RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Had my filter interview today, which wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Mostly asked about my family, background, hobbies/interests and a bit about being a medical officer. It seemed to go O.K...so fingers crossed.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rhys)
Can anyone suggest an interesting topic regarding avaition that i could talk about in an 8 minute presentation?
Any thoughts would be great.
Rhys.
TSR 2. Great story, easily covers 10 mins.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soja)
You may wish to get newspaper information about RAF sorties in Iraq. What you think RAF could have done better by adopting a different approach. I reckon that will 'expire' the 8 minuets.
Cheers.
Errr... what did we do wrong there? KICAS is awesome, warfighting for grand strategy less so, but what's your point?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Matilda)
Well you definately have to intrested in aviation and have a knowledge of planes,
Why do you need to know about woodwork?

You need to be very practical in your approach to things
Have you met any pilots?

and the most important qualities you need are a caring attitude
You DEFINATELY haven't met any instructors...!!

and you should be very safety concious.
I'll give you that one.

Good eye sight is also key
It is.

and a good attention to detail because navigation is a vital part of work as a pilot.
Also true. Ish.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
TSR 2 ?

I guess I'm showing my ignorance again!
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
TSR 2 was an aircraft we developed in the 50's and 60's for Tactical Strike and Reconnaissance (hence TSR) which was well ahead of its time (some of the avionics are still used on Tornados). But due to pressure from America because the TSR 2 was vastly more capable than the F111 that they were trying to export at the time and a new Government the programme was shut down in 1965 in favour of buying the F111 which we later cancelled and finally bought F4 Phantom II's.

That is a brief synopsis of the story.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
TSR 2 was an aircraft we developed in the 50's and 60's for Tactical Strike and Reconnaissance (hence TSR) which was well ahead of its time (some of the avionics are still used on Tornados). But due to pressure from America because the TSR 2 was vastly more capable than the F111 that they were trying to export at the time and a new Government the programme was shut down in 1965 in favour of buying the F111 which we later cancelled and finally bought F4 Phantom II's.

That is a brief synopsis of the story.
And now, instead of ignorant, I feel all edumacated.... or something.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
TSR 2 ?

I guess I'm showing my ignorance again!
Wolf is pretty much spot on. Check out the thread in the careers forum on Military and Political Blunders, or something like that. It's a real pity.

It gets mentioned during Operation Studies on IOT, and was the bit that really got to me.
soja
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Errr... what did we do wrong there? KICAS is awesome, warfighting for grand strategy less so, but what's your point?
That's the point: nothing wrong was done. But even a brilliant performance should be subjected to close scrutinization. Just read the news and tell then your suggestion. You may prefer to adopt humanitarian, strategic, pro-active etc. topic themes and tell them your view.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soja)
That's the point: nothing wrong was done. But even a brilliant performance should be subjected to close scrutinization. Just read the news and tell then your suggestion. You may prefer to adopt humanitarian, strategic, pro-active etc. topic themes and tell them your view.

:confused:
steve_nels
Report 14 years ago
hi guys, just passed my second interview for the UAS so really pleased. Got to go to cranwell in two weeks or so i think, so should be fun. What is the medical like at cranwell for UAS? is it just as strict as OASC? As far as im aware its all the same except the interviews and group plannin excercises etc are not included. Am i right?cheers guys
JMC
Report 14 years ago
You wont have x-rays.

Basically you get a medical with a dr, urine test, hearing test, eye test and have your measurments taken. You then go and have the results reviewed with the president of the medical board.

One point of advice- clean boxers!! You get checked to make sure you still have both of your testicles and are in your boxers for your measurements.

I was down last week and the layout of the day was like this:
6.30 Breakfast
7.30 Medicals- heaps of hanging about, reading magazines and watching the TV
1300 Yes thats right, 5 hours later you finish your medicals!!! Lunch
1400 Aptitude

No-one in our group knew we had aptitude so you can imagine the surprise, we all thought we were in! Gutted to say the least!!
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
My goodness! This is the longest thread I've ever seen!
nah, some goes up to hundreds of pages long...........
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's gone eerily quiet on this thread. Where is everyone??
Locost Builder
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
It's gone eerily quiet on this thread. Where is everyone??
Reading the News. Filter interview was easy enough then Nikki ? Told ya!!!
Did you submit the draft you sent me ?

A friend of mine just came back from OASC the other day.
She was sent home after Part 1 - Interview was her failing.
I couldn't believe it. If anyone was going to get through, she was.
She said she'd had a right obnoxious RAFRegt Officer for the interview who interrupted, argued and be-littled her.
She'd applied for EngO, basically we are both non-commissioned Ground Engineers already. Both instructors too. I wasn't bothered about the interview as I stand up and do it all day for a living. Now I don't know what to think.
Another colleague was accepted a few weeks before for Admin Trainer. There is no justice - he's a SCOUSER.
REME-Bod, did I ask you if your date was Dec 7th too?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Locost Builder)
Reading the News. Filter interview was easy enough then Nikki ? Told ya!!!
Did you submit the draft you sent me ?

A friend of mine just came back from OASC the other day.
She was sent home after Part 1 - Interview was her failing.
I couldn't believe it. If anyone was going to get through, she was.
She said she'd had a right obnoxious RAFRegt Officer for the interview who interrupted, argued and be-littled her.
She'd applied for EngO, basically we are both non-commissioned Ground Engineers already. Both instructors too. I wasn't bothered about the interview as I stand up and do it all day for a living. Now I don't know what to think.
Another colleague was accepted a few weeks before for Admin Trainer. There is no justice - he's a SCOUSER.
REME-Bod, did I ask you if your date was Dec 7th too?

Can't sleep, so thought if I came on here it might send me back to sleep.The filter interview seemed to go fine thanks, but like you said, you just never know. I ended up submitting a shortened version of my PS, with a bit of help from our resident expert here (thanks Wzz).

Your friend's interview experience doesn't sound too good, but that doesn't mean yours will be the same. I think it can be more difficult for people who do it for living, because the expectations on your performance are higher. I'm sure you'll be fine though. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Locost
did your friend say what she done during the interview when the git officer was interupting and being a git ?

Nikki
Mind me asking what this draft/report was for?
Also if you dont mind, if you could tell me a bit more about your expence with the filter interview?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Locost
did your friend say what she done during the interview when the git officer was interupting and being a git ?

Nikki
Mind me asking what this draft/report was for?
Also if you dont mind, if you could tell me a bit more about your expence with the filter interview?
When you complete the application for 6FS, it provides a page for additional info to support the application. So I did a personal statement setting out education, academic/non academic achievements, hobbies and interests, work experience etc to put in here. Obviously everything was focused around the RAF and medicine to demonstrate my commitment/enthusiasm/qualities etc. I'm not sure if you get the space to do this in all applications, or if it's just something specific to 6FS's.

I'll pm you a copy of the q's I got asked at the filter interview. When are you going?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
When you complete the application for 6FS, it provides a page for additional info to support the application. So I did a personal statement setting out education, academic/non academic achievements, hobbies and interests, work experience etc to put in here. Obviously everything was focused around the RAF and medicine to demonstrate my commitment/enthusiasm/qualities etc. I'm not sure if you get the space to do this in all applications, or if it's just something specific to 6FS's.

I'll pm you a copy of the q's I got asked at the filter interview. When are you going?
thanks for explaining that. That would be great if you can send me the q's.
Im not going any time too soon anyway. Ive still to put the application in. Just going through the check boxes so to speak of the area's that they like to see before I do
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
thanks for explaining that. That would be great if you can send me the q's.
Im not going any time too soon anyway. Ive still to put the application in. Just going through the check boxes so to speak of the area's that they like to see before I do

No probs.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads