 3 for the discussion and a 7 for the command task. Weighting in the sense you're thinking of doesn't really apply; but the WAY you perform in certain aspects will change how close to the assesors' minds it is when they come to report on you.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by soja)
ave never swim before in ma life, does that mean i gotta learn b4 oasc? are there any specific dates for oasc?
You have to before IOT; swimming takes up maybe a quarter of all the PT sessions, and you'll need to before you go adventurous training so you can do kayaking etc.
heapsey
Report 15 years ago
hi ive just been treading some posts and im just wondering why im going to OASC on the 19th DEC when i only had my interview 27th sep , when other people have had their interviews before and are going in feb 05???
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know how they assign slots for OASC. Maybe they just had a spare place at that time because someone dropped out, or maybe they have a place for a candidates for a particular branch;who knows.
Rhys
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by heapsey)
hi ive just been treading some posts and im just wondering why im going to OASC on the 19th DEC when i only had my interview 27th sep , when other people have had their interviews before and are going in feb 05???
What branch are you applying for?
Maybe numbers of people applying have dropped due to the end of the acedemic year shift? A friend applied for WSOp a year ago, the whole pocess for him took 3 month at the most. This was his second attempt through RAF Cranwell though.

Can anyone suggest an interesting topic regarding avaition that i could talk about in an 8 minute presentation?
Any thoughts would be great.
Rhys.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know how they assign slots for OASC. Maybe they just had a spare place at that time because someone dropped out, or maybe they have a place for a candidates for a particular branch;who knows.
I do

I think heapsey's emailed me to ask the same question; or there're two people with bizarrely similar problems.

Boards have to be balanced; there's no point recruiting all our pilots in August as they'd all pop out of IOT and require training at the same time; likewise small branches like Int need to space their people out a bit.

6FS people are a law unto themselves as they're not competing for a space at IOT; likewise sponsorship candidates.
soja
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
What branch are you applying for?
Maybe numbers of people applying have dropped due to the end of the acedemic year shift? A friend applied for WSOp a year ago, the whole pocess for him took 3 month at the most. This was his second attempt through RAF Cranwell though.

Can anyone suggest an interesting topic regarding avaition that i could talk about in an 8 minute presentation?
Any thoughts would be great.
Rhys.
You may wish to get newspaper information about RAF sorties in Iraq. What you think RAF could have done better by adopting a different approach. I reckon that will 'expire' the 8 minuets.
Cheers.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Going for my filter interview in a couple of hours, and feeling a bit nervous. I'd best get off this site and go do some more reading...not that it will do me any good now!!
Matilda
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi, I am currently a University student considering becoming a pilot. I have always wanted to fly ever since I was a child. What would you say were the most important skills required to become a fighter pilot?

Dale
Well you definately have to intrested in aviation and have a knowledge of planes, You need to be very practical in your approach to things and the most important qualities you need are a caring attitude and you should be very safety concious. Good eye sight is also key and a good attention to detail because navigation is a vital part of work as a pilot.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Matilda)
Well you definately have to intrested in aviation and have a knowledge of planes, You need to be very practical in your approach to things and the most important qualities you need are a caring attitude and you should be very safety concious. Good eye sight is also key and a good attention to detail because navigation is a vital part of work as a pilot.

I think that question was asked and answered over 18 months ago!! :confused: the person asking it is probably in the RAF or is now well aware of what the requirements are!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (262)
33.98%
No (509)
66.02%

Watched Threads